The Announcements Thread

I think I’ve got enough apps at this point. I’ve changed the advertisement from April 7th to March 25th. Once apps close on the 25th, I’ll start reading through the IC thread and re-review apps to decide on a party. I’ll be accepting 7 players.

As of posting this, it’s nearly 9:00 PM, Friday, March 24th, Japan Standard Time (JST). Applications will close at midnight, Saturday, March 25th—in other words, in 3 hours. I’ll begin re-reading the applications again, to refresh my memory, and then read through the In-Character thread.

This also means that you’ve got three hours to get a post into the In-Character thread, which I’ll be locking at midnight.

What I’m looking for is a well-balanced party (I don’t take into consideration lineage or background, but class and skill-sets so that all the bases are covered), and good play-acting in the In-Character thread.

I will also be taking into consideration other factors, of course. I want a good party-dynamic, for example.

Finally, I invite my applicants to send me a private message letting me know of up to three other applicants that—if you happen to be picked, you’d really like to adventure with, and no more than one with whom you feel like you might not have fun adventuring with. This one is entirely up to you. However, this could heavily influence my decision. Your opinions matter to me. In my OGMW Princes of the Apocalypse game, for example, several applicants all named three specific individuals (who all named each other, too!) and all three of those were guaranteed a spot in the party—it was an overwhelming tide of support for those three. I guess what I’m saying is that, even if I, personally were not going to pick you, a lot of votes could pull you in—in which case, I’d build around that vote of confidence in you. That said, this could be a death-knell for your character’s chances, too. If I get too many people saying they’d really not like you, who am I to force them to adventure with you?

I’ll announce the final picks on Monday, March 27th.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

Players!

CHARACTER PLAYER
Artanis Brightblade PureChance
Coltan Bluetemper JubalBreakbottle
Decimus tyrtaeus
Hunni Collic KingGoblin
Merituuli Kaiutin PhoenixSlayer
Meryelle “Mery” Keryndon tbgg
Modri Peacemonger

Well, it’s quarter-to-one in the morning on Monday for me. I’m headed to bed, but I’ll be sending out the game invites tomorrow (proper Monday, not the middle of the night).

Two of you were shoe-ins and that was before just about everyone cast a vote for you. I think you two can pretty well guess who you are. The others rounded out the skills and the party nicely. Sadly, when it came down to Katlina and Coltan . . . I apologize. Simply put, the campaign needs a cleric—and a forge cleric at that, more than it needs stealth.

For the rest who didn’t get selected, I just want to say that I did really like your apps. I’ll be moving your apps to the archive, and if I need to fill a position, you’ll be the first I message before I recruit for a new player.

I’ll be un-locking the Pre-Game IC thread so you can clone your posting templates later. For those who haven’t finalized your characters, already, get that done quickly, please. Your App thread is now your Character Sheet. As I might have mentioned before, I don’t use MW’s character sheets, and certainly not any other place like DDB, or the like. I will only reference what you have in your App thread, so please be sure to keep it up-to-date.

Good luck to my players. Takhisis will not be easily stopped!

Discord Invitation

I’d like to invite my players, if you happen to be on Discord, to join Gregorotto’s Grotto, where many of us players gather. He’s agreed to set aside a space for me to facilitate running this game. It’ll let you ask me questions and do things behind the scenes that would otherwise require a post, waiting for a response post, and so on . . .

Joining is entirely optional and if you don’t, all due effort will be made to keep you in the loop—mainly through announcements made here.

Of course, if you’re already on there . . . well, uh . . . “Hi . . . again!”

Posting Format

All of your posting templates are fine and you can keep them as you have them, now, but I need you all to add four things for me, please:

1. Under your character’s name, where you have what they are (lineage, background, class); please make that a link to your characters Character Sheet Thread.
  2. Just like tyrtaeus did with Decimus, please use the OOC function to put your saves and skills inside your attributes.
    • Please also add an initiative line inside your Dex, since at least one of you adds a different modifier to on top of Dex to initiative.
  3. In your Out-of-Character Fieldset near the bottom, please include Action, Bonus Action, Movement, Reaction, and Interact-with-Object. If any of these is not applicable to the post, put an em-dash (—)
  4. Underneath your OOC Fieldset, please use the Spoilers box to put in the following:
    • Your character’s possible actions (weapon attacks), bonus actions, and reactions
    • Ammunition
    • Spell Slots, with to-hit and spell-save DC, as well as what spells you’ve prepared/have available for each slot
    • Rages/Wildshapes/Channel Divinities/Etc.

