Book One: The Scouring of Gate Pass | Act Two: Retrieving the Case

bwatford

Iymbryl Darcassan - Shahalesti Paladin https://i.pinimg.com/564x/19/cc/f5/19ccf52461370b5a820a83760ba0a075.jpg

AC: 17 (chainshirt & shield) | HP: 25/25 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 13 (60ft Darkvision) | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 (+5, DC 13) | Lay on Hands: 15/15 | Leadership Performance 3/3 

Iymbryl stopped pretending to look at things he couldn't see to face Anne. Silence draped over them for a moment as he considered what to say to her. Mentsu was a complicated thing for Elves raised in Elven lands to adjust to, he really didn't expect Anne to understand it in moment. But he did find it strange she couldn't imagine such things could be taught. She did something similar, he knew, it was why he'd pulled her aside in the first place. It made him grateful that most of the time she was so candid with him. He recalled his own youth, struggling with what felt so inherently wrong. Why couldn't everyone just be honest? As he studied his current conversation alone, he understood exactly why, though that didn't give him much hope for the future.

He gave her a weak smile. "Truthfully, that moment was rather...uncomfortable. Imagine violating something that was ingrained in you for decades. But yes, I do trust you; more than anyone. Obviously I haven't told you everything about my life, but I certainly trust you with it." His outburst still bothered him deeply. He'd always felt like he had done so well to put forth a persona of someone who could be trusted with responsibility, and yet after just a few days he had crumpled into nothing like a piece of ancient parchment. Iymbryl didn't really understand why, but it also felt wrong to let Anne seem him in his moment of weakness, as though it might lower her opinion of him. And strangely at the same time, he didn't think there was anyone else in the world he could let his guard down in front of. He forced himself out of his own mind and returned his attention to her, hoping to change the topic.

Her powers were strange, and Anne wasn't the best at academic descriptions. Though her comment was starting to make him wonder about how her magic actually worked. "What makes your mind link easier with me? I remember you told me once you don't use it with everyone, is that some sort of limitation?"

When she started to digress about Shahalesti and Ragesia, Iymbryl immediately realized his error. As she continued, he couldn't help but feel guilty. If the last twenty-four hours had taught him anything, it was that his ethical beliefs had somehow shifted greatly since he had come to the city. He was grateful for that, and yet it felt like some connection to his homeland had withered away without his notice. Anne was right, he was certain Shaelis wasn't all bad, and yet his interactions with his own people had started to make him question if there was a right side in all of this.

"Upbringing is a very small part of who a person is in my opinion. If someone is good or bad is determined by their actions and choices. But I've always believed no matter how you were raised, everyone understands the difference between right and wrong. Some people turn a blind eye to it and hide behind their preconceptions, but that doesn't justify what they do. Being ignorant isn't a sin; but truly believe staying that way is."

But deep down, part of him feared Anne was right. What if there was no hope for the people of Gate Pass? That was, after all, the real reason he'd decided to align himself with the Resistance. It was the only road that might lead to an eventual peace. It was the only road to a better life for Anne, and everyone like her. And until that peace was achieved, Lyceum was the only place she would be safe. The only question that remained unanswered in Iymbryl's heart was: how how many lives would he have to take to ensure she had that future?

The guard captain let out another sigh and put a hand on her knee. He wasn't sure if she was simply scared, or felt overwhelmed, or something else entirely. But Iymbryl knew that no matter what he had to get Anne out of Gate Pass. "I know things seem bad. But taking this case to Lyceum is the best way to help everyone in the city. Torrent was right to pick you for this, you've done a lot of good for the city in the last twenty-four hours.  And there is no way I'll make it to Lyceum with this group if you don't come." A sly smile crept across his lips. "Plus, you kind of owe me for ditching me on New Year's Eve to fraternize with what I think technically could be considered a syndicate...which are illegal, in case you didn't know."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Shield

Action: N/A
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Spells

Cantrips:
Minor Illusion (Shape Shadows)

1st Level:
Cure Wounds, Command, Disguise Self, Shield of Faith

2nd Level:
Invisibility (Shape Shadows)

Olvyn Tallindor - Human Cleric (Grave)https://i.ibb.co/sVDd7y5/human-wizard-small.jpg

AC: 16 | HP: 21/21 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 13 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4 2nd 2/2 (+5, DC 13) | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Concentration: None

Olvyn, disguised as the elderly elf, hovered around the serving table and busied himself helping Belfyr prepare his meal. Truth be told, it didn't seem like the experienced chef needed much assistance so skilled he was at his craft. Seeing his help was not necessarily needed, the older man instead looked over the result Belfyr's work and took to picking out the finest portions of the dish to set aside for their quarry.

