Year 2950: From the ashes

Vladim

"Ever since you were young, the uproarious camp at the crossroads was your favorite place to be. It was a day’s walk from any of the surrounding villages and the perfect location to build your inn. Soon, others started to establish themselves at the crossroads. Blacksmiths forged tools and repaired arms and armour, merchants came and went with trade goods and your services were in high demand. The people of the growing hamlet looked to their founder for leadership. Now, you reign over this small piece of Wilderland, content in knowing that a weary traveler will always have a place to stay at the crossroads inn."

spacer.png

(Art by Jon Hodgson for the One Ring 1st edition)

Time: Late summer 2950

spacer.pngThe company had not spent more than a week in Rhosgobel when new tidings found them. They came in the form of a summons from old friends, carried through the land by one of Beorn's messengers. The bringer of these tidings was one they called Segrid Hafbeornsdottir: a young Beorning who had, in recent years, risen to become the right-hand woman of Grimbold, one of the bear-lord's more prominent Thanes.

Segrid had sought them out in Black Tarn Hall, and after a few futile days there, she had finally managed to track them down in Rhosgobel. She brought news addressed to them specifically. To Idunn, she carried word of Thane Hrothgar, Merovech's successor; her recently-slain cousin. To Tarric, she spoke of his friends and relatives, folk that had chosen to remain with Beorn but were nonetheless related to him by blood and kinship. And to Bróin she brought news of the dwarves who had taken the task of restoring the forest road that passed through the Old Ford, and of their progress.

Yet above all she spoke of a plan to raise a new settlement by the Forest Gate, at the same place where the Easterly Inn had stood until this past winter. The Easterly Inn had fared badly, having fallen prey to orcs and reduced to ashes. Beorn could not leave such a challenge unanswered. The orcs had to be checked. A new Hall ought to be built, stronger and bigger.

Already, some of Tarric's old kin were involved in its construction. Its location would be strategic, a fact not missed by those with a keen mind for trade and profit. Perhaps it would be of benefit to Bróin, for it would be many years yet until the Old Forest Road was restored.

Other considerations also entered the Thanes' calculations. Trouble was brewing in the North. Viglund was already quarreling with the Beornings over the disputed lands by the Forest Gate. He was putting pressure on the Free Cottars, Vale-folk who had so far managed to maintain their independence. It would not be for much longer, Segrid feared. This new and as yet nameless settlement would serve as a sanctuary for those fleeing Viglund and the troubles, even if Beorn remained reluctant to oppose him more openly.

And so on a late summer day they found themselves on the road again. They departed with Radagast's blessing: for the wizard had tasked them with reuniting with the others at the Forest Gate when they returned from their mission in the Fields of the Gladden. Their path led to Lake-Town: by Dragontide, they should meet a member of his order there to discuss their findings. A wizard named Gandalf-one whose name was well-known in these lands, and familiar to those who had heard Bilbo's tale.

A few days later, they reached Beorn's Hall, accompanied by what other folk-Woodmen and Beornings for the most part-would undertake the raising of the new Hall by the Forest Gate.

OOC

Bit if a lore dump (sorry!), but I wanted to summarise the rationale for raising this new settlement. Given its location, it is expected to play an important role in the Viglunding-Beorning conflict, one of the major troubles in the region.

I tried to give everyone some hooks. Feel free to develop them or (if you prefer) invent your own.

At this point, feel free to introduce some NPCs that are joining this endeavour. Most will probably be Woodmen and Beornings, perhaps old friends or acquaintances of the PCs. A few dwarves can also join in, but probably no elves or hobbits. Portraits and character art are welcome!

If you have plans to play the winter survival minigame "Do not let us die in the dark night of this cold winter" later on (it will take place further to the north, at another place) some of these NPCs can be used for that purpose too.

I'll be playing a bit fast and loose with time for this "adventure", mainly for the sake of flexibility, but expect that we'll be spending most of the (in-game) remaining summer, and much of autumn, building this settlement.

The PCs from The One Ring group are meant to journey through the Forest Gate and the elf-path to join the celebration of Dragontide in Lake-Town in November. This is in order to continue with the remaining two adventures from "Tales from Wilderland". If Tarric and Bróin would want to join them in this endeavour, they will be able to (this provides an in for joining The One Ring group, if you want to, though it will likely require system conversions of your PCs).

spacer.png

Bróin was happy to hear of Bofri's continuing progress on the Old Forest Road, ever hopeful as he was for the day that trade could finally commence along that route. Still, such a day was many years down the line; for the time being at least, Bróin would still have to work for his coin...

As Segrid details the situation in the north of Wilderland, Bróin can all too clearly see the opportunity that lay before him. Having the ground-floor on a new hold such as this could prove a lucrative business venture to tied him over for the next little while... but more than that, a part of of him felt that this is something that Dody, Agatha and their kin would want. Breaking new ground on the ruins of the Easterly Inn was the very least he could do to honour the memory of his old friends.

