Languages common, elvish, aquan, triton, orc, +1

ABILITIES & SKILLS
Proficiency Bonus: +2

Strength 11 (+0)
Save +0 
Athletics +1*

Dexterity 16 (+3) 
Save +5 
Acrobatics +4* | Sleight of Hand +4* | Stealth +4* (advantage to hide with cloak)

Constitution 12 (+1)
Save +1 

Intelligence 16 (+3)
Save +3 
Arcana +4* | History +5 | Investigation +4* | Nature +5 | Religion +4*

Wisdom 16 (+3)
Save +3 
Animal Handling +4* | Insight +5 | Medicine +4* | Perception +4* | Survival +5

Charisma 18 (+4) 
Save +6
Deception +5* | Intimidation +5*| Performance +8 (E)Persuasion +8 (E)

* Includes +1 from Jack of all Trades / (E) denotes expertise. / Bold denotes proficiency.

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES

• Tools Disguise Kit 
  • Instruments Violin, Harp, Panpipes
  • Weapons Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
  • Armors Light

BARD CLASS ABILITIES

Bardic Inspiration (d6, 4/day), Jack of All Trades, Song of Rest (d6), Expertise (P & P)
Proficiencies: Nature, Insight, Persuasion

College of Tragedy:Poetry in MiseryWhen you join the College of Tragedy at 3rd level, you learn to harness the beauty in failure, finding inspiration in even the direst twists of fate. Whenever you or an ally within 30 feet of you rolls a 1 on the d20 for an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can use your reaction to soliloquize and regain one expended use of your Bardic Inspiration feature., Sorrowful FateStarting at 3rd level, you exploit a foe’s peril to instill deep feelings of sorrow and doom. When you or an ally you can see forces a creature to make a saving throw, you can expend one use of your Bardic Inspiration to change the type of saving throw to a Charisma save instead.

If the target fails this save, roll a Bardic Inspiration die. The target takes psychic damage equal to the result, and is plagued with regret for 1 minute. If the target is reduced to 0 hit points during this time and can speak, they are magically compelled to utter darkly poetic final words before succumbing to their injuries.
 (1/short or long rest)

RACIAL TRAITS (Human Variant)
+1 Cha, +1 Wis, Languages: Common and Elvish, Skill: Performance, Feat: See below

FEATS
Linguist +1 Int and 3 languages: Triton, Orc, + 1 learned in game

SUPERNATURAL GIFT
Iconoclast (Protection from Good and Evil, 1/long rest, without material component)

WEAPONS
  • Dagger: +3 / 1d4+3, light, thrown (range 20/60)
  • Shortbow: +3 / 1d6+3, ammunition (range 80/320), two-handed 

SPELLS

SPELL SLOTS 4/4 (1st), 2/2 (2nd), arcane focus: violin

• Bard - Spell Save DC: 16 | Spell Attack Mod: +6 | Spells Known: 6 

CANTRIPS (Bard)

Prestidigitation, Vicious MockeryCasting Time:1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components:V
Duration:Instantaneous

You unleash a string of insults laced with subtle enchantments at a creature you can see within range.

If the target can hear you (though it need not understand you), it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.

This spell’s damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 5th level (2d4), 11th level (3d4), and 17th level (4d4).

FIRST LEVEL (Bard)

Dissonant WhispersCasting Time: 1 action
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous

You whisper a discordant melody that only one creature of your choice within range can hear, wracking it with terrible pain. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 3d6 psychic damage and must immediately use its reaction, if available, to move as far as its speed allows away from you. The creature doesn’t move into obviously dangerous ground, such as a fire or a pit. On a successful save, the target takes half as much damage and doesn’t have to move away. A deafened creature automatically succeeds on the save.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.
Healing WordCasting Time:1 bonus action
Range:60 feet
Components:V
Duration:Instantaneous

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.
(B), HeroismCasting Time:1 action
Range:Touch
Components:V, S
Duration:Concentration, up to 1 minute

A willing creature you touch is imbued with bravery. Until the spell ends, the creature is immune to being frightened and gains temporary hit points equal to your spellcasting ability modifier at the start of each of its turns. When the spell ends, the target loses any remaining temporary hit points from this spell.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st.
(C), Silvery BarbsCasting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when a creature you can see within 60 feet of yourself succeeds on an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous

You magically distract the triggering creature and turn its momentary uncertainty into encouragement for another creature. The triggering creature must reroll the d20 and use the lower roll.

