Davos Kir, Aldori Duelist

TheRaconteur

Davos Kir

The best secrets are hidden in plain sight.

spacer.png

"Of course they sent me away, I'd have done the same in their place."

WARLOCK 1 (Hexblade)

Medium humanoid male (Yuan Ti), lawful neutral

Armor Class 14

Hit Points 9 ( 1d8 )
Speed 30' ft.

Senses darkvision, passive perception 9

Languages common, draconic

Proficiency Bonus +2

ABILITIES & SKILLS 

Proficiency Bonus: +2

Strength 08 (-1)
Save -1
Athletics -1

Dexterity 16 (+3) 
Save +3
Acrobatics +5 | Sleight of Hand +3 | Stealth +3

Constitution 12 (+1)
Save +2 
No skills associated.

Intelligence 14 (+2)
Save +2
Arcana +4 | History +2 | Investigation +2 | Nature +2 | Religion +2

Wisdom 08 (-1)
Save +1 
Animal Handling -1 | Insight -1 | Medicine -1 | Perception -1 | Survival -1

Charisma 16 (+3) 
Save +5
Deception +5 | Intimidation +3 | Performance +3 | Persuasion +3

(E) denotes expertise. / Bold denotes proficiency.

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES

• Tools Land Vehicles, Playing Card Set
  • Instruments None
  • Weapons Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons, Aldari Dueling Blades
  • Armors Light, Medium, Shields

WARLOCK CLASS ABILITIES

Otherworldly PatronYou have struck a bargain with an otherworldly being, the Hexblade. | Pact MagicYou can cast known warlock spells using CHA as your spellcasting modifier (Spell DC 13, Spell Attack +5). You can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus. | Hexblade's CurseStarting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).
You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.
 | Hex WarriorAt 1st level, you acquire the training necessary to effectively arm yourself for battle. You gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons.

The influence of your patron also allows you to mystically channel your will through a particular weapon. Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. This benefit lasts until you finish a long rest. If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon’s type.

RACIAL TRAITS - YUAN-TI
Serpentine SpellcastingYou know the poison spray cantrip. You can cast animal friendship an unlimited number of times with this trait, but you can target only snakes with it. Starting at 3rd level, you can also cast suggestion with this trait. Once you cast it, you can’t do so again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast it using any spell slots you have of 2nd level or higher. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells when you cast them with this trait. | DarkvisionYou can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray. | Magic ResistanceYou have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects. | Poison ResistanceYou have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the poisoned condition on yourself. You also have resistance to poison damage..

PACT MAGIC 

Level 1st - Spell DC 13 - Slots 1/1

• Cantrips  Eldritch BlastA beam of crackling energy streaks toward a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 force damage.

The spell creates more than one beam when you reach higher levels: two beams at 5th level, three beams at 11th level, and four beams at 17th level. You can direct the beams at the same target or at different ones. Make a separate attack roll for each beam.
     | Poison SprayYou extend your hand toward a creature you can see within range and project a puff of noxious gas from your palm. The creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 1d12 poison damage.

This spell's damage increases by 1d12 when you reach 5th level (2d12), 11th level (3d12), and 17th level (4d12).
     | PrestidigitationThis spell is a minor magical trick that novice spellcasters use for practice. You create one of the following magical effects within range:

You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as a shower of sparks, a puff of wind, faint musical notes, or an odd odor.
    You instantaneously light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.
    You instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot.
    You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.
    You make a color, a small mark, or a symbol appear on an object or a surface for 1 hour.
    You create a nonmagical trinket or an illusory image that can fit in your hand and that lasts until the end of your next turn.

If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.
  • 1st Animal FriendshipSnakes Only

This spell lets you convince a beast that you mean it no harm. Choose a beast that you can see within range. It must see and hear you. If the beast's Intelligence is 4 or higher, the spell fails. Otherwise, the beast must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by you for the spell's duration. If you or one of your companions harms the target, the spell ends.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can affect one additional beast for each slot level above 1st.
     (W) | HexYou place a curse on a creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage to the target whenever you hit it with an attack. Also, choose one ability when you cast the spell. The target has disadvantage on ability checks made with the chosen ability.

