1-04: The Mists of the Mournland

hoverfrog

spacer.png

AC: 12 | Initiative: +2 | Sheet | Active Effects | HP: 31/31 IP: 1/8 | Infusion Slots |

"Some weird side effect of running into the lightning rail, maybe? Perhaps it carried us with it for a bit when we got hit."
Shrugging slightly at the thought, Roderick reached out, infusing a bit more magical energy to repair the last of the damage that still lingered on Bonesetter.
"We may as well do both - keep moving forward, but keep an eye out for a good place to camp as we go."

Actions

Cast Repair Light Damage on Bonesetter : Repair

Name
Repair
1d8+4 8

RemiBragach-Token.png.73f38072f9f1bd11f68c28906f36d3d4.png~ Remi Bréagach, Entrepreneur ~

Remi walks up to Antonio to also take stock of their surroundings and make sense of their bearings. He communicates to the others, "No matter what city that is, we should probably investigate. I'm not sure how much more of barren wastelands I could take."

Knowledge, Geography.

Stats

Character: Sheet, Thread, Inventory

HP: 29/29

Hands: loaded dragoon pistol

Initiative: +2
Perception: +7

AC: 16
Flat: 14
Touch: 12

CMD: 17
FCMD: 15

Fort: +4
Reflex: +6
Will: +4
+2 curses, hexes, language

People to see, the mission

Name
Geography
1d20+6 12

Gli incantesimi viventi ci rivelano molto riguardo Eberron - Dungeons &  Dragons - Dragons´ Lair

THE MISTS OF THE MOURNLAND

Chapter 1 Part 4: The Mists of the Mournland

image.png.4d33f22261e92028e8040ad36a992d30.pngAs far as you can tell the city on the horizon is indeed Metrol. The towers, second only in fame to Sharn, are quite distinctive, although the floating gardens are missing from the skyline.

You set off on the Earth Sled in that direction, looking for a place to camp close by before darkness falls completely. The land seems mercifully clear of bodies unlike the battleground where you entered the Mournland and the border with Karrnath. There are one or two on the way, travellers caught in the Mist on their way to or from the capital but these are few and far between. Once again their perfectly preserved bodies could be sleeping or have fallen moments ago as far as you can tell.

Antonio speculates as to the unusual leap forward, agreeing mostly with Roderick, "There are visitors who have said that things have moved around from before the Mourning. Streets in cities sometimes face the wrong way or a road leads to a completely different district. The Mist itself is said to confuse travellers. Sometimes a journey can take minutes and sometimes people just get lost in there and are never seen again."

"Some say it is similar to the Traveller's Curse. You've heard of that, right?" He doesn't wait for an answer before continuing, "In Xen'drik it is said that you cannot find the same destination by the same path twice so people arrive at places earlier or later than they'd planned but never on time. It's a remnant of the Fall of the Giants when the dragons smashed their empire. All that magic unleashed at once upset the natural balance of things. I assume it is the same in the Mournland."

You are forced to stop about ten miles from Metrol, fortunately at an inn that stands on the roadside. Bodies lie across the yard, lined up neatly with a cloth over each of their faces. It would appear that someone stopped here at some point in the past and emptied the inn. Going inside you find rooms made up and unused and some rooms left after having obviously been slept in. The common room is empty and the kitchen is too although firewood is cut and ready and a cooking pot is clean and available. There is a note pinned to the pantry door.

"Sirs,

I did not want to share a house with the dead but it felt strange to treat them like dead bodies. Nor I could not stay for days to bury all the bodies here. I have had to settle with moving them into the stable. I took for safekeeping all that the bodies had on them and placed their goods in a lockbox in the cellar for their kin if they should venture this way in the years to come.

Signed.

Brandon Black, formerly of Metrol."

At the end on the note, in a different handwriting is the postscript, "Needed the stable for the night. The yard will have to do for them." Underneath that is another postscript in a much scruffier hand, third hand, "Found the cash box. Saved us a bit of work. Ta." In the bottom corner of the note is a warning, "Beware Ghostbeasts!!!"

