New GMs Needed

Jedaii

3 hours ago, Ratwalk said:

As a Game Master more accustomed to other forms of running the game, and have tried to enter PbP, there are a lot of major challenges as the GM, especially since long time players are at a much greater skill level, and due to the 9:1 ratio of players to GMs, the likelihood of the best PbP GM is too busy being a player at the moment.

More so than that, it's a lot harder to teach PbP by the nature of the medium, and mistakes are a lot more damaging than in voice or offline avenues where we can rescind mistakes, while a mistake in a PbP can take days, and weeks to rectify. On top of this, GMs who get enjoyment from reactions and the social aspects of expressing a fun story to players miss out a lot. The player has lots of power in this exchange, since players have full right to simply leave a game, and there is no real penalty due to the nature of the game, but that etiquette can't be good for the stamina and creative flow of new GMs.

On top of this, there is a defined culture in established groups, and that is difficult to deal with from two separate directions. IRL friends and associates are going to obviously be more committed with long chains of responses, and superior writers will be faster to the draw, and the expectations are not always met.

I do deeply wish I could run a game properly, but every time I have gotten to running a game, it falls apart quickly, and because there's little feedback, I don't know how to improve in this medium.

I agree the first step into PbP GMing isn't easy - I had my issues 🙄 I did provide a number of links above that can help with the entire process of running games online. Regarding the time it takes to handle mistakes, that's just part of Play-by-Post: it's slower than tabletop gaming, but that can also be an advantage as it gives the group more time to consider In-Character posts. Once I slowed my own pace down to match the medium, running games - especially multiple games - became tremendously easier. Now if you prefer faster play or you're not a fan of the more narrative aspect of PbP gaming, it might not be for you. Everything isn't for everybody.

If PbP DOES interest you and you can adjust, I'd check out the links listed above to get a better grasp of the differences from traditional tabletop gaming. Then, when you have an adventure to run, post for player interest on this and the OGMW Planning threads. Just like finding a group IRL, it takes time to find a good collection of players that match your style: I've run multiple games for strangers IRL via Meet-Up and still had fun despite not having what I'd call an 'ideal group'. Just like most GMs I have a passion for running games and that made the necessary adjustment to online gaming worthwhile. I hated the slower pace of PbP but I got over it when I realized the pace allows me to run even more games for more players. Doing so made me not only a better writer but also a much more patient GM which IMO most players appreciate. 

Games will fall apart - just expect it. There's some players who simply want to make a character for a game they have no long-term interest in playing - and it is long-term because an adventure I could run in a four-hour session via tabletop might take six months to a year to complete on Myth-Weavers 🙃 Asking your players' opinions (about what they want from an adventure) is so crucial but even then some might leave your game because of personal reasons that have nothing to do with your GMing. Don't take it personal - just keep planning, pitching and running games.

You'll make mistakes: who doesn't? Make the correction(s) and move on.

You'll run into players that rub you the wrong way: try to find a compromise or worst-case, replace the player/group.

You'll get burned-out and want to quit: let the players know you need to end, or at least pause, the game and take a break.

Finally, you have a strong community of Gamemasters here to help you out when you hit a wall 😉

On 3/31/2023 at 6:40 PM, cailano said:

I watched that video. It's really a complaint about player expectations. I'd advise Game Masters to address those expectations by doing four things:

1. Only run episodic campaigns.
  2. Remember that your scenarios are games, not stories.
  3. Add a variety of lethal challenges (not just combat) to every scenario, and don't be afraid of PC death. It should be a fairly common occurrence.
  4. Encourage your players to think their way around many of those challenges.

I won't add detail because I don't want to hijack the thread, but that's the solution to 80% of the problems in that video. The other 20% are solved by not playing 5E.

I would add:

Cut the number of encounters. Only leave the most important encounters.  

• 2 weeks later...

Its the burnout point that's most pertinent for PbP.  The very nature of PbP means that its so easy to turn around and say "oh its only a small time commitment because everything is so slow, one more game is not going to hurt".  But it does hurt and often you don't even know it until you are too far in and then realise you've taken on far far far too much.  I think my problem is more fundamental than that.  I've attempted to ad games before but its just so overwhelming to me that I've never been able to go through with it.  I mean well and the premises are always good, its the actual delivery that is massively lacking I think.

7 hours ago, Melkar said:

Its the burnout point that's most pertinent for PbP.  The very nature of PbP means that its so easy to turn around and say "oh its only a small time commitment because everything is so slow, one more game is not going to hurt".  But it does hurt and often you don't even know it until you are too far in and then realise you've taken on far far far too much.  I think my problem is more fundamental than that.  I've attempted to ad games before but its just so overwhelming to me that I've never been able to go through with it.  I mean well and the premises are always good, its the actual delivery that is massively lacking I think.

I've burned myself enough times with that mistake that I've grown very gunshy about running two games at once. It's too bad because I always WANT to run two games at once, and I know there are enough interested players out there.

