Chapter 1: The Wizard's Walk

Eric

Many years ago, this part of the Realms of Man was ruled by a magic-user named Cyre, a man of great and mysterious powers. He ruled the lands from his mighty castle Stormshelm high in the northern foothills, sheltered by the crags of the Misty Mountains.

Cyre died after a long and peaceful rule, with no heir or successor to his fortune. Yet his enigmatic power seemed to stretch beyond the grave, for no one dared stake claim to his estate, and few dared even venture near the crumbling ruins of his citadel.

Now, centuries later, the outline of the broken towers can still be seen on a clear day from the edge of Mick's Bend, a farming village upstream from the garrison town of Threshold. The "Benders" trade on the legend, variously telling of hauntings, packs of wild dogs, and other such dangers along with copious treasure and magical artifacts ripe for the plucking, a destination at once forbidding and alluring. The lone inn is named the Wizard's Walk, and coin flows as freely as mead when Cyre's riches are the topic of the bard's nightly offering.

Every now and again, bands of adventurers come to the Wizard's Walk, but few have chosen to walk the path, and none have come back heavy-laden with riches. Perhaps you will be the lucky ones?

You have gathered around a diner table in the Wizard's Walk, the famed (and only) landmark of Mick's Bend, to discuss your plans. The Walk is busy this night, filled with ruddy-faced townsfolk and some other adventurers, all of them eating, drinking, laughing, and having a splendid time. The tales told in his hall, too, are legend--tales of monsters lurking within the ruins and guarding rich treasures left behind by Cyre. None of you have been this way, but the opportunity is at hand, and now it is decided that you will try your luck the following morning.

As though to warn of the dangers present in the area, a newly placed parchment is nailed to one of the wooden columns near the doorpost.

WANTED!

Alive or Dead

By order of the commander, Threshold Garrison, a bounty of 1,000 gold pieces shall be paid to the one who captures Bargle, renegade magic-user. Bargle is wanted by the Crown to stand trial, upon pain of death, for the murder of Aleeya Brandunn, acolyte of the Temple of Freya in Threshold. This outlaw is said to make camp in the vicinity of Mick's Bend.

Use Caution

Keep Alert

Assume Hostile Intent

spacer.png
Dejrik Garraksen

"A thousand pieces ..." Dejrik thought aloud, his voice more worried than intrigued. "How many people will push their luck to catch a man with a price like that on his head?"

Still, he makes note of any depiction or description provided. Should they run into a stranger in need, it's better to not be left wondering if they're saving a wanted man.

spacer.png

"And why upon the condition that we take the blasted sod alive?" The thought drifts up and out with the same frothy carelessness as the head of foam upon the ale in Talas hand. That self-same head nearly splatters across the table as she sweeps her arm - hand, mug and all - wide in disbelieving shrug.   She'd seen the memorial, Hells, the shrine to the nigh-sainted Aleeya - the departed sister's temper so unlike Tala's own as to be drawn not just in contrast but judgement all new novitiates to the order and her own wayward self specifically - in the temple her first moon-stay within Threshold and had lit her own candles in prayer to that particular fallen.

Slumping back in her seat, propping one boot up upon the edge of the table, the priestess finished her drink before lifting a calming hand to the companions seated around the table.

"Pardy, an idle thought fellows, I'll not jeopardize the bounty much as My Lady might wish her vengeance otherwise.  'Orders of the crown, we live in a society' and all that - " that and her own share of the reward was already spoken for, her luck and her debts being what they were. " - but seems an odd stipulation.  Especially upon account of his magicks: I always thought it was safer, in the case of a 'user, to fell him 'fore he proved capable of speech as that it where the danger lies . . . "

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)

image.png.43d2d6ae4e6cc87532fc661aa2253990.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

Stoyan drinks his ale and grimaces at the lack of body and flavour to it. May as well be drinking water!

