Session 2.0: The Press Conference

The Setting 

Time and Date: 10:00, Thursday, 24th September 2023.

Apartment 212

The press conference is planned for 11am and you know you need to arrive at the prep room for 10am, allowing the team an hour to prepare you with make up and go over any last minute details. You know that make up and hair will be arranged at the prep room, though clothing you are to arrange yourselves. You have been directed to appear smart, though try to show your personality to make yourselves more amenable to the general public.

Apart from that strict deadline, the morning is yours, you get breakfast and perhaps perform a few other things before heading off to Media Room A, located within NERV London by the main entrance, and is just after the main check point. Meaning all those people coming to the press conference will have gone through checks and similar, and will be under a tight least when within NERV.

Media Room A

image.jpeg.dd46eb96f39dfea0eb6bd111c67a7e4f.jpeg

Oliver Evans

PR Team member

As you approach Media Room A you see a smartly dressed Oliver waiting outside the room, glancing down at his phone. Once you get perhaps ten meters away from him he glances up with a smile.

"Morning all, hope you slept well." He gestures you to follow him, and actually takes you to a room next to Media Room A. Opening up the door you see Paul standing in the room talking to a few of the other PR team, along with the videographer.

A row of chairs are placed in front of a few mirrors with a few hair and make up artists waiting for you to take your seats.

"Morning, good to see you all here," Paul gestures to the seats, clearly wanting each of you four to take one. "As you know, just basic make up to help with the videography, nothing intrusive." Each of the make up artists waits for you to take a seat before starting.

As you take your seats Paul wraps up his conversation with the videographer, "I will talk to you in a bit Ian," with that Ian nods, gives you all a smile and leaves. Leaving you in the relatively small room with about four PR team members, four make up artists and yourselves.

Paul takes a moment to smile at himself in the mirror before turning to you all, and looking at no one in particular.

"The media will be getting entry into the room at 10:55, I will go out first and clarify the rules and scopes for them all at around 11am. I will take a few off topic questions to get a feel for the crowd and then, at about 11:15, bring you all on stage one by one." He points at a floor plan that is on each mirror, showing a front stage with a long table and then the audience. The table has five chairs, one for each of you and then Paul. You can see you names, signaling which seat is yours.

"As I bring you on stage, I will give each of you a brief introduction, which we can scope out now, so if anything in particular you want me to say, or avoid, remind me now or grab me before 10:50." He slowly moves around the room, taking a moment to stretch his legs.

"Once you are all seated and comfortable, I will open the floor to questions and will pick on a few people. I have an idea on what most people will ask, but there will always be curve balls." He takes a moment to make sure you are all paying attention, "if there is ever a question you want shut down, for whatever reason, all you need to do is tap the pen against the table two times. I will look out for that, and when I see it I will close the question down. I will note, we want to avoid doing that too much, but its more important you guys are comfortable." He says the words with genuine meaning, it is clear he intends to have your backs.

"We will likely have questions for about twenty to thirty minutes, closing down at 11:45. You guys leave, I handle any closing questions." He claps his hands together lightly making it clear that is a wrap.

"Questions?"

PaulNosworth.jpg.10a50c3d5bd895f2f3172ae96e98fa85.jpg

Paul Nosworthy

Head of PR

OOC

This is a start of a new session. Some people have abilities and the like that trigger at the start of each session, roll/announce those now please.

Along with that, as it is a reset of the session you regain any used (not burnt) fate points.

Edited by darkhugh (see edit history)

Emiko
spacer.png

Wounds: 0/12
Fatigue: 0

Ego Barrier: 35/35
Insanity: 2

Emiko was dressed well, with a slightly military look while still having a fashion-forward flare in the same red and black and gold as her Evangelion. Her hair was up and out of her face, but with how stark white it was there was nothing you could really do to make it look normal.

She seemed relax and calm, and not at all concerned with what could be coming, but she has a habit of always seeming calm no matter what the situation is, eerily so. She was smiley and friendly and personable, but it had a slightly artificial air to it to people who actually knew her.