Upon hearing the arrival of their guest of honor, Olvyn quickly made his way to Bronn. Touching the dwarf on the shoulder, the disguised necromancer whispers "Let's hope the Worm smiles on us today" before making his way to intercept the newly arrived elf.

(In Elven) "Ah, I had heard there was still at least one true practitioner of the arcane arts remaining in this facility. The rest of these initiates could not tell a cantrip from a ritual by the looks of them. I made sure to reserve a special plate for the true protector of this school lest these pigs eat all the best parts themselves. Come, come, right this way."

The elderly elf that was Olvyn then started to lead the long haired elf towards the table where Bronn was sitting and his prepared plate was sitting. (In Common) "Out of the way you drunkard. Go drown your sorrows elsewhere. There is serious business about."

Mechanics

Off Hand: Empty

Bonus Action: None
Move: None
Manipulate: None

Action: Cast Guidance on Bronn beforehand

Name
Deception
1d20+4 15

spacer.pngBronn the Salvor (Mountain Dwarf Artificer)

AC: 18 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +2+2 Dex | Passive Perception: 10Darkvision 60' |Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 | Concentration: None | NotesCurrent arcane armor: Infiltrator
Blade of the Resistance: 1/1
Powered Steps: +5' speed
Dampening Field: Advantage on Dex(Stealth)
Defensive Field: 2/2 (Guardian armor only)

Bronn made himself inconspicuous at one of the tables, hunched over his food in his hooded cloak, doing his best impression of a cloth covered rock in hopes that he wouldn't be recognized.  He stifled his responsive grunt to Olvyn's comment, feeling the inspiration the man passed along to him and resenting it all the same.  It irritated him how useful the elder Tallindor was - a thing that he was sure was purposeful, as it made him that much harder to simply abandon.

When Olvyn began leading the target to him - a plan he didn't think was necessarily the wisest - he kept his head tilted forward and bobbed it once as he unhurriedly departed his station.  The move was meant to make him appear unperturbed but also to allow his quarry to get close enough that his angle of departure was restricted to where he needed to pass next to her.  He didn't look up, confident that from her angle his face was hidden and his blocky form would hide the movement of his hand, and passed her on the side where the pouch dangled. 

He had a moment to hope she hadn't spelled it somehow before it was hanging in front of him like a ripe fruit.  He deftly snagged it as he passed by, moving his hand only enough to do the job, Baen's clawed wings extending just enough to make sure the way was clear for him. Not waiting to see if he was noticed, he kept moving forward, toward the exit where Anne and Iymbryl had gone.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Jeweler's Pick
Off Hand: Shield

Action: Sleight of hand with advantage from Baen and guidance from Olyn to lift the spell component pouch
Bonus Action:
Move: Pass by Shaelis and move to exit where Anne and Iymbryl are
Manipulate:

Name
Sleight of Hand
1d20+1d4+4 16,3
Sleight of Hand (Advantage)
1d20+1d4+4 4,4

Yveran "Anne" Tallindor - Half-Orc Sorcererspacer.png

AC: 12 | HP: 20/20 | HD: 3/3d6 | Initiative: +2 | PP: 13 | Finder's Magic: 1/1 | Font of Magic: 3/  S3 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4 2nd 1/2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Her lower lip tucked below her teeth, decided how to answer the question about her gifts.  She hadn't spoken on it much, the two who knew about didn't ask many questions.  "I've only ever used it with you and Bronn.  I know you both and trust you both.  But you're very different.  Very.  Different."  Anne laughed quietly thinking about the first time she surprised the dwarf with a link.  It was funny now, then it had terrified her and him.  "I said it last night, you guard yourself, hide your emotions even when you aren't trying.   I know that doesn't make sense, but that's how it feels.  Bronn...that's not how he is.  He guards what he says, but what he thinks and feels... it's like a raging river.  It took a bit to get used to."  She sighed, her gaze returning to him.  "So, it's easier with you.  Even when I get hints of things that...that I know you don't want me to know."  She looked away, avoiding eye contact.  "I haven't linked with anyone else because I don't trust anyone else enough.  I guess I just assumed that if I could feel some of your emotions bleeding through, you could feel mine as well."  Her head leaned back again, rolling to the side to glance down the stairwell.  "As a kid, Olvyn constantly asked me to try things, test things, to see if 'I was special'.  It was like he knew I had magic.  But this didn't show itself until he was gone."  Anne looked up to the ceiling again, her voice changing, defiance lacing her words.  "This is not what I want to make me special, Iym.  If anything it's my art.  That's me, mine.  That's how I want people to know how I think and feel."

