Prologue: The Sinner’s Eye

Whitleyrr

As a slight breeze stirred some fallen leaves into a miniature whirlwind, several things unfolded at once. Cordelia’s phantasm knocked upon the door to the manor house she saw. Three solid knocks and a resounding echo from within, but nothing further. Dalin’s staff wrapped upon the bier, disturbing cloth, which bunched unaestheticlly. The bier did not move or dissapate or open or anything else Dalin feared, but it remained, in silent opposition to her senses. Drench shuffled nervously while Jozelle plucked music from the air. Bold Alyssia strode fearlessly toward the entrance to the damned tower she saw, but held when Lord Stuart called.

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 27/27 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 0/1 

"For I believe what we are seeing is such..."

"If you enter that door before you Lady Alyssia, you will be lost to the rest of us. There would be nothing stopping us following you, save, of course, the knowledge of where you went. The same for you, and you, and you" Alban's index finger moves pointedly around the makeshift circle. "Just as each of us arrived here from a different path, each would continue on a different journey, its start known only to ourselves."

He pauses briefly, to check their understanding, before continuing to explain. "If we are to continue together, and I believe that is the mages intention, then we must all enter the same door. Cordelia," he declares authoritatively "you say you see a manor house, dripping blood. Clearly it is known to you, but the rest of us? Dalin!" he whirls on, gathering momentum "A byre carries even less unique identity!" He slows, quietens. "If we are to follow you to that same house, we must know each detail of what you see. The same for each and every one of us. Then, I believe we may begin our journey together.

He awaits comment from the group patiently, the only sign of a troubled mind the ever flowing shadows across his clothing. 

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 3

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of PrivilegeThanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to.

StrSave +0
Athletics +0
 11 DexSave +4
Acrobatics +4 | Sleight of Hand +4 | Stealth +6*
18 ConSave +5*
No skills associated.
 16 IntSave +1
Arcana +3* | History +3* | Investigation +1 | Nature +1 | Religion +1
12 WisSave +1
Animal Handling +1 | Insight +1 | Medicine +1 | Perception +1 | Survival +1
 12 ChaSave +6*
Deception +6* | Intimidation +4 | Performance +4 | Persuasion +6*

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +6 | Spell Save DC 14 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 2/2

Sorcery PointsSubtle Spell - 1 point
Extended Spell - 1 point
3/3

Actions

• Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC14 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC14 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• ShieldAn invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile. [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 26/26 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13

As Drench listens to Jozelle's footsteps, it takes a good deal of focus, her steps noticeably light and quiet. Perhaps it's because she's not heavy, or her boots are made of good material? Regardless, she does continue to move.

"...we must know each detail of what you see..." As Alban makes his proposition, the note that comes next is sharp, an off-tune exception that squeals with imperfection. As he finishes, Jozelle stares at the man for several seconds.

She decides to speak, and once more walks and plays her notes as if nothing happened. 

"Before me is a mansion, resplendent in its beauty and grandeur. No blood. No dead. It is the Manse of Three Delights, but two hour's ride from Glammer. It hosts three events each year, the delights,  for the powerful, the wealthy, the ambitious, the reveling. Its decor is for the Silver Ball, shimmering... flowing... like starlight captured in dust. It has been recently painted, its cream and gold trim sparking in sunlight. The garden is a feast of flowers white, blue, and darkest violet. The door is ivory carved with the image of people embraced in dance and lust. A black carpet rolls out to wipe the dirt from one's feet. It is... excessive in its wonder."

Jozelle finally stops playing, and moves her lyre back to tie it to her pack. "Is this... enough detail? Will I not be lost when we enter?"  

Mechanics

Main Hand: Lyre
Off Hand: Lyre

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

HD: 3/3d8

https://i.imgur.com/CThdUja.jpg
ZjbivsM.png

Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
9 12 13 16 10 18
(-1) (+1) (+1) (+3) (+0) (+4)

Lips pursed, Cordelia crossed her arms at her front, her fingers tapping her forearms ever so gently as she pondered. The echoing of of her knocks followed by silence left her perplexed, until both Dalin and Alyssia described what they were seeing. She didn't quite understand how it was possible, perhaps it was an illusion of sorts? A sort of trial left by the mage to test their trustworthiness for his quest? What ever this was, she didn't like what she was seeing a single bit. The more she stared at the richly appointed brick manor before her, the more familiar it felt. Even though the others spoke, her relaxed hands turned to fists that were clenched and knuckles white, her eyes stayed locked and unblinking on the vision before her. The longer she stared, the more she was filled with dread and remorse. The feelings were so intense that she felt a tightness in her chest. Welling tears stung her eyes as she came to realize that the blood oozing from the crevices of the building was actually a metaphor for the blood that was on her hands.

Thankfully, Dalin's compliment about her name ripped her from her engrossment and downward spiral. She took a shallow breath, quickly raising a hand to dab away any signs of tears and masked the gesture by brushing away the tendril of hair which framed her face. She smiled softly to the silver haired dwarf who held an air of jovial kindness that caused Cordelia to relax slightly.

Cordelia nearly kicked herself when Alban responded to Dalin's question. It should have been obvious from simply looking at him that he was of noble standing. Embarrassed, she immediately and reflexively placed one hand at the small of her back and one on her stomach as she gave him a respectful bow like she had done with so many lords before. She listened intently to the handsome noble as he spoke. The way he commanded the group's attention with an air of charismatic authority in his voice was something familiar to her. She was impressed by his knowledge and how he had figured out what she could not. She had been nodding along with his explanation in agreement the entire time, but when he suddenly called her name and recounted her vision, she froze and gulped. Thankfully, he continued his thought and moved on to Dalin quickly enough that she needn't respond.

If they all had to choose one vision in which the group follow, she would do anything in her power to make sure it was not hers. She was about to finish Alban's train of thought by mentioning the castle seen by Alyssia as a diversion away from herself, but then the musician named Jozelle spoke, removing the need for diversion. Cordelia breathed a sigh relief, her vision sounded quite lovely in contrast to her nightmare, "That actually sounds quite exquisite Jozelle. Should we have to choose a door for us all to walk through, I wish it to be yours." she paused for a moment turning her attention back to Alban, Jozelle's question was valid, "How is it possible to follow through a door which we cannot see? Will these doorways be revealed with enough description?" her hands found their way back to one another clasped at her front, she hoped her inquiry didn't make her seem as though she lacked intellectual prowess, and hoped not to tarnish the group's esteem of her.

Edited by Karma Kameleon (see edit history)

SampleAlyssia - Paladin of Mosheach 

Alyssia stopped at the lord’s call. Stuart he said, that was a name she heard before and more then once. Yet what sort of major noble appeared alone, or would not be screaming for his attendants if they suddenly disappeared. That didn’t match the ones she’d met with the Crows. Regardless what he said made sense and Alyssia drew back from the threshold a half pace. 

“I’m no lady my Lord, just a humble Forester,” she said, giving the common name to the rustic order to which she belonged lest he overestimate her status and hold it against her later, “Though some call all knights nobility I’ve spent more nights under hedge then at any court.”

She turned her gaze back to the threshold as the others spoke again. She had business to attend to even if it meant being separated from those other travelers. She was under no contract to them either, but she knew what Sir Myles would say to that line of reasoning. You are not a mercenary now Alyssia, we fight because people need us not because they pay us, he had told her many a time. So she supposed she should not just leave these wayfarers when she was the only one heavily equipped. And truth be told, some company would be welcome if she was to face even a vision of Thornwood again, or whatever else these others were seeing. 

“Yes indeed how should we defeat this scattering magic then? