Episode 1 - A New Life in a New City

Niven81

The letter suddenly came to each of you, an invitation to join the Adventurer's Guild Faraway Thunder in the Grand Valcha, the Dragon City of the Purple Dragon Dutchy.  That was a month ago, now finally after a lot of walking, cart rides, and at least one ferry you have arrived in the city of Grand Valcha, as part of a trading caravan from the continent.  The city is an economic hub and it shows! Buildings rise on all sides some as tall as ten stories, the streets are seemingly all cobblestone, and venders, traders, and workers hustle and bustle around you.

"Welp, here you are!" A dainty-looking Grassrunner woman in a giant floppy hat and dusty travel clothes exclaims as she jumps down from a cart. "In my humblest opinion, this is the greatest place in all twelve dutchies." Pulling off a pair of thick hide gloves, she quickly gives directions to a trio of humans who begin to direct the caravan to another area. "I thank you for your company this last week, it'd have been quite boring if I only had them."  She hooks a thumb back at the trio. "Welp, off with you then, and if you ever need Albara Fleet's help I'm here for you," she gives a wink. "and for a price."

~*~

You have all been traveling together for at least a week, possibly longer. While you are familiar you are all still new to one another and may not have even revealed your reason for coming to Grand Valcha. The letter tells you the guild hall's location, and to speak to Zevoz

Tayrmus Riasgu

spacer.pngHad received the letter with a smile. As his current funds had been running low at the time and had been looking for avenues of getting more funds to further his own interests and hobbies. So with that goal in mind had begun the long one month journey to Grand Valcha. Being quite frugal with what little funds he had to ensure he would at least make it to the city in one piece. Even if it might mean missing a meal here or there to make sure.

Though being able to ride a wagon the last leg of the journey had been quite the relief after walking a good portion of the way here. "Thank you for the lift and the company over this last week. Certainly made the journey here more enjoyable." His snout breaking into a little smile as he nodded his head to the caravan mistress. "If I need to venture somewhere else I will definitely keep you in mind." Nodding to her as he hopped off the wagon and stretched. A hand soon grabbing his gear and things.

Turning away he would pull his letter out to go over the direction listed in the letter and glancing down the street for street names to match it with the directions.

jurofo.jpg.381b649a67c91bfc69da81dda8853655.jpgJuro Fo

"What what? Here already?  And here I thought we had a few more days on the road together. But that we had, good company travelling with you mistress."  The dwarf dropped down off the side of the wagon he had been perched upon for the last bit of the journey and took a step off over towards Tayrmus with a glance towards a familiarly styled letter in hand.

"Bet it's off that ways." He comments pointing off towards his right, taking one step in that direction and seeing just where he's pointed himself, then he pauses on just that one foot and pivots about ninety degrees to face another direction entirely, "Yep, that ways." he follows up without acknowledging his initial mistake.  

spacer.png"It's been a pleasure working with you, Ma'am," Ilduril says with a bow as the woman prepares to drive off. His skills seem to always be in need on the road, and he'd been able to hire on for a one-way trip the city.

"Come now, Tayrmus, we'll have many days still on the road together! Who knows, we might even see this caravan again next time they come to the city. Yes, that way," he adds at the end, looking over the dwarf's head towards where the letter directs them.

Elias

Elias steps off the wagon in a small but graceful hop before patting his armour to clean the dust off of it. He looks around with his mouth agape in amazement at the gigantic city. Everything was so... big! It reminded him of his old Summer home, the same one he got that letter from. Of course, he practicaly jumped at the opportunity, and his brother was so supportive! The real adventures haven't even started yet, but he already saw so many sights, and met these lovely people. He sighs at the thought of his long voyage ending. Still, he enthusiastically walks off towards hall, following Juro.

"What a shame the ride has to end so soon. Oh well, I'm sure we'll be in plenty more during our adventures. Right, let's go, friends!"

He tries to remember something he might have read or heard about this Zevoz, but nothing came to mind. Still, if he was to meet him to become an adventurer, surely he was a mighty man. Or, whatever specie he hails from. Maybe he's a Lindraken? Or a dwarf like his companion. What about a Tabbit? He hopes not, traveling Theo was a torture as he had to restrain himself from patting their fluffy heads. If he sees another one, he might not resist...

No, an adventurer must exercise restrain and caution in all things! Even such things as Tabbit fluffiness. Maybe he could pet them in his dreams, they wouldn't mind, right?

Albara gives you all one final nod then returns to her carts, inspecting ropes, and damage before she moves her people toward the wharf.  The city centerOldManWanderer_beautiful_girl_with_long_cherry_red_hair_and_cle_5ccae75a-c6c9-4a6c-92f6-0a5437e0877e.png.8a26e70278010345228a4f84f545b4f6.png is bustling with activity as humanoids move about their daily routines. You know from your letter that the Faraway Thunder Guildhall is off the main thoroughfare, and toward the wharf. As your group travels the streets the smells of sweet breads, savory meats, and the like remind you that you have subsisted on trail rations and caravan stew for a good while - unfortunately, the smells begin to fade as you move away from the main streets, and soon only the normal sounds of a city can be heard. This is why it shouldn't be a surprise when you hear several men snickering in a nearby side street, followed by the obvious "Let go of me!" of a young woman.