"It is a greater challenge to take someone alive. That's why the reward is so high. Any fool can cut a man down with an axe," the dwarf huffed and drops the empty mug on the table with a thud, "I'll do it! I'll bring Bargle to justice but I'll need someone to watch my back. Wizards are tricky foes. Best to catch them while they're sleeping if you can. A share of a thousand gold coins is better than none. Who is with me?"

spacer.png
Ashera Grequinal

Ashera sat at the table, her eyes going from person to person she sat with, and then scanning the rest of the inn.  She held a slight smile with her lips and a copper tankard with her left hand, her thoughts running to the adventures she would certainly have with this newfound group of friends she was with.  They were discussing the where-to's and why-for's of the crisp parchment tacked to a post about this Bargle fellow.  Some magick-using sod who, for one reason or another, was wanted by the Crown.

"They want him alive, I suppose," she interjected during the appropriate lull in the conversation, "so that the Crown can make an example of him by putting him to death themselves.  It wouldn't seem like they had any real power to enforce their own laws if they just paid someone else to take him out.  Nor would it instill that sense of fear in the general population to abide by the laws that the Crown needs to stay in power.  Would it?"

The words came out with a touch of both jest and sarcasm, mixed in with a hint of her own fear of the Crown.  She wasn't about to get on their bad side, especially not when they were literally posting signs that they wanted to kill one man.  If they would kill one man for whatever he was accused of, what would they do to someone who was seditious and slanderous?

"But their reasoning is not for us to decide.  If they want him alive - and to the tune of a small fortune, no less - then who are we to argue?  I'll put in my own bow to help this cause, especially if it puts us on the good side of the Crown."

Edited by Scarecrow71 (see edit history)

spacer.png
Dejrik Garraksen

Dejrik looked around the table with wide eyes, gently nursing the pint of watered-down-water the humans call ale.
"If we all want to capture him, who am I to object?" he sighs as his stein runs empty, "although, this may make our mission to Stormshelm a longer one ..."

Thoridin shrugged at all the clamor regarding the wisdom of the mandate to capture, not kill, their quarry.

Aye, it is easier to plant an axe in someone's back, or place a quarrel 'tween the eyes, but what would that say of the world? That the local constabulary can deputize glorified brigands - and make no mistake, if this was a mission to kill for gold, that is what we would be - to inflict upon individuals extrajudicial execution sans trial?

No, to bring this sorcerer to face the Crown's Justice alive is the noble end we are brought to. Freya will soon enough sort out the contemnors of her flock from her seat of judgment.

Moving on to practical matters, he suggests,

We'll want a map of sorts for the region to guide us, that's for certain. And we might want to ask around to find out what type of eldritch curses this evildoer could hurl at us. Preparation is half the battle, after all. Ideally, we'd tackle the lad in his sleep, bundle him up with rope, and haul him back to town before he's any the wiser.

Hey bartender, Thoridin says in a relatively quiet tone. Know where we can find a good map of the area? Any traders, hunters, or trappers about?

image.png.275a20ebbce76510153dad737623596a.png

"Well, I for one am happy to go where the group goes, to earn the rewards due from the work.  Not least of which on account of this shiny... new...? armor which you were gracious enough to purchase on my behalf.  If we have to take this person alive, well, maybe we can just talk them into surrendering?  Trial certainly beats death."

Stoyan Barakovsen

Stoyan snorts, "The mage can talk when he's properly bound and gagged." He sees no irony in his statement but clearly means to capture and gag Bargle before trying to negotiate with him.