"Will we be taking turns on questions or will people be directing to specific people?"

spacer.pngThe day of the interview see Zelda quite nervous, a contrast with her usual cocky attitude, choosing the appropriate dress took ages and she was desperate enough to ask Silver's opinion.

Apparently neither the Final Fantasy nor the Gundam themed hoodies were valid choices.

Turns out Zelda organize her hoodies in alphabet order, yes, she has that many, no she's not normal but this is the least of her problems.

They did say to show her personality but a hoodie may be too casual so, in the end, Zelda pick one of her favorites, a gift from Jen, a daft punk themed sweatshirt.

Things get better when she meet the PR team, there she relax, feeling safer "morning!" with a sparkling voice

Zelda nod while listening to Paul explanation but halfway she get distracted by something, looking away, she is bought back to the PR leader when he get to the part where he will introduce them, she freeze and turn her head with a jerky movement, like a robot "emm" she fall silent, how can she tell Paul to not talk about something without mentioning that something in front of everyone?!

"Zelda Hooper" and stop here, hoping Paul understand, Oliver does know so hopefully he has updated his boss

Mikhail Razumovsky

5T8FtUZ6pwFNm0Kw9eRQhMh68kv5bofurE37Pe_cAOeC6BBPDIBSx8qcGjpNl-zWbPeTgAPWa53LnoHyFPdwWg0Z6ORjFG6FkwKfTtbDbKYlz9kOLuY8yD2C0hvZpDwXWMgyG6mq-M5gcoeyJnsfahU

Wounds: 12/12
Fatigue: 0/4

Ego Barrier: 25/25
Insanity: 0

Public relations were not part of Mikhail's training. When asked to pick clothes that were "smart" yet reflected his "personality", he went through his limited belongings and soon settled on a plain white button shirt, blue trousers and dress shoes. Not much "personality", but he wasn't sure what that had to do with clothes, except that it meant he couldn't just wear his uniform. At least it ought to fulfill the other requirement. Good thing it was warm down here, too.

On site, he was cooperative if absent-minded when not following clear instructions. His eyes followed the helpers' movements closely. He was particularly impressed when they managed to give some semblance of order to his hair, for how ever briefly. He made a mental note to remember how they did that; it may be a useful skill in the future, if this occasion was anything to go by.

"What will most people ask?" It seemed like the obvious question, except that the answer may be too long for the time they had now. "Anything in particular we should prepare for?"

image.jpeg.ba0ccaf0631c1f919a85c8a020e7aba5.jpegAnya wakes early and carries out her standard routine, despite getting very little slepp. She will have breakfast, but does not say much . As soon as she finished up, Anya will get ready.

The overthinking on the conference extends to what to wear. She decides on a smart white shirt, with her more 'casual' military jacket, jeans and boots. To add her own touch she will wear the watch given to her by her father and the red scarf knitted by her mother, tied around her neck and begrudgingly has her hair down.

She listens to the instructions about the press conference and what the others say but struggles to not get lost in her own thoughts.

Edited by Mattheus2924 (see edit history)
Name
Wilpower test
1d100 53
roll
1d10/2+2 1

Serena, the day of her team's first press conference, is up and out running at 0600 in PT gear and her weapons, something she, the locals, and the local police have gotten used to. It helps that she doesn't make trouble.

After a nice, long, calming run, Serena is back by 0700 and taking a long shower; one thing she doesn't miss about being in active national military service is the often short showers. Out of the shower at 0730, her clothing choice is simple: She is currently a NERV Operations Director and NERV Captain, so NERV Dress Uniform it is. It should give her some peace from Rebecca Jordan, seeing as Serena is not the main point of this press conference and she is backed by the full weight of NERV.

Captain Serena Silver has her Dress Uniform adjusted just right, with her matching headscarf folded just so over her notable hair and her mirrorshades in place, by 0745, to include her various weapons concealed about herself (all ready for instant violence). She gets herself breakfast and checks over last-minute paperwork at her desk in her bedroom, her door open, until all of her team is up.