You can then choose a different creature you can see within range (you can choose yourself). The chosen creature has advantage on the next attack roll, ability check, or saving throw it makes within 1 minute. A creature can be empowered by only one use of this spell at a time.
(R)

SECOND LEVEL (Bard)

Crown of MadnessCasting time: 1 Action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

One humanoid of your choice that you can see within range must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become charmed by you for the duration.
While the target is charmed in this way, a twisted crown of jagged iron appears on its head, and a madness glows in its eyes.

The charmed target must use its action before moving on each of its turns to make a melee attack against a creature other than itself that you mentally choose. The target can act normally on its turn if you choose no creature or if none are within its reach.

On your subsequent turns, you must use your action to maintain control over the target, or the spell ends. Also, the target can make a Wisdom saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a success, the spell ends.
(C), Enhance AbilityCasting Time:1 action
Range:Touch
Components:V, S, M (fur or a feather from a beast)
Duration:Concentration, up to 1 hour.

You touch a creature and bestow upon it a magical enhancement. Choose one of the following effects; the target gains that effect until the spell ends.

Bear’s Endurance: The target has advantage on Constitution checks. It also gains 2d6 temporary hit points, which are lost when the spell ends.

Bull’s Strength: The target has advantage on Strength checks, and his or her carrying capacity doubles.

Cat’s Grace: The target has advantage on Dexterity checks. It also doesn’t take damage from falling 20 feet or less if it isn’t incapacitated.

Eagle’s Splendor: The target has advantage on Charisma checks.

Fox’s Cunning: The target has advantage on Intelligence checks.

Owl’s Wisdom: The target has advantage on Wisdom checks.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 2nd.
(C)

(C) Denotes concentration. / (R) Denotes reaction spell. / (B) Denotes bonus action spell.

EQUIPMENT & ENCUMBERANCE

TOTAL ENCUMBERANCE (61 lbs)

• Weight: 61 lbs. / 165 lbs. max. (15 x STR Score)
  • Penalty: None

MONEY POUCH (~2 lbs)

Copper: 10 | Silver: 84 | Gold: 5  | Obsidian: 0 | Platinum: 0

(99 Coins x .02 lbs. = 1.98 lbs. Total Weight)

EQUIPEMENT READIED (5 lbs)

Equipped items can be retrieved with a manipulate item interaction.

• Armor (4 lbs) 
    • traveller's clothes (4lbs, 2sp)
  • Weapons (1 lb)  
    • dagger (1lb, 2sp)
  • Readied Items (0 lbs) 

EQUIPMENT STORED (57 lbs)

Stored items can be retrieved with an action.

• In Backpack (50 lbs) 
    • explorer's pack (minus the rope, it is 49lbs, 9sp)
      • bedroll
      • messkit
      • waterskin
      • 10 days rations
      • 10 torches
    • extras
      • trinket (woven bracelet from Liadon, the last day)
      • mask (for busking) 1lbs
      • scroll tube with map
      • piece of chalk
  • Strapped to Backpack (4 lbs) 
    • violin (1lb, 30sp)
    • shortbow (2lbs, 25sp)
      • 20 arrows (1lb, 1sp) 

EQUIPMENT NOT CARRIED (--)

• At Home 
    • n/a

* Denotes magic item (see below)

MAGIC ITEMS

NON-ATTUNED
spellwrought tattoo - unknown, back of neck below collar

ATTUNED (1/3)
cloak of elvenkind

APPEARANCE

Age 21 | Height 5' 5" | Weight 125 lbs. | Hair Reddish Brown | Eyes Hazel / Green | Complexion Fair & Freckled

Diana is pretty without trying to be. And, she doesn't try.

