Character Creation Rules & Questions

yxanthymir

Fiona actually has no grudge, because she has no idea what happened during that time. She's just confused, so Summer might become the target of a question flood when they meet rather than any enmity.

As we start, any chance we can homebrew something for my character's spells? It really doesn't feel right for a priest of Father Death - the god of death and fear - to have access to Life / Nature / Primal spells. I can see Life and that's where I put all her spells, but I'd like to branch out eventually.

A chance, yes. Later you can tell me what you have in mind to see if it is approved.

@VolsungaSaga @Neopopulas @fabulist @TheShadyRaven 

Post in the game thread using a character sheet with similar format from the sample character. It will be easier to determine who is speaking and check stats. 

2 hours ago, TheShadyRaven said:

As we start, any chance we can homebrew something for my character's spells? It really doesn't feel right for a priest of Father Death - the god of death and fear - to have access to Life / Nature / Primal spells. I can see Life and that's where I put all her spells, but I'd like to branch out eventually.

Out of curiosity i went looking and there doesn't really seem to be a Death tradition at all.

Maybe Theurgy might make sense but i looked into Father Death and he seems to be less about death and more about the natural end of things. The 'fear' bit at the end is a bit weird and gives it a different tone.

At first i thought Necromancy but Father Death is directly opposed to Necromancy - which is why i guess he has Life.

There is a Death Tradition in Companion 1 (but i don't know if we're allowed access to other books for that sort of stuff), but even then Death is A) a forbidden tradition and B) pretty much all about causing death, which again doesn't seem to be Father Deaths thing. Father Death seems to be like the grim reaper, not a death god.

If we CAN take spells and stuff from other books there are a few i would suggest.

Edited by Neopopulas (see edit history)

Oh i forgot to update here. The other book i was referencing is Uncertain Faith. It has a few things in it but the important thing it has is classes for, well, Faith.

One of them is the Priest of Father Death. The most important thing about this compared to the novice priest path is that its specific to a faith. It makes a point that the Solemn Brethren are unique - as are all the priest classes i guess.

Attributes Increase two by 1 Characteristics Health +4, Power +1
Languages and Professions You add mortician to your list of professions.
Death’s Chosen You do not gain Corruption from discovering the Death tradition, nor are you at risk of gaining Corruption from learning Death spells. As well, whenever you make an attack roll as a result of casting a Shadow attack spell, you can make the attack roll using your Intellect or your Will.
Magic You discover the Death, Protection, or Shadow tradition. Then choose one of the following options:
You discover the other two traditions.
You discover one of the other traditions and learn one spell.
You learn two spells.
Death Knell You can use an action to force one creature you can see within short range to make a Strength challenge roll.
On a failure, the creature takes damage equal to its healing rate, and you heal damage equal to your healing rate. Once you use this talent, you cannot use it again until you complete a rest

The important distinction is that you A) do not gain Corruption from the Death tradition (very important) and the traditions you can pull from are Death, Protection and Shadow.

It also goes into some information about how the priests are recruited and stuff like that.

If the DM is interested in allowing it i can give you information on its levels so you won't need the whole book, but if you prefer to not allow books you don't have that makes perfect sense.

Edited by Neopopulas (see edit history)