Surprised at Zelda's question, Serena gives her input, which boils down to "show them something personal". She did, however, veto both Final Fantasy and Gundam on the basis of copyright law, as they may try to monetize Zelda appearing in them, something she figures Zelda probably does not want to deal with.

Once the four Pilots and herself head out to Media Room A, Serena takes the necessary time to check in with the Agent heading up Security and familiarize herself with the plans from the Person In Charge of them. After satisfying herself that the security is well-handled, Serena heads inside. Serena looks at Paul. "Paul, I've decided that Zelda Hooper is my Team Leader. Handle that how you will, but I figure you do need to know.

Oh, and are there any questions I'm expected to field, or am I just here for morale support from the sidelines?"

Captain Serena Silver

spacer.png

Wounds: 13/13

Fate Points: 3/3

Insanity Points: 0

The Setting 

Time and Date: 10:04, Thursday, 24th September 2023.

Media Room A

Ms.RebeccaJordan.jpg.8d1628d63b6f59ed8b22c56b78de8761.jpg

Ms. Rebecca Jordan

Reporter for CNN

Serena's PR nemesis

Emiko's question is answered by Oliver, who is standing near the end of the room. "Some questions will be open to all of you, some will be for specific people. It will be clear when the person asks, and if it isn't, you can always ask them to clarify." Paul nods along with his team member, making it clear the young man is right.

"The topics," Paul says in responder to Mikhail's question, "will vary a little as we have a wider spread of reporters today than normal." He takes a moment to point out a few pictures on the mirrors, with names under them, a list of some of the reporters.

"Some of the lifestyle magazines will be asking about you as people, likely work and life balance, perhaps trying to get gossip or some wishy washy answers from you that they can extrapolate from." He pauses for a moment.

"Others will be wanting to talk about the past conflict, the issues and successes. Sadly, normally dramatic headlines catch readers more, meaning some will focus on the issues. Just don't get riled up." He pulls his phone out briefly as it begins to buzz, before returning it to his pocket. "A few might try and ask about the internals of NERV, future plans, but they know that is out of scope for the pilots...But won't stop them from asking and trying to hide the question in someway. I will shut those down or direct them to Serena when I spot them, but keep on your toes."

When it is announced that Zelda is the team lead Paul looks a little surprised, though not in anyway rude, simply wasn't expecting it. "Alright..." He says the words and then takes a moment to think, the playing field may have changed.

As Paul thinks Oliver glances to Zelda in the mirror and gives a thumbs up, "congratulations cap."

"Okay, was she acting captain during the recent encounter, or was the appointment after? I will introduce her accordingly, and it will spin how questions are asked and directed I think." He takes a moment to make eye contact with Zelda, "along with where the press think they can funnel blame." He glances back at Serena, "I am expecting mostly support for the pilots, but with you being new they will question you also, and they might try to gleam information they shouldn't get from you as well." He points towards one of the photos on the wall, "as you know Ms Jordan will also be present, though I have spoken to her."

He gives Serena a faint smile and nod, "she will likely throw a spanner in the works. But it is better for us to keep and eye on her and see what is going on, from the questions she asks me and the team can figure out what story she is working on and tackle that head on."

PaulNosworth.jpg.10a50c3d5bd895f2f3172ae96e98fa85.jpg

Paul Nosworthy

Head of PR

OOC

In terms of mechanics I will go into more detail as we get into the press conference. But will give some overview now for people to ask questions IC and OOC.

This press conference is directly related to the 'Going Public' mission on roll20, meaning you will get the following rewards once completed.

- 10 trust for NERV.

- 80 XP

- Depending on how the event goes, you can get bonuses such as extra; trust, XP, surplus and/or research.

The 'success' of the press conference is determined by what you say and do, as it will impact the people who see the press conference, or read the newspapers when they are published etc. The three main groups that will be impacted are listed below, along with what they 'want' and what the rewards can be gained for pleasing them.

- The general public;

- Wants; feel safe, truth, bright future.

- Rewards: XP.

- The media;

- Wants; catchy headlines, subtle leads, private info.

