Chapter 02e: Shadow of War (Battle at Steel Springs)

Date

On This Kirinor, the 2nd Day of Yurthgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Sunday, March 27, 351 AC)

The 12th Day of the Campaign - About 3:00 PM

• Solinari: 1st Quarter
  • Lunitari: FULL (advantage to cast Illusion and Transmutation spells & disadvantage against such spells)
  • Nuitari: Waning Gibbous

Battle at Steel Springs

Castle Kalaman

You set off bright and early in the morning on the 12th day of the campaign (2nd day of Yurthgreen)—about an hour after sunrise. The walk back to Kalaman is 24 miles—eight hours at a normal pace, getting you back to Kalaman around 3 hours after noon.

The trip from Wheelwatch back to Kalaman is uneventful. On your return to Castle Kalaman, Merituuli notices that the castle is unusually quiet. When you all report to Marshal Vendri’s office, an aide informs you that the marshal is away from Kalaman and shares the following facts:

• After the characters left Kalaman, the city council got word that a contingent of Dragon Army troops had broken away from the larger force.
  • Tired of measured steps, members of Kalaman’s leadership—spurred by Lord Bakaris—demanded Kalaman’s military ride out to seize a victory.
  • With Marshal Vendri away leading troops further west, Governor Miat approved the strike.
  • Lord Bakaris and his son are leading the attack. Darrett is serving under them.
  • They plan to ambush the Red Dragon Army near a crossing of the Inkwater called Steel Springs, thirty miles west of Kalaman.

The aide knows nothing more, but before the characters leave, the aide discreetly slips them a sealed note signed by Darrett that reads as follows:

Note from Darrett

Come at once. Bakaris is leading us to ruin at Steel Springs. He’s the commander of this mission, and I can’t disobey. I’ll do what I can, but I need your help.

—Darrett

If you all seek out Governor Miat, he’s busy conducting other business with the city’s guild leaders and won’t be available for hours. Even if you do end up finding him, he isn’t a military leader; he doesn’t understand your concern, and can do little now that the troops have already been sent.

OOC

As this is technically the beginning of the next chapter section, I’ve copied it over from the previous thread.

Dame Michelle Folketh    The aide in Marshal Vendri’s office does at least lead you over to a table where a very large map is glued to the surface. She hands you a parchment, some ink, and a quill and shows you where Steel Springs is. She points out the most efficient route.

That’s when it sets in. The journey is 30 miles!

You just spent the last 8 hours traveling 24 miles. If you don’t take a long rest, you’ll be taking levels of exhaustion.

On your way out, as you make your way through a hallway one level down to get to the main staircase, behind you, you all hear a familiar woman’s voice shout, “Modri!” followed by two men’s voices of “Miss! Come back here!” and “You dare run!?”

Before Modri can barely turn around, he’s veritably glomped by Lady Michelle—and despite her size, the strength of the knight she used to be is still definitely present. “Modri! You’re back!”

She’s dressed very nicely—a dress that a former colleague of yours bought for her. “I was just turning in some paperwork—mounds of it, really—”

“Miss! You’re coming with us!”

“Oh, do shut up and know your place!!” Lady Michelle says, turning to the guards and giving them guards a death-glare that means she means business. They back off but keep their hands on the hilts of their swords, grumbling about ‘entitled nobility’.

Lady Michelle’s death-glare instantly melts and turns into a bright, happy smile when she turns back to Modri. She gives him a much more civil hug, welcoming him ‘home’, so to speak. “I knew you’d come back to me! Let me look at you! Oh, my! That shield! How impressive! If I weren’t mistaken, I’d say those are the scales of a dragonelle—you must have met a captain or higher! How exciting! You killed them, right? You ground them into the dus—ahem . . . I mean, you vanquished your dishonorable foe! You simply must to tell me all about it!”

She backs off and looks him up and down, making sure he’s not injured. Satisfied, she turns to the rest of the party. “Sir Artanis,” she says, giving him a curtsy, “Ms. Hunni, Mr. Merituuli, Apprentice Coltan, I’m glad to see you all safe and returned to us as well. I don’t believe I’ve met your friends . . .”

Map

image.png.48d4978e8f364ab3d3ae103af1c29f89.png
Steel Springs is a crossing 30 miles west of Kalaman

Wyhan’s

Wyhan   When Hunni checks in with Wyhan about her membership in the Mages of High Sorcery, Wyhan informs you that her contacts have not gotten back to her, yet, and that she will send you a message as soon as word arrives.

As for Arlo, she raises an eyebrow at the idea that he’s been denied permission to join. “Great changes are in motion,” she says, “and those that cling to incorrect beliefs and ‘rules’ do not only themselves a disservice, but perhaps doom us all. If you are interested in membership, I shall ensure you are tested just the same as any other. Pass the test—if you can—and any who refuse your membership shall find themselves . . . disciplined. Their appeals to ‘rules’ shall not so much fall upon deaf ears, as . . . fall dead at the feet of those who really rule.”

“We cannot afford to discriminate—especially in light of the current climate—than we could afford to let some half-cocked human wizard walk around casting spells willy-nilly without membership. Kender you might be, but a mage you are nonetheless. Refusing you membership is tacit permission for you to perform magic without the yoke of rules that weighs upon all of us.”

“. . . Just to be sure, kender, I did not drop, lose, or discard anything in this shop, so for your own sake, make sure that you didn’t accidentally . . . ‘find’ . . . anything of mine you haven’t paid for. Now, if neither of you wants to buy anything, stop wasting my time and get out.”

Wyhan is, if nothing else, a snooty and condescending asshole.

As Arlo begins walking out the door, he finds himself unable to leave. An object in the breast pocket of his vest seems to be immovable past the lintel. He turns around to find Wyhan’s amused, if cold visage staring him down.
   Rolling her eyes, she snaps her fingers and a potion vial full of a shimmering blue, effervescent liquid flies up, out of his pocket. It rockets back towards a display table; and just when you think it will explode upon impact, it instead dexterously whips up and settles gently back down to where it originally was.
   “Off you go,” she says, making a shooing motion. Both Arlo and Hunni find some unseen force seemingly pick them up and deposit them outside her shop and the door shut behind them.

Statblocks

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Level 5 Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC17 Splint armor, lieutenant dragonarmy uniform
+2 Shield, dragonarmy
+1 Cloak of Protection
20 | HP 51/51 (5d8+15+5) | HD 5/5 | Speed 30 ft.

Senses Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 17, Insight 14, Investigation 13
Str 14 (+2) | Dex 8 (–1) | Con 16 (+3) | Int 10 (+0) | Wis 18 (+4) | Cha 10 (+0)
Magic +7 DC 15 | Channel 1/1 | Cantrips | 1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | 3rd 2/2

Languages Speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

Coltan appreciates the long walk to Kalaman. Many fond memories were made along trails with his parents traveling from one settlement to the next bringing smithing skills to those without.

