Game chat

wrathgon

On 4/18/2024 at 11:58 AM, Sohala said:

I actually said it would miss every shot or never hit the same target twice (negating the damage due to regeneration/healing) And if we are discussing its ability to get past DR, it does have a few covered while in her hands. -As the kill count is zero, one has to figure how their character was completely ineffective, after first calculating their effectiveness.

As I said, I assume there is a number somewhere for it. The mass combat rules "exist", have fun with them. Attribute what your like for abilities/equipment/etc, makes no difference to me. Mechanics are whatever you make them. Don't know them, don't think I need to know them.

Reviewing the battle log, as suggested, I am not sure how the infected kept their full strength/bonus going into the duel engagement, after dividing their forces up. Contradictory fluff or quick short hand, just looks weird.

The army has bbf taken from static stats like leadership and training equipment then when spilt the bonuses change some are gain and lost then the combat environment is added. The bbf is same if army is whole or split.

But yes, I had/have noted the higher value, along with what appeared to be a higher number of troops. 'More stuff beats less stuff', as the old adage goes. Shame the brilliant elven force couldn't merge with the human one. We could have even more stuff then.

I think it is fact you appear to holding the infected's mechanical defense as the reason the living can't do anything/are ineffective in your covering fluff. Then I am asking "why" and giving easy to reach mechanics as counterpoints.

As stated above army has a power from constant factors regardless of size.

Musings

How the infected have remained on the island is a logical mystery in and of itself. Two primary alliances have control of the island and a third one comes in. The third faction would have had to steal their position from someone. Immediate counter attacks should have followed, either crushing the, ineffectively led, infected. Or establishing them as a very real threat. -Even if the original alliance ignored them, the opposing one should have seen it as an opportunity to take the hex.

I have a hard time seeing how they have been ignored and allowed to build up. Their existence threatens the established balance of control. And they are sitting on hexes filled with magical potential.

But this is for you to worry about and my lowly self to only prattle/chatter on about.

That happen when army was infected in secret then went "join" the other armies by the time it was found out 5 hexes had been taken. They dung in and built defense structures that would have punished any force trying to push them out. No one wanted to lose the men to push through and add to their numbers. Till now were happy to stay in their area in defense.

I just notice this now

So... assemble an army that outclasses the opposing force by ~100 points, and then any individual soldier could stand toe to toe with them. I get that such a large force, barring additional modifiers, would almost certainly win full attacks. But, as presented they could send single unit waves against multiple forces, allowing them to tire them out, without any such impact on the larger force. They would also be risking only near-zero losses.

Also, how did the walls of force block the golems' dimensional door effect? I noticed the ability and remember the walls were heralded as the key to victory.

Edited by Sohala (see edit history)

Remember our discussion about anti teleportation Spells they are a standard in the battlefield.

That's where DM judication rules come in. For a mass combat.So even if they divide armies into one man army d m wouldn't allow that sort Manipulation. And to get an army that has a 100 point difference is not going to be that easy either you got the % roll u need 200 to get auto win. Just cause bonus stops does mean dm can't assign higher ones. 1 vs 1000 guess what that +1000 they get.

I recall our discussion about how wide these battles are, as well as how the hex is planarly locked, and our point on teleportation tactics. Them being the guardians though, I assumed they would be the exception to their own defenses (as demonstrated by IC?).

I assumed nothing about my example would be easy or free of DM fiat. I am merely pointing out a clear gap in the rules. Do with it as you like.

This is the spell that most mages have up when on battlefield. It makes teleporting very dangerous and such has fallen out use. No sadly the defenders do not have a key against the planar lock, that would require something like a mythal which this city does not have and that effect has never been found or created on this planet. It is effectively an outside source not directly connected to the defenders of the city. I am unsure if this spell would work IF they could DD have to speak with the other DMs to see what their thinking on it but as i understand it anything that has no SR against golem are not immune to.

Anticipate Teleportation

(Spell Compendium, p. 13)

Abjuration
Level: Sorcerer 3, Wizard 3,
Components: V, S, AF,
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: One willing creature touched
Area: 5-ft./level radius emanation from touched creature
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The arcane words that activate this spell linger in the air for a moment. As they fade from your hearing, you become more aware of both your surroundings and the possibility of intrusion.

The subject of the spell is surrounded with an invisible aura that anticipates and delays the teleportation of any creature into the spell's area. Any teleportation spell or effect (including all spells with the teleportation descriptor) can be anticipated, making the spell's recipient instantly aware of the exact location where the teleporting creature will arrive (subject to the restrictions below), the creature's size, and how many other creatures (and their sizes) are arriving with the teleporting creature. The spell also delays the arrival of the teleporting creature by 1 round (so that it arrives on its initiative count immediately before its next turn), generally giving the recipient of the spell and anyone else made aware of the information 1 round to act or ready actions. The teleporting creature does not perceive this delay.

Since a teleporting creature doesn't necessarily arrive at the precise location it intends, the spell also functions against a creature that arrives in range even though its intended destination was elsewhere. For a creature that intends to teleport into range but inadvertently arrives outside the spell's area, the spell gives the recipient awareness that a creature has attempted to teleport into range and delays the creature as normal, but doesn't give any awareness as to the actual location of its imminent arrival.

The spell has no effect on creatures attempting to teleport away from the spell's area, although if their destination is within the area, the spell will affect their reentry as normal.

Focus: A tiny hourglass of platinum and crystal costing at least 500 gp, which must be carried or worn by the spell's recipient while the spell is in effect.

I am familiar with that spell and it's listed functions, which should include teleport-dropped golems, as nothing about their description indicates these types of spells.

If the sudden appearance of the golem in the current thread is not a demonstration of its dimension door ability, I apologize for the confusion.

Oh, they are fake golems, not actual golems. Oh man, am I glad. Felt like I was missing out due to not being high enough level to reanimate it.

Actions for the round are already taken here. As they were non-impact I saw no reason to wait, even though I had previously intended to do so.

Added OOC comments if required.

How would you like us to do the miss chance associated with Mirror Images? I'm not sure if we can roll 1d9 (8 images + 1 real) or we could do a d100 with 1-11 being a hit on the real golem. Also does activating the magical properties of the magitech require anything from techno folk or is it sufficiently blended to be roughly analogous to activating technological capabilities?

32 minutes ago, Drunva said:

How would you like us to do the miss chance associated with Mirror Images? I'm not sure if we can roll 1d9 (8 images + 1 real) or we could do a d100 with 1-11 being a hit on the real golem. Also does activating the magical properties of the magitech require anything from techno folk or is it sufficiently blended to be roughly analogous to activating technological capabilities?

so there is nothing that you have that you cant believe working like a tech item. You don't have a stick that will throw fireballs so most magi tech items will be fine as your brain just trusts it works and can be explained away as tech. Its when he does something( like throwing fireballs from a piece of wood) do you have to make checks.

So I think the best way is for you in your post to choose an image from 1 to 8 then you roll 1d8 if they match what you hit, if not remove 1 image.