The Announcements Thread

Critical Success/Failure on Saves

Some spells require your opponent to roll a save, rather than you having to roll a spell attack. In these cases, I’m house-ruling that if the save is a natural 1 on the d20, then it counts as a critical success for the spell caster. For example, if you cast the /sacred flame/ spell and the enemy creature rolls a natural 1 on its Dexterity saving throw, then you roll twice the number of damage dice as you normally would.

Conversely, if they roll a natural 20, then the spell automatically fails, and they suffer nothing—even if the spell description says they take half on a success. This won’t apply until much later in the game, when your spell DC could conceivably be high enough that even a natural 20 save wouldn’t be sufficient, but currently, this will only affect whether half-on-success spells do damage or not.

However, the converse works on you, too!

Buying and Selling

When buying and selling items, you can use an opposed Charisma (Persuasion) check to lower/raise the price (depending on whichever one you want). Most merchants are just commoners, so their Charisma (Persuasion) modifier is +0, unless I’ve already provided you with a specific statblock.

Selling Items

1.    First, convert the price of the item into copper pieces and multiply by 0.5: a longsword is 15 gp, so 1,500 cp × 0.5 = 750 cp. This is the base amount of money you would get selling the item without any haggling.
  2.    Roll a Charisma (Persuasion) check for your character. If you have spells or class abilities that might offer you bonuses or even advantage to the roll, feel free to use them. Unfortunately, I’m going to have to forbid the use of the help action on this one. It’s just cheese at that point.
  3.    Roll a Charisma (Persuasion) check for the merchant to whom you’re selling.
  4.    Subtract the higher roll from the lower roll. The difference is the number of percentage points the price is adjusted by.
  •    If the merchant rolled higher than you, subtract that number of percentage points from 100% and multiply your price from #1 by it. Example: the merchant rolled a 15 and you rolled a 10.
    • 15 – 10 = 5.
    • 100% – 5% = 95%.
    • 95% of 750 cp = 713 cp,
    • or 7 gp, 1 sp, and 3 cp.
  •    If you roll higher than the merchant, add that number of percentage points to 100% and multiply your price from #1 by it. Example: the merchant rolled a 15 and you rolled a 20.
    • 20 – 15 = 5.
    • 100% + 5% = 105%.
    • 105% of 750 cp = 788 cp,
    • or 7 gp, 8 sp, and 8 cp.

Buying Items

1.    First, convert the price of the item into copper pieces: a longsword is 15 gp, so 1,500 cp. This is the base amount of money you would spend buying the item without any haggling.
  2.    Roll a Charisma (Persuasion) check for your character. If you have spells or class abilities that might offer you bonuses or even advantage to the roll, feel free to use them. Unfortunately, I’m going to have to forbid the use of the help action on this one. It’s just cheese at that point.
  3.    Roll a Charisma (Persuasion) check for the merchant to whom you’re selling.
  4.    Subtract the higher roll from the lower roll. The difference is the number of percentage points the price is adjusted by.
  •    If the merchant rolled higher than you, add that number of percentage points to 100% and multiply the base price from #1 by it. Example: the merchant rolled a 15 and you rolled a 10.
    • 15 – 10 = 5.
    • 100% + 5% = 105%.
    • 105% of 1,500 cp = 1,575 cp,
    • or 15 gp, 7 sp, and 5 cp.
  •    If you roll higher than the merchant, subtract that number of percentage points from 100% and multiply the base price from #1 by it. Example: the merchant rolled a 15 and you rolled a 20.
    • 20 – 15 = 5.
    • 100% – 5% = 95%.
    • 95% of 1,475 cp = 14 cp,
    • or 14 gp, 7 sp, and 5 cp.

Of course, in all cases, always round down to the nearest copper piece after multiplying or dividing, but only at the very end. Any rounding done in the middle of the math leads to errors, so carry those decimals all the way through!

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

New Players!

Well, with a unanimous vote, from myself and the rest of the group, I’d like to welcome morgan_’s Human Mage of High Sorcery Abjuration Wizard, Fairla Sunnybank and codexgigas’s Kender Entertainer Arcane Trickster Rogue, Arlo Thistleknott.

With two votes from my players, and a vote from me, I’d also like to invite RagallachMC’s Variant Human Smuggler Scout Rogue, Vigdan ‘The Dog’ Luchen. In Vigdan’s case, both players, and I ended up voting for three.

To those of you who didn’t make it in, thank you so much for putting up with my overly exhaustive application process, putting your time, effort, and heart on the line in the IC Thread. I’m sorry you couldn’t play with us.

Fairla, Arlo, and Vigdan, this process ended a lot faster than the current mission, but fear not! I’d like to modify the conditions by which your characters have joined. I know that I said when the current party gets back, Marshal Vendri will introduce your characters to the party. However, what I’m going to do, instead, is have you joined up with the Kalaman military in a sort of ‘proto-Special Forces’ that got sent out to investigate the loss of contact with Wheelwatch Outpost. Your unit was mostly killed, maybe 7–10 soldiers, including you. You all and an NPC Kalaman soldier were captured alive and you’re currently in the holding cells.

Congratulations to everyone who made it!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

DWARVES! You all move 30 ft now! This seems to be the way WotC is moving, anyway, and I agree with it. Everyone moves 30 ft., unless you have a feature that lets you move more (such as wood elves moving 35 ft.)!