Pouring over the map, Coltan asks the aide, "is there an available wagon or mounts to carry us faster or at least get us further without exhausting ourselves?" Whatever the answer, he suggests to his companions, "let's rest and recover ourselves now, and leave as soon as possible. Lunitari is full, so we should have moonlight to guide us. And, I suggest we gear up in dragonarmy uniforms, in case we run into the enemy. I can always deliver some prisoners to their commanders, if you know what I mean."

On their way out, he greets Lady Michelle with a respectful nod understanding he is not the dwarf with her attention. With a bolt of inspiration, he coughs to politely break into the conversation between Michelle and Modri. "Lady Michelle, would you have some time in the next few hours to train me how to act like a lieutenant in the dragonarmy? I'm thinking to put your old armor to work, and I bet there's a lot that I don't know." He fishes from his pack and shows her the lieutenant insignia that Reorx created for him to install on his armor and his shouldered dragonarmy shield.

OOC

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Action:

Reaction:

Concentration:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 3 magic, fire damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 3 magic, fire damage.

Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 2 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 2 bludgeoning damage.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Spell-casting: +7 or DC 15 | 1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | 3rd 2/2

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.
  4. Mending (V,S,M). This spell repairs a single break or tear in an object you touch, such as broken chain link, two halves of a broken key, a torn cloak, or a leaking wineskin. As long as the break or tear is no larger than 1 foot in any dimension, you mend it, leaving no trace of the former damage. This spell can physically repair a magic item or construct, but the spell can't restore magic to such an object.

1st level spells prepared

• Forge Domain: Identify (V,S,M) Ritual. You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.
  • Forge Domain: Searing Smite (V). The next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during the spell's duration, your weapon flares with white-hot intensity, and the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target and causes the target to ignite in flames. At the start of each of its turns until the spell ends, the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the spell ends. If the target or a creature within 5 feet of it uses an action to put out the flames, or if some other effect douses the flames (such as the target being submerged in water), the spell ends.
  1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Concentration, Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

2nd-Level Spells Prepared

• Forge Domain: Heat Metal (V,S,M) Concentration. Choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, that you can see within range. You cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage when you cast the spell. Until the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again. If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes the damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn't drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the start of your next turn.
  • Forge Domain: Magic Weapon (V,S) Concentration. You touch a nonmagical weapon. Until the spell ends, that weapon becomes a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls.
  • 6. Spiritual Weapon (V,S) Bonus. When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon. On a hit, the target takes force damage equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.
  • 7. Lesser Restoration (V,S). You touch a creature and can end either one disease or one condition afflicting it. The condition can be blinded, deafened, paralyzed, or poisoned.
  • 8. Silence (V,S) Concentration, Ritual. For the duration, no sound can be created within or pass through a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on a point you choose within range. Any creature or object entirely inside the sphere is immune to thunder damage, and creatures are deafened while entirely inside it. Casting a spell that includes a verbal component is impossible there.

3rd-Level Spells Prepared

• Forge Domain: Elemental Weapon (V,S) Concentration. A nonmagical weapon you touch becomes a magic weapon. Choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. For the duration, the weapon has a +1 bonus to attack rolls and deals an extra 1d4 damage of the chosen type when it hits.
  • Forge Domain: Protection from Energy (V,S) Concentration. For the duration, the willing creature you touch has resistance to one damage type of your choice: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder.
  • 9. Spirit Guardians: (V,S,M) Concentration. You call forth angelic spirits to protect you. They flit around you to a distance of 15 feet for the duration. When you cast this spell, you can designate any number of creatures you can see to be unaffected by it. An affected creature's speed is halved in the area, and when the creature enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, it must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 3d8 radiant damage. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage.

Channel Divinity: 1/1 short rest

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. Starting at 5th level, when an undead of CR 1/2 or lower fails its saving throw against your Turn Undead feature, the creature is instantly destroyed.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Artisan's Blessing. You conduct an hour-long ritual that crafts a nonmagical item that must include some metal: a simple or martial weapon, a suit of armor, ten pieces of ammunition, a set of tools, or another metal object (see chapter 5, "Equipment," in the Player's Handbook for examples of these items). The creation is completed at the end of the hour, coalescing in an unoccupied space of your choice on a surface within 5 feet of you.  The thing you create can be something that is worth no more than 100 gp. As part of this ritual, you must lay out metal, which can include coins, with a value equal to the creation. The metal irretrievably coalesces and transforms into the creation at the ritual's end, magically forming even nonmetal parts of the creation. The ritual can create a duplicate of a nonmagical item that contains metal, such as a key, if you possess the original during the ritual.

War Caster

• You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
  • You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
  • When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 18 (+1Dex + 4Con + 3Shield ) | HP: 75/75 (5d12+20+10+5) | Speed: 25'
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 18 (+4) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

Wild Surge Rages: 3/3 | Magic Awareness: 2/2

Darkvision 60' | Dwarven Resilience | Stonecunning | Unarmored Defense | Danger Sense | Reckless Attack | Extra Attack | Fast Movement

+1 Red Dragonnel Shield+1 shield that offers resistance to fire damage

“My words,” Modri said. | ‘My thoughts,’ Modri thought. | My actions . . .

"Ahar! Lioness!" Modri matches Michele's enthusiasm and doesn't mind a bit being glomped. As Coltan speaks Modri nods in agreement. "As Coltan says, got some extra armor and uniforms to go around, likely a few of us could use some lessons just in case. But honestly, was a lot less of a fight than we thought. With the help of those three, was one of the easier fights of this conflict. I'm sure that Dragonnel would've been mighty fierce against one or two of us, but not over half-a-dozen capable warriors focusing it down."

He points to their likely newest members. "Fairla Sunnybank, Arlo Thistleknot, Vigdan Luchen, this is the Lady Michelle Folketh. I'll let you all say what you feel is worth saying. As to Michelle, we uh... ah heck, I'll just say it. She spent some time with the Red Dragon Army. It's all right now. Now she runs the land we're keeping the refugees at. Ah, which reminds me, don't let me leave without er... providing a donation to the people." In truth, Modri had planned not to give the money he planned to be donated to the refugees to Michelle, not wanting to make a big deal or fuss. However, chances are they wouldn't have time to return to her barony, and what mattered was giving the gold to the people.

