A Proper Introduction

Feirgon

Hello Myth Weavers!

I'm a bit of an old hat here on MW, though that was mostly on OGMW and even then it was mostly for the character sheets. But seeing as I plan on GMing my first game here on MW, I figured it was time to have a proper introduction. And this feels like the right place to do so.

Let's start at the beginning. I started playing TTRPGs at the turn of the millennium in my first year of college. It was a heavily modified AD&D 2nd ed campaign with some sprinkling of 1st ed. It was crazy, irreverent, and too much fun to to leave it at one game. I soon found a second game that was 3.0 set in Ancient Egypt. These two campaigns lasted through my college years until graduation.

Post graduation, I found myself far from friends so the opportunity to play TTRPGs was severely hampered; enter OpenRPG. This was before VoIP was a thing, so chat windows galore! We played an evil 3.5 campaign in which everyone in the party had their own agenda and often lied to the party about...everything. I was a powerful wizard turned amnesiac vampire sorcerer...he did not survive the campaign. There was so much subterfuge, in party fighting, and player character death. It is probably the most glorious game I have ever been apart of. And probably ever will be.

But, I had now had a taste of text based TTRPG playing! Granted, we continued to play online and eventually had even more hijinks with VoIP (especially when it wasn't working properly), but I expanded my horizons toward PbP. My first home for such was GitP. I spent over a decade there playing and eventually GMing. Playing everything from D&D to freeform, I got to try new systems I otherwise wouldn't have had the opportunity to play and soon discovered that I greatly enjoyed rules-lite systems when playing PbP. I played my first God Game and to this day, I am still inspired by that very pantheon and that world that a bunch of strangers made together. When PbtA came out, I fell in love with its narrative first approach. I introduced myself to any system that followed that narrative approach including FitD, PQD, Cypher, and Cortex (not really rules-lite, but I want to throw OSR in here too).

For my money, right now, Cortex is the best implementation of this. I enjoy the fact that it is easy to teach players and places all the complexity on the GM and the preparation of the game. While I will play game regardless of system if I am interested, but if it is a game I am GMing, it will be Cortex for the foreseeable future (at least on PbP).

In any case, thanks for reading! And if you have any questions (or just want me to ramble about some of the campaigns I've been apart of or GMed), don't hesitate to ask!

(No, seriously. If this topic just turned into a bunch of us talking about our favorite campaigns, I wouldn't mind.)

Edited by Feirgon (see edit history)

Welcome! There is always room for another GM around here. If you want to talk about favorite campaigns, you should start a topic in the Gaming Discussion forum, I'm sure a lot of people will jump in!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2024 at 11:56 AM, Feirgon said:

For my money, right now, Cortex is the best implementation of this. I enjoy the fact that it is easy to teach players and places all the complexity on the GM and the preparation of the game. While I will play game regardless of system if I am interested, but if it is a game I am GMing, it will be Cortex for the foreseeable future (at least on PbP).

I'm definitely a +1 on Cortex. A few months back, I sniffed around about running a "Misty Cove" game (one of the Cortex Prime mini-settings), but I didn't get any real interest. But there's been some Marvel Heroic activity around.