What is considered the 'home page'

So i was comparing the two sites, old and new and a thought occurred to me. I don't know how everyone else does it, but when i go to mythweavers i go to the front page, check the sidebar to see if any of my games have updated, or there are any new posts under game ads.

This front page lets me do all those things at a glance, but the new site seems to be more split up. On the new site the first thing you see is Announcements and Site Discussion. You can't see your My Games, nor game ads or many other forums at a glance. you have to either scroll down to specifically look, or you have to change pages - to Advertisements in this cases - to see My Games and any ads that are currently up.

For me, this would mean that the 'home page' i would go to most often is Advertisements, so i can see My Games and any games that are advertising and maybe check the front page for for the Gaming Discussion, GM workshop and other General Community stuff. I'm just wondering if this would mean, for myself at least but maybe for others that the Forums page might get less use, because things aren't as easy to see at a glance there, and most of the gaming stuff i need i on another page.

I wouldn't really call this a problem or anything, but its certainly my first impressions that i got when i logged in and went looking for the My Games sidebar and the things i use most (ads and adjacent). ALso, as an aside, where will Game Planning sit on the new site?

Update: My Games should appear on the left side (or on top when scrolling on mobile). If you aren't in a game, it is not visible.

As to forum layout on the main page, this is one layout currently being tested. We will be at some point testing out a block layout instead, which should fit more into view instead of having to scroll through. Beta and all, some of this is going to be testing out what's nicer for aesthetics. 🙂

I 100% understand beta. I spent many of my formative years beta and QR testing sites and problems, so i'm trying not to get my picky eyes out just yet. I just had some initial thoughts.

I'm assuming that the two sites will be up alongside each other for some time so people have time to sync everything up, like manually coping over games and things like that. I noticed this because i saw some people - like myself - don't have up to date post counts, but some do, so i'm assuming that the initial copy missed some things.

There should be no reason NOT to copy things over now, right? I think i heard that there will be no wipe of the beta site so we might as well move some stuff if we wanted. I also heard that you can make private games as sort of workshops for yourself, is this true?

Edit: Also since i'm here - and maybe i'm just missing it - is there an 'online indicator' on posts. On the old site there was a  little green bubble, but i don't see anything similar on this one.

Thanks.

Edited by Neopopulas (see edit history)

Any reason not to copy things over: None at all, now is a great time to start moving stuff!

As to an online indicator, I don't believe there is at present... But we're still digging through what is and isn't available with some of the core features, and we may have just not found it yet. Even if it is not a core feature, it may be a plug-in option in the future, when the more important stuff has been completed.

On 5/1/2022 at 8:20 AM, Colin said:

@Neopopulas I'm digging through this a bit in the Discord to get answers right now, but do you not have a "My Games" and "Upcoming Events" box on the left side of your screen?

Looks like this

unknown.png

I have that, but the "My Games" doesn't seem to have any indicator that someone has posted to that game. Am I just missing it?

1 hour ago, Ezeze said:

I have that, but the "My Games" doesn't seem to have any indicator that someone has posted to that game. Am I just missing it?

Nope, it just doesn’t exist. It is on our radar to create a plug-in (pretty much what has to happen for anything not natively present in Invision) to show game activity on the icon soon, there’s just a mountain of plug-ins to create through the beta in addition to all the CSS tweaks that are being implemented for aesthetics. 🙂

@Neopopulas Update to this, while we're still working on post indicators (custom plugin territory, lower priority item currently), you can add custom activity streams. It won't show on your game icon, but for the moment it will at least notify you of activity.

We actually have a RSS of this example for my game, and a bot in my Discord that notifies the game OOC channel when there's a new post.

image.png.af0d093423fc9824bde060a339cb8427.png