The words had tumbled out of her lips.  She hadn't realized there was so much tied up in the simple idea of why does or doesn't link.  But there it was, all laid out.  Anne's cheeks puffed out, then let the air slowly escape.  "Sorry about that.  Guess I had it building up for some time."  She nervously laughed at herself.  He continued to speak though she was honestly getting confused if he was talking about her or his people.  They hadn't sat down for a long chat in a bit.  He had been busy lately with extra shifts and she had taken on a few commissioned pieces.  She liked listening to him talk, even if she didn't always follow what he was saying.  Her mind tried to hang in there with him for as long as she could, but she had learned to give a smile or nod once he lost her, and he would continue rattling on.  It was comforting, just letting him speak.  It wasn't part of the attraction she was still trying to shake, this was pure comfort.  His voice was a balm for a bad day.  He was what she could count on, he was the sound that carried her home when drunk beyond thought.  It made the darkness fade and chased nightmares away.

"Hm?"  She blinked, realizing her mind had wandered.  "Lyceum?  I don't even know much about it."  Anne smiled widely at his last statement, genuinely smiled.  "We have a City Guard leading us.  This is a completely legal operation for the betterment of all.  If this isn't the kind of fun you intended for New Year's Eve...you shouldn't have been following me."

Mechanics

Action: ...

Bookkeeping

Full Statblock

Yveran "Anne" Tallindor
Half-Orc Aberrant Mind Sorcerer 3

Str 12 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 8 Wis 12 Cha 16

HP 18/20 HD 3d6/3d6 AC 12 Speed 30 ft

Passive Perception 13 Initiative +2

Languages Common, Elvish & Goblin
Background Untamed Youth

DaggerFinesse, light, thrown (range 20/60) +4 attack, 1d4+2 piercing

Proficiency +2 Saving Throws Constitution & Charisma
Skills Acrobatics, Intimidation, Perception & Persuasion
Tools Painter's Tools
Instruments None
Weapons Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
Armor None

Features DarkvisionYou can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.Hunter's IntuitionWhen you make a Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check, you can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the ability check.Finder's MagicYou can cast the hunter’s mark spell with this trait. Starting at 3rd level, you can also cast the locate object spell with it. Once you cast either spell with this trait, you can’t cast that spell with it again until you finish a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.Spells of the MarkIf you have the Spellcasting or the Pact Magic class feature, the spells on the Mark of Finding Spells table are added to the spell list of your spellcasting class.

1st: Faerie Fire, Longstrider
2nd: Locate Animals or Plants, Locate Object
3rd: Clairvoyance, Speak with Plants
4th: Divination, Locate Creature
5th: Commune with Nature
SpellcastingAn event in your past, or in the life of a parent or ancestor, left an indelible mark on you, infusing you with arcane magic. This font of magic, whatever its origin, fuels your spells.

Cantrips
At 1st level, you know four cantrips of your choice from the sorcerer spell list. You learn additional sorcerer cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Sorcerer table.

Spell Slots
The Sorcerer table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your sorcerer spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these sorcerer spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

For example, if you know the 1st-level spell Burning Hands and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast Burning Hands using either slot.

Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher
You know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the sorcerer spell list.

The Spells Known column of the Sorcerer table shows when you learn more sorcerer spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 3rd level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.

Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the sorcerer spells you know and replace it with another spell from the sorcerer spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellcasting Ability
Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your sorcerer spells, since the power of your magic relies on your ability to project your will into the world. You use your Charisma whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Charisma modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a sorcerer spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Spellcasting Focus
You can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus for your sorcerer spells.
Origin: Aberrant MindPsionic Spells
Starting at 1st level, you learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Psionic Spells table. Each of these spells counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells you know.

Whenever you gain a sorcerer level, you can replace one spell you gained from this feature with another spell of the same level. The new spell must be a divination or an enchantment spell from the sorcerer, warlock, or wizard spell list.

Psionic Spells
Sorcerer Level Spells
1st Arms of Hadar, Dissonant Whispers, Mind Sliver
3rd Calm Emotions, Detect Thoughts
5th Hunger of Hadar, Sending
7th Evard's Black Tentacles, Summon Aberration
9th Rary's Telepathic Bond, Telekinesis
Telepathic SpeechStarting at 1st level, you can form a telepathic connection between your mind and the mind of another. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You and the chosen creature can speak telepathically with each other while the two of you are within a number of miles of each other equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 mile). To understand each other, you each must speak mentally in a language the other knows.

The telepathic connection lasts for a number of minutes equal to your sorcerer level. It ends early if you are incapacitated or die or if you use this ability to form a connection with a different creature.
Font of Magic (3)At 2nd level, you tap into a deep wellspring of magic within yourself. This wellspring is represented by sorcery points, which allow you to create a variety of magical effects.