OOC

Movement: -

Bonus Action: -

Action: -

Reaction: Sentinel in effect

Vigdan 'The Dog' Luchen

Variant Human Smuggler Scout Rogue

smuggler1-2.png.53cb73f51d778015c4d7e51e12f5e926.png

AC: 16 (Studded Leather, +4 Dex) | HP: 43/43 | Speed: 30 ft.

Senses: passive Perception 15, Insight 15, Investigation 12
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 18 (+4) | Con: 12 (+1) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Solamnic and Thieves' Cant

“My words,” Vigdan said. | ‘My thoughts’ Vigdan thought. | My actions . . .

Vigdan curses quietly when he hears that Lord Bakaris has left the city. Speaking to Artanis, "I'm no military man, Sir Knight. But I do know how to turn someone's attention when I want them focused somewhere else. Lord Bakaris and those men are meant to hold Kalaman while Marshall Vendri is away to the west. Now they're going to Steel Springs and so are we. The whole thing stinks like a trap if you ask me."

He studies the map, looking at the route that's been drawn in and nods slowly.

In the hallway, he bows awkwardly, "My Lady" Listening as Modri recounts her past misdeeds and current duties, he interjects with hesitation, casting a glance at the others. "Well, uh.., I know my past is a little, uh..less than perfect, my lady. But it's what you're doing now that matters. I knew a lot of them folks from Vogler well and it's good that you're taking care of them. If there's anything I can do to help. Money or supplies or whatever, I'd be happy to help." He looks slightly embarrassed at the last.

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Arrows: 17/20

OOC:

token_1.png.451fa62d12c0f2185636025bbfd5d519.pngArlo Thistleknott

Kender Entertainer Arcane Trickster Rogue

AC: 16 (Studded Leather) | HP: 48/48 | Speed: 40 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 18, Insight 15, Investigation 16
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 18 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Kenderspeak, and Thieves' Cant

Arlo is delighted by all of his new friends, but Hunni is currently his favorite for teaching him the song. He likes that Coltan's hammer can flame, and thinks that if he's very good perhaps Coltan will let him turn the flames on. Merituuli has an osprey, which Arlo feels is a sterling character reference. Since the bird likes the sea elf, Arlo does too. He feels a little intimidated by Artanis because none of the knights he's met have appreciated having a Kender around. Still, Artanis seems nice. Arlo is a little scared of Modri after seeing how ferociously the dwarf fights, but he's reassured by how friendly Modri is after the battle.

All goes well until Hunni mentions eating one of his new rat friends. Arlo stops blowing on the pipes and gives her a horrified look. "Hunni," he says with complete sincereity, "rats are friends, not food."

Back in Kalaman, Arlo feels a little overawed by the palace, which he'd never been allowed in before. His eyes go wide as Lady Michelle introduces himself and then wider still when Modri mentions that she "spent time" with the Red Dragonarmy. "I'm Arlo Thistlenott," he says when she turns her attention to him. "I'm from Kendermore, and I'm looking for my Uncle Trapspringer. Did you know that he once ended up in an ogre's stewpot? He convinced the ogre that Kender taste better when they're in a salad, rather than a stew, and it turned out the ogre didn't like salad, so he let Uncle Trapspringer go. But I'm not sure where he's gone since then. Do you?"

When Hunni takes him to Wyhan's shop, Arlo realizes that this is the first time he's ever actually been allowed in a mageware shop. He mostly listens to Wyhan as she gives a good speech about why Kender should be mages, but there are too many wonderful things around him to really pay attention to her. He sees a cuckoo-clock that is running backwards, a jade toad that actually hops, and so many other marvelous things. Something clinks against his foot, and he looks down to find a potion vial filled with blue liquid. Someone must have dropped this, he thinks to himself and bends down to pick it up. Before he can give it back to Wyhan, he gets distracted by rows and rows of spellbooks on a bookcase. While he's paying attention to them, his hand absentmindedly puts the vial in one of his pouches for safe keeping. And then Wyhan's speech is over, and she's hurrying them out of the shop, which is a shame because Arlo was really interested in buying something, and then the door, which is open, does something an open door has never done before and refuses to let him leave. Before he can do anything, Wyhan magics the potion that he forgot about out of his pocket and back onto a shelf. As the magical force helps him leave the shop in style, Arlo calls out behind his shoulder, "You must have dropped that! I'm glad I helped you find it!"

Outside the store, he smiles at Hunni. "That was amazing. Wyhan may be even more awesome than Par-Salian, which I didn't know was possible. Do you think she'd let me join the Black Robes? I'd like to be able to see Nuitari, and I hear that only Black Robes can. It's odd that there's a moon that most people can't see, don't you think? Can we study for the Test of High Sorcery together?"

OOC

Action: 
Move: 
Bonus Action:

Taunt: 3/3
Spell Slots: 3/3 1st Level
Pipes of the Sewers: 3/3 charges

fairla_token.png.3ec0cf634c791239cd69134297408c22.pngFairla Sunnybank

Human Mage of High Sorcery Abjuration Wizard

AC: 12 (Mage Armor AC: 15) | HP: 32/32 (5d6+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses (passive): Perception 9, Insight 9, Investigation 17
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 18 (+4) | Wis: 8 (-1) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, Gnomish, Kenderspeak, Primordial, and Solamnic
Arcane Recovery
: 2 spell levels per LR | Arcane Ward: 14/14 HP

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions...

Looking over the map, Fairla says, "I agree, Vigdan. A river crossing may be a good place to stop the Dragon Army's advance, but it does seem like an awfully big risk to leave the city without its military. If we are to travel to Steel Springs, I second the notion that a wagon would be best, if we can get one." She shifts her weight to ease the stiffness of legs already sore from hours of walking. "To that end, I do have a horse here in town I can bring." Inwardly, Fairla adds, 'and I'm going to have to pay additional stabling fees if I don't pick her up soon.'

Fairla bows to the noblewoman when introduced. "Lady Michelle, it is an honor to meet you. To host refugees during these times... If there be anything I can do as well to support your work, please just say the word."

Fairla would be in favor of leaving for Steel Spring as quickly as possible after a few hours of rest. During the afternoon, she visits a magic shop (one not run by a black-robed mage, if she can find it) to purchase the inks and materials required to add Sleep to her spellbook and finds a quiet place to copy the spell over.