The way I see/experience it, the problem is somewhat twofold. I took a deep breath and decided that I'm willing to GM in some systems, for a few one-shots. I put up an ad for the system I wanted to run/try the most and it barely generated any interest (we have the bare minimum of three, so I'll probably able to at least start the adventure). Sure, one could say "run systems that are more interesting for people" but no, sorry, I would only GM games I want to run first and foremost, so if no one wants to play them, there won't be a new GM, where I'm concerned. Sadly, to say.

I'm not the only one, of course there's an ad I applied for, I thought I was lucky to be the first, but no, the ad had been up for a week now and I'm still the only one there. These things make GMing here very difficult in some cases.

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)

9 hours ago, eltorin said:

The way I see/experience it, the problem is somewhat twofold. I took a deep breath and decided that I'm willing to GM in some systems, for a few one-shots. I put up an ad for the system I wanted to run/try the most and it barely generated any interest (we have the bare minimum of three, so I'll probably able to at least start the adventure). Sure, one could say "run systems that are more interesting for people" but no, sorry, I would only GM games I want to run first and foremost, so if no one wants to play them, there won't be a new GM, where I'm concerned. Sadly, to say.

I'm not the only one, of course there's an ad I applied for, I thought I was lucky to be the first, but no, the ad had been up for a week now and I'm still the only one there. These things make GMing here very difficult in some cases.

It can be a challenge raising awareness for a new system you're excited about. I'm doing a similar thing with Dungeon Crawl Classics right now, although that's at least an official game you can select in Myth-Weavers.

When I look at a system to run, I try to track down all the new-player resources I can find, and I post links in the advertisement. I also try to sell the system a little bit. What's so awesome about it? Why are you excited to run it? I also try to set my player's minds at ease when it comes to learning the system. Basically, they shouldn't have to. They'll learn it during play.

The worst vice is advice, so please feel free to toss mine out the window if it doesn't work for you.

1 hour ago, cailano said:

It can be a challenge raising awareness for a new system you're excited about. I'm doing a similar thing with Dungeon Crawl Classics right now, although that's at least an official game you can select in Myth-Weavers.

When I look at a system to run, I try to track down all the new-player resources I can find, and I post links in the advertisement. I also try to sell the system a little bit. What's so awesome about it? Why are you excited to run it? I also try to set my player's minds at ease when it comes to learning the system. Basically, they shouldn't have to. They'll learn it during play.

The worst vice is advice, so please feel free to toss mine out the window if it doesn't work for you.

No, your advice is always welcome, thanks (this is not necesserily one I can apply, but it's certainly appreciated). 🙂

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)

I've been slowly considering GMing a D&D 5E game - I used to do so in the past on OGMW and enjoyed it for all of the great narrative possibilities. (I was less interested in the crunch, but that said, you did have to have a system to run in).

But between this thread, and the thread about interactions slowing down (they were already slow, I thought!) I am having second thoughts. Is there still room for a narrative-driven, writing-centric, character/plot first and dice-rolling second 5E game?

1 hour ago, Whitleyrr said:

I've been slowly considering GMing a D&D 5E game - I used to do so in the past on OGMW and enjoyed it for all of the great narrative possibilities. (I was less interested in the crunch, but that said, you did have to have a system to run in).

But between this thread, and the thread about interactions slowing down (they were already slow, I thought!) I am having second thoughts. Is there still room for a narrative-driven, writing-centric, character/plot first and dice-rolling second 5E game?

Absolutely. The game interactions haven't slowed down. If you are looking for players who post every day, specify that in your recruitment.

I've got a DCC game running right now that is flying along. We are at the end of our first module and started less than three months ago. Very fast for PbP!

4 hours ago, Whitleyrr said:

I think so, yes. I think there's many members in the community that prefer a narrative/writing-first approach, and 5e always gets lots of interest. With a well-written, visually attractive game advertisement, I think you'd receive plenty of applications. Just look around currently recruiting 5e games-there's no dearth of potential players.

4 hours ago, Whitleyrr said:

But between this thread, and the thread about interactions slowing down (they were already slow, I thought!)

I probably came off as a little... worrisome in that thread. I was mostly just wondering if the site transition had anything to do with what feels like slow movement. I'm probably the wrong person to even be asking such a question in the first place, given the games that I am interested in are very much NOT the mainstream. (Heck, I just started a game about players being different programs in a killer robot's head)

If you've been on the 'Weave for at least a few years you notice times when things are slow because of life/work. Certain industries pick up for certain seasons, or people have a break, or they have finals, or whatever.

Honestly, 5e or anything Pathfinder almost always seems to get a ton of interest. They are the "common denominator" games that basically everyone has experience with. 

37 minutes ago, Whitleyrr said:

I appreciate that clarification and encouragement. I didn’t want to put a lot of work into something if 5E was out of favor or folks were just not here to play. Thanks!

5evis very much alive and well. If you don't believe me check out the OGMW game stats page:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/eric/fish.html

The numbers are quite telling. 5e is still the most popular system on the site.

Thanks Vladim! In the advertisements sections both here and on OGMW there was only a small handful of 5E games advertised when I remember there usually being a glut of (3.5 then) back when I was originally active (ten years ago now!!). 

Fear not, though, the story has taken shape in my mind. The characters are revealing themselves. The whispers of evil haunt my dreams. A new game will be forthcoming!