If you all look down the side street, you'll see a young woman maybe 16 years old in somewhat fine clothing, pale - almost porcelain - skin, and cherry-colored hair, being pinned to a wall by a rather rough looking human.  Several more humans who look just as rough and in their late teens as well stand nearby chuckling and egging the man pinning the girl to the wall.

"Come on sweets," the man drawls. "It's not like we're asking for much, just a toll."  

The others laugh "yeah, a toll!"

"Tolls?  But I don't see no Trolls here... or a bridge for that matter."  Juro boisterously calls out as he makes a sharp detour down the side street towards the gang of teens that have cornered the girl.  

He gives a slight shift of his head left and right, loosening up his neck with an audible crick in the process. "But if you are all toll collectors, I'm sure you won't mind showing your toll taker's license?  Wouldn't want to get you all in trouble with the Troll Toll Guild without checking first."

Tayrmus Riasgu

spacer.pngHe let out a soft sigh at the sound of the yelling. Hopefully it wouldn't be a representation of the state of affairs within the city at large. Putting his letter safely away in a pocket as he followed Juro towards the sounds of the disturbance. Eyes narrowing as he carefully took stock of the situation happening before them. Head shaking a little.  "Nor do I. Think you are perhaps lost."

Moving to join his fellow, standing behind and above his companion. A hand falling to rest lazily on the hilt of his large sword. Watching to see how the toll takers would react to them.

spacer.png"Don't worry, Miss. I expect it's all just a mistake. Right, boys?"

He gives the girl a smile as if to say everything in under control. And standing behind Juro where the 'boys' can't see, he loosens the thong on his hand axe in case he needs to access it quickly.

Elias

Elias looks at the girl with a bit of worry, noticing her pained expression. It reminds him of the times she accidentally hurt his own sister while playing, and the endless complaints of his father while his mother just looked disapprovingly. In the absence of their parents, I guess he'd have to do

"Oh, I think you should let go of her. She looks hurt, so I think you might be rougher than you want"

While he looks pretty naive, he is still carrying a massive spear on his shoulder like it's nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

The man accosting the girl pushes off the wall and squares his shoulders giving the party a rather mean look.  "Oh yeah, I might be hurting her?" He laughs. "You hear that boys, these folks think we're lost and are hurting our friend here."  He glances at the girl who has started to inch toward the alley egress and the party. "We ain't hurting you, right?" He slams out a hand smacking it into the wall before her causing the girl to let out a small "epp!"

"Now then, I don't think we've been properly introduced. My name is Catlin, and these here are my boys."  He nods back to the group behind him, you can all just make out the glint of metal as they begin to unsheath daggers and other small weapons.  "We collect the tolls for these roads and I don't think you've paid yet."

"This isn't a toll road!" The girl speaks up definitely. 

Roll for Initiative 2d6 + AGL + Scout level (If any)

All roll but only the highest roll counts, if it beats the thugs you all go first.

"Payment? Oh, I got your payment right here... is the toll five or ten?"  The dwarf asks as he holds up one fist, then a pair of them as he asks the question.  He was going to just go bare fisted, but if these young men want to pull out knives, well, metal bits it is.

RollSo I didn't read properly and used base Agility in the roll total instead of the modifier, so instead of a 16, the initiative roll should be a great big 9!

Name
Initiative: 2d6+8(AGL)+1(Scout lvls)
2d6+8+1 6,1

Ilduril knows where this is heading once Juro puts up his fists. In back of the others, he takes a further couple of steps back and readies his bow. Just aim right over the dwarf's head and you're bound one of them, he thinks to himself.

Name
AGL mod, says the character sheet.
2d6+3 4,5

Elias

Elias extends a hand to the approaching girl, putting her behind him. He's a bit startled by the man's sudden gesture , and has a small confused look of wait seriously? when they starts pulling knives. His dwarven companion starting to tense up confirms his theory that this is a fight! Against... bandits? But don't they wait on roads outside of town to ambush travelers? They're in the middle of a city. His train of thought is interrupted Juro's taunt and, wanting to make good figure in front of other adventurers, decides to send a quip of his own.

"Oh don't worry Juro, I can pay for all of us!"

To punctuate his words, he takes on a battle stance, pointing his spear towards the fake toll collectors with a big stupid grin on his face.

Name
Initiative
2d6+14 2,4

Tayrmus Riasgu

spacer.pngHe shook his head as he saw how things were about to turn out. Fingers gripping the hilt of his sword a little more firmly. Being no stranger to violence as he studied each enemy before him and taking in who might pose the greatest threat to him or the others present. Blade singing as he drew it and took up a position at the front of their little group. Adopting a stance as he prepare to meet the foe before him cold steel and a grim face.

Name
Initiative
2d6+1 6,6