Her features whisper of elvish ancestors, but she has the loosely curling brown hair and freckles of her human mother. Dae's eyes are her most striking feature. Often hazel, but sometimes green, depending on the light. The intensity of her gaze can make you think you are the only person in the world. 

BACKGROUND

Fisher (Prof: History, Survival, Language: Aquan) Note: in place of fishing gear... taking entertainer's costume, ok?

• Personality Traits: I value strong work ethics. Nothing comes for free - either in musical performance or mastering the sea.
  • Ideals: Good companions make even the longest darkest passage bearable.
  • Bonds: While I fled the Nemca to become a musician, my respect for my family's occupation and choice of lifestyle has grown. 
  • Flaws: I am fearful of long voyages on the water, tending to feel trapped and claustrophobic.

Background Feature: Harvest the WaterYou gain advantage on ability checks made using fishing tackle. If you have access to a body of water that sustains marine life, you can maintain a moderate lifestyle while working as a fisher, and you can catch enough food to feed yourself and up to ten other people each day. and Fishing TaleYou can tell a compelling tale, whether tall or true, to impress and entertain others. Once a day, you can tell your story to willing listeners. At the DM's discretion, a number of those listeners become friendly toward you; this is not a magical effect, and continued amicability on their part depends on your actions.

BACKSTORY

• Diana was born in Nemca to a fishing family, human, but with some elvish ancestory on her father's side.
  • She found the simple life boring and became enamoured with the "fabulous" lifestyle of her half-elven grandfather, Liadon, who would breeze in and out of their home 2 or 3 times a year, always regaling her and her elder sister, Clarice, with his bard's "life-on-the-road" tales. He was a celebrity of some reknown and often brought them trinkets from afar.
  • Eventually, after much pestering, Liadon began teaching Diana. She was gifted and learned quickly. Her enthusiam for music and bard-ship grew with every passing month. Liadon began to call her "Dae", elvish for shadow, because she was always following him around when he visited.
  • When Diana was 12, Liadon began taking her on summer tours with him. How could he say no when she looked at him with those big green pleading eyes?
  • At 15, Liadon took Diana to Ivory. It was to be Diana's biggest "gigs" ever and she was so excited. She is now haunted that she forgot to say goodbye to her father. Maybe if she'd said goodbye, it wouldn't have happened...?
  • It was at "The Elk and Hammer" in Ivory where Liadon caught the eye of Samanthios, a triton of ambiguous gender and a penchant for music. This triton was also, unfortunately, a smuggler who specialized in the location and transport of "high-class" slaves. You need a chef? A cleric? A scupltor? You ask Samanthios.
  • When Liadon was taken in the night, Diana was too, as collateral. If Samanthios wanted Liadon to play a certain song or wear a certain costume, all they had to do was threaten Diana. Liadon would do anything to keep her safe. 
  • 3 years. They were kept on that ship for 3 years. Most often they were separated, but at times they were allowed to play together. It was still sweet.
  • However, Liadon's music began to falter and through that, and the whispers between songs,  Diana found out he was ill. 
  • Blisters. Painful oozing. Drake blight. Liadon was dying. He had fought so long to keep his little "Dae" safe, he was desperate to give her a chance for a life off that ship.
  • Diana is not sure how (although she suspects he may have had inside help) but he managed to start and maintain a fire in a hold that garnered enough attention at the right moment to allow her to get away. She slipped into the water. It was dark, cold, and the lights on land seemed impossibly far away. 
  • Still, she reached the shore (near Skiero) and there, she cried all her tears. She cried for her grandfather who died (she presumed) in flame, before the melting disease would have taken him with the same pain. She cried for the naive little girl she had been when she'd first been brought onto the ship. She cried for her parents and sister, that she didn't think could ever face. And in the end, she cried for the gods who never helped.
  • And then, she stopped crying. She hasn't cried since. 