It was with such thoughts that Bróin joined with his companions and began the journey northward, Vara gliding through the air ahead of the party and intermittently gliding low to quip and jape with the others.

Reaching Beorn's Hall, Bróin took this opportunity to begin making preparations for the work ahead...

OOC

Current Momentum: +2

Vara's Health: 2/2

Gonna try to Secure an Advantage with Heart, reflecting Bróin's wheeling and dealing among the Beornings and any merchants present at Beorn's Hall.

You know what? I'll spend 2 Wealth to bring that up to 5, making it a Strong Hit. I'll then Prepare to Act and take +2 Momentum.

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)
Name
Challenge Dice
1; 4
1d10;1d10 [1]; [1,4]
Secure Advantage + Heart
1d6+2 1

spacer.png

Idunn of Firienseld [Mom: 2 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 3 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 13]

Sixty leagues. It was a long journey through tracks and ancient paths along the eaves of the great forest, and then onwards into the green vales and wide plains of the Anduin. A journey that would have benefited greatly from a mount, for riding would have cut the time in half. But she was not alone, and there were not enough steeds to go around: and so, on foot it was.

Many came with her. Beran and Evoric and Cilderic remained by her side, but there were others too: Asfrid, the sell-sword from Lake-Town, who had come from the north years ago to aid Bofri, and had remained in Rhosgobel ever since. Fareth, ever the wizard's trusty scout, who thought to come with her to speak directly to the Beornings. The hunters from Rhosgobel, whom Idunn and Tarric had aided in spring, and who owed their lives to the companions. A strange and quiet Woodman called Wulfnoth who spoke of relatives amongst Beorn's folk. And others yet who would join them in the land of the Beornings.

Nine days later, she found herself outside the gates of Beorn's Hall, led by Segrid. She wondered if the bear-lord himself would get involved, or if this whole business had been the idea of a Thane. Either way, she entered apprehensively, for she had clashed with Beorn before...

OOC

I've started adding a few NPCs since I don't think we would be undertaking this unaided, but please feel free to include (or make up) your own. I didn't mention Olwinne since I though it best to leave that to BlueTrillium.

I'll probably add a few more from the Beorning side later (in a future post), and update the NPC codex in the Setting sub-forum.

I'll wait for Tarric's POV and then move us towards a scene where someone can Swear an Iron vow for this "quest". Probably dangerous, to keep it short...

unknown.png

Ed: 1 | He: 3 | Ir: 2 | Sh: 2 | Wi: 1

Mom: 3 (10/2) | Health: 4 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5
Tarric

One week was surely not enough to fully recover from the events of Dol Guldur, but, as usual, the world could not pause in its turning to accommodate the preferences of a single person.

So here they were traveling once again. But it was not so bad. This time, their goal was building and creation, not battle. Protection, not infiltration. And once again, Olwinne was with him, his companions were at his side, and soon yet more friends and relatives might join their hands to the task ahead.

Tarric watched calmly as the gates of Beorn's Hall opened before them. His wife at his side nudged him companionably with her shoulder. She smiled and he smiled back. This task would certainly not be easy, but he found himself looking forward to it.

OOC/Mechanics

I'm thinking here or at their destination, if we need more people we could add a relative of Tarric's (tentatively thinking a brother or half-brother). And/or some sort of past rival/frenemy if we wanted another (perhaps a past suitor for Olwinne or some other sort of ex-competitor idk) xD -spitballing-

Assets

Tarric and Olwinne both have +1 talisman vs orcs.

Berserker - (Combat Talent)
When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
------ Push yourself: Endure Harm (1 harm)
------ Lose yourself: Endure Stress (1 stress)
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.
When you perform this ritual, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.
 When you perform this ritual, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.

Progress

▥= 1 tick, ▦= 2 ticks, ▩= 3 ticks, = full

Vow: name (rank)
Failure:

Bonds:

Bond 1: Olwinne his wife
Bond 2: Rhosgobel villagers/friends
Bond 3: Idunn
Bond 4: Woodmen-town
Bond 5: Bróin/Vara
Bond 6: Radagast

Experience: ◍ = have, = used

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F), Investigate Dol Guldur (E)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T), Secure Hospitality (F)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T), Dagmar (D)
Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D), To Tyrant Hill (T)
Completed Delves: Haunted Tanglewood (T), Fortified Shadowfen (D)

spacer.pngAs the company crossed through the gates, Segrid asked Tarric and Bróin and Idunn to step forth. "Time to speak to master Beorn." she explained. "The Thane will come presently."