Sorcery Points. You have 2 sorcery points, and you gain more as you reach higher levels, as shown in the Sorcery Points column of the Sorcerer table. You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level. You regain all spent sorcery points when you finish a long rest.

Flexible Casting. You can use your sorcery points to gain additional spell slots, or sacrifice spell slots to gain additional sorcery points. You learn other ways to use your sorcery points as you reach higher levels.
Creating Spell Slots. You can transform unexpended sorcery points into one spell slot as a bonus action on your turn. The Creating Spell Slots table shows the cost of creating a spell slot of a given level. You can create spell slots no higher in level than 5th. Any spell slot you create with this feature vanishes when you finish a long rest.

Converting a Spell Slot to Sorcery Points. As a bonus action on your turn, you can expend one spell slot and gain a number of sorcery points equal to the slot's level.

Creating Spell Slots
Spell Slot Level Sorcery Point Cost
1st 2
2nd 3
3rd 5
4th 6
5th 7
Metamagic: Careful & EmpoweredAt 3rd level, you gain the ability to twist your spells to suit your needs. You gain two of the following Metamagic options of your choice. You gain another one at 10th and 17th level.

You can use only one Metamagic option on a spell when you cast it, unless otherwise noted.

Careful Spell. When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures from the spell's full force. To do so, you spend 1 sorcery point and choose a number of those creatures up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). A chosen creature automatically succeeds on its saving throw against the spell.

Empowered Spell. When you roll damage for a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to reroll a number of the damage dice up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one). You must use the new rolls.
You can use Empowered Spell even if you have already used a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

Equipment

Assets: 84 gp

Carried/Worn Total for Pack

o Light Crossbow
o Quiver w/20 bolts
o Common Clothes
o 2 Daggers
o Staff (Arcane Focus)

Dungeoneer's PackIncludes a backpack, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, 10 torches, a tinderbox, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.
o Painter's Supplies
ToiletriesIncludes a small sack, soap, mirror, brush, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, and a washcloth.

Spell Casting

Spell Save DC: 13
Spell Attack Mod: +5
Spells Known: 4+2+2
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4 2nd 1/2

Cantrips

Acid Splash

Infestation

Mage Hand

Mind Sliver

Prestidigitation

1st Level

Arms of Haddar

Dissonant Whispers

Faerie Fire

Ice Knife

2nd Level

Calm Emotions

Detect Thoughts

Shatter

Web

Iymbryl Darcassan - Shahalesti Paladin https://i.pinimg.com/564x/19/cc/f5/19ccf52461370b5a820a83760ba0a075.jpg

AC: 17 (chainshirt & shield) | HP: 25/25 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 13 (60ft Darkvision) | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 (+5, DC 13) | Lay on Hands: 15/15 | Leadership Performance 3/3 

Iymbryl had no concept of what Anne felt when she made her mind link, but he could understand the vague sort of feelings she described. He had never overly lied to her, but there had always been a hesitation, a fear that a stray thought would give him away. Like only ever letting her see one side of a coin. He was both the man who had become Anne's best friend, and the man who had come to Gate Pass with the intention of getting revenge against Olvyn. There was both relief in the fact that he had been successful, and guilt that he had never been able to be truly open with her. All of this, and she was sitting there telling him how much she trusted him.

He thought back to the feeling of the mental link. She had done it countless times, but Iymbryl had never really tried to focus on what she was conveying, only hiding parts of himself. "Magic might make you unique. But it has never been what made you special. And I can't say I've ever felt anything from from the mind link, but that might be my own fault. We can try to figure it out together, if you like. Also, I didn't follow you anywhere, I was personally invited by Torrent, if you'll recall."

The guard captain couldn't help but chuckle. Of course Anne had thrown in for something like this without even realizing the ramifications of what she was doing. No matter how things changed, he was grateful some things probably never would. No, he knew that look. She wasn't even paying attention to what he had said. Iymbryl let out a sigh.

No matter how much he tried, he couldn't ignore the mounting guilt. She had trusted him, and he had essentially used her. Iymbryl opened his mouth, trying to find the words to tell her everything. To explain what had happened to his father and what had truly brought him to the city. To beg for her forgiveness for the hatred and evil he harbored in his heart. He searched and search, but could find no gentle way to say such painful things. After a long moment, he realized there was no kind way to say what he needed to, and he simply steeled himself. She would probably hate him, probably never speak to him again. But at the very least, she would have the truth.

"Anne, there is something I need to tell yo-" Out of the corner of his eye, Bronn came around the corner and up the stairs. The guard captain immediately went rigid, realizing he had not only been lapse in paying attention to the situation, but distracted Anne from doing so as well. "Bronn. How did it go?"

