Doom of the Savage Kings: OOC

cailano

Welcome to Doom of the Savage Kings, everyone! And a special welcome to @Vedast, the newest member of our band.

I've changed the status of the game to read-only, and I've sent all of you invites. Let me know if you don't get yours.

I'm just wrapping up game creation, and I anticipate kicking off the IC thread this week. Monday at the latest.

Please check your character sheets and make sure they're added to the Characters section (notice that you are no longer a mob!)

One important note: I have read your thoughts about the lethality of DCC in the Behind the Screen section of our last adventure, and with all due respect, I have decided to disregard them. Stong wine may be an acquired taste, but no one ever developed a taste for weak tea.

I will do my best to present this module in all its harrowing glory. It would feel like a disservice to you to do any less.

As far as the danger level encouraging caution goes... I think that's probably wise. I'd suggest you put yourself in your character's shoes and role-play them appropriately. In our last adventure, many of your actions were downright heroic. I know a lot of them came in moments of desperation, but maybe that's what heroism is.

As the Game Master (Judge), I will be fair. Doom of the Savage Kings may not be. I leave surviving the adventure up to you, and I have faith that you will do so.

I will delete the Pre-Game discussion and Recruitment threads next week. Be sure to copy/paste any information you need.

I've added a set of Game Expectations, which you can read by clicking the link in the header. They are the same as they were in the last game. Please continue to be excellent to each other.

5 hours ago, cailano said:

One important note: I have read your thoughts about the lethality of DCC in the Behind the Screen section of our last adventure, and with all due respect, I have decided to disregard them. Stong wine may be an acquired taste, but no one ever developed a taste for weak tea.

And that is perfectly fine for you to do, it’s your game after all. 

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

And that is perfectly fine for you to do, it’s your game after all. 

I appreciate that, and I hope it's the call that will lead to the best game for everyone.

"Disregard" was probably a poor word choice. I did consider what you guys were saying.

An excellent perspective on this notion was given in this video (can go to 16:00 for this specific point, but the entire video is well put):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XjHvLZZ5S4

To summarize: the point the guy was making was to refute the "don't get attached to your character in 'Old School' games because they're going to die anyway" approach.

He flips this nicely:  get attached to your character.  Play your character as though their life means everything and play that character to survive to face another day even if that means fleeing a situation that one cannot win. 

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Vedast said:

He flips this nicely:  get attached to your character.  Play your character as though their life means everything and play that character to survive to face another day even if that means fleeing a situation that one cannot win. 

To be completely honest, this is how I played Tabitha (and why she survived). I played her as though I was in the game world reacting to this stuff. That's why I had such heightened emotions surrounding the events.

Now that Tabitha has nothing left to live for but vengeance, I imagine I'll become more reckless and most likely the first to die.

26 minutes ago, Malkavian Grin said:

Now that Tabitha has nothing left to live for but vengeance, I imagine I'll become more reckless and most likely the first to die.

I thought she was going to be Periande's protector?!  No going off on a Dwarf Slayer mission of self destruction (yes, I'm genre hopping for convenience - heh).  🙂

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, Vedast said:

I thought she was going to be Periande's protector?!  No going off on a Dwarf Slayer mission of self destruction (yes, I'm genre hopping for convenience - heh).  🙂

Hehehe. She leaps into battle screaming "Gromthi Dokor!" (yes, I play Vermintide)

She's protecting through forward action; murder begets peace. XD

For the record, none of my comments were about the lethality of Sailors on the Starless Sea. My firm opinion is that the lethality of the funnel is not only expected, but necessary. 

My concerns are more along the lines of, "Do the rewards justify the risk?" In Sailors, the broad answer is "yes" because we were trying to eliminate an existential threat to our homes and, by extension, ourselves. Our lives were already at risk, so it made sense to risk our lives. But from the standpoint of material rewards, the answer is "absolutely not!"

Going forward, what are we now? What's our motivation, the potential reward, to continue to risk our lives? It seems like we're adventuring because we have no other option - perhaps we are heroes with no way home - because if we did have another option some of us would probably do that instead.

5 minutes ago, Tecumseh said:

For the record, none of my comments were about the lethality of Sailors on the Starless Sea. My firm opinion is that the lethality of the funnel is not only expected, but necessary. 

My concerns are more along the lines of, "Do the rewards justify the risk?" In Sailors, the broad answer is "yes" because we were trying to eliminate an existential threat to our homes and, by extension, ourselves. Our lives were already at risk, so it made sense to risk our lives. But from the standpoint of material rewards, the answer is "absolutely not!"

Going forward, what are we now? What's our motivation, the potential reward, to continue to risk our lives? It seems like we're adventuring because we have no other option - perhaps we are heroes with no way home - because if we did have another option some of us would probably do that instead.

I think DCC comes from the standpoint that the hero's are hero's by choice, they are not good people and if they had not chosen the life of the adventurer they would be living a bleak life ( with some notable exceptions based on their profession) as a serf or worse. 

Edited by Excior (see edit history)