If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to curse a new creature.

A remove curse cast on the target ends this spell early.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd or 4th level, you can maintain your concentration on the spell for up to 8 hours. When you use a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can maintain your concentration on the spell for up to 24 hours.
     | ShieldAn invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.

(W) denotes at will. / (P) denotes prepared. (R) denotes ritual spell

WEAPONS

WEAPONS

• Aldori Dueling Sword +5 to hit for (1d6+3) slashing | Finesse, Versatile (d8)
  • Dagger +5 to hit for (1d4+3) piercing | Finesse, light, thrown (20/60)
  • Eldritch Blast +5 to hit for (1d10) force | (120)

EQUIPMENT & ENCUMBERANCE

TOTAL ENCUMBERANCE (95.20 lbs.)

• Weight: 95.20 lbs. / 135 lbs. max. (15 x STR Score)
  • Penalty: None

MONEY POUCH (0.20 lbs.)

Copper: 0 | Silver: 0 | Gold: 10 | Obsidian: 0 | Platinum: 0

(10 Coins x .02 lbs. = .20 lbs. Total Weight)

EQUIPEMENT READIED (20 lbs.)

Equipped items can be retrieved with a manipulate item interaction.

• Armor (10 lbs.) Leather Armor - 10 lbs.
  • Weapons (4 lbs.) Aldori Dueling Sword - 4 lbs. | Dagger x2 - 2 lbs.
  • Readied Items (16 lbs.) Crystal 1 lbs.
  • Clothes (3 lbs.) Common Clothes

EQUIPMENT STORED (73 lbs.)

Stored items can be retrieved with an action.

• In Backpack (55 lbs.) Backpack - 5 lbs. | Mess Kit - 1 lbs. | Rations x5 10 lbs. | Crowbar | Hammer | Piton | Hammer 3 lbs. | Tinderbox 1 lb. 
  • Strapped to Backpack (18 lbs.) Waterskin - 5 lbs. | Hemp Rope 10 lbs | Blanket - 3 lbs. | 

EQUIPMENT NOT CARRIED (--)

• At Home none

* Denotes magic item (see below)

MAGIC ITEMS

NON-ATTUNED

none

ATTUNED (0/3)

none

APPEARANCE

Age 39 | Height 5' 10" | Weight 170 lbs. | Hair Brown| Eyes Light green | Complexion Dark olive skinned

With his thin black hair, receding hairline, square shaped face, and flat nose, no one would ever accuse Davos of being handsome. 

A curious affair, given that he seems to be born of Restov blood, and his mixed Aztanti and Keleshite heritage should have produced something much more pleasing to the eye. His tan skin and green eyes should be exquisite, mesmerizing even.  Yet like so many of his particular Noble House, there is something rotten within him, something that spoils his fair looks and instead fills any space he occupies with an uneasy aura. The truth of it is that he is, like the rest of his family, not Taldan of all. He is instead a Pureblood of the Yuan-Ti, his House a strain of that twisted line sent long ago to establish a foothold within the high society of Restov.

He is of middling height, albeit a rather thin build, though there no shortage of muscles on his ripcord lean body. He favors the latest Taldan fashions, but the road does not allow for the fine cloth to which he is generally accustomed. He has taken to "roughing it" in a simple grey wool tunic, canvas breeches, and black vest, all worn over his dueling leathers. His pride and joy are of course the match pair of Dueling Swords clearly visible at his hips. When he can get away with it, he prefers to lose the tunic and instead go bare chested. Northern climes do little to warm his cold blood, however, and he frequently needs to bundle up. His clothes are shockingly clean, considering the extent of his travels, a result of some of the limited magical knack he has picked up along the way.

His most distinguishing features are the three bright red scars across his throat, souvenirs of an assassin's garrote that he only just managed to limp away from during his twenties. 