MORE RECENTLY...
Diana is now 20 and known, both professionally and personally, as "Dae". After begging and scraping her way inland to Anthropoi, she's been performing again, mostly on the street. She's been living in a dirty boarding house, small and squalid. When performing, she often wears a mask which goes across her eyes and over her ears, giving them a suggestion of elven form. Further, if she can, she includes a song of her crafting about "The Elf Who Burns". Most take it as ode to Drake Blight, but it has a two meanings for Dae.

If it wasn't for the nightmare, she might still be in Anthropoi... living low and caught between punishing herself for surviving and trying to honour Liadon, to somehow make it all worthwhile.

The nightmare has forced her to reconcile her thoughts and deeds and to drag herself west toward Baromenes. She hates it for the hope that it gives her, that she still might have a purpose and do something "right".
Edited by ariel (see edit history)

A post for rolls... historically, these don't go well for me... I feel point-buy coming already. Edit: Oh, um... wow.

Name
abilities
repeat(drop(reroll(4d6,1,below),lowest),6) 6,5,1,4,1,3,2,4,1,4,1,3,1,6,6,1,2,5,6,5,1,1,4,4,1,5,1,4,3,3,1,5,2,6,5

@TheWordWeaver Sorry, I edited again and now the content is hidden. I expect it's the links? I will take them out so it doesn't happen again.

In other news, I think she's more or less done. She's kind of a subtle character as I was thinking of trying a more or less regular person (although very skilled and with strong world views) tossed into unusual circumstances. But, I could add some hooks if you think that'd be better? Just let me know if there's anything that needs correction or fleshing out too?

For magical stuff, I did give her a bag of holding + healing potion... so that will change her encumbrance if approved. 

On 3/6/2023 at 8:21 PM, ariel said:

@TheWordWeaver Sorry, I edited again and now the content is hidden. I expect it's the links? I will take them out so it doesn't happen again.

In other news, I think she's more or less done. She's kind of a subtle character as I was thinking of trying a more or less regular person (although very skilled and with strong world views) tossed into unusual circumstances. But, I could add some hooks if you think that'd be better? Just let me know if there's anything that needs correction or fleshing out too?

For magical stuff, I did give her a bag of holding + healing potion... so that will change her encumbrance if approved. 

Hey there!

Unfortunately, I am restricting the Bag of Holding. With chances for pcs to receive it or something similar in the future. As for the app, everything seems to be in good order! I will mark Dae as completed and let you choose another item in the meantime!

Hi! @TheWordWeaver

I know it's late in the process and you've already marked her complete, but I would like to try to rethink Dae's backstory (... if I have time and it's ok with you)? There is a kernal of something I like in Dae but in some ways she's just "emo"... boring and unmotivated. So, I thought I might toss up some new thoughts in point-form as I may have questions?

P.S. If it's too late to change, I understand! I don't want to put work on you... 😄 I will withdraw and try again another time! 

Edit: Just commenting this out for clarity - I think it's mostly been added above, but if there are differences... let's go with what is above.

Much of the mechanics would stay the same (except for her feat, some skills, magic items, etc). But... her story would be along the lines of:

• Born in Nemca to a simple fishing family, human, but with some elvish ancestory on her father's side
  • Her half-elven grandfather was a travelling bard who drifted in and out of town, always full of grand stories. Young Diana wanted to be just like him and escape the perceived doldrums of Nemca. After much pestering, he began teaching her. She showed promise, a prodigy of sorts, and he started calling her Dae as she became his "little shadow" always following him around when he was home, trying to be just like him.
  • After a few years of regular visits, he eventually took Diana (then age 12) to play with him on a regular tours of nearby cities and states where he had a minor level of fame. 
  • When Diana was 15, Liadon took her to Ivory where the half-elf had the unfortunate luck of catching the eye of Samanthios... a triton pirate lord with a penchant for music.
  • Taken in the night, they were brought to the pirate's main ship and spent 3 years aboard it... just surviving. And to survive, they played... at every whim of the Samanthios. Whenever Liadon tried to defy an order... Diana was threatened and/or beaten and so... he stopped trying. 
  • When Diane was 18, Liadon started suffering from painful blisters. His father was from Ansu and he had seen him die. As a half-elf, he hadn't been sure the disease would affect him, but there he was... with a limited time to live.
  • Somehow, Liadon convinced his granddaughter to let him sacrifice himself to save her. At the right moment, he was able to create and defend a large enough fire in one of the holds of the ship to allow her to slip away into the water and get to shore. So, he did burn to death (she presumes) before the melting sickness brought him to the same end. 

