Kai, (Good) Fish out of water

Servalfang

fishmall.png.8488185687c3db93bb9639f9ec323628.pngName:Kaitiaki'tai

Race:Locathah

Class:Oathkeeper Inquisitor

Background:

Born and raised in the open ocean, Kai spent his childhood and early adulthood living in a world with no knowledge of dry land. His village elders would oft spin tales of demons, devils, and other foul things that supposedly lived on dry land in some unknown area of the world, which inspired both fear and a desire to stay in the ocean for the young Locathah.
As the world of land and air changed and moved on, his village found itself in the midst of a sea trade route between two nations, and so he would occasionally see glimpses of large water-skimming creatures that resembled nothing he could recognize. Eventually, the strangers took notice of them in return, and so some ships would stop buy to resupply and trade for the bounties of the sea. Kai would often chat with the crew of these ships, curious of the realm of earth, air, and fire these strangers lived in, and eventually grew a fondness for these people. When the time inevitably came where he would join one of these crews in their trade voyages, he arrived in a bustling port and his gaze immediately turned to that of the shiny metal armour of a small army of warriors who were about to depart to drive off some fiends that had been summoned to the area. They invited him to join along, and in his curiosity, he did.
His companions realized quickly that he had little to any preparations, but they financed a meager kit for his use. Many of his band died on the way, but Kai's wits and scaled skin kept him largely intact, though the person whom he quickly bonded with the most, a paladin of Ragathiel, did not make it. In their final conversation, his fallen friend gave Kai her blessing to carry on her god's work himself,using her blade and shield. Driven by vengeance, he took these tools and had hewn his fair share of foul creatures.

When the work was done, Kai was suggested to return to the family of the fallen warrior and mourn with them, and so he got onboard a vessel sailing to her homeland, and unfortunately, as if fate, this too went sour, and the ship was thrown off-course and wrecked in yet another unfamiliar land.

Let me know if I accidentally didn't share it properly or missed some rule or something.

Edited by Servalfang (see edit history)

Oh, right. I asked this in PMs but it's probably better to ask here:
The inquisitor's Relentless Footing ability does not have a listed duration and I plan on taking it (I was going to get a mount but i decided that was far too much additional headache as I am not super familiar with pathfinder yet)

Posted (edited)

I forgot to actually take a teamwork feat. Whoops. Phalanx fighter is thematic let's go!
Also, I was hoping, due to the proficiency in specifically bastard swords, that I could use them one-handed?

Edited by Servalfang (see edit history)

The shipwrecking took place at the back end of 'flee or die' on the coast. It was a case of run to the ships or die on the shore. Now why an amphibian would take to a ship is anyone's guess. Maybe you can come up with something rational.

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)

I suppose he could have crossed over the threshold in the wildest, most unimaginable waters on the planet. See, the storm is a magical phenomenon, not just an atmospheric thing. There's a 1 in a 1000 chance of getting in and a 1 in a 1000 chance of getting out. Having your character do the Bruce Wayne leap out of Bane's prison as a matter of course just doesn't sit that well with me, and was the reason why I was a little cool on having a sea creature as a PC. Just know.. it doesn't matter how well you swim, there's no escape from the island that way.

Better reasons..

*Someone fled to a ship that you couldn't leave behind.

*You were crew on one of the ships and felt it was your duty to keep it safe.

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)

Ah. I think I am missing some piece of important information. I was under the impression that the current players were on a ship fleeing a place and ended up getting swept in?

The current party are shipwreck survivors swept ashore with nothing but personal equipment. They've also got NPC civilians to look after... and a looming Sahaugin attack on the horizon.

It's just that i'm struggling to work without additional information. I saw that caffeine was also asking for some. I'll check your reply to his post and hammer something more thorough out when I have more information to work with.

As I understand it:

make up whatever reason you want to be on the ship (or maybe tied surreptitiously to the ship below water level, in your case?).
--> shipwreck
--> the survivors explore the unknown shore, find buildings and secure them (chasing ghouls away)
Now they're in the process of meeting their neighbours (other "nations") and building up the zone they control.

They've also just discovered they're inside the Eye of Abendego (permanent magical cyclone).

Starhawk will correct me as needed.