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Object Interaction:

Spells

Spellcasting

Modifier (Int): +4
Spell Attack: +7
Save DC: 15

Cantrips

1. Fire Bolt
  2. Light
  3. Mage Hand
  4. Mending
  5. Prestidigitation

1st-Level
3/4 Spell Slots

1. ( ) Absorb Elements
  2. ( ) Alarm [R]
  3. (P) Comprehend Languages [R]
  4. ( ) Detect Magic [R]
  5. ( ) Feather Fall
  6. ( ) Floating Disk [R]
  7. (p) Grease
  8. (p) Mage Armor
  9. (p) Magic Missile
  10. (P) Shield
  11. ( ) Unseen Servant [R]

2nd-Level
3/3 Spell Slots

1. (p) Detect Thoughts [c]
  2. (p) Hold Person [c]
  3. (p) Invisibility [c]
  4. (P) Lesser Restoration
  5. (p) Misty Step

3rd-Level
2/2 Spell Slots

1. (p) Counterspell
  2. (p) Dispel Magic
  3. ( ) Tiny Hut [R]

Stat Block

%5Bb%5DActions%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%5Bb%5DAttacks%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%5Bb%5DFirebolt%20(120%20ft.)%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B7%202d10%20Fire%0A%5Bb%5DQuarterstaff%20(5%20ft.)%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B3%201d6(8)%20Bludgeoning%0A%5Bb%5DSpells%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%20%20%20%20You%20can%20cast%20each%20of%20the%20chosen%20spells%20(%5Bi%5DComprehend%20Languages%5B%2Fi%5D%2C%20%5Bi%5DLesser%20Restoration%5B%2Fi%5D%2C%20%5Bi%5DShield%5B%2Fi%5D)%20without%20a%20spell%20slot%2C%20and%20you%20must%20finish%20a%20long%20rest%20before%20you%20can%20cast%20them%20in%20this%20way%20again.%20You%20can%20also%20cast%20the%20spells%20using%20any%20spell%20slots%20you%20have%20of%20the%20appropriate%20level.%0A%0A%5Bb%5DBonus%20Actions%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%20%20%20%20%5Bb%5DTelekinetic%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%20As%20a%20bonus%20action%2C%20you%20can%20try%20to%20telekinetically%20shove%20one%20creature%20you%20can%20see%20within%2030%20feet%20of%20you.%20When%20you%20do%20so%2C%20the%20target%20must%20succeed%20on%20a%20Strength%20saving%20throw%20(DC%2015)%20or%20be%20moved%205%20feet%20toward%20or%20away%20from%20you.%20A%20creature%20can%20willingly%20fail%20this%20save.%20%0A%0A%5Bb%5DReactions%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%20%20%20%20%5Bb%5DShield%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%20An%20invisible%20barrier%20of%20magical%20force%20appears%20and%20protects%20you.%20Until%20the%20start%20of%20your%20next%20turn%2C%20you%20have%20a%20%2B5%20bonus%20to%20AC%2C%20including%20against%20the%20triggering%20attack%2C%20and%20you%20take%20no%20damage%20from%20magic%20missile.%0A%0A%5Bb%5DFeats%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0AInitiate%20of%20High%20Sorcery%0AAdept%20of%20the%20White%20Robes%0ALinguist%0ATelekinetic%0A%5Bb%5D%5B%2Fb%5D
Actions:
Attacks:
Firebolt (120 ft.) +7 2d10 Fire
Quarterstaff (5 ft.) +3 1d6(8) Bludgeoning
Spells:
You can cast each of the chosen spells (Comprehend Languages, Lesser Restoration, Shield) without a spell slot, and you must finish a long rest before you can cast them in this way again. You can also cast the spells using any spell slots you have of the appropriate level.

Bonus Actions:
Telekinetic: As a bonus action, you can try to telekinetically shove one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. When you do so, the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 15) or be moved 5 feet toward or away from you. A creature can willingly fail this save.

Reactions:
Shield: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.

Feats:
Initiate of High Sorcery
Adept of the White Robes
Linguist
Telekinetic

Inventory

Gp: 52 Sp: 4 Cp: 4

Equipped

1. Bag of Holding
  2. Clothes, Common
  3. Healer's Kit
  4. Orb
  5. Quarterstaff
  6. Robes
  7. Spellbook

Bag of Holding

1. Abacus
  2. Backpack
  3. Ball Bearings (bag of 1000)
  4. Bedroll
  5. Bell
  6. Blanket
  7. Block and Tackle
  8. Book
  9. Bottle, Glass
  10. Bucket
  11. Candle
  12. Case, Map or Scroll
  13. Spell Scroll of Sleep
  14. Clothes, Fine
  15. Clothes, Traveler's
  16. Crowbar
  17. Fishing Tackle
  18. Flask
  19. Grappling Hook
  20. Hammer
  21. Hammer, Sledge
  22. Healer's Kit
  23. Ink Pen
  24. Ink, Black
  25. Ink, Blue
  26. Lantern, Hooded
  27. Little Bag of Sand
  28. Manacles
  29. Mess Kit
  30. Oil (flask)
  31. Parchment (sheet)
  32. Perfume (vial)
  33. Pick, Miner's
  34. Piton
  35. Pouch
  36. Rations (1 day)
  37. Rope, Hempen (50 ft.)
  38. Rope, Silk (50 ft.)
  39. Sack
  40. Scale Mail, Red Dragon Army
  41. Scale, Merchant's
  42. Sealing Wax
  43. Shovel
  44. Signal Whistle
  45. Small Knife
  46. Soap
  47. Spikes, Iron
  48. String (10 ft.)
  49. Tent, Two-Person
  50. Tinderbox
  51. Vial
  52. Waterskin
  53. Wine, Common (pitcher) + pitcher
  54. Wine, Fine (bottle)

Riding Horse

1. Bit and Bridle
  2. Riding Saddle
  3. Saddlebags
  4. Feed (10 days)

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Ravenwing, of clan Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 40/40 (hd 5d8) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 15 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 19 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

With a strenuous disagreement, Hunni informs Arlo, "Rats are food. Rats are not friends. Name two rats you are friends with! Besides, rats will eat us if given half a chance, so fair is fair. Rats eat rats, too, so no problems there." She continues walking with him.

After taking him to the store, she nods at his words. "Black robes are your best chance. White robes are all stuck on only using magic for things that aren't fun, and red robes want to be respectable and stuff. My master told me there is an old prophesy, that when a kender gets to join the Mages of High Sorcery, there will be another cataclysm. We did fine the last time, though, so I don't know why they get all stuffy about it. White and Red Robes won't tell you that's why they won't let you in, but that's why they won't let you in. Us black robes aren't so prejudice." She frowns a little. "I'm... Not the best at reading or studying, and I don't know that I can teach you anything that will help with the test. But the tests are different for everyone, and are supposed to be hard, so I don't know how I could help you study even if I were the most well-read mage out there. We can practice magic together, though! That could be fun."

At the meeting with Lady Michelle, Hunni reverts back to her less thoughtful persona, playing with her toys rather than paying as much attention. The new members might notice that she doesn't seem to fully trust the Lady, although she has always supported Modri, and wouldn't say as much. She just seems to show less of herself when the other, less-familiar 'talls' are around. "We will find Lord Barakis, and Modri will spank him and his son. It will be fun!" she comments, and continues humming the Lord Barakis song.