It was when she reached shore and drifted, performing, masked, under the pseudonym of Dae. She has tremendous surivor's guilt and feels the fiery dream is a punishment from the gods. This punishment only steels her iconoclastic views which believe no reasonable god would punish her and her grandfather for the music they made, nor the entire elven population of Ansu for just existing.

I will flesh things out as I have time in the next few days, but I thought I should verify whether half-elves can get Drake Blight?

Fears:

• That Samanthios would find her again and/or associate her family to Liadon or her and punish them
  • That she would be enslaved again

Wants:

• To continue making music, to honour her grandfather
  • To make something her life and make his sacrifice somehow worth it... she will take risks to help someone else
  • To feel safe again

Dreams:

• To end slavery
  • To find a cure for the Drake Blight

45 minutes ago, ariel said:

Hi! @TheWordWeaver

I know it's late in the process and you've already marked her complete, but I would like to try to rethink Dae's backstory (... if I have time and it's ok with you)? There is a kernal of something I like in Dae but in some ways she's just "emo"... boring and unmotivated. So, I thought I might toss up some new thoughts in point-form as I may have questions?

P.S. If it's too late to change, I understand! I don't want to put work on you... 😄 I will withdraw and try again another time! 

Much of the mechanics would stay the same (except for her feat, some skills, magic items, etc). But... her story would be along the lines of:

• Born in Nemca to a simple fishing family, human, but with some elvish ancestory on her father's side
  • Her half-elven grandfather was a travelling bard who drifted in and out of town, always full of grand stories. Young Diana wanted to be just like him and escape the perceived doldrums of Nemca. After much pestering, he began teaching her. She showed promise, a prodigy of sorts, and he started calling her Dae as she became his "little shadow" always following him around when he was home, trying to be just like him.
  • After a few years of regular visits, he eventually took Diana (then age 12) to play with him on a regular tours of nearby cities and states where he had a minor level of fame. 
  • When Diana was 15, Liadon took her to Ivory where the half-elf had the unfortunate luck of catching the eye of Samanthios... a triton pirate lord with a penchant for music.
  • Taken in the night, they were brought to the pirate's main ship and spent 3 years aboard it... just surviving. And to survive, they played... at every whim of the Samanthios. Whenever Liadon tried to defy an order... Diana was threatened and/or beaten and so... he stopped trying. 
  • When Diane was 18, Liadon started suffering from painful blisters. His father was from Ansu and he had seen him die. As a half-elf, he hadn't been sure the disease would affect him, but there he was... with a limited time to live.
  • Somehow, Liadon convinced his granddaughter to let him sacrifice himself to save her. At the right moment, he was able to create and defend a large enough fire in one of the holds of the ship to allow her to slip away into the water and get to shore. So, he did burn to death (she presumes) before the melting sickness brought him to the same end. 

It was when she reached shore and drifted, performing, masked, under the pseudonym of Dae. She has tremendous surivor's guilt and feels the fiery dream is a punishment from the gods. This punishment only steels her iconoclastic views which believe no reasonable god would punish her and her grandfather for the music they made, nor the entire elven population of Ansu for just existing.

I will flesh things out as I have time in the next few days, but I thought I should verify whether half-elves can get Drake Blight?

Fears:

• That Samanthios would find her again and/or associate her family to Liadon or her and punish them
  • That she would be enslaved again

Wants:

• To continue making music, to honour her grandfather
  • To make something her life and make his sacrifice somehow worth it... she will take risks to help someone else
  • To feel safe again

Dreams:

• To end slavery
  • To find a cure for the Drake Blight

Hey there feel free to make changes until the deadline. I want to make sure that what you guys put out is what you want to play. 