Show DC20 Knowledge (Local)

Rumours of ghostbeasts in Metrol wandering the city at night, haven't gotten far beyond a small group of scavengers who have visited the city. These ghostbeasts are described by scavengers as being vaguely humanoid, with hairless, translucent skin. They apparently glow, as with a pale, internal light. Some scavengers believed they are ghosts of slain citizens, others that they are guardian spirits placed by the Cyran royal family to defend the city, and the rest didn't care, just trying to slay them if they crossed paths, for the ghostbeasts slaughtered those they caught out after dark.

OOC Scene Notes

There is no active map at the moment
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Zor 9th Rhaan 998 YK, evening

Show Bookkeeping

COMBAT/CONDITIONS TRACKER

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Watch Order

1. Remi & Bonesetter
  2. Nox, Terry, & Bonesetter
  3. Roderick & Bonesetter
  4. To'Nari & Bonesetter
  5. Antonio & Bonesetter

CHARACTER STATUS

To'Nari Roderick

4 damage: 23 from Lightning Rail, 11 healing, 8 goodberry wine

Nox Remi

Bonesetter Terry

ENEMY STATUS

Show Active Map

image.png.c118750f9d3dcaed7abca1724c69cff5.png

RemiBragach-Token.png.73f38072f9f1bd11f68c28906f36d3d4.png~ Remi Bréagach, Entrepreneur ~

Remi pauses for a moment to ponder the implications of a note warning about Ghostbeasts... "Whatever that means, it can't be good." He gestures towards the basement door. "If we are to squat here for the night, I'd imagine we should investigate the cellar first."

A curious grins crosses Remi's face. He goes through the motions of casting his spell of dancing lights, wondering how the Mournland might shape them to ill effect. "Kvar lumoj aperas, kvar lumoj dancas."

Knowledge, Local and cast Dancing Lights

Stats

Edited by FrancisJohn (see edit history)
Name
Local
1d20+7 12

image.png.4e5dc95c2ff40a7ac10abe42bbe1658e.png Nox |AC: 17 | HP: 62/62 

"I'll take a place with people right now over anything else at the moment. I need some flipping alcohol.", Nox groused. If the city ahead was what they were looking for, there was a chance there would be no one there. It occurred to Nox that there was perhaps a chance that there might be some abandoned alcohol. She kept the hope to herself and looked around to orient herself as well as looking for threats. She nods along to Antonio, the half-orc wouldn't be surprised at all if what happened in Cyre was some huge explosion of magic. She couldn't help but wonder maybe they would be better without magic, looked at her warforged arm, and wondered if Mace or any warforged would have been able to be made at all without it. Probably not. She gets a little lost in her thoughts, imaging that without magic people would just make something else that was powerfully destructive.

Seeing the inn, she gets a bit hopeful, but seeing the people with the covered faces dampens her hope. Feelings mix as she reads the notes. She felt it was very trusting and foolish of Brandon Black to leave the items and a note indicating where they were. Taking things from the dead gave her mixed feelings in general. They were dead and no longer needed them. She could understand wanting to get them to next of kin of the one who died though, but felt that to be near impossible as well. Better to just take them and sell them. The items had just about as likely chance to end up with the dead's loved ones if not more so that way than by one person looking for them. Her hardened face depends into distaste at the mention of ghostbeasts.

"Let's make sure to lock up and maybe put something in the way of the door and windows tonight. Don't know if these ghostbeasts are real, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are. It's said they only come out at night, guess they are nocturnal? Heard they have some sort of internal light, but you see right through them." Undead was one thing, these ghostbeasts honestly creeped her out. What if they are the spirts of the dead? She shook ever so slightly as a chill ran up her spin.