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 7 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10 + cha) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 15, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Improved Pact Weapon varies, usually whip (+1 to hit, damage, spell focus)

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 5) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

Staff of the Python (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d6 +4) bludgeoning damage.
Versatile: (1d8 +4) bludgeoning damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Normally Staff of the Python, but also always Pact Weapon.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  2 / 2, cast at 3rd level, refreshed at short rest

Free Spells from Feats: 1/long rest - Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Suggestion

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 3rd level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 15.  Spell Attack Modifier +7.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite ©, Hex © (feat), Dissonant Whispers (feat), Unseen Servant, Blur ©, Misty Step, Suggestion © (feat), Hunger of Hadar ©
  • Invocations:  Improved Pact Weapon, Agonizing Blast, Thirsting Blade

Life Channel. You can channel your life force into the power of your magic. When a creature you can see within 60 feet of you fails a saving throw against a spell that deals damage that you cast, you can expend a number of Hit Dice equal to the level of the spell. Roll the expended Hit Dice and add them together. The damage that the creature takes increases by an amount equal to that total.

Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location. While wearing this amulet, you are hidden from divination magic. You can't be targeted by such magic or perceived through magical scrying sensors.

MerituuliToken.png.53f9774174cd1fbd27a1aa51cf1736c8.pngMerituuli Kaiutin
Level 5 Sea Elf Far Traveler Beast Master Ranger

AC: 18 (Breastplate, +2 Shield) | HP: 58/58 (5d10+10+10) | HD: 5/5 | Speed: 30 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 20 (Expertise, Darkvision 60 ft.), Insight 17, Investigation 10
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 18 (+4) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Kenderspeak, Kharolian, Khur

“My words” | ‘My thoughts’  | My actions . . .

Merituuli is thankful that the walk back to Kalaman is safe and uneventful. Though the assault on Wheelwatch went rather smoothly, all things considered, it was still an exhausting endeavor, and it was nice to have a quiet moment on the way back to home base. He grows concerned when that quiet continues into Castle Kalaman - Where is everyone? There should be some soldiers here, at the very least...

As it becomes clear why the Castle was so quiet, Merituuli grimaces and shakes his head in clear frustration. "Bakaris... that damnable idiot has done it again. Neither father nor son deserve the power nobility brings them. I agree, this sounds like a distraction ploy by the Red Dragon Army, and even if it wasn't, I'd expect both Bakarises to flee at the first sign of danger." His grimace remains as the others suggest taking some time to rest, and he lets his concerns known - "Darrett's request seems urgent, and I haven't known him to blow things out of proportion... I'm not sure if we have time to rest up, unfortunately. With how overconfident Bakaris is I'd expect him to fall into a trap quickly, so the faster we get there, the better. Wagon's a good idea, some of us would be able to rest on the way, at the very least."

At Lady Michelle's arrival, he greets the former enemy knight warmly with a, "Good to see you again, Lady Michelle!" and his grimace finally shifts into a wide smile as he observes the interactions between her and Modri. He had noticed the dwarf seemed rather fond of her from the get-go... but this was clear confirmation of the fact! He backs up Coltan's idea, stating, "Right, we've gathered enough armor to disguise all of us, actually. Anything you can share that would let us blend in better would be really appreciated, Lady Michelle. Although I don't know how much I can do about my particular shade of skin color or webbed fingers..."

OOC

Alert: Other creatures don't gain advantage on attack rolls against you as a result of being unseen by you.

Concentration:

Bonus Action:

Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Attacks Per Action: 2

Baculite Shell (Shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+4 bludgeoning damage.

Thorn Whip. Melee Spell Attack: +7 to hit, range 30 ft., one target.
Hit: 2d6 piercing damage.

Heavy Crossbow (heavy, loading, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 100/400 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d10+2 piercing damage.

Dagger (finesse, light, thrown). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Baculite Shell (Quarterstaff) (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+1 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage.

Net (thrown, special). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 5/15 ft., one target.
Hit: A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net.

Bonus Actions:

Primal Companion: Take Action. As a bonus action on your turn you command your Primal Companion to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. You can also sacrifice one of your attacks when you take the Attack action to command the beast to take the Attack action. If you are incapacitated, the beast can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge.

Other:

Favored Foe. When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

The first time on each of your turns that you hit the favored enemy and deal damage to it, including when you mark it, you can increase that damage by 1d4.

You can use this feature to mark a favored enemy a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This feature’s extra damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d6 at 6th level and to 1d8 at 14th level.

Friend of the Sea. You can communicate simple ideas to any Beast with a swimming speed. It can understand your words but you cannot understand it in return.

Ammunition:

19/20 Crossbow Bolts

Class Features:

• 3/3 Favored Foe Marks
  • 4/4 1st Level Spells
  • 2/2 2nd Level Spells

Posted (edited)
Date

On This Kirinor, the 2nd Day of Yurthgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Sunday, March 27, 351 AC)

The 12th Day of the Campaign - About 3:00 PM

• Solinari: 1st Quarter
  • Lunitari: FULL (advantage to cast Illusion and Transmutation spells & disadvantage against such spells)
  • Nuitari: Waning Gibbous

Battle at Steel Springs

Castle Kalaman

Pouring over the map, Coltan asks the aide, "is there an available wagon or mounts to carry us faster or at least get us further without exhausting ourselves?" Whatever the answer, he suggests to his companions, "let's rest and recover ourselves now, and leave as soon as possible. Lunitari is full, so we should have moonlight to guide us. And, I suggest we gear up in dragonarmy uniforms, in case we run into the enemy. I can always deliver some prisoners to their commanders, if you know what I mean."

“I can’t imagine that the local wainwrights and cartwrights have run out! They’re easily found, especially around the city gates. Of course, their cost will vary depending on what you’re looking to purchase . . .” the aide informs Coltan.

Looking over the map, Fairla says, "I agree, Vigdan. A river crossing may be a good place to stop the Dragon Army's advance, but it does seem like an awfully big risk to leave the city without its military. If we are to travel to Steel Springs, I second the notion that a wagon would be best, if we can get one." She shifts her weight to ease the stiffness of legs already sore from hours of walking. "To that end, I do have a horse here in town I can bring." Inwardly, Fairla adds, 'and I'm going to have to pay additional stabling fees if I don't pick her up soon.'

“Oh! Wonderful!” the aide says, smiling. “If you’ve already got a horse, that saves you the trouble of buying one to pull the wagon! I’d warn that if it’s a riding horse or a warhorse, it’s probably not best suited to the job of a draft-horse, though—not that they can’t be used to pull a wagon—well, I suppose the warhorse wouldn’t have any issues, but the riding horse might definitely be at a disadvantage . . .”