- Rewards; XP, surplus.

- The UN;

- Wants; signs of strength, NERV support, "everything is fine"

- Rewards; Surplus, research

There will be a score you see for each of the three as we go through the press conference, the higher the score the better. You will see how it changes and questions come and go.

spacer.pngZelda too is a little surprised, Silver had already crowned her team leader but she thought it was something between the team or, at the most, within nerv; announcing it to the press is a whole different level, it is the fame she crave for but a part of her cant avoid but wonder the reason of such gift, it's too good to be true, what will Serena ask in return?

Then Oliver congratulate with her, the first person to do it, she smile and say, awkwardly "oh..um.. thank you" after a few seconds she add "but dont call me cap, we already have one, Zelda is fine" that title belong to Silver and she isnt going to steal from the one who's supporting her.

She doesnt comment on Paul first question, about when she was appointed, wanting to see how Silver answer, but she speak up when Nosworthy suggest the journalists may blame her "if they can point flaws in my actions, i'll listen" false, absolutely false, everyone a bit familiar with her know that she wont take criticism well, hopefully she'll bluff well

image.jpeg.ba0ccaf0631c1f919a85c8a020e7aba5.jpegThe news of Zelda's promotion snaps Anya out of her mood briefly, long enough for her to crack a genuine smile. "Congratulations Zelda."

Anya has been more than content to follow Zelda's lead in their short time as a team.

Mikhail Razumovsky

5T8FtUZ6pwFNm0Kw9eRQhMh68kv5bofurE37Pe_cAOeC6BBPDIBSx8qcGjpNl-zWbPeTgAPWa53LnoHyFPdwWg0Z6ORjFG6FkwKfTtbDbKYlz9kOLuY8yD2C0hvZpDwXWMgyG6mq-M5gcoeyJnsfahU

Wounds: 12/12
Fatigue: 0/4

Ego Barrier: 25/25
Insanity: 0

Mikhail nods and smiles encouragingly. He doesn't know her as well, but he's sure she would do well. Certainly she had a good head for tactics, based on her comments on the Denver team's fight.

Serena nods to Paul. "Paul, Zelda was appointed because of her actions during the last engagement. Her actions in trying to coordinate her untested team in a muddled situation, sharp head for tactics, and willingness to engage while putting a plan together show a balance of qualities I feel are needed and are beneficial to our Class C Pilot Team. I may not always agree with her, but she always looks out for her fellow Pilots professionally and tactically, and that I can respect.

I also happen to think it is best for Zelda's growth to be given the responsibility of helping interface between her fellow Pilots and the greater NERV organization. I don't plan to delegate anything seriously out of her league, like the hordes of paperwork that stalk my desk, but working with me through the tactical pre-planning, After-Action Reports, and being the focus for any requests her fellow Pilots have--although they are always welcome to exercise my Open Door Policy--to pass to me I think will help her grow, and also allow me more time to learn my new job as well as tackle all the damned paperwork.

I also, although this is not for public consumption, intend to put her into contact with Greg Wheatley, the Lead of Pilot Protection, and so long as any off-base excursions are filed thirty-six hours out with both me and him, let her handle filing requests for the Pilots to go places...so long as the paperwork is done to standard." Even through mirrorshades, it's pretty obvious Serena is giving Zelda a flat stare. "Abuse the trust, lose the privilege of scheduling your own movement once I teach you the paperwork for you and your teammates. And I'll make you start helping with my horribly boring-ass paperwork. I think I have an LCL Usage Audit Inventory somewhere for the last month that needs a manual check..." Serena smiles nastily, then grins a little more naturally.

"This, however, doesn't mean Zelda is the end-all be-all authority over you four--that's my job-" Serena chuckles, clearing not taking the part about 'her job' seriously. "-but while she is your Lead, I want all of you to work as a team. Your successes are your collective successes from here on out, your failures are your collective failures. Zelda is simply the person I think can best translate between all parties and motivate all of you, and has the necessary social and personality matrix to succeed in the job, not to mention sharp tactical skills...and also a drive to succeed, a fire that is necessary in this sort of high-risk, high-reward leadership.