Edited by fenrirlokison (see edit history)
Name
klocal
1d20+4 19
klocal for where we are
1d20+4 11
kgeo for where we are
1d20+4 6
survival for where we are
1d20+8 13

spacer.png

AC: 12 | Initiative: +2 | Sheet | Active Effects | HP: 31/31 IP: 1/8 | Infusion Slots |

"Well." Pausing, Roderick looked over at the bodies laid out, a grimace working its way onto his face before being smoothed away.
"I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised."
At Nox's comments, he looked away from the corpses, nodding at the half-orc, trying not to think about what was implied by the phrase 'ghostbeasts'.
"Ought to try to avoid leaving anything on the earthsled too, if we can avoid it. If we can fit the sled in the stables, that might be a good idea too."

Bonesetter McCoy

attachment.php?attachmentid=107649Bonesetter looks around, but doesn't have much to add to the conversation. "We should probably set a watch rotation again. And maybe stay indoors? Nox said these ghostbeasts were nocturnal? Does that mean they wouldn't bother us if we stay in the inn?"

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2707770][B][SIZE=+1]Bonesetter McCoy[/SIZE][/B][/URL] M LN Warforged Vitalist, [B]Level[/B] 4, [B]Init[/B] 1, [B]HP[/B] 38/33, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 19, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 18, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 7, [B]Ref[/B] 2, [B]Will[/B] 9, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 2, [B]Power Points[/B] 18/27 [B] slam [/B] (1d3+1, x2) [B]masterwork Morningstar [/B] +5 (1d6+1, x2) [B]Masterwork Light Crossbow (20) [/B] +5 (1d6, 19-20/x2) [B]+1 Lamellar (leather)[/B] (+5 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Size, +2 Deflect) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 8 [B]Condition[/B] None
Bonesetter McCoy
M LN Warforged Vitalist, Level 4, Init 1, HP 38/33, Speed 30
AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 18, CMD 13, Fort 7, Ref 2, Will 9, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 2, Power Points 18/27
slam (1d3+1, x2)
masterwork Morningstar +5 (1d6+1, x2)
Masterwork Light Crossbow (20) +5 (1d6, 19-20/x2)
+1 Lamellar (leather) (+5 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Size, +2 Deflect)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 8
Condition None

Actions Crunch and OOC

Move:

Free:

Standard:

PZO9083-SkyMasterAir.jpg         Terry the Terror

Nodding in agreement to the others, Terry adds, "I'm all for that plan, hide everything we have, settle into a room, and stay out of sight if possible. I really do not like the thought of fighting something called a ghostbeast. Even magical weapons are of limited use against ghostly things. I think. Actually, I don't really know squat about ghostly beasts. It's not like I've ever fought one or been trained to fight one. Don't even know if holy water would affect them. Or is that just for undead. Man, am I over my head here."

Terry looks around, not sure whether to believe these things are nocturnal. Looking at the corpses, he muses,

"I wonder what they eat. Souls probably."

Stats

Terry the Terror
Male TN Human Slayer/Fighter Level 1/3, Speed 20. Init +3

HP 36/39
AC 24 (16 without his plate armor) Touch 13 Flat-footed 21
CMD 21 (+2)[deft maneuvers] (+1)[favored class]
CMB +8 (+2)[deft maneuvers]
Fort 8 Ref 6 Will 4
Base Attack Bonus 4
Attacks
+8/1d6+9 Scimitar [crit 18-20/x2; S]
+7/1d8+4 Composite Longbow
Abilities Str 18, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 12
Conditions None

Remi motions back outside to the earth sled and then to the cellar. "Let's split up. Some of us should secure the earth sled in the stables, and then rest should at least investigate downstairs. I'm going to the cellar. Who's coming with me?"

Remi's quartet of floating lights swirl about the room and he commands them to lead the way down to the basement.

OOC: Does Dancing Lights work as normal?

Stats

"I'm up for the cellars. Or, er, down."

