Chapter 1: The Wizard's Walk

Eric

spacer.png
Tala Silvergrave

"'Tis a great many voices set upon the circumstances of my coin - " it's not quite a mutter, and the smirk on Tala's lips would be almost playful were it not for the flinty set to her grey eyes focused as they were upon the red-headed youth.  Rolling the coin upon the bartop beneath her finger her own smirk shifted, sliding to the other side of Tala's mouth and going vulpine and thin.  Without breaking eye contact with the lad, Tala flipped the returned half-crown in question from her hand to the barkeep.

"Towards the round then, the rest for your trouble.  And tell the Toliverson lad'll have my prayers; should the hurt persist have him send word - I'll put in a word for him with the sisters so he might be better mended."

"As for you - " it seems impossible, given her gaze had never left him nor her attention drifted, for the Cleric to somehow further turn her attentions further to the red-haired lad but with the words the full weight of her focus snaps into place and she indicates him with a single nod.

"Well done.  Very well done.  Clever." the way she says the word suggests no compliment; clipped and curt, a sneer cut off by between teeth and tongue.  Lifting her freshly impoverished hand, the smirk deepening into a knowing and unkind grin, she pointed to him once and then began marked her points off one by one, ticking them off her fingers.

"You present us with knowledge overheard as thine own, making yourself appear knowledgeable of this place while offering nothing genuinely new by which to gauge the claim.  You name the Toliverson boy as both foolish and unheeding your advice, marking yourself as his better in the bargain.  You mark my companions faith, suggesting kinship in devotion while snubbing my own and yet still you mark me by mine own name despite no introduction, a fact if known would, as sure as Her mark about my neck speak to which goddess I serve.  All of which presents itself a challenge where I, good acolyte I am, ought reply and counter your seeming error forcing further conversation and engagement.  And then you lay claim to the coin in the name of sparing my dwarven companions' their palates, siding seemingly with both of us at once.  I might read your statement as quiet sympathy for having to deal with the grumblings of my friends over ale and they might read it as the knowing approval of a fellow connoisseur.  And then, at the last you malign the lad who's position you would claim as not just foolish but shirksome, once again claiming yourself the better and aligning with my companions' suspicions of the boy and his injury."

"Every word from your mouth is a quarrel set against the gaps of our armor and all bent to but one purpose."  the smile widens, a Cheshire thing ear to ear baring teeth.  Slapping hands to the table Tala stands swiftly, despite the weight of armor.

"Bargained well and done.  Welcome to the company; I'll leave it to my fellows to negotiate your fee but know whatever you ask for - " she leaned in, the falcon about her neck dangling like the sword of Damocles over the space between them.  " - Freya shall see you earn it.  One way or another."

"Now, if you've still tongue for honest treating; have you a name, clever boy?"

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)

image.jpeg.8b357043f0583d12f63d1aaa01b45231.jpeg

Golon

The red haired youth met the cleric's accusatory tone with a faint smile.  "I've got a name of course."  He paused letting it sink in that he answered the Tala's question.  Don't we all.  Pausing again with a wave of his hand taking in the entire entourage at the bar counter.   "I gave yours Tala but I fear I'm at a loss for the rest but to show that I'm an honest fellow offering a fair trade of skill and knowledge for fair coin.  I'll enrich your knowledge before asking the same in return.  Name's Golon just a local farm boy breaking his father's old heart by running away from the farm life.  Now let's strike up a fair deal for a fair service.  Sounds like the lot of you are going after that wizard bounty.   I'm not much for killing a man just because some lord and lady say so.   I'll lead you to the man but I don't intend on taking a life for coin that's the way my mother raised me, gods bless her soul.   But if you'll pay me upfront what you were going to offer the Tolliver lad and a share of any treasure I may lead you to than I'd say that's a fair bargain for a fair service.  What do the rest of ye think?  Having put forward his offer Golon lifts up his mug of water downed beer to hide his mouth as he waited for an answer.

spacer.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

"A man should honour his father, boy," Stoyan frowns at the young lad, "Though he should also be true to himself. A father teaches that to a son though it may break his heart. A man must go his own way."

"I am Stoyan, son of Barakov, well met, Golan. Before we leave to slay necromancers you should visit your family and make peace with them and tell us where to find your kin lest you are crushed by rocks." It was worth knowing that and the advice came from sensible dwarven tradition so was obviously good.

"You'll need equipping with weapons and armour. What can you use? The cost will come from your share of the reward, mind you. We're not a charity."

Show Stats

STRENGTH 14 +1 to hit and damage

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

DEXTERITY 7 -1 AC, and range attacks

CONSTITUTION 13 +1 hit point

CHARISMA 12

Hit Points: 7/7

Armour Class: 3 (Plate Mail (3), Shield (Bonus of 1), DEX (Penalty of 1))

THAC0: 1d20+1 Battle Axe 1d8+1, 1d20-1 Crossbow 1d6

Edited by hoverfrog (see edit history)

Golon image.jpeg.8b357043f0583d12f63d1aaa01b45231.jpeg

The red haired youth nods his head as he listens to the dwarfs wise words. "I've got a sword and dagger for weapons and the leather I'm wearing to protect me but I don't really intend to need to use them.   My role is not in the slaying but in the guiding and surviving.   I think that I'm suitable equipped for my role ahead.   When do you wish to depart?"