"Bargle is a feeble wizard. Once his spells are gone he'll be no threat to anyone. We just have to weather his spells or catch him unawares."

spacer.png
Dejrik Garraksen

"What makes you think he's feeble?" Dejrik asks, with more presence in his voice than he's shown so far. "We know he's a murderer, and we know he's surviving outside the city. With or without magic, that second part takes strength."
As though remembering himself, Dejrik shrinks back into his seat. "I'm just saying, underestimating your enemies won't end well ..." he mutters into his drink.

spacer.png
Tala Silvergrave

"'Weak and feeble' t'was more a turn of phrase, I suspect; arcanists are not known for their strength of arms after all.  But -"  Tala shrugs, canting her head to one side, eyes narrowing as she licked an absent bit of ale from her lips thoughtfully

"You've a point.  To survive outside the walls suggests a certain potency.  If I had to wager I'd lay coin that Bargle's strength lies not in arms but in numbers.  A small band of mercenaries or brigands might get along quite well in the wilds, or he might be able to ensnare and ensorcell fell beasts or goblins to his command.  Mayhaps best to think him but the head of the snake - the eyes that guide and venomous when teeth are bared, leading a larger body of equal danger."

"And as to your point Astrid - " Pulling her legs in from their kicked up lean on the table, Tala suddenly sat upright and leaned in, pointing to her fellow acolyte with a drained mug of ale.  " - I fear Bargle mightn't make that distinction.  Unless we can offer 'surety that the Crown will not take the final sanction upon Bargle's life for his crimes any discussion of a trial or surrender must acknowledge that possible end.  My order would petition the crown for his execution, at any rate."  The cleric shrugged, gesturing over the barkeep to fill her now empty cups.

"I lack the honey'd tongue to talk a man into a possible noose.  Doesn't mean 'tis not possible but if you manage it I'll see you to half my share of the bounty for the lesson."  Tala grinned, wide and wolfish at the dare.  What good was coin if it didn't make life more interesting, anyway?

"But, more pressing debts first - " turning to her head to follow her own gesture the barkeep, Tala raised her voice.  " - another round, 'keeper.  And my companion's question?  Know you any cartographers, guides or traveling folk who might lay out the nearby environs?  There's coin in gratitude for the question if you have an answer."

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)

The bartender dutifully brings over a set of pints for the table. "Guide? Yeah, I know a guy. Lives in town, knows the highways and byways like the back of his hand. For a half-crownthat is, five pieces of silver, he'll take you anywhere you could want to go inside a half-day's walk."

Thoridin nods in gratitude to the bartender,

Thanks for the food and drink, and for the referral. That's good bartending for yah, har! My wager is that he is holed up in Cyre's old redoubt. The legend of one magic user is likely to be an allure to another. But we'll exchange honest coin with this guide and see what he has to say and show.

Addressing his companions, he adds,

And as for taking the guy alive or dead, well, I've made my view clear on the matter, but Bargle himself gets a bit of a vote on that. But that idea of just weathering his spells - everything I have heard suggests that trying to shrug off the malevolence of the arcane art head on is a fast route to the grave.

Stoyan Barakovsen

"Aye, that's the phrase," Stoyan agrees, "Weak and feeble. No wizard is going to be carrying rocks or working in a forge for twelve hours. He'll be looking over his books and getting servants to cook and clean for him."

"It seems like he'd need help in the wild. Bandits and thieves or mayhap something altogether nastier under service enforced by magic, I don't doubt," this was pure speculation on the dwarf's part but it was fair to say that facts never stood in the way when Stoyan was making guesses and drinking ale, "We should offer the guide three silver. Three silver is a fair wage for a day's work. Where can we find him, barkeep?"

spacer.png
Ashera Grequinal

Ashera listened intently to the conversation taking place, not sure where she could interject herself.  All this talk of Bargle and guides and maps was necessary, but it didn't seem that they were actually getting anywhere with it.  She nodded her head in agreement when Stoyan mentioned the wizard potentially having allies in the wild.

"There is truth in that, Stoyan," she stated as she pulled her mug up to her lips again.  "Not being very physically adept does not necessarily mean weak.  The mind is a powerful muscle, and wizards do like to flex that one at every opportunity.  We should expect a rather warm and unfriendly welcome wagon well before we ever see the whites of his eyes."