Vigdan curses quietly when he hears that Lord Bakaris has left the city. Speaking to Artanis, "I'm no military man, Sir Knight. But I do know how to turn someone's attention when I want them focused somewhere else. Lord Bakaris and those men are meant to hold Kalaman while Marshall Vendri is away to the west. Now they're going to Steel Springs and so are we. The whole thing stinks like a trap if you ask me."

The aide sighs. “Sadly, it most likely is,” he concedes. “Unfortunately for all of us, Lord Bakaris is not only entitled to the rank of Captain, but by law, he is duty-bound and obligated to fill that role. Fortunately, the city is still well defended, but that—well, I shan’t break the law besmirching a noble—that . . . person . . . has taken three whole platoons with him.”

With Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Folketh   On their way out, he greets Lady Michelle with a respectful nod understanding he is not the dwarf with her attention. With a bolt of inspiration, he coughs to politely break into the conversation between Michelle and Modri. "Lady Michelle, would you have some time in the next few hours to train me how to act like a lieutenant in the dragonarmy? I'm thinking to put your old armor to work, and I bet there's a lot that I don't know." He fishes from his pack and shows her the lieutenant insignia that Reorx created for him to install on his armor and his shouldered dragonarmy shield.

“Apprentice of Reorx Coltan, I would be honored to lend my aid!” Lady Michelle say when one of the guards butts in. “I can—”

“Now hold on just a minute!” one of the guards says. “We don’t have time to let this . . .”

Something comes over Lady Michelle and her visage seems to change. That cold commander you met at Vogler’s gates seems to return and she barks in a tone that brooks absolutely no disobedience, “Stand at attention and be silent, you honorless shitbags! You gormless fools dare speak in our presence without being spoken to first!?”

As if possessed by the hand of Takhisis, the two guards seem to automatically stand at attention before they even realize what they’ve done.

“Hold on—” the other guard manages to say before a look from Lady Michelle that probably could cut him in half where he stands shuts him up.

“Now, as I was saying, I can give you a crash course on how the various ranks speak, but even I can’t really tell you much beyond a captain—they’re brass and we don’t interact with them all that much. I must say, though, securing a captain’s insignia and uniform armor—that’s impressive. It’ll be useful, certainly.” She pauses a moment, chewing on her lip before finally adding, “But to be honest, I, personally, would not commit perfidy, but given the nature of the enemy, I’m not entirely sure that they don’t deserve whatever tactic you need to use. The Dragon Queen demands submission or she delivers death . . . I’ll teach you what I can in the time we have.”

"Ahar! Lioness!" Modri matches Michele's enthusiasm and doesn't mind a bit being glomped. As Coltan speaks Modri nods in agreement. "As Coltan says, got some extra armor and uniforms to go around, likely a few of us could use some lessons just in case. But honestly, was a lot less of a fight than we thought. With the help of those three, was one of the easier fights of this conflict. I'm sure that Dragonnel would've been mighty fierce against one or two of us, but not over half-a-dozen capable warriors focusing it down."

“Yes, well,” Lady Michelle admits, “The dragonarmies rely far more on quantity than on quality.”

He points to their likely newest members. "Fairla Sunnybank, Arlo Thistleknot, Vigdan Luchen, this is the Lady Michelle Folketh. I'll let you all say what you feel is worth saying. As to Michelle, we uh... ah heck, I'll just say it. She spent some time with the Red Dragon Army. It's all right now. Now she runs the land we're keeping the refugees at. Ah, which reminds me, don't let me leave without er... providing a donation to the people." In truth, Modri had planned not to give the money he planned to be donated to the refugees to Michelle, not wanting to make a big deal or fuss. However, chances are they wouldn't have time to return to her barony, and what mattered was giving the gold to the people.

At Modri’s offer of a donation, she smiles again, “I’ll make sure that the people of Vogler receive whatever it is you wish to give. Rest assured that they shall be given every last copper piece.”

In the hallway, he bows awkwardly, "My Lady" Listening as Modri recounts her past misdeeds and current duties, he interjects with hesitation, casting a glance at the others. "Well, uh.., I know my past is a little, uh..less than perfect, my lady. But it's what you're doing now that matters. I knew a lot of them folks from Vogler well and it's good that you're taking care of them. If there's anything I can do to help. Money or supplies or whatever, I'd be happy to help." He looks slightly embarrassed at the last.

“Please do not bow to me, Mr. Luchen,” Lady Michelle says with equal, if not more awkwardness. “I do not deserve it. And if anyone here has a past they’re not proud of, it is I. I wish I could take pride in the honor with which I fought in the past, but my fight was poisoned wine—not matter how sweet or what the vintage, it is poisoned nonetheless. For what value can be found in a single ounce of my honor on the battlefield when those battles have done nothing but help Takhisis take over half of Ansalon? Either way, it’s an honor to meet you.”

Back in Kalaman, Arlo feels a little overawed by the palace, which he'd never been allowed in before. His eyes go wide as Lady Michelle introduces himself and then wider still when Modri mentions that she "spent time" with the Red Dragonarmy. "I'm Arlo Thistlenott," he says when she turns her attention to him. "I'm from Kendermore, and I'm looking for my Uncle Trapspringer. Did you know that he once ended up in an ogre's stewpot? He convinced the ogre that Kender taste better when they're in a salad, rather than a stew, and it turned out the ogre didn't like salad, so he let Uncle Trapspringer go. But I'm not sure where he's gone since then. Do you?"

“Ah, Kendermore?” Lady Michelle says, “Well, at the very least, there’s one place whose blood isn’t on my hands. The white and black dragonarmies are the ones that attacked Kendermore. The closest to Goodlund I ever got was some leave I took and ended up in some coastal tribal village in Khur called Ak-Chat. I’m sorry I know nothing of your uncle. It’s lovely to meet you, though, Mr. Thistlenott, and I wish you luck in reuniting with your kin.”

Fairla bows to the noblewoman when introduced. "Lady Michelle, it is an honor to meet you. To host refugees during these times... If there be anything I can do as well to support your work, please just say the word."

“As I told Mr. Vigdan, please don’t bow to me,” Lady Michelle says, reaching out to pull Fairla up, but hesitating. “The honor is all mine. And hosting the refugees of Vogler is only one item on a very long and seemingly never-ending list of things I shall gladly do in penance. The fact that I can host them is a happy coincidence.”

