Noriko’s Sidebar — Sister to Sister

iantruesilver

spacer.pngNoriko rides along with Sandru, occasionally looking him over, admiring his form as a rider... and other things.  "Sandru... there is something that I haven't told to anyone, except Ameiko.  But it is perhaps something you should know about.  You're aware of the divine powers that came to me as an oracle... but there is a downside to this.  Since the night my powers awakened... the night my mother died, I find myself able to perceive the dead.  Not undead things, mind you, but unquiet spirits... they trouble me when they can... sometimes they can actually get past their grief and pain and help me as well.  When there are a lot of them around... they can draw on me to affect the world in limited ways.  This is why I never visit the graveyard since my mother was interred.  It's... just something you should know about me."

“Oh?” As they rode down River at a light trot, Sandru scootched up forward a little, wrapping his arms around Noriko’s midriff. Yet somehow, whatever girly and romantic talk he might’ve been expecting, this wasn’t it. Still, he listened carefully and only spoke when it was warranted, “Yeah, Koya had said something about that some time back out of the blue, I didn’t quite really understand.”

“Sounds like a raw deal if you ask me, but hey I’m not living with it I suppose.” The talk continued as they turned on Market, out South Gate and across Sandpoint Bridge. Soon enough you find yourselves at a gallop through the thicket down Lost Coast Road.

“Wait, what? As in like, you see dead people?”

“When was the last time you sat down with vovó Niska*Vovó: An endearment form of Avozinha, the Varisian word for “grandmother”.

In this, Sandru is referring to Madame Niska Mvashti, his adopted grandmother. Madame Mvashti is the oldest person in Sandpoint, however while nobody truly knows how old she is exactly, the fact that her daughter Koya is already an old woman is a testament to her age.
?”
Sandru nuzzled up a little bit more, taking a deep inhale of Noriko’s scent as they rode at a light relaxed gallop, being careful not to lose the two other horses they’re leading at their side.

“I think you and her would really get along well.” As he says that, there’s something of a remnant of a battlescene coming up around the corner, and he slows the horses in his approach. Beyond what looks to be several bodies strewn in plain sight along the side of the road, it also appears that there is a fallen tree trunk blocking the road ahead.

Straightening up, Sandru is immediately alert as he scans around for anything that could potentially endanger his charge. “Heads up.”

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

spacer.pngNoriko rises in the saddle, grasping her star knife.  "I can see the dead, all young orcs, recently killed."  The Oracle looks closer at the scene.  "Do you think they were killed by the others on this mission... it looks like they might have tried an ambush."

"That's possible…" Sandru said as they slowly rode past the bodies on their way down the road. "I'm not sticking around to find out."

Winding carefully around the foliage of the fallen tree and the other underbrush between the forestry, Sandru picked up the speed as soon as they were back on the road once more, "Kyah!"

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

spacer.pngNoriko nods, "If it was them, it means that perhaps we are very close to catching up with them... Should we part soon, I promise to protect myself, I will assume you will do the same.  If you die on me, don't think you'll get away.  So just stay alive and I'll find you again."

"You know I'd love to," Sandru admitted, then let out a short laugh before explaining the rest, "But I have a caravan to run, and I'm shortstaffed enough as it is, what with you taking Darhana and Neskas from me."

Whether it because they were riding on a horse, or if it some other reason they could never tell, but the ride out of the thicket seemed a lot shorter than it really was any other time. By now, the two were following the winding road along the edges of some jagged hills headed southwest.

spacer.pngNoriko looks at Sandru carefully, "Explain to me how you will run your business and avoid getting in trouble with my sister.  Do it in sufficient detail that I know it's a real plan, or I'm afraid I can't let you leave."

Sandru furrows his brow as he sniffs one of those questions that has no sufficiently good answers, the corner of his lip crooking up on one side. "Listen. I'm gonna go back and mind my own damn business like a normal person with a normal caravan, sell my wares, tend to my horses, and if your sister comes over and wants to talk, I'll slam my caravan door in her face, okay?"

The last part was dripping with copious sarcasm, and sounded like it.

Sandru held his laughter in for a moment, but then just bursts out with the big bellowing load of it, which almost brings him to tears, and he needed to compose himself afterwards. But still he jests, "I mean, either I go tell her her baby sister's safe and sound, or she's gonna come knocking. Either way I'm a dead man, right?"

spacer.pngNoriko pauses, "That's how you live your life, day to day, not planning more than you have to... okay.  I hope it goes better than you think."  The young girl leans in to kiss you, "Be yourself... I suppose it's the only plan that has a chance."