So, Paul, in short, I appointed Zelda because she was the best fit for the job, stepped up and did it in the last fight even before being appointed, and showed sharp tactical skills. She also has a fire and drive I feel is critical to her success in the role. That she is a native is just a bonus.

As for Miss Jordan, I get it's better to let the enemy play their hand so you know what cards they hold, I just get tired of being accused of every more spurious and outlandish things. What was it last time? 'War Crimes during the Androsk Wars'? Again? She insults all of my honored dead and everyone I serve or have served with, and she doesn't consider anyone I work with safe, so I'm little worried about any shots she's going to take on my Pilots because they're my Pilots.

Pilots, beware of CNN Producer/Anchor/Reporter Rebecca Jordan. Other than that, Paul can explain as much or as little as he feels appropriate on that situation.

Questions, other than about Miss Jordan?" Serena looks around, clearly calmish, although partially perturbed from the subject of Rebecca Jordan.

Captain Serena Silver

spacer.png

Wounds: 13/13

Fate Points: 3/3

Insanity Points: 0

The Setting 

Time and Date: 10:05, Thursday, 24th September 2023.

Media Room A

When Serena indicates that Paul can fill the pilots in he glances towards them for a moment as he considers his words, "like most people out there she is just another reporter. She is looking for a story, they will ask questions and hope you give them something interesting. She might ask tricky questions, but that is her job, keeping us all honest." When it is clear no one has questions he nods to Oliver, "I will leave them with you for a bit then." The youngest gives a nod as Paul glances back to the five of you, "I will be checking the main room, if you need me then feel free to grab me." With that he bids you all farewell and takes his leave from the prep room and vanishes from sight.

You are kept in your seats for about thirty minutes as the make up team does their work, though conversation between you all is fine and doesn't disrupt the artist's work at all. Eventually, at about 11:35 you are free from your seats and able to get a stretch in, Oliver takes you briefly next door to see the main room, he takes some time to point out the cameras, lights and various other aspects about the set up to help you get comfortable. Eventually however you simply need to sit and wait in the prep room, where a TV is turned on so you can see exactly what is being filmed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

At about 10:55, just as Paul said, you watch the TV as the media begin to enter the main room. There are a total of perhaps twenty reporters, a few of them with their own support staff such as photographers. The room quickly fills up to about fifty people, with all the camera crews, NERV security and other mixes of people. You can see easily that each of the guests has their own temporary ID badge which sticks out like a swore thumb.

The media quickly get settled, though there is clearly a bit of energy within the room, not every day a reporter gets to be the first to meet the new NERV-London team. Paul is soon on the stage and like a conductor at a concert begins to control those before him, he is obviously well known to most of these people and comfortably has a joke with the crowd as he lays the ground rules and scope; he tells the reporters this is a time to get to learn about the team and their recent experiences within NERV, not a chance to question them on the dealings of NERV itself.

He makes it clear there are five of you, which doesn't catch any of the reporters off guard, they clearly knew about Mikhail as the newest addition.

For the next ten minutes he takes a number of generic questions.

"Are NERV planning on ignoring Turiel until it is too late?"

"As you know, we are bound by various rulings within the Valentine treaty and other legislation. Interfering with Turiel physically is currently not possible, though we are looking at all possible ways to assist in protecting people without breaking the pre-set regulations of the treaty."

"How is the development of NERV-05 Progressing, can a location be revealed yet?"

"I can assure you that development of NERV-05 is progressing as expected, though a location cannot yet be revealed. However, as we can all agree, enhanced coverage by NERV benefits us all."

"With the introduction of Pilot Mikhail, does this mean we will see a stronger integration of Class C and Bogatyrs?"

"It is still early days, however the sharing of personnel, resources and development is a strong step in the right direction."