Stats

Terry the Terror
Male TN Human Slayer/Fighter Level 1/3, Speed 20. Init +3

HP 36/39
CMD 21 (+2)[deft maneuvers] (+1)[favored class]
CMB +8 (+2)[deft maneuvers]
Fort 8 Ref 6 Will 4
Base Attack Bonus 4
Attacks
+8/1d6+9 Scimitar [crit 18-20/x2; S]
+7/1d8+4 Composite Longbow
Conditions None

Gli incantesimi viventi ci rivelano molto riguardo Eberron - Dungeons &  Dragons - Dragons´ Lair

THE MISTS OF THE MOURNLAND

Chapter 1 Part 4: The Mists of the Mournland

image.png.4d33f22261e92028e8040ad36a992d30.pngYou stow the Earth Sled in the barn, find yourself some beer though it is flat and lifeless, and settle down for the night.

Unfortunately the cellar, along with the entire contents of the inn that had any value and could easily be transported, have been looted already.

You set a watch but the night is eerily still and quiet. Nothing approaches, indeed nothing stirs at all.

Level up

You have levelled up and should now be level 5

OOC Scene Notes

There is no active map at the moment
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Zor 9th Rhaan 998 YK, evening

Show Bookkeeping

COMBAT/CONDITIONS TRACKER

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Watch Order

1. Remi & Bonesetter
  2. Nox, Terry, & Bonesetter
  3. Roderick & Bonesetter
  4. To'Nari & Bonesetter
  5. Antonio & Bonesetter

CHARACTER STATUS

To'Nari Roderick

4 damage: 23 from Lightning Rail, 11 healing, 8 goodberry wine

Nox Remi

Bonesetter Terry

ENEMY STATUS

Show Active Map

image.png.c118750f9d3dcaed7abca1724c69cff5.png

Terry wakes in the morning with a jerk. Half surprised he slept so soundly and half surprised he wasn't wakened in the middle of the night by a jaws clamped around his throat. "Anything happen in the night?"

Stats

Terry the Terror
Male TN Human Slayer/Fighter Level 1/4, Speed 20. Init +3

HP 46/46
CMD 22 (+2)[deft maneuvers] (+2)[favored class]
CMB +9 (+2)[deft maneuvers]
Fort 8 Ref 6 Will 4
Base Attack Bonus 4
Attacks
+9/1d6+10 Scimitar [crit 18-20/x2; S]
+8/1d8+4 Composite Longbow
Conditions None

Edited by miteke_mw (see edit history)

Remi wakes up, checks his watch. He shakes his head no at Terry's question. He slowly and methodically gathers his belongings and packs them back up. By the time he fully rises to his feet, Remi's outfit is clean and he is as well put-together as ever. Once everyone is awake and gathered, he approaches them and asks, "To Metrol, then?"

OOC: none

Stats

HP: 37/37

Edited by FrancisJohn (see edit history)

spacer.png

AC: 12 | Initiative: +2 | Sheet | Active Effects | HP: 41/41 IP: 9/10 | Infusion Slots |

"Not much point hanging around, I suppose. Probably not the best idea to linger too much."
Once he'd finished getting himself ready in the morning, Roderick set about helping getting the earthsled loaded back up.

Terry nods in response. "To Metrol, then. It's not like I want to spend any more time than I have to in here."

Stats

Terry the Terror
Male TN Human Slayer/Fighter Level 1/4, Speed 20. Init +3

HP 46/46
CMD 22 (+2)[deft maneuvers][Trip][Disarm][Dirty Trick][Feint][Reposition][Steal] (+2)[favored class][trip][grapple]
CMB +9 (+2)[deft maneuvers][Trip][Disarm][Dirty Trick][Feint][Reposition][Steal]
Fort 8 Ref 6 Will 4
Base Attack Bonus 4
Attacks
+9/1d6+10 Scimitar [crit 18-20/x2; S]
+8/1d8+4 Composite Longbow
Conditions None