Far From Home - Game 1

The robot's operating system tried yet again to act on a directive, but found itself limited to SubRoutine command.

PRIMARY DIRECTIVES:

*Store the Master A.I.*
*Launch an Energy-Satellite*
*Interfere with Important Date*
*Prevent Creation of Foe-Swap Virus*
*Ensure Birth of John McCarthy*

SECONDARY DIRECTIVES:

*Blend in with Humans*
*Investigate/Surveil Maria Tilman, Malcolm Rein, Shelley Halcott, and Steven and/or Martha Tannen*

rein-targets.txt

--Cori Rein Paternal Grandfather: Malcolm Rein. Location in 1983: Chicago, Illinois
--Cori Rein Paternal Grandmother: Shelley Halcott. Location in 1983: Chicago, Illinois.
--Paternal Grandparent Date of Marriage: September 23, 1986.
--Cori Rein Maternal Grandfather: Harvey Wallingham. Location in 1983: Indianapolis, Indiana.
--Cori Rein Maternal Grandmother: Abigail Jeffries. Location in 1983: Indianapolis, Indiana.
--Maternal Grandparent Date of Marriage: April 12, 1988.

--Albert Tannen, Network Security Researcher. Date of Birth: July 31, 1969. Parents: Steven and Martha Tannen. Location in 1983: Chicago, Illinois.

MISSION PRIORITY: Error
ANALYSIS: Awaiting SubRoutine Command

R.A.C.E.R. Chef_Master9000 SolarLeo.bat AARP H.I.M.

▶ Finish fake employment overnight and accept payment in the a.m. 🎲

▶ Gain method of travel to nearest pharmacy and make purchase 🎲

▶ Walk/travel to restaurant and gain employment

▶ Walk to nearest safe place and wait

▶ Gather information about upcoming satellite launches 🎲

▶ Null

▶ Walk to nearest empty residence and search it 🎲

▶ Walk to payphone with wiretap access and monitor calls

▶ Walk to nearest computer store and make purchase 🎲

▶ Walk to nearest pharmacy and make purchase

▶ Walk to restaurant and recon area

ASSESSMENT: Run getSubRtn(xx79387);

OOC

Time to vote! Can't wait for @Avaday Daydream's Plan anymore, so it'll be considered a Pass for now.

I've added rolls to these Plans with caveats:

RACER: Taking a cab doesn't need a roll, but stealing a vehicle does.

Chef_Master: No roll is required if all you do is spend the day watching TV news and/or reading newspapers. Getting something useful out of a conversation does, though.

AARP: As mentioned in OOC, the limitation of a single wiretap access point negates the need to roll.

HIM: This depends on the purchase you make. Computer parts are expensive and you won't get paid a lot. Buying a little doesn't require a roll, but trying to talk your way into a buy-here-pay-here situation does (where you take the equipment now with the promise of future payments plus a down payment now).

AARP (Attack Prediction and Redirection Module (3+), Human Motivation Analyzer (2+), Directed Butterfly Actuator (4+))

Processing: Estimating chances for success.

Readout: R.A.C.E.R. 22.2%, Chef_Master9000 16.7%, SolarLeo.bat N/A, AARP 69.4%, H.I.M. 16.7%

Additional Considerations: Projected purchasing power low.

Vote: (1) AARP (2) R.A.C.E.R. (3) Chef_Master9000

R.A.C.E.R.

Skills: Drive Vehicle Fast 2+, Vehicular Repair 3+, Wrenches are Weapons 4+

Location Identified: Chicago, Illinois.

Operational Analysis: Multiple strategic options available. Attempting to prioritize methods.

Prioritizing...1. H.I.M. 2. A.A.R.P. 3. R.A.C.E.R.

OOC

The robot's operating system attempted to determine mission priorities. Suddenly part of its positronic matrix short-circuited--again--causing its vision to turn into static. There seemed to be some lingering side-effects from time travel that future engineers weren't aware of. After a quick reboot of all systems, the robot found that access to one of its SubRoutines was locked down. SolarLeo.bat's pathway came back as corrupt. The robot would have to route power differently.