I’ve included, as an example, Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game’s posting template. Obviously, you’re free to modify the style (typeface, font size, separators, arrangement, picture placement, etc.), but this is essentially what needs to be there:

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIISir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail III

Human Noble Battle Master Fighter

AC: 18 (Chain Mail+2 Shield) | HP: 14/14 (1d10+2+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 10
Str:Save: +5
Athletics: +5

Carrying Capacity: 240 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 480 lb.
16 (+3) | Dex:Initiative: +0★
Save: −1
Acrobatics: −1
Slight-of-Hand: −1
Stealth: −1☆
★ Add Cha to Initiative (class feature)
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Chain Mail Armor.
9 (−1) | Con:Save: +4 15 (+2) | Int:Save: +0
Arcana: +0
History: +2
Investigation: +0
Nature: +0
Religion: +0
11 (+0) | Wis:Save: +2
Animal Handling: +2
Insight: +2
Medicine: +2
Perception: +2
Survival: +2
14 (+2) | Cha:Save: +1
Deception: +1
Intimidation: +3
Performance: +1
Persuasion: +3
13 (+1)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Ergot, and Solamnic

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’  | My actions

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game did some things. He said some things. He did some more things.

OOC

Action: Fire my crossbow.

Bonus Action:

Movement: Move 30 ft. to the space behind the tree.

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage. Versitile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Light Crossbow (loading, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +1 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d8 − 1) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Second Wind. You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Ammunition:

20/20 Crossbow Bolts

Spellcasting:

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game is a 1st-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14, +4 to hit with spell attacks). He has the following magical fighter spells prepared:

• 1st level (4/4 slots): command, protection from evil and good, thunderous smite

Class Features:

• 2/2 Wildshapes
  • 6/6 Channel Divinities
  • 3/3 Rages

Thank you very much for your cooperation. This really helps me DM for you way more efficiently. I know this is a lot to ask. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Ammunition

PureChance asked: “Also, what’re your rules for recovery of ammunition / thrown weapons after fights? No recovery? Chance based on attack roll or skill check? Chance based on luck roll?”

Good question!

I personally love Angry’s arrow rule:

• Every hit is marked off.
  • Every miss is not marked off.
    • EXCEPT for Critical Misses (Natural 1s)—then mark it off.
  • When you get back to town, you must buy a new quiversful of arrows or caseload of crossbow bolts.
  • You can only have one quiversful of arrows (or bolts) at a time
    • though you can have more quiversful of bundled arrows (or bolts)  in your backpack that takes an action to “reload” into your quiver (or boltcase).
  • If your ammunition reaches 0, then you’re out until you buy more.

This keeps the bookkeeping to a minimum, and means that you don’t have to worry about forgetting to recover half your arrows you fired. But the rule holds steadfast! Whether you shot a single arrow or technically shot 35 (with our hand-waved recovery!), either way, you have to buy a new quiversful of arrows (or bolts) when you get back to town. If you were carrying around several sets of arrows or bolts, then mark off one of those sets, instead (you’ve already bought them).

This rule applies to arrows, crossbow bolts, sling bullets, or any other form of recoverable/retrievable ammunition you carry around, including javelins.

The Color of Magic

Incidentally, for future reference, when I describe magic auras for the detect magic spell, I use the following colors for the auras of each school of magic, as well as the opposing color for the ‘opposing’ school.

School Color   Opposing School Color
Abjuration: white Necromancy: black
Conjuration: green Evocation: red
Divination: blue Illusion: yellow
Enchantment: purple Transmutation: orange

• 1 month later...

Spellbooks

First, each spell takes up one page per spellbook per spell level. In other words . . .

Pages per Spell
Spell Level Number of Pages per Spell Number of Days to Re-Insert a Memorized Spell
(Free of Charge)
1 1 1
2 2 2
3 3 3
4 4 4
5 5 5
6 6 6
7 7 7
8 8 8
9 9 9

Second, I’ll rule that in the event that a spellbook or parts of it is ruined, then any spell that you currently have memorized can be re-copied into your spellbook free of charge over the course of the next day/spell/spell-level. Any spell you haven’t memorized must be re-written using the standard methods outlined in the PHB.

• 2 months later...

I’m adding a house rule that I liked and saw on youtube today:

Small Creatures and Weapons with the Heavy Property. A small creature that has an attack stat (be it strength, dexterity, or some other stat used in place of either of those two granted by a class feature) of 15 or above AND has proficiency in the use of that weapon may use a weapon with the heavy property without disadvantage.

Spotty Availability and Unavailability

I won’t be available for much of today, and most of tomorrow—my access will be spotty at best due to setting up a new computer for my father and packing my bags and preparing for returning home. Then I fly home to Japan on the morning of the 24th—about 30 hours in transit, followed by landing too late to take a train home, so I have a hotel in Osaka that evening—I’m not getting home until the afternoon of the 26th (Japan time, early hours of the morning of the 26th Eastern Standard Time)!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...