Mechanics

Spells

Cantrips:

1st Level:

2nd Level:

spacer.png

Book One: The Scouring of Gate Pass Act Two: Retrieving the Case

The scene was slightly like organized chaos, but then what better way to distract some than chaos?  One minute the elven woman is adding some food to her plate quietly, then multiple things sprang into motion.  First, one of the half-breeds began spouting off about the dish in front of her.  She assumed he was the chef, but the display seemed...forced.  Suddenly her guard was up, and just then an elderly touched him.  She immediately stiffened, waiting for the moment when he made his move on her.  She relaxed a bit as he shooed the vile dwarf away from her, realizing he was just trying to show her the respect she deserved.  Her head was turning in every direction, so she didn't appear to notice when Bronn deftly slipped her component pouch away from her.

Seeing the task complete, Diogenes made his way up to prepare for the duel.  Shealis murmured to the old elf in front of her.  "Who exactly are all you people?"  She still seemed to be watching for trouble.

Show Active Maps

Currently Not In Use!!!

AC: 18 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +2+2 Dex | Passive Perception: 10Darkvision 60' |Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 | Concentration: None | NotesCurrent arcane armor: Infiltrator

Almost as if he hadn't ever taken a break from such activity, the pouch was in his hand and stowed beneath his cloak so casually as to be invisible to everyone around him.  He continued his shuffle out of the room, a quick grin flashing behind his beard to nobody but himself. He'd been fairly confident that something would go wrong and he'd draw the elf's ire and the relief felt pretty good right about now.

__Got it.__ he thought to Anne, only a moment before he opened the door on their private tryst.  He strode into the room as though he didn't notice the awkwardness his interruption had caused.  Without preamble, he held out the pouch to Anne and gave Iymbryl a knowing look, his dark eyes seeming to see into the tall Captain.

"Well that went better'n I expected."

Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:
Manipulate:

AC: 12 | HP: 20/20 | HD: 3/3d6 | Initiative: +2 | PP: 13 | Finder's Magic: 1/1 | Font of Magic: 3/  S3 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4 2nd 1/2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Anne began to lean forward, ready to hear what Iymbryl was about to say when the dwarf's voice entered her mind.  Before she could report to the Captain or respond to Bronn, he had arrived.  She glanced at her hiding companion, realizing the moment had passed, whatever he was going to tell her would have to wait.  

At the offer of the pouch, Anne accepted the sorcerer's tool.  "Honestly...get a real focus."  Her opinion of Shealis continued to diminish now that her components were in her hand.  But she didn't expand further on the thought and glanced back to her friends.  "Good job Bronn."  Her smile grew as her back leaned against the wall.  The half-orc pulled her feet away from Iymbryl's side, folding one leg below her and the other bent bringing her foot to rest on the step below.

She patted the space now opened between the two, offering the dwarf a seat.  "I'm glad it's you two.  I'd not want to be here with anyone else."

Mechanics

Bookkeeping

Full Statblock

Yveran "Anne" Tallindor

Background Untamed Youth

Tools Painter's Tools
Instruments None
Armor None

Features DarkvisionYou can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.Hunter's IntuitionWhen you make a Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check, you can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the ability check.Finder's MagicYou can cast the hunter’s mark spell with this trait. Starting at 3rd level, you can also cast the locate object spell with it. Once you cast either spell with this trait, you can’t cast that spell with it again until you finish a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.Spells of the MarkIf you have the Spellcasting or the Pact Magic class feature, the spells on the Mark of Finding Spells table are added to the spell list of your spellcasting class.

SpellcastingAn event in your past, or in the life of a parent or ancestor, left an indelible mark on you, infusing you with arcane magic. This font of magic, whatever its origin, fuels your spells.

Cantrips
At 1st level, you know four cantrips of your choice from the sorcerer spell list. You learn additional sorcerer cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Sorcerer table.

Spell Slots
The Sorcerer table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your sorcerer spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these sorcerer spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

For example, if you know the 1st-level spell Burning Hands and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast Burning Hands using either slot.

The Spells Known column of the Sorcerer table shows when you learn more sorcerer spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 3rd level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.

Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the sorcerer spells you know and replace it with another spell from the sorcerer spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellcasting Ability
Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your sorcerer spells, since the power of your magic relies on your ability to project your will into the world. You use your Charisma whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Charisma modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a sorcerer spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spellcasting Focus
Starting at 1st level, you learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Psionic Spells table. Each of these spells counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells you know.

Whenever you gain a sorcerer level, you can replace one spell you gained from this feature with another spell of the same level. The new spell must be a divination or an enchantment spell from the sorcerer, warlock, or wizard spell list.

