Charisma: 7

Race: Human

Alternate Racial Traits: Imposter-Wary

Height: 5' 3"

Weight: 126 lbs.

Class: Investigator [Empiricist]

Favored Class: Investigator

Favored Class Bonus: HP + 1

Traits: Precise Treatment; Well-Provisioned Adventurer (Disadvantage: Umbral Unmasking)

Campaign Trait: Local Ties (Disable Device).

Skill Ranks: 6 + Int mod = 11

Skills Trained: Acrobatics [1 Rank], Disable Device [1 Rank], Heal [1 Rank], Knowledge (Arcana) [1 Rank], Knowledge (Dungeoneering) [1 Rank], Knowledge (Local) [1 Rank], Linguistics [1 Rank], Perception [1 Rank], Spellcraft [1 Rank], Stealth [1 Rank], Use Magic Device [1 Rank].

Background Skill Ranks: 2

Skills Trained: Craft (Alchemy) [1 Rank], Knowledge (Engineeering) [1 Rank].

Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms); Gunsmithing

Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, Sylvan.

Hit Points: Max (d8) + CON (2) + FCB (1) = 11

Starting Wealth: 

Backstory

Khonnir Baine brought Val at age 2 to the town of Torch in order to hide from the Technic League.  Val grew up, not knowing that she was adopted or the story behind that, but noticed that her father always seemed wary of strangers and careful about telling anyone anything.  As she grew, they were a family to each other, though her father was heavily involved in his work and somewhat secretive. Val realized along the way that there were some things about her own self that seemed different from others, and she learned to be wary and conceal these differences, often even from her own father, so as not to worry him.  Val seemed to have growth related issues, and was always on the shorter side and physically weaker; the girl also often acted without common sense and had to be taught to think everything through, which led her to became stunted socially.  Khonnir was  Val's father and also her teacher; under his tutelage she learned some magic, some alchemy, and a lot of how to use her naturally gifted mind.  

When Val was 10, Khonnir brought home another girl named Domino.  Val was initially confused because there were many strange things about Domino; she was obviously older than Val, but she acted younger.  Domino seemed even more emotionless than Val was and prone to similar problems with a lack of common sense.  Strangely, though it might seem that they would not get along, they did so extremely well because they were so similar.  Each knew that the other would not look down on them for their many strange behaviors and so they became very close.  It was like they got each other, so they didn't need anyone else, and the development of their social skills atrophied further.

Val was growing and maturing slowly and by the time she turned fourteen Domino still looked like a young adult; also growing slowly yet always at the same level of physical maturity.  There was no jealousy or rivalry between them; in fact, Val and Domino were like peas in a pod, communicating in subtle ways that others didn't pick up, almost as though they were twins who didn't look anything like each other.  Val continued learning magic and alchemy and logic with Khonnir, but began to branch out to studying healing, because the local Doctor, Patir Devir, was impressed how Val was so cool-headed when she broke her arm and was taken to him for treatment.  Val applied her logical precision to assisting the Doctor, and quickly became his most praised apprentice. 

Khonnir though secretive was probably worried about the girls' socialization, so he began taking them out on family nights to the local tavern in Torch.  Here, the girls definitely began to diverge more.  Val seemed just as withdrawn as always, but Domino became much more outgoing as she discovered gambling, music, drinking and young men.  Val cautioned her sister, because she knew that Khonnir wanted to keep their family at a low profile, even if she didn't know why.  Khonnor watching Domino's exploding excesses began to phrase his instructions as orders and the young android predictably began to rebel against both sage sisterly advice and parental control.  Then... one night, she vanished.

It would be possible to assume that Val was unaffected by the loss of her sister because of her lack of emotion, but Khonnir could tell she was distraught beyond measure.  Val demanded that they immediately get the authorities to search for Domino, or start doing it themselves.  Khonnir, though he cared for Domino, balked at both ideas, telling Val that they had to maintain their low profile, and for the first time he admitted to Val that he had enemies who might be looking for him.  This was where, despite her love for Konnir, Val stopped studying with him, giving up on the idea of wizardry.  The young girl continued learning healing from Doctor Devir, but she also applied some of her salary from that apprenticeship and the rest of her free time to learn skills from a retired investigator.  

As her father worried more and more about strangers asking questions about them, Val began her own quiet investigation into what might have happened to her sister.  For three years she continued being a healer, and learned to ask questions and collect facts trying to puzzle out where Domino had gone.  Whenever someone passed away during the healing who had no relatives, she took advantage of her situation to make items disappear that might be useful to her.  Her plan was simple; once she had figured out what happened to her sister, she was going to set out and find Domino, so she gathered equipment that she thought might be helpful to a young girl on the road.  When someone died after their pistol had blown up in their face, Val collected the damaged firearm and studied it, until she figured out enough to repair it.  Val knew that she would need some kind of advantage to protect herself and rescue Domino, because she was still thin and weak.  Bit by bit, over the three years, Val methodically gathered her adventuring supplies and kept asking questions.

As time passed, Val began to relieve some of her stress by abusing certain alchemical extracts to fill that missing part of herself, but eventually her patient investigations bore fruit and she learned that Domino had been kidnapped by someone who wanted her for lacivious purposes.  Val was given a name of a contact in Hajoth Hakados that she could visit for more details.  Val put together her adventuring kit, left a message for Khonnir in their secret drop box at the house, not wanting to admit to him that she'd been hunting for Domino all this time, and then left.

Edited by Wiz (see edit history)

Just need a quick blurb on the background story points we've discussed.  If you need help with some of the background stuff, lemme know and we can hash it out.  I see you've elected to make her a teenager again, I'll have to modify a date on my lore I believe.

Mechanics-wise:

• Missing class features on character sheet. Important, as you may want to keep tabs on your Inspiration pool and such!
  • Bonus languages are based on intelligence bonus (and linguistics skill ranks).  You should be entitled to 2 more.
  • Languages are not recorded on character sheet.  As human, Val should also be entitled to her local/native human dialect, which is Hallit, in addition to Common.
  • Investigators begin play knowing 2 + Int mod 1st-Lv formulae.  In this case it should add up to 7.
  • I see you've elected to use Fractional Base Bonuses.  Is that a want?  (I'm not against it, but if I'm going to allow it, I'll need to write it in for everyone's benefit.)
  • Also just as an FYI, with your feat choices, you're effectively delaying the extra investigator talent [alchemist discovery (infusions)] feat, which means you won't be able to share your extracts with others for a while.  Entre all the jokes about Val being a selfish drink hoarder xD
Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

If you need her older, I can totally do that.

I don't need to do fractional bonuses (espcially since I'm only variant multiclassing, which doesn't affect stats).  I'm just used to putting them in, I can totally change that if you so desire.

I'm aware of the delay in letting other's infuse, but there's no other way to do the gun thing, which I totally want to try.  Care to give me a flaw so I can have an extra feat? 😉

Also, I'm using my trait to improve healing skill so I can help that way.

Yeah I hardly use those extra blocks on those sheets. I’ve always looked at them as just optional spaces for character background content that should be written/rp’ed out. If something doesn’t have a numerical/mechanical effect, it generally doesn’t end up on my sheet.