General OOC

Niven81

Another comment got hidden for having a link in it, but yeah, think I'll try to throw in a sheet for this too, never played Sword World before, would love to try it in English! I'm perusing the fan wiki translation as well, it is slow, if it 502s just come back in a couple minutes - if it at least loads, give it a while, it will. Maybe the host it's on isn't of the best quality, it is a fan project

Hi, unfortunately the links to the wiki and the files got removed due to copyright issues.  Unfortunately I am unable to resubmit them for the same reason.

If you need any help with character creation go ahead and ask me or go to the Sword World subreddit (can't link) where there are a ton of helpful people.

7 minutes ago, hakootoko said:

You could make a Discord and have us discuss the game there. It would get around the link problem.

That is a fair point, let me look into it first though to make sure indirect links don't cause the issue.

Just remember it's mostly examples.  So if you feel good with a section you can move past the examples.  As a YouTuber said SwordWorld is like a big fluffy dog that just wants to (over enthusiastically) help.

Yeah, hopefully that fits the bill! Decided on a couple concepts that looks interesting and tried to sew them into a character sheet according to SW rules.

Might make a cheatsheet if there isn't one out there, but here's some stuff I had to find out that wasn't immediately obvious (correct me if I'm wrong:)

• Your Background is just a cosmetic "prerequisite" to your character's first class. Depending on your racial background table, you'll have a different set of starter classes to choose from that come with backgrounds (which may or may not be the same for each race - e.g Grassrunner & Runefolk Bards are Hobbyists, but Humans, Elven, Dwarven & Tabbit Bards are Minstrels.) (Others can still take Bard later, but it would not have been part of their initial background.

• Major Classes are the main combat-oriented feature classes, while Minor Classes provide you with non-combat features and/or mechanical improvements.

• Skill checks are 2d6 + appropriate ability modifier (or sometimes your AL,) then "proficiency" means you get to add the relevant class level to it as well. What classes are proficient in what rolls are all available in the Skills list of your SRD, e.g Sages are proficient in Monster Knowledge checks.

• Might have just missed this somewhere, but unlocking a level in a spellcaster (Wizard) class gives you the knowledge (and the ability to always have ready to spend MP on) of all spells in the school of magic for that class (e.g Sorcerer 2 would give you all Truespeech 1 & 2 spells.)

• Attack rolls are handled as follows: 1. To Hit is an Accuracy skill check vs Evasion (Magic spells or 0 Evasion always hits,) 2. Damage roll compares 2d6 to a damage table for your spell/weapon (sometimes they may refer to a Power XX table, which are generic tables that can be found on your sheet.) 3. Add any Extra Damage / Magic Power, compare your damage result vs Defense - if you have more, you deal the difference, if you have less, you don't do any damage.

• Every weapon has a Crit Rate (or "C value") (spells have C 10 unless stated). If your 2d6 is greater than or equal to the Crit Rate, you get to make an additional attack roll and add the power table result (crits can explode into more crits.)

• Any "overkill" is applied as a penalty to the Death Save the affected creature makes on the spot. If they fail, they die.
      • The DC (or Target Number, TN) is 0. If you succeed, you stay unconscious. Double 6s wake you at 1HP, double 1s kill you regardless of TN.
Edited by m3owdy (see edit history)

13 hours ago, basshero said:

Found a useful youtube video walking me through the character creation process for sword world and thought I could share it with you. Hopefully it makes it easier for those who are on the fence to try the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBCwcIYcfzg

Just remember we're playing 2.0 not 2.5 son there will be some differences.  Still a very informative video. Thank you for sharing!

Looks like we have 3 sheets up. I'll read over them and get back to everyone by Thursday.  I'm going to keep the original start time table even though it seems we're at who we are at because I planned to start after my kids finish spring break.

Looks like I blew by the Thursday deadline I set for myself. Apologies for that, work went to hell in a handbasket and a kid got sick so I ended up putting nearly everything on hold.  We have another player to submit a sheet.  I plan on looking over everything tomorrow and will get back to everyone in their upload threads.