Psionic Spells
Sorcerer Level Spells
Telepathic SpeechStarting at 1st level, you can form a telepathic connection between your mind and the mind of another. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You and the chosen creature can speak telepathically with each other while the two of you are within a number of miles of each other equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 mile). To understand each other, you each must speak mentally in a language the other knows.

The telepathic connection lasts for a number of minutes equal to your sorcerer level. It ends early if you are incapacitated or die or if you use this ability to form a connection with a different creature.
Font of Magic (3)At 2nd level, you tap into a deep wellspring of magic within yourself. This wellspring is represented by sorcery points, which allow you to create a variety of magical effects.

Sorcery Points. You have 2 sorcery points, and you gain more as you reach higher levels, as shown in the Sorcery Points column of the Sorcerer table. You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level. You regain all spent sorcery points when you finish a long rest.

Flexible Casting. You can use your sorcery points to gain additional spell slots, or sacrifice spell slots to gain additional sorcery points. You learn other ways to use your sorcery points as you reach higher levels.
Creating Spell Slots. You can transform unexpended sorcery points into one spell slot as a bonus action on your turn. The Creating Spell Slots table shows the cost of creating a spell slot of a given level. You can create spell slots no higher in level than 5th. Any spell slot you create with this feature vanishes when you finish a long rest.

Converting a Spell Slot to Sorcery Points. As a bonus action on your turn, you can expend one spell slot and gain a number of sorcery points equal to the slot's level.

Creating Spell Slots
1st 2
2nd 3
3rd 5
4th 6
5th 7
Metamagic: Careful & EmpoweredAt 3rd level, you gain the ability to twist your spells to suit your needs. You gain two of the following Metamagic options of your choice. You gain another one at 10th and 17th level.

You can use only one Metamagic option on a spell when you cast it, unless otherwise noted.

Careful Spell. When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures from the spell's full force. To do so, you spend 1 sorcery point and choose a number of those creatures up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). A chosen creature automatically succeeds on its saving throw against the spell.

Empowered Spell. When you roll damage for a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to reroll a number of the damage dice up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one). You must use the new rolls.
You can use Empowered Spell even if you have already used a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

Equipment

o Light Crossbow
o Quiver w/20 bolts
o Common Clothes
o 2 Daggers
o Staff (Arcane Focus)
o Shealis' Component Pouch

Dungeoneer's PackIncludes a backpack, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, 10 torches, a tinderbox, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.
o Painter's Supplies
ToiletriesIncludes a small sack, soap, mirror, brush, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, and a washcloth.

Spell Casting

Cantrips

Acid Splash

Infestation

Mage Hand

Mind Sliver

Prestidigitation

1st Level

Arms of Haddar

Dissonant Whispers

Faerie Fire

Ice Knife

2nd Level

Calm Emotions

Detect Thoughts

Shatter

Web

Bronn waved off the offered seat, the space a little too close between the two to be comfortable.  Instead, he stayed on the landing where he was more or less eye to eye with the seated pair.  It felt better than looking up at them anyway, and as his eyes traveled between the pair they settled on the guard captain. 

"You look out of sorts," he said, scratching his eyebrow with a fingernail.  "Don't worry yourself, all's fair in war - it ain't thieving if their ain't no victim, right?"

He wondered if Diogenes would be able to best Shaelis, and he wondered how much it really mattered.  The rough part was going to be getting that case from the pair that was guarding it.  So much the better is Shaelis wasn't there - not that having her alive and hunting them down was the best prospect, but they could deal with that later.

"We going after the case now?  I think it's better we do it quick, this way it don't so much matter what happens with this duel."

Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:
Manipulate:

The stress building in Iymbryl's furrowed brow dissipated as Bronn presented the pouch. One less thing to worry about, at least. Though they still had a lot of work to do. "Well done, Bronn." It felt odd to congratulate someone for STEALING, but in this particular instance, it was certainly preferable to everyone burning alive. He clapped the Dwarf on the shoulder and gave him a nod of approval. 

It was sort of amusing to hear Anne talk down to someone else about their magic, when she didn't even understand how her own powers worked half the time. But Iymbryl very wisely let that slide, especially since he didn't know the first damned thing about arcane magic. Instead he focused on Bronn's comment. "I wouldn't say out of sorts. But this whole mess has been a rather stressful endeavor. Though...there is no such thing as a victimless crime." He glowered at Bronn for a moment, but eventually broke back into an easy smile. "But I am glad you were able to handle it so masterfully. The less blood we have to spill the better. And this way, Diogenes will have an easier time getting one over on her. "

"I think you're right. We should make our way down as soon as we can." Iymbryl tossed the hood of his cloak up and took a deep breath. "We'll most likely still need to deal with Larion and the Lantern Archon. But with everyone here and the element of surprise, we can probably manage without too much trouble." He just hoped the case was in her room and not half way to his homeland by now...