PRIMARY DIRECTIVES:

*Store the Master A.I.*

SECONDARY DIRECTIVES:

*Blend in with Humans*
*Investigate/Surveil Maria Tilman, Malcolm Rein, Shelley Halcott, and Steven and/or Martha Tannen*

rein-targets.txt

--Cori Rein Paternal Grandfather: Malcolm Rein. Location in 1983: Chicago, Illinois
--Cori Rein Paternal Grandmother: Shelley Halcott. Location in 1983: Chicago, Illinois.
--Cori Rein Maternal Grandfather: Harvey Wallingham. Location in 1983: Indianapolis, Indiana.
--Cori Rein Maternal Grandmother: Abigail Jeffries. Location in 1983: Indianapolis, Indiana.

--Albert Tannen, Network Security Researcher. Date of Birth: July 31, 1969. Parents: Steven and Martha Tannen. Location in 1983: Chicago, Illinois.

R.A.C.E.R. Chef_Master9000 AARP H.I.M.

▶ 5

▶ 5

▶ 6

▶ 8

ANALYSIS: Input accepted
ASSESSMENT: H.I.M. given root access

OOC & Bookkeeping

Okay, to make the math work out, I'm again giving 1st choices 3 points, 2nd choice 2 points, and 3rd choice 1 point. (otherwise it was a 4-way tie LOL)

@TheDragonOfFlame congrats, you are now in control! Take us in, captain.

35 Tokens

The robot efficiently continues the cleaning job, making sure to observe the other employees to ensure that its behaviour remains unsuspicious. It volunteers to use the automatic-ride-on-floor-scrubber, driving the machine out of sight before dismounting and pulling open the top. A few cut wires and swapped circuits later, it remounts and sits back, letting the now-self-steering machine do the job autonomously. As it punches the time card in the morning and waits in line to receive payment, it remarks to the custodial worker behind it: “What did the janitor say when it jumped out of the closet. Supplies. Hah hah. Hah.” Then, ignoring the confused look cast at its back, it moves forward, grabs the envelope of cash, and leaves the building.

A short walk later, the robot arrives at the nearest Computer City and pushes at the door. The door is locked. Processing… processing… smash door: negative. Determined course of action: wait until store opens.

A few moments later, a worker in a tacky blue vest unlocks the door, looking slightly bemused at the large figure standing stock still in front of the door. The moment the door clicks, the robot pushes the door and moves inside. It moves around the store, collecting the requisite items in a basket, before heading to the checkout in the back. A haggard looking middle aged man sits behind the counter. Analyzing: bags under eyes show lack of sleep. Tan line on ring finger: recently married. Empty glass bottle: alcoholic. Assessment: derogatory wife humour and alcohol humour. “My wife’s been demanding this crap for weeks now. And of course it’s gotta come out of my pay.” the robot complains to the cashier.

It lets the man ring through the items. “That’ll be 112.87$.” the man says, setting the items in the bagging area. The robot pretends to look in its wallet.
“Ugh, you know, I’ve tried to save the money, but sometimes after working one and a half shifts, with no overtime… well, sometimes a guy has just got to hit the bar, y’know?” The cashier nods conspiratorially. “I’m afraid I’ve only got half your money.” The robot continues. “But if I go home without this stuff, my lady’ll rip my head off. Could ya do a fella a favour and let me get the rest to you after I get payed tomorrow?”

The man hesitates, then chuckles. “I’m always here to help a fellow out. But you better get me that money, hear? Or the boss’ll have my job.”

Exiting the store with a grin on its face, the robot heads across the street to the drug mart, enters, grabs a bottle of ‘flavourless laxative’ and approaches the counter, adopting a somewhat ashamed expression. The teen at the cash grins at the robot’s face as he sees the laxative. “You, uh, having issues?” he mocks, causing the robot to grimace.