The questions continue on for a little longer, though get into topics which are not the most interesting. Eventually Paul calls a cease to questions, and the reporters listen, clearly eager to meet each of you. At this point, Oliver indicates to each of you to follow him, he takes you out of the prep room and to a door which will lead directly into the media room, opening up next to the stage and table. He puts his hand on the door handle but doesn't open it, "when he says you name, I will open the door and you simply go in and take a seat and smile. Then let Paul control the questions."

Through the door you can clearly hear Paul speaking.

"Without further delay let me introduce the team. Leading the team of pilots, and the recently appointed operations director for NERV-London, is Captain Serena Silver. As you all know, a well decorated veteran both pre and post Androsk." The door is opened up by Oliver, allowing Silver out. As she moves into the room there is the flash of cameras as Paul gestures her to a seat with a smile.

"Our first pilot is Anya Links," the door opens up to let the young teenager out, "pilot of unit RX-0. One of our youngest pilots to graduate from the Neo spartan program into field duty." Once again, a flash of cameras bombards the young pilot.

"Our second pilot is Emiko Junsuina," the name is pronounced perfectly as the door is opened up for Emiko, "the pilot for the Class C unit Amaterasu, as known she is the AT tactician of this group." Flash, Flash, Flash. The cameras do not falter.

"The newest member of the group, Mikhail Razumovsky," once more Oliver opens the door with a smile, "joins NERV-London from Russia with his Bogatyr Svyatogor." Looking directly at the crowd is difficult, with the magnitude of cameras flashing at you.

"Lastly, though not least, Zelda Hooper." The door is opened by Oliver as he wishes you words of luck. "The pilot for Unit-17 and recently appointed pilot lead of this team." The flashes don't stop, though you are sure you can hear the muttering of words and see the scribbling of pen on paper.

With you all out he glances at each of you sat at the table, and gives you a reassuring smile as he stands at his podium.

Turning to the crowd he speaks out. "So, let us begin." As soon as says that the crowd before you erupts as hands shoot up and various people call out to Paul, he eventually points to one person and the crowd respectfully falls silent. "Jennifer, your question."

"Jennier, Metro Newspaper. Thank you Paul. A question for each of the panel, could you briefly describe to my readers how you first felt when you discovered you were becoming part of NERV-London, as a pilot or the operations director?" As her question comes to the end the flashing of cameras continues, and various people put pen to paper as they await your responses.

spacer.pngResting on her seat Zelda look at the press while listening to Jennier question, one open to the whole team, the teen already know whats going to happen, Emiko, Anya and Mikhail are going to wait for Silver or her to speak first, initially Zelda herself is tempted to delay and let the OD lead the way but she quickly dismiss these weak thoughts, she cant play cautious now.

After a glance to her companions she reply, determined to own the show.

"rewarded, i felt rewarded" after a pause to let them assimilate the message she add "at the academy all the cadets train and study with diligence, the instructors try to prepare them for something you cant be prepared for, the candidates spend hours and hours in the simulator, the results are meticulously tracked and only the top pilots have a chance to arrive this far. When they told me i had been selected, i felt rewarded and " she make another pause, a moment of hesitation, all planned beforehand "a bit afraid, coming here meant leaving my home, my family, my school and my friends, it's a big change" showing that she isnt perfect and that she value her family will make her appear more real, closer to the mass, the friendly Neighborhood Zelda kind of hero, or so she believe.

With some luck it will balance out Silver impossibly badass aura, shes more like a caped crusader kind of hero.

Emiko
spacer.png

Wounds: 0/12

Insanity: 2

Emiko had sat, crossed her legs at the knee, smoothed her skirt and folded her hands in her lap and waited. It was starting off well, Zelda had a great answer and she felt that it was a great start.

"For my part she pauses, just to allow people to focus off Zelda and on her, she'd been trained to do just that "I'm just glad that was able to be a part of this" she motions both in general, and to the rest of the team "It was the culmination of everything that I was working for, it meant a change, but a change that I wanted more than anything."

She pauses again, as if thinking. Truth be told she had planned well in advance most of her answers "When you are finally able to do what you practiced and trained for, its not only an honour but also a great privilege. I feel like this is where I belong."

ร—
ร—