As for the changes, they look great! Something you can really sink your teeth into and tell a good story through. Any elf whether half or full with ancestry to the Shetasut elves can get Drake Blight. It is much less common in Half-elves than it is in full Shetasut Elves but not impossible. There are even people that say they have seen half-elves survive Drake Blight but no proof has even been procured to back the theory that one can survive Drake Blight once it is onset.

Hi! @TheWordWeaver Just a head's up that I did some re-writing above. I need to do a wee bit of money crunching, but I think, if anything, Dae is poorer than she should be... which makes some sense. Also, I don't think she'd have any magic items, given her background... but if chosen, I can imagine her perhaps coming across a cloak of elvenkind at some point in the game? 😄 

1 hour ago, ariel said:

Hi! @TheWordWeaver Just a head's up that I did some re-writing above. I need to do a wee bit of money crunching, but I think, if anything, Dae is poorer than she should be... which makes some sense. Also, I don't think she'd have any magic items, given her background... but if chosen, I can imagine her perhaps coming across a cloak of elvenkind at some point in the game? 😄 

Haha no worries, the items could always be something Liadon gave to her? Or something she stole off the ship or procured through her travels as payment. If you'd rather wait though that is fine as well!

Ok! I'm convinced. I've added the cloak of elvenkind. It will be something she purchased through her earnings in Anthropoi. She's nervous about travelling, particularly along the coasts and in large ports where Samanthios could turn up. So it would make sense that she scrimped and saved to buy something to help her stay hidden in Baromenes.

As for a second item, the only idea I had was to give her a kind of "Spellwrought Tattoo" that can be triggered by someone else... something Samathios had given her in the early days on the ship (after she and Liadon had tried to escape). She doesn't know what it does and has no idea how to trigger it, but... she knows it can't be good. It's not a nice magic item... but it's something... lol.

We can scrap the second item or just have it be a "Masque Charm" which gives her disguise self once a day... which follows the rationale of the cloak. 

I am happy either way! @TheWordWeaver

8 hours ago, ariel said:

Ok! I'm convinced. I've added the cloak of elvenkind. It will be something she purchased through her earnings in Anthropoi. She's nervous about travelling, particularly along the coasts and in large ports where Samanthios could turn up. So it would make sense that she scrimped and saved to buy something to help her stay hidden in Baromenes.

As for a second item, the only idea I had was to give her a kind of "Spellwrought Tattoo" that can be triggered by someone else... something Samathios had given her in the early days on the ship (after she and Liadon had tried to escape). She doesn't know what it does and has no idea how to trigger it, but... she knows it can't be good. It's not a nice magic item... but it's something... lol.

We can scrap the second item or just have it be a "Masque Charm" which gives her disguise self once a day... which follows the rationale of the cloak. 

I am happy either way! @TheWordWeaver

Haha yes! 

As for the second item, I will let you choose. I have an idea as to what the Spellwrought Tattoo Samathios would have put on you to keep you in line. If you would rather have the Masque charm, that is also fine! Just let me know 😛

Dae50cc5771344f40c0eaa9330b1b9d464b.jpg

AC: 13 | HP: 27/27 | Spells: 4/4, 2/2 | Sorrowful fate: 1/1 | Protection from good/evil 1/1 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Passive Perception: 14 | Condition: Normal

"Dae's speech." Her actions. Her thoughts. 

Jeez Louise. Ok! I will post soon!

In public news, I did make one small change in Dae since the game began and wanted to ensure was ok with you. I just moved the one skill from Deception from Persuasion. As soon as I started playing her, I really felt the former didn't work. Ok?

1 minute ago, ariel said:

Jeez Louise. Ok! I will post soon!

In public news, I did make one small change in Dae since the game began and wanted to ensure was ok with you. I just moved the one skill from Deception from Persuasion. As soon as I started playing her, I really felt the former didn't work. Ok?

Fine with me! 😄