At Lady Michelle's arrival, he greets the former enemy knight warmly with a, "Good to see you again, Lady Michelle!" and his grimace finally shifts into a wide smile as he observes the interactions between her and Modri. He had noticed the dwarf seemed rather fond of her from the get-go... but this was clear confirmation of the fact! He backs up Coltan's idea, stating, "Right, we've gathered enough armor to disguise all of us, actually. Anything you can share that would let us blend in better would be really appreciated, Lady Michelle. Although I don't know how much I can do about my particular shade of skin color or webbed fingers..."

“It’s wonderful to see you, too, Mr. Merituuli!” Lady Michelle smiles. “As for the issue of your skin, you’ll find that Takhisis, evil as she is, is oddly egalitarian with regards to who she lets serve her. As long as one obeys, one is welcome in the dragonarmies. Wherever we went, we absorbed many varied peoples into the dragonarmies and moved on to conquer more. You won’t likely soon meet a sea elf in that accursed uniform, but if you do, be not surprised.”

Statblocks

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 18 (+4) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)

Darkvision 60' | Dwarven Resilience | Stonecunning | Unarmored Defense | Danger Sense | Reckless Attack | Extra Attack | Fast Movement

+1 Red Dragonnel Shield

Modri can't help but smirk as Michelle puts the guards in their place. He'd be worried if there wasn't some grit, some fire, some danger to her. After all, that's why...

"Right then." Modri already has a sack ready. It's not small amount. "I'm a simple man, of simple means, and I've no idea how to spend all this we've been getting from these fights. I still more than I've ever had in my pockets, so no worrying I'm starving myself."

In all the bag has 2,000 gold worth of coins and gems.

He steps over to the guards. "Now, I get you have your jobs, but there's a time for following the rules by the book, and there's a time to do what's right. Right now the Lady Michelle's helping us out with the war effort. Your superiors will understand, or they're idiots."

Modri never thought he'd see the day where he placed the 'nice one'. It's less that he's trying to protect Michelle, and more he's trying to quiet down the nuisance.

OOC

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Level 5 Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC 20 | HP 51/51 (5d8+15+5) | HD 5/5 | Speed 30 ft.
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 17, Insight 14, Investigation 13
Str 14 (+2) | Dex 8 (–1) | Con 16 (+3) | Int 10 (+0) | Wis 18 (+4) | Cha 10 (+0)
Magic +7 DC 15 | Channel 1/1 | Cantrips | 1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | 3rd 2/2

Languages Speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

Coltan's eyes furrow at Lady Michelle's outburst to her guards. It's the noble behavior of disrespect that cuts right through him. He collects his thoughts and settles his emotions while the conversation continues.

When there is a suitable pause, Coltan gets all serious with her, "Lady Michelle, while I need your advice on how to pretend to be a dragonarmy lieutenant, I cannot accept your treatment of your guards. They deserve your respect, because they are just doing their duty. Please apologize to them and treat them with respect going forward."

"If you still want to help us, we can do it within the constraints of your situation, as defined by your guards." He stares for her reply.

OOC

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Action:

Reaction:

Concentration:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 3 magic, fire damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 3 magic, fire damage.

Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 2 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 2 bludgeoning damage.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Spell-casting: +7 or DC 15 | 1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | 3rd 2/2

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.
  4. Mending (V,S,M). This spell repairs a single break or tear in an object you touch, such as broken chain link, two halves of a broken key, a torn cloak, or a leaking wineskin. As long as the break or tear is no larger than 1 foot in any dimension, you mend it, leaving no trace of the former damage. This spell can physically repair a magic item or construct, but the spell can't restore magic to such an object.

1st level spells prepared

• Forge Domain: Identify (V,S,M) Ritual. You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.
  • Forge Domain: Searing Smite (V). The next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during the spell's duration, your weapon flares with white-hot intensity, and the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target and causes the target to ignite in flames. At the start of each of its turns until the spell ends, the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the spell ends. If the target or a creature within 5 feet of it uses an action to put out the flames, or if some other effect douses the flames (such as the target being submerged in water), the spell ends.
  1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Concentration, Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

2nd-Level Spells Prepared

• Forge Domain: Heat Metal (V,S,M) Concentration. Choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, that you can see within range. You cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage when you cast the spell. Until the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again. If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes the damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn't drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the start of your next turn.
  • Forge Domain: Magic Weapon (V,S) Concentration. You touch a nonmagical weapon. Until the spell ends, that weapon becomes a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls.
  • 6. Spiritual Weapon (V,S) Bonus. When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon. On a hit, the target takes force damage equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.
  • 7. Lesser Restoration (V,S). You touch a creature and can end either one disease or one condition afflicting it. The condition can be blinded, deafened, paralyzed, or poisoned.
  • 8. Silence (V,S) Concentration, Ritual. For the duration, no sound can be created within or pass through a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on a point you choose within range. Any creature or object entirely inside the sphere is immune to thunder damage, and creatures are deafened while entirely inside it. Casting a spell that includes a verbal component is impossible there.

3rd-Level Spells Prepared

• Forge Domain: Elemental Weapon (V,S) Concentration. A nonmagical weapon you touch becomes a magic weapon. Choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. For the duration, the weapon has a +1 bonus to attack rolls and deals an extra 1d4 damage of the chosen type when it hits.
  • Forge Domain: Protection from Energy (V,S) Concentration. For the duration, the willing creature you touch has resistance to one damage type of your choice: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder.
  • 9. Spirit Guardians: (V,S,M) Concentration. You call forth angelic spirits to protect you. They flit around you to a distance of 15 feet for the duration. When you cast this spell, you can designate any number of creatures you can see to be unaffected by it. An affected creature's speed is halved in the area, and when the creature enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, it must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 3d8 radiant damage. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage.

Channel Divinity: 1/1 short rest

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. Starting at 5th level, when an undead of CR 1/2 or lower fails its saving throw against your Turn Undead feature, the creature is instantly destroyed.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Artisan's Blessing. You conduct an hour-long ritual that crafts a nonmagical item that must include some metal: a simple or martial weapon, a suit of armor, ten pieces of ammunition, a set of tools, or another metal object (see chapter 5, "Equipment," in the Player's Handbook for examples of these items). The creation is completed at the end of the hour, coalescing in an unoccupied space of your choice on a surface within 5 feet of you.  The thing you create can be something that is worth no more than 100 gp. As part of this ritual, you must lay out metal, which can include coins, with a value equal to the creation. The metal irretrievably coalesces and transforms into the creation at the ritual's end, magically forming even nonmetal parts of the creation. The ritual can create a duplicate of a nonmagical item that contains metal, such as a key, if you possess the original during the ritual.