Personality

Despite his looks, Davos rarely makes any attempt to obscure his features behind hoods or cowls. Like all of the upper classes of Restov, he is proud of his appearance, even if the reality of his face does little to conform to the more traditional standards of high society. A lifetime of bitter scorn and constant mockery from his peers has done little to dampen his spirit, for as a duelist, the only who dared to utter such slights were usually provably his betters. Thus, he braves insults from his superiors with easy familiarity, and can even laugh in appreciation of a particularly clever jest. From those he perceives as inferior? Well, then it is time to throw down the gauntlet

He is, above all, dedicated to protecting his family. It is the reason he is slumming it in the Stolen Lands at all, rather than comfortably living in luxury within his family's estate in Restov. While many outside of Restov would struggle to understand that he even has a moral code, those of his birth city would see him as an honorable man with his priorities straight. The House is the only thing that matters, and Davos holds no grudges for his self-imposed exile. It has not even dulled the fire of his ambition, for the Stolen Lands provides an outstanding opportunity for him to prove his worth. He means to make the most of it, to return some day to the city of his birth with enough wealth and glory that the not even the Swordlords could stomach maintaining his exile. 

BACKGROUND

SWORD SCION
Source Kingmaker

• Personality Traits: I am accustomed to enjoying the finest pleasures money can buy.  I love a good insult, even one directed at me. My honor is more important to me than my life. 
  • Ideals: Prestige. I want to be admired, respected, feared, or even hated for my position.  I treat my weapons, uniform, and insignia with reverence, for they are gifts of the angels.
  • Bonds: I want to prove myself more worthy of Baron Sirian Aldori's legacy than my older sisterand thereby ensure that I inherit a greater share of my parents’ wealth.
  • Flaws: I hold a scandalous secret that could ruin my family forever, which is why I'm banished out to this dump.

Background Feature: Aldari Dueling Blades

BACKSTORY

Davos was born to the House of Kir, a family of spice merchants who gained enough wealth to purchase themselves a minor title within Restov nearly 43 nears ago. Although relatively new money in the grand scheme of things, two decades is enough time for most of the stink of "new money" to wear off, and the House of Kir are generally tolerated within high society as full members of the landed gentry. The fact that they can directly trace their lineage to the great grandfather of one of the seated Swordlords certainly helps.

It is a lie, of course. 

The blood of Kir are indeed distant relatives of a Taldan noble line, but they are also a Clan of Yuan-Ti Purebloods who infiltrated the city long ago. The Yuant-Ti's work as spice merchants put the founders of the House in contact with the long fallen from grace House of Kir. They did not even need to assassinate the Nobles to assume their position, for with their family fortunes nearly spent, the Lord of the House of Kir was only too happy to accept the offer of betrothal from the wealthy merchant Clan. Thus, the House was infiltrated not through death and impersonation, but through marriage and the birth of children.

Davos is thus of the first generation of Purebloods, born the second child to a Duke of the House. His father passed of natural causes shortly after his birth, leading to his mother assuming control of the House. The fact that it was natural causes might have been a matter of some surprise, save that. the Duke had years before been brought into his wife's secrets, and had accepted things as she presented them. Thus, Davos grew up among his own household not needing to hide what he was. Outside the walls, it was the House's most important secret, but inside he was free to be his true self. It is perhaps odd that his family were no dedicated to Norgorber or Lamashtu, but instead to a powerful artifact once wielded by Nethys. The dagger, known as Sightbinder.

As an adolescent, Davos was sent to the Aldori Academy, as it was expected that his elder sister would inherit the leadership House. Despite the ambitious nature of his blood, he did not begrudge her this, for he'd realized early that she was vastly more clever than he. He was thus content to be her right hand, the blade who watched over her back. It helped that his training was supplemented with fell Yuan-Ti magics, through pact and pledge tying his soul to Sightbinder, making him faster and more dangerous with the Aldori Dueling Sword than he might ever have been on his own merit. His odd style irritated his instructors, but they could not argue with the results, as he bested several of his peers in practice duel who they would have sworn would have been more than his match. He made no small share of rivals and enemies there, widely regarded as an outsider for his unorthodox fighting style and his less than pleasant features. He didn't care. He yearned to bring glory to his House, and learned to challenge the insults and taunts from his inferiors, and grin and smile at the same from those more than skilled enough to keep him in his place. 

