Ancient tome about technology written in a dead language that he can not read

wrathgon

1 hour ago, evedgebah said:

Linguistics is not a Starfinder skill, what would be the equivalent? Culture?

Culture (Int; Trained Only)

Source Starfinder Core Rulebook pg. 139
You are a student of the vast number of known cultures in the galaxy, and you have a deep and rich understanding of the undercurrents of cultures and language in general. Each time you take a rank in Culture, you learn to speak and read a new language. See page 41 for a list of common languages.

Seems like it is. On another note I did not realize that last part. I got 7 ranks in culture so i need to think up 7 languages for Jake he would have known. He is kind of a cunning linguist it seems.

If you took the culture ranks here you could choose the local languages and their racial languages if you took it before you have the option of taking languages on the station. The captain offers that wants to learn his worlds Common language just in case you ever get there.

I was just wondering about alternative skills to Linguistics. Culture seemed like the main one, but perhaps Enoch could do some form of pattern recognition computer use.

I may allow a aid other computer use but it would take away from someone that put points in the skill if you could use computer use instead

Jake took all the culture ranks from before. He used speak language ranks to grab all of the local languages on the planet. Is there a thread that list all the station languages? He might even try and grab the captains language just so they can speak privately Lol.

He can pick up 7 languages from his culture ranks since I did not realize that culture gave that. Any suggestions on best languages to grab?

lets talk here

so languages on this planet the race languages trade speak Social Speak

on station there was thousands of races most were local to that location or galaxy. Only about 15 possibility could be encounter in other Galaxy as they had ships to cross the astral space between galaxies. There are the ones from the auction you could take.

So out of curiosity where does the ancient texts language fall? Was it originally derived from this planet or of alien origins before it was taken out of time? If the latter it could conceivably be a root language to some we would have access to and would have learned which would then aid us in translating it due to extrapolating possible root similarities.

Well outside of Trade speak and social speak whatever those are, Jake speaks every language on the planet. So I would think that would help him figure some of that out then, he also gets a +18 Modifier for culture checks.