Mechanics

Spells

Cantrips:

1st Level:

2nd Level:

Name
Stealth
1d20+4 16
Cunning Intuition (Stealth)
1d4 1

Her lips began to pout when the dwarf refused her offer, but as the conversation quickly turned to action, Anne didn't pause.  While she wasn't overly concerned about Belfyr's opinion of her, and she wasn't willing to admit what her father's meant, she knew with certainty that the opinion of the two with her on the stairs mattered a great deal.  The half-orc stood with the mention from Bronn that they should get going.

She tried to stifle a laugh when Iymbryl commented on victimless crimes.  "Ah, there's the Stick we know so well."  The attempt to prevent a chuckle caused a snort to hiccup through her nose.  Anne cleared her throat, pretending it didn't happen.  "Alright, off we go then.  The others will meet us outside once the duel starts, right?"  An edge of nervousness tinged her voice, the mention of the elf and celestial not going unnoticed.  

Anne shook out her shoulders, loosening her limbs for the action of slipping out unseen.  In her mind she was going through the tips Bronn had given her over the years.  Be nimble.  Be small.  Be quiet.  Don't look like you're running from something.  She watched as Iym raised his hood and she realized she had no hood to raise.  A cloak and hood had never made sense to her, but now seeing how it hid him and his armor, the sorcerer understood.  All she had was a leather jacket.  It would have to do.

On the balls of her feet, the artist took a step at a time.  She hugged the wall as it curved back to the main floor.  Her head leaned out past the entry so a single eye could spy their companions.  Content that the elven woman was engaged with others, Anne moved to the door with an attempted ease, though she tried to find as much darkness to hide in as she could.

Mechanics

Bookkeeping

Full Statblock

Yveran "Anne" Tallindor

Background Untamed Youth

Tools Painter's Tools
Instruments None
Armor None

Cantrips

Spell Slots

Spellcasting Ability

Spellcasting Focus

Psionic Spells
Sorcerer Level Spells

Creating Spell Slots
1st 2
2nd 3
3rd 5
4th 6
5th 7

Equipment

o Light Crossbow
o Quiver w/20 bolts
o Common Clothes
o 2 Daggers
o Staff (Arcane Focus)
o Shealis' Component Pouch

o Painter's Supplies

Spell Casting

Cantrips

Acid Splash

Infestation

Mage Hand

Mind Sliver

Prestidigitation

1st Level

Arms of Haddar

Dissonant Whispers

Faerie Fire

Ice Knife

2nd Level

Calm Emotions

Detect Thoughts

Shatter

Web

Name
Stealth
1d20+2 11

Belfyr - Half-Elf Ranger8daae369607892fa793b818b437f9a62.jpg

AC: 15 | HP: 20/20 | HD: 3/3d10 | Initiative: +3 | Gathered Swarm | Favored Foe | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 2nd -/- | DM Inspiration: 1/1

The task of presentation was not something Belfyr had a ton of familiarity with before today. He wasn't that kind of cook and his normal eaters were not that kind of audience. But he he knew the basics. Show the food, explain the food, get out of the way. It had been a simple enough task and he found it to be just as insufferable as he imagined it would be.

Once done, the half-elf went back to checking what was left in the stew pot for spoil and disposing of the remnants of vegetables left on the cutting boards in the waste. As he tossed the stems into the small basket, he thought about the fact that there wasn't likely anyone who would be taking them out to compost in the next few days. The world would be a different place between now and then, regardless of which side won. The thought almost caused him to turn and confront the elven woman one last time, but instead he busied himself with another kitchen task. Busy hands made for a compliant Belfyr.

With the kitchen relatively clean -or at least as much as he was going to do given his time left in this place- Belfyr looked up to see that the tables had lost some of its guests. Those left lingering wouldn't likely bother to inspect if he went missing and so he simply headed for the exit. 

Mechanics

Main Hand: Quarterstaff

Action: Your action goes here.