Upon graduating, he took what he saw as his rightful place at his sister's side, serving as her stone faced bodyguard as she learned the courtier's trade within the Courts of the Swordlords of Restov. He served well, and though the times when he had cause to draw his blade were rare, they were not nonexistent. He fought off two assassination attempts from rival houses, with the second nearly claiming his own life. Instead, he managed to walk away, through with three bright marks from an assassin's garrote permanently scaring his throat as a trophy. The attempts were a sign of their House's success, jealous rivals aware of their rise to prestige and trying to thwart it.

However, eventually the House of Aaruni did find a way to stop House Kir's ascension, with one of their own Duelists breaking into the manor when the majority of the House was attending a ball and uncovering evidence of their deepest, darkest secret. Davos was sent to trim the leak, and trim he did, challenging the offending duelist of House Aaruni, and then stabbing him through the throat once the duel commenced. As it had merely been a duel to first blood, the Swordlords did not approve, and when the offended House claimed wereguilt he was exiled from the city for a period of not less than fifteen years for his offense. He had expected the punishment, and felt it a price well worth paying, he would have done much more than that to preserve and protect the honor of his House, his mother, and his most especially his elder sister. 

Yet there was a problem. His time at his sister's right hand had rarely required he draw his blade, and thus Davos knew his skills were not sharp enough earn him a legend comparable to that of Baron Sirian Aldori. In the Stolen Lands though, he realized a realm that could provide him all the training he needed. He found a caravan heading North, and signed up as a simple mercenary guard. The first step on a long journey, the first dance of a thousand. When his long exile ends, he intends to return to the city of his birth as a living incarnation of the great Baron, honed by a hundred campaigns of conquest and adventure in the wilds of the Stolen Lands. 

I left him alone for a few days because I almost always fidget and tinker, but I think at this point I have the build I want and am ready to be marked as finalized. 

I'll fidget with the portrait a bit more (I have a Portrait Generator so that I can make my own custom artwork), but I'm ready for review and feedback @bwatfordespecially when it comes to backstory! That's the best bit.

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

Interesting fact that three of the first four applications are Barbarians and rangers.  Going to be some stiff competition in this recruitment.

Looking over (at a glance) the application, will definitely dive deeper into these as time permits and the deadline draws closer.

Application looks solid, the Tiger Lord connection seems to be a popular one, might have to weave them into the story a little more if we get a player with high investment in that area. Definitely like the main picture for this character, and with dragonborn a rarity in Golarion it makes for good RP opportunity, especially a gem colored one.

The appearance and personality sections are great, might work on the backstory a little to help it flow a little better but other than that a solid application.

Good luck in final selection.

1 hour ago, bwatford said:

Going to be some stiff competition in this recruitment.

Uhoh!

Should I resubmit a Warlock considering the cryptid barbarian is so interesting?  

Ha! We certainly have enough time.

This has been a fun exercise, no matter what happens. Glad to be participating. 

Just now, TheRaconteur said:

Uhoh!

Should I resubmit a Warlock considering the cryptid barbarian is so interesting?  

Ha! We certainly have enough time.

This has been a fun exercise, no matter what happens. Glad to be participating. 

You only can submit a single character so up to you.  i suspect there will be competition no matter how you go. Kingmaker is a popular AP and my games get a lot of attention as well. The key thing is submitting a character that you want to play. You never know if they will make it or not until you try.  lol

@bwatford

Okay!  This is an application that I am way, way happier with. Feedback is always super appreciated. Wanted to make an Aldori Duelist, but using sorcery as much as the sword, so I've made this weird little hybrid Warlock/Bladesinger thing. I couldn't stand making a low Charisma character, so this is more my style. 

If it's to your tastes and I get in, awesome. If not, I'm just happy to have him written out, and please do consider me as backup should you face player attrition. 

(thanks for putting up with me waffling as well, and trashing my barbarian).

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Davos Kir - Yuan-Ti Warlockspacer.png

AC: 14 | HP: 9/9 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 09

Post goes here.

"Speech"

thoughts in italics

(Picture should link to your character thread or character sheet, whichever you are keeping updated.)

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.