And so it was. Their arrival had not gone unnoticed, and before long Beornings came to greet them and lead them on, towards Beorn's great hall. On the way, they encountered more of his hardy folk, but also hounds and horses, sheep and cows, and bee-hives buzzing with activity. For Beorn was as fond of these creatures as he was of his own followers.

spacer.pngAt the entrance to the long-house, they found Grimbold, Beorn's Thane. He had been waiting for Segrid, and the two spoke briefly before he addressed them. He told the tale of the Easterly Inn and its sad demise. It was one well-known to the three companions, but perhaps less so to their followers. The Thane concluded with a few words: "We have gathered men and women to aid you in your endeavour. Warriors, too: in case the orcs seek to attack again from the forest. I see that you brought your own. So far, so good. But come! My lord awaits."

spacer.pngThose who had come here before remembered the hall: a high-roofed building of strong timber, taller than any of the Woodmen houses. Beorn was at the table, holding council with some of his folk. Even sat in his chair, his huge frame exceeded that of even the tallest of the travelers, but he was in a good mood today, and he expected their coming.

After a brief introduction by Segrid, and the customary exchange of tidings, matters soon turned to the necessary plans for building. It was already late in the summer, and so they did not have many months to raise the settlement before the coming of winter.

Through Segrid, the Beornings had promised to provide workers and warriors and materials. This was again reaffirmed by the chieftain, who inspected them carefully. Luckily, Woodmen were seen as friends and kin, and thus the bear-lord's usual mistrust of strangers was somewhat tempered. The mead, consumed in copious amounts, also seemed to help.

OOC

I left things a little vague and purposely sketched out only poorly, as I don't think it's necessary to RP this scene in great detail. Here's a bunch of things we can do here:

• We can exchange tidings and gifts; these can be accompanied by a Secure an Advantage move.
  • At some point, one of us should attempt to Swear an Iron Vow to help build a settlement near the ruins of the Easterly Inn (Dangerous). This can be flavoured any way we want; it can be as casual or as formal as we want it.
  • Feel free to keep introducing NPCs. Some of the Beornings sat with Beorn could also be allies that will help us. The ideas you mentioned sound good @BlueTrillium! I'll see if I can introduce some more NPCs too.

We can probably move on after a post or two!

spacer.png

Bróin bows respectfully before Beorn. "Hail to thee Beorn Chieftain! I am Bróin, son of Bori and companion of Bofri. I am honoured to render my aid unto you and yours in this founding, and would proffer tidings and gifts in thanks." With that Bróin informs Beorn of a great deal that has transpired over the spring and summer (save those things that Radagast had sworn the Company to secrecy on), while also making offerings of the craft of the Woodmen he had received of late... as well as the Elven blade he had found in Dol Guldur.

"A rare find that fate placed in my lap Chieftain, and I would be honoured if you would accept it as a gift."

The dwarf toys with his beard impassively. "Rest assured, oh Chief of Chiefs, that before the first leaf falls a new holdfast shall stand where the Easterly Inn once did. This I swear on my honour as a Dwarf, and a trader."

OOC

Current Momentum: +4

Vara's Health: 2/2

Wealth: 3/5

I'll try another Secure Advantage here with Heart. Gonna spend 1 Wealth for this one to.

That'll make it a Weak Hit, giving me +1 Momentum.

I'm also happy to Swear the Iron Vow, especially to tick off Fortune Hunter.

And that's a Strong Hit! Another +2 Momentum.

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)
Name
Challenge Dice
10; 7
1d10;1d10 [10]; [10,7]
Secure Advantage + Heart
1d6+3 4
Challenge Dice
2; 5
1d10;1d10 [2]; [2,5]
Swear the Iron Vow
1d6+3 6

spacer.png

Idunn of Firienseld [Mom: 2 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 3 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 13]

Idunn looked to Bróin. It was no small boast that, to promise to raise a village before the coming of autumn. But she had seen what the dwarven hands could accomplish, and how hard they could labor. Perhaps it would be so. In any case, Beorn, though silent, seemed to take the oath well.

She needed not repeat Bróin's words, and yet she stepped forth. There was another angle to this, another reason why this held such importance. And so, she added her own voice.

"Your Thane was my kin-this you remember. He must have stood here once, speaking oaths of his own. Merovech the Mighty has passed now, but his task remains unfinished. Perhaps I can see to it that more can be done. For this new settlement will prove safe haven for those seeking to flee the oppression of the Viglundings, and it may strengthen our hand in our negotiations with their cruel chief."

OOC

Well done! So let's mark the oath:

Raise a settlement near the ruins of the Easterly Inn

Dangerous Vow

Progress: □□□□□□□□□□

A strong hit indicates that the next steps are clear, so let's transition smoothly into the next scene once this one is finished.

I won't make any rolls for Idunn; the Strong Hit covers me, and I don't want to risk her complicating things! So just adding some fluff and another POV.