Chapter 1: The Wizard's Walk

Eric

image.png.43d2d6ae4e6cc87532fc661aa2253990.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

"That's why dwarves invented crossbows," Stoyan seems loathe to agree with anybody even when they are agreeing with him. Perhaps that's just the way he is, "Though bringing him back alive may be difficult if his vitals are all full of holes. Nothing was said about bringing his friends in though."

Show Stats

STRENGTH 14 +1 to hit and damage

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

DEXTERITY 7 -1 AC, and range attacks

CONSTITUTION 13 +1 hit point

CHARISMA 12

Hit Points: 7/7

Armour Class: 3 (Plate Mail (3), Shield (Bonus of 1), DEX (Penalty of 1))

THAC0: 1d20+1 Battle Axe 1d8+1, 1d20-1 Crossbow 1d6

spacer.png
Tala Silvergrave

Tala brow lifted, an arch curve punctuating the controlled surprise on her face as she took in Stoyans suggestion of shorting the half-crown to their guide and waging for a lower wage.  The frown that flashes across he lips moves with the swiftness of one of Stoyan's dwarven bolts and lifts with the suddenness of action, two glittering crowns appearing between her fingers and lifted to the barkeep with a seeming nonchalant indifference despite those coins being the half sum total of Tala's meager holdings.  Glancing up to the barkeep, Tala smiled a winsome grin.

"A crown for thee and a crown for he; yours half due the meal and ale and the other as promised for the answer.  His, half for his commission as guide  and the other for his care.  If you would arrange the introductions?"  Looking back to the rest of the table, the cleric shrugged at her own extravagance.

"I'd not see our lives held in the hand of one underpaid; better gratitude for generosity guide his steps than spite for thrift.  Besides - " she flicked Her holy symbol of Freya with a thumb, a stylized silver falcon whose wings glinted in the firelight of the 'Walk, tracing a phantom gyre about her throat.  " - generous beginnings lead to generous endings, or so the Sisters would say."

And failing that, she'd still have two coins left to pay the ferryman . .  .

Coin & Expenditures-2 Gold Pieces, bringing Tala's total to 2 remaining.

spacer.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

"Well, we should head to Threshold Garrison first," Stoyan announces, "To register our interest and make sure the job hasn't gone to some other, quicker group."

He gets to his feet, finishes the last of his ale, and belches, "We shall return to speak to this guide of yours, barkeep. Is everyone ready?" If they are he heads out and marches across to the garrison, otherwise he waits huffily for them to finish.

Show Stats

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

CHARISMA 12

Hit Points: 7/7

THAC0: 1d20+1 Battle Axe 1d8+1, 1d20-1 Crossbow 1d6

Edited by hoverfrog (see edit history)

"Don't you worry, I'll have him here by the time you make it to Threshold and back." The barkeeper sounds confident, but after the six-mile round trip journey–interspersed with waiting in line at the garrison to register–the group returns to the Wizard's Walk to find the man shaking his head ruefully.

"So, I spoke to his old man. Turns out the kid twisted his ankle real good yesterday, and isn't going to be taking long hikes for awhile. If it please 'ye, I'll put that half crown to a round for all of you as recompense?"

spacer.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

Giving Tala a frown that is supposed to indicate that she has wasted her money on a poor deal but probably just looks like bad humours, Stoyan responds to the barkeep, "We'll go without the lazy child."

A twisted ankle was no excuse to miss a day's work for the dwarf. If he'd lost the limb then he might have an excuse but a simple sprain.... Humans were known to be frivolous, lazy creatures, lacking the industry and work ethic of dwarves. They were nearly as bad as elves.

Show Stats

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

CHARISMA 12

Edited by hoverfrog (see edit history)

image.jpeg.8b357043f0583d12f63d1aaa01b45231.jpeg

"Sorry you talking about the Toliverson boy? Heard he twisted his ankle something fierce.   Really a shame I tried teaching that lad to slow down a bit more times than I can count." the interruption came from a young red haired man a few stools down the bar at the tavern.  "I couldn't help but overhear your misfortune and amazed at the coincidence.   I know these lands like the back of my hand.  Raised right out in the farmlands to the North.  And to think there's another worshipper of Frey among the lot of you truly must be a sign from above.   Now did I hear right that there are some grand stories to be made and long hikes ahead perhaps where local knowledge might be of a benefit to you more than a drink of questionable quality."  He says the last part with a slight smile towards Tala.  "Nothing personal Tala of course, just nothing to appease the discerning palates of our dwarves here.   I'll strike a deal with the lot of you.   I'll take the Toliverson lad's role as well as the coins he's too lazy to earn"

spacer.png
Ashera Grequinal

Ashera frowned slightly as she learned of the Tolverson lad's misfortune.  Twisting one's ankle was something she had experienced herself as a young elf, and the amount of time it took her to heal, even with her extended lifeline, was too much.  Sitting around doing absolutely nothing for days and weeks on end was not a pleasant thing she wished to ever do again.  She shook her head at the news, and she started to speak up about the half-crown when the red-head down the bar began to talk about joining their ranks and getting the coin they had meant to go towards the lad.

"Take that half-crown and give it to the lad anyhow," she stated to the bartender, her eyes moving towards the newcomer.  "I surmise the lad tries to earn money to help his family, and with his injury it may be some time before he is able to do that again.  That half-crown was meant for him and his family, and I think it'd be a shame to not show a bit of compassion here.  We can make him earn it properly at a later time, yes?"

She looked to the newcomer fully, taking in his words about being a guide for them and taking the gold they promised the boy.

"I have no qualms with you joining and guiding us, especially if you know these lands the way you say you do.  I also have no qualms about paying you a fair coin, provided you earn it."

image.jpeg.8b357043f0583d12f63d1aaa01b45231.jpeg

"No one's trying to get an unfair coin here.  Just offering up my services as I hear your other guide is unable to serve.  I assure you I know the area quite well, better than most, but where exactly were you heading.  And I'm not asking for more than what you've just offered to pay someone for lying in bed."  the young man says with a sly smile. 

Thoridin shrugs, and turns to the barkeep.

Do you know this young man, and is he as good a guide as he says he is? I am not a particularly skeptical dwarf, but due diligence is always worthwhile.

Shrugging, he continues,

In any case, the reward is large enough to split several ways. If you are willing to take on a ... more active ... role in this company, I will put forwards that you earn a full share. Equal risk, equal reward, that's what I say. Never skimp on giving mason or sculptor their due!

image.png.43d2d6ae4e6cc87532fc661aa2253990.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

Good grief, I've joined a charity, Stoyan thinks to himself as even the other dwarf in the group suggests giving away money.

"Now, now, there's no reason to be frivolous with the reward," he looks the skinny lad up and down, "What skills do you have, boy? We need a guide to help us find this Bargle villain. As the paper says, 'This outlaw is said to make camp in the vicinity of Mick's Bend', so where would he be hiding out? Where would be a good place to hide round these parts?"

Show Stats

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

CHARISMA 12

spacer.png
Dejrik Garraksen

Dejirk winces at the thought of a broken ankle. He winces again at the thought of another round of human ale. But the only wince to make noise was at the thought of Stoyan's stunning contribution to the refutation of classic Dwarven stereotypes.

"It's hardly frivolous on the condition of equal work ... though I'll admit I'm worried any kid motivated to walk into the hells over coin and glory is going to be more work for everyone rather than less ..."

He quickly decided that finishing that train of thought out loud would be bad for morale.