Bug: Broken Interface When Moving a Fullscreen edit tab

Need more information to reproduce--browser/version, etc. However, this is probably an interaction between Invision and the CKEditor maximize plugin, which is not installed by default and therefore not something Invision has tested to ensure compatibility. No guarantees it'll be fixable.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer to use mobile to engage in PbP, and the ease of mobile play has been drastically reduced from OGMW to Baldr.

In OGMW, I had managed to memorize much of the BBCode by heart, which allowed me to type a constant stream of text and code to quickly construct each post.

In Baldr, BBCode has been removed, and it's replacement is worse. Unlike OGMW, the input interface doesn't scroll at all, so the bigger your post is, the more you have to scroll up to get to the interface buttons (bold, italics, etc.) and then scroll all the way back down to get to your place.

For a short-term solution to this issue, my suggestion would be to give the input interface a scrolling feature; that way, I don't have to zip up and down my screen just to put something in bold.

For a long-term solution, the more robust that BBCode translator gets, the better: if I could just do basic syntax like bold, italics and underline, that would mostly fix the problem. Other things like images, links, spoilers, ooc, and text color would make the problem vanish entirely.

[ooc]Here it is[/ooc]

3 hours ago, Rune Knight said:

I prefer to use mobile to engage in PbP, and the ease of mobile play has been drastically reduced from OGMW to Baldr.

In OGMW, I had managed to memorize much of the BBCode by heart, which allowed me to type a constant stream of text and code to quickly construct each post.

In Baldr, BBCode has been removed, and it's replacement is worse. Unlike OGMW, the input interface doesn't scroll at all, so the bigger your post is, the more you have to scroll up to get to the interface buttons (bold, italics, etc.) and then scroll all the way back down to get to your place.

For a short-term solution to this issue, my suggestion would be to give the input interface a scrolling feature; that way, I don't have to zip up and down my screen just to put something in bold.

For a long-term solution, the more robust that BBCode translator gets, the better: if I could just do basic syntax like bold, italics and underline, that would mostly fix the problem. Other things like images, links, spoilers, ooc, and text color would make the problem vanish entirely.

Actually Baldr is way more mobile user friendly than OGMW, once you learn to use it. Has vastly more features that are easier to access on mobile, not to mention the mobile resizing to fit to the screen.  It is actually on of the perks of Invision Community.

But to answer your concerns directly, I have posted a screenshot below of a editor window.  Once the post is long enough to go beyond the screen then a scroll bar appears on the right of the edit box to scroll up and down without having to move the main window (access to buttons) I also confirmed this working on Chrome in android.  Sorry, I can't test on iPhone.

The BBCode (as much as possible) is currently available to community supporters and allows for bbcode input just like ogmw (also in screenshot below). Things such as bold, italics, underline, spoilers. ooc, etc work under the new button just fine.  There are limitations though. Things like tables, and some of the older hacked functions on ogmw will not work on Baldr. But 90% of the bbcode does.

You also could use the source window of you post to just type out html directly on Baldr, if you already know bbcode then learning html would not be that difficult. Basically you could just use <b> in the place of [b], <i> in the place of [i]. I have confirmed all of that works as well on Baldr.

I think the biggest help for mobile users on Baldr is the "clone" function.  If you regularly use the same template to post in a game you can just hit the clone button on your old post and it will make a new one that is exactly like it, then you can just edit the text as needed and off you go. Makes really nice looking and formatted post so easy on mobile.

Not sure if the plan is to release the bbcode button to everyone, or if it will stay a community supporter perk.  One of the admins would need to answer that question.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with any particular styling issues.

EDIT: Just realized the BBCode Button is not showing up on mobile.  Will send a message to Eric.

scroll.jpg

Baldr does have lots of benefits, on that I'll agree, the resizing thing being one of them. In my opinion, though, without anything like BBCode to effortlessly type a stream of text and code, Baldr is a lateral movement from OGMW, not an upgrade for the user.

That's just my personal experience, though. I don't say it lightly: this only makes a difference because posting is the core feature of a PbP site.

I also use an Android phone, but I'm not seeing that scroll bar at all - neither in new posts that are long enough to prompt it, nor in editing posts that are already very large. I wouldn't know what the problem is for that... maybe my version of Android phone? It's only a few years old, though.

I'd love to be able to afford to be a Community Supporter, but money is tight right now. I'm currently unemployed, and the economy in America is... well, you know.

I've taken a class on HTML before, but it was a long time ago. I'd rather not feel like I have to learn it, you know? For now, the formatting of HTML alone makes me afraid I'll mess everything up and not know how to fix it at all.

That is a good idea for the Clone button, though. So far, my plan is to copy HTML source code of a template post I've made and then preserve it perfectly to reuse, but Cloning could be a little faster.

Edited by Rune Knight (see edit history)

The lack of a dedicated scrollbar inside the mobile editor is inherent in CKEditor's design--they chose to make the post area bigger rather than setting scroll to avoid any confusion with dual inner/outer scrollbars.

Does the Maximize editor button work on Android?

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

The lack of a dedicated scrollbar inside the mobile editor is inherent in CKEditor's design--they chose to make the post area bigger rather than setting scroll to avoid any confusion with dual inner/outer scrollbars.

Does the Maximize editor button work on Android?

Huh, I didn't notice that button. Well, it does fix the scrolling problem on my phone, at least. I'd prefer that it have a dark mode just like my chosen theme, but that's a lesser problem than the one that was solved.

8 minutes ago, Rune Knight said:

I really appreciate that, thank you. I also appreciate that the BBCode translator will be rolling out for everyone. It makes me glad to hear these things.

Yep. The maximized box is white. Did not realize this. Will work on a fix tonight.

Started toying with the necessary features to accomplish a custom Maximize button for MW. It's definitely not done--there is a lot of JS wiring to make it work--but I think this UX should be pretty close to the desired mark for mobile: fixed toolbars, scrolling content. Work to be done to make the bottom buttons as small as practicable, while the header is shown at the target 32px height.

image.png.317502cce97876b18cabf18f556297e2.png