War Caster

• You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
  • You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
  • When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Ravenwing, of clan Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 40/40 (hd 5d8) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 15 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 19 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

Hunni continues playing with her toys as Lady Michelle speaks, for the world appearing not to hear a word the woman says. At Coltan's words, however, she snorts quietly, and glances over at Meri, as though to catch his eye. She then goes back to playing with her toys. "Hi, Kettle, my name is Pot!" she says, under her breath, as she play-talks with a turquoise gorilla and giraffe. She knocks the giraffe over. The gorilla then jumps up and down on the giraffe. Seemingly losing interest in that game, she takes a bit of her string and starts tying knots on a little lizard figurine.

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 7 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10 + cha) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 15, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Improved Pact Weapon varies, usually whip (+1 to hit, damage, spell focus)

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 5) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

Staff of the Python (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d6 +4) bludgeoning damage.
Versatile: (1d8 +4) bludgeoning damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Normally Staff of the Python, but also always Pact Weapon.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  2 / 2, cast at 3rd level, refreshed at short rest

Free Spells from Feats: 1/long rest - Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Suggestion

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 3rd level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 15.  Spell Attack Modifier +7.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite ©, Hex © (feat), Dissonant Whispers (feat), Unseen Servant, Blur ©, Misty Step, Suggestion © (feat), Hunger of Hadar ©
  • Invocations:  Improved Pact Weapon, Agonizing Blast, Thirsting Blade

Life Channel. You can channel your life force into the power of your magic. When a creature you can see within 60 feet of you fails a saving throw against a spell that deals damage that you cast, you can expend a number of Hit Dice equal to the level of the spell. Roll the expended Hit Dice and add them together. The damage that the creature takes increases by an amount equal to that total.

Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location. While wearing this amulet, you are hidden from divination magic. You can't be targeted by such magic or perceived through magical scrying sensors.

+1 Red Dragonnel Shield

Modri also turns, hearing Coltan admonish Michelle just after Modri had basically told the guards to knock it off. He looks at Coltan for a few long seconds before offering his own snort, but otherwise says nothing more.

He'd already made a promise to himself that short of protecting her life and safety, he wasn't going to fight Michelle's fights for her. She was a victim of circumstance, but that didn't change what she'd done and who she'd done it for. She could decide to accept or resist Coltan's ask of her. She didn't need him acting like some chivalrous fop.

No, he'd stay near the guards instead.

OOC

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 21 (Plate, Shield +1) | HP: 38/38 (0 THP) | HD: 5/5 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
Str: 18 (+4) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 16 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing. Brooch of ShieldingWhile wearing this brooch, you have resistance to force damage, and you have immunity to damage from the magic missile spell.. Force all attacks targeted at mount to target Artanis instead. Mount has Evasion

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

Vigdan's suggestion of a trap is a sound one, as is his judgment of Lord Barakis, though if the man was a Vogler native this was perhaps not his first interaction with the family. For a moment he's torn, having previously been all too ready to answer Darrett's call for aid, and a frown furrows his otherwise youthful brow. He remembers how the Army had used distraction to soften and sweep through Vogler. If they leave as well now are they opening Kalaman to the same fate? The aide reassures him that the city still have enough defences though, and he figures such a military outpost would be better equipped than Vogler as well. He nods in agreement of the plan to travel by wagon, and through strategy had never been his particular strongpoint, a river crossing is a classic choke point. "Perhaps Lord Barakis' assault can yet be rescued and made successful. If we're a 'special taskforce', then I suppose any orders issued to that extent from someone who outranks Captain Barakis would supersede his own, especially if there was certain leeway in them," he doesn't quite suggest, stretching the limits of his Oath. It was an Oath to the Solamnic Order though, he thinks doubtfully.

Artanis stands awkwardly to the side as tension grows between the guards, Michelle and Coltan, nervously gripping the worn hilt of Ser Brightblade's old longsword as if for inspiration. He's not quite sure where he stands on the matter - sure the guards are only doing their job, but doing it a little more overzealously than needed he'd say. Equally it's clear Ser Michelle is chafing at the restrictions. He's just grateful it's no longer his problem to deal with. "I'll go, uh, secure some draft horses then," he volunteers to escape the situation. "I'm sure Tiergan can manage it, but his pride might not. I can pick up your horse as well if you like Lady Fairla if you share where it was stabled? Ser Michelle was kind enough to lend stabling at the Folketh estate for the rest of us," he offers.

"I'd rather not be dressing up as the enemy even if just in pretence, so I'll skip those lessons. I'm sure there's workarounds if need be like Coltan - I mean the Apprentice - suggested." Before he departs in a wake of sliding plate mail, he questions "Perhaps we should wait to be a little closer before we change though, given we're coming up behind our own troops. If there's anyone likely to charge first and ask questions later it's Lord Barakis. I'm not sure he's much of one for subtlety in a plan."

OOC

Action: Artanis is off to secure the draft horses - if he can - and a wagon. He'll only be buying from reputable dealers unless he sees some really abused animal to rescue, in which case he'll likely cause a scene.

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Mount Action: 

Mount Movement: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (1d8 + 6) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 9 (1d10 + 4) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [0]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage.

RDA Javelin (range, thrown) [12]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage, 1d4 fire damage.

Lance (special). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (1d12 + 6) piercing damage, 1d4 Fire damage.

Battlefield Presence.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark

Urgent Orders  

Helpful Word

Commanding Rally 3/3 (Long Rest)

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 3/3 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 5/5 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (6 THP).

token_1.png.451fa62d12c0f2185636025bbfd5d519.pngArlo Thistleknott

Kender Entertainer Arcane Trickster Rogue

AC: 16 (Studded Leather) | HP: 48/48 | Speed: 40 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 18, Insight 15, Investigation 16
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 18 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Kenderspeak, and Thieves' Cant

Arlo quickly loses interest as the conversation with Lady Michelle grows serious. He sits on the ground by Hunni, watching as she plays with her toys. When she begins to comment on the situation, he loudly whispers to her, "Do you know of kettles that can talk? Are they part of the Test of High Sorcery? Will you show them to me?"

Arlo then begins to sort through the contents of his pouches. He produces an impressive collection of buttons, seashells, small pieces of twine, and lots and lots of lint. It also appears that there are several pieces of silverware bearing the seal of Castle Kalaman. Arlo carefully sets those aside. He finally finds what he is looking for, a very dusty carved wooden figurine of a bear. It is misshapen and inexpertly carved. He hands it out to Hunni. "Would you like this? I carved it myself. I think he could use a friend, and your animals look friendly. Well, except for the gorilla. He really should be nicer to the giraffe if they're friends."

OOC

Action: 
Move: 
Bonus Action:

Taunt: 3/3
Spell Slots: 3/3 1st Level
Pipes of the Sewers: 3/3 charges