(Closed to new interest) Interest Check - Root: the Roleplaying Game

spacer.pngArt by Kyle Ferrin

Root: The Roleplaying Game by Magpie Games is a Powered By The Apocalypse RPG based on the popular board game from Leder Games about cute animals waging bloody war for control of the Woodland.

The Woodland is in a time of strife. The Eyrie Dynasties, once unquestioned rulers of the forest's clearings, fell into disarray and infighting. Into the power vacuum came the Marquisate du Cat, a foreign power with eyes on the Woodland's rich resources. But the remnants of the Eyrie have regrouped and are ready to attempt to regain their former glory. Further, some of the denizens have decided that they would rather prefer self-rule and banded together to form the Woodland Alliance, with the goal of ousting the other powers. And other factions are taking the opportunity to make their own plays as well.

Players take on the roles of vagabonds, those animals who for various reasons stand outside of normal society, owing allegiance to no faction but themselves. Explorers, couriers, mercenaries, thieves, and con artists; vagabonds can be any and all of these, and a band of them could easily shift the power balance in the Woodlands.

I picked up this game a while ago, and lately I have been in the mood to try actually running a game here on Myth-Weavers. So I am currently reading through the rules again. I have run PBtA games offline in the past (chiefly Dungeon World), and I think Root would be a fun time. I have both the core book and the Travelers & Outsiders book, so all those options will be available.

I'm interested mostly in running the game in a very player-driven way, as a series of individual adventures connected by their decisions, with the larger story evolving out of the impact their actions have on the Woodland at large. I'm even planning on letting the players decide which factions are in play.

So what do you say? Is there any interest in playing?

Edited by Illogictree (see edit history)

Count me in. I greatly enjoy PbtA and I am very familiar with Root. I have yet to play this game, though, so I would like to remedy that. Will I need any materials to join this game or would you be able/willing to walk those of us without the book(s) through character creation?

9 hours ago, Feirgon said:

Count me in. I greatly enjoy PbtA and I am very familiar with Root. I have yet to play this game, though, so I would like to remedy that. Will I need any materials to join this game or would you be able/willing to walk those of us without the book(s) through character creation?

I'm planning on sharing the playbooks and references for the shared moves so that players have access to them, but I will definitely be aiding in character creation. Root RPG has some differences from the other PbtA games I've played/read that might need highlighting.

I've tried to run PbtA games a few times now with very little success. I recently watched a couple of live play sessions and realized i want giving players options... Oops.

That said, I'm always interested to see how other people run a game like that! And i think i have Root too. Would be a good excuse to use the book lol. Plus who doesn't like to rp little woodsy critters? 💜

10 hours ago, Malkavian Grin said:

I've tried to run PbtA games a few times now with very little success. I recently watched a couple of live play sessions and realized i want giving players options... Oops.

That said, I'm always interested to see how other people run a game like that! And i think i have Root too. Would be a good excuse to use the book lol. Plus who doesn't like to rp little woodsy critters? 💜

In my experience PbtA is quite different to GM than D&D. It actually took me quite a while to figure out how it was supposed to work and what it was doing.

And yes, the only thing better than RPing little woodsy critters is RPing little woodsy critters waging war and stabbing each other in the back. 😄