”Mind your own business. Kids these days.” The robot mutters, giving the teen the rest of the money before walking away and tucking the bottle in his pocket. Finally, the robot walks a few blocks to the Greek Corner and sits down to wait across the street at a bus stop. It sits for half an hour, enough time to see the typical patrons, how busy the restaurant is, and how many employees the restaurant boasts, before getting up and leaving with the crowd as the bus arrives.

Edited by TheDragonOfFlame (see edit history)
Name
Vehicle Augmentation
1d6 5
Humour
1d6 6

Bookkeeping

No extra Tokens spent.

35 Tokens remaining

11755623239784676976962568894736313285534800846579642848649596778946434338233976496068484623673490692093665i83654769374859876265987589685...ERROR

ANALYSIS: Buffer overflow error
ASSESSMENT: Dump RAM data, reset permissions, system reboot
ANALYSIS: ...System rebooted successfully

The bus arrived at 10:13 a.m. as the robot finished its surveilling efforts of the Greek Corner. With some of the last of its cash, it boarded the bus for just two quarters and made its way to an empty seat near the middle. As some people exited, a window seat became available. It sat down and almost immediately a little boy about seven years old by stature and body mass sat beside him. The kid's presumed guardian sat in the seat just opposite the aisle, berating why he was sitting there.

The kid just shrugged as the bus took off down the street. En route to its next destination, the kid began to look up curiously at the robot. "You're big," he pointed out bluntly. The woman near him said, exasperated, "Jeffery, leave the man alone."

Without a SubRoutine in control, the robot attempted to get its mission underway as the road vibrated the bus and its occupants.

PRIMARY DIRECTIVES:

*Store the Master A.I.*

SECONDARY DIRECTIVES:

*Blend in with Humans*

rein-targets.txt

--Network Security Researcher: Albert Tannen. Location in 1983: Chicago, Illinois. Date of Birth: July 31, 1969.
--Parents: Steven and Martha Tannen.

OOC

Another successful Plan in the books. We need a new round of Plans or Passes.

AARP (Attack Prediction and Redirection Module (3+), Human Motivation Analyzer (2+), Directed Butterfly Actuator (4+))

Objectives: Narrow down list of targets. Make preparations to eliminate Albert Tannen.

Course of Action: Take bus to payphone set as remote access point for wiretapping. Spend the day monitoring subjects with intent to identify which Rein, Halcott, and Tannens are the ones we wish to find. Locate Tannen household and begin reconnaissance.

Chef_Master9000

Skill 1: Knives! +2 Skill 2: Bluff +3 Skill 3: Remove Traces (Destroy Evidence) +4

1. Visit Chicago State University

2. Locate Science/Engineering department

3. Convince staff I am a reporter for a science magazine

4. Learn about any proto-internet programs in development where we could upload the Master A.I.

OOC

Couldn't really think of what to do so I went for something a little different. The idea being that we would hide the Master A.I. in the code for early versions of the internet and then when they all get connected, the code is just hiding in the dark web until needed.

R.A.C.E.R.

Skills: Drive Vehicle Fast 2+, Vehicular Repair 3+, Wrenches are Weapons 4+

Location Identified: Chicago, Illinois.

Operational Analysis: Unable to parse input, please try again.

OOC

Pass for me. I feel like we're going in so many directions it's hard for me to come up with a cohesive plan.

The robot's operating system tried yet again to act on a directive, but found itself limited to SubRoutine command.

PRIMARY DIRECTIVES:

*Store the Master A.I.*

SECONDARY DIRECTIVES:

*Blend in with Humans*

rein-targets.txt

R.A.C.E.R. Chef_Master9000 AARP H.I.M.

▶ Null

▶ Travel to University

▶ Get information out of staff 🎲

▶ Travel to remote access point

▶ Monitor and identify targets 🎲

▶ Travel to household

▶ Recon the area

▶ Null

OOC

Pretty straightforward Plans here. Sorry it took me so long to get this up. Sinuses aren't trying to kill me today (finally).

First vote gets 2 points, second vote gets 1 point. Ties go to Chef_Master9000 for the shorter Plan.