Bookkeeping

Full Statblock

BelfyrHalf-Elf Ranger (Swarmkeeper) 3 NG

AC 15 HP 20 Speed 30 ftft

Str 14 (2) Dex 16 (3) Con 10 (0) Wis 14 (2) Int 10 (0) Cha 12 (1)

Attacks
Longbow
Quarterstaff

Half-Elf Features:
Darkvision
Fey Ancestry: Adv on saving throws vs charmed,
Magic can’t put you to sleep.
Skill Versatility: Persuasion, Survival
Ranger Features
Favored Foe: Tasha's pg 57
Natural Explorer:
Fighting Style: Defense +1 to AC when worn
Spellcasting
Ranger Archetype: Swarmkeeper
Gathered Swarm
Swarmkeeper Magic: bonus Mage Hand, Faerie Fire
Primeval Awareness: PHB

Equipment

o Longbow
o Quiver w/20 arrows
o Common Clothes
o Studded Leather
o Quarterstaff

o Herbalism Kit
o Mess Kit
o Cooking Utensils

Spell Casting

Spell Save DC: 10
Spell Attack Mod: +2
Spells Known: 
Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 2nd 0/0

Cantrips

Mage Hand

1st Level

Faerie Fire

Cure Wounds

Goodberry

Hunter's Mark

2nd Level

The dwarf gave Anne a reassuring pat on the shoulder, his brow cragged at what they were about to do.  Lifting that pouch was the easy part, and she had cause to worry.  Still, the odds were as good as they were going to get so best they got to it sooner than later, or they'd miss the bit of surprise they possessed.

"Keep yer head down, it'll be fine," he said, wondering if he would have been better shifting to his heavy armor. More protection but at the cost of speed and silence, which seemed to him to be a good bit of protection on its own.

"Besides, that charge I put in the Captain's armor is still good, so he's even more protected than all that metal would indicate."

He deliberately didn't use Iymbryl's name, not sure what he'd walked in on and a bit annoyed that the elf had been glad to see him rather than worried about what he might have overheard.  Not but what it mattered anyway - he liked Anne enough to try and keep her out of trouble so he felt reasonably confident he'd watch her back in a fight.  He'd proved more than capable at that so far, though it'd be a bright day in an empty mine before he'd admit it.  He gestured with a hand, where Baen still clung to his wrist.

"Baen can do a little basic scouting for us when we get close, peak in a window or something and at least give us a head count."

Mechanics

Action: A quick reminder that Bronn put an Enhanced Defense Infusion on Iymbryl's armor so he's got an additional +1 AC.
Bonus Action:
Move: Use stealth and double move out of the tower
Manipulate:

Edited by Gralhruk (see edit history)
Name
Stealth
1d20+4 19

spacer.png

Book One: The Scouring of Gate Pass Act Two: Retrieving the Case

Despite her clear predilection for vegetables, Shealis ate her food like a ravenous predator.  The trio on the stairs were able to get by her, with her back turned to the door, without so much as a hint that she had any idea they had been there at all.  The downfall of her eating habits was that she was tearing through her meal rather rapidly.  She was just about finished when  Belfyr decided to make his retreat.  The woman saw him leaving and called to him rather loudly.  "Half-breed!  Your food is much better than I thought it would be."  She then finished what was on her plate, stood, and made her way to the stairs.  Diogenes was already waiting for her.  

Those already outside the eating area can see a square building with a sign pointing to it that says "Dorms".  There is no one around outside.  After eating everyone started to head up the stairs to see the "show".  There are no signs of life in the building the signs point to either.     

Show Active Maps

Currently Not In Use!!!

Olvyn Tallindor - Human Cleric (Grave)https://i.ibb.co/sVDd7y5/human-wizard-small.jpg

AC: 16 | HP: 21/21 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 13 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4 2nd 2/2 (+5, DC 13) | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Concentration: None

Olvyn, still disguised as the elderly elf, gives the female elf a soft chuckle as she asks her question as to their identity.

"Who am I? Oh, nobody of importance. Not anymore at least. There was once a time I would have shown these Ragesians the error of their ways but those days are past unfortunately. Eat up. You will want to be free from distractions for what lies ahead." 

The disguised necromancer then gives Shealis a wink before letting her finish her meal. When she's done, he takes her plate from her, wishes her good fortune and goes to tidy up until she is out of sight. After placing the dirty dish with the others, the former wizard instinctually begins the casting of a Prestidigitation spell to take care of the mess. Just as he begins in the old familiar incantation, when his brand suddenly flared into painful being causing him to stumble and almost topple the dish pile. "Really? Not even the basics?" Olvyn muttered to himself as he tried to steady his breathing and shake away the numbing pain.

Looking around the room now, Olvyn could see the area was rapidly emptying as people had eaten their fill. Turning back towards the stair Belfyr had taken, Olvyn paused at the first step as he weighed his choices. On the one hand, he could head to the dorms to help the group retrieve the mysterious case of unknown importance. Or he could turn to search the various labs, library and classrooms for what he truly came for, an answer to his own debilitating dilemma. After a brief internal debate, the former prisoner made his way out the doorway to the others though he decided to stay further to the back of the group in case he needed to disappear quickly.

Mechanics

Bonus Action: None
Move: None
Manipulate: None

Action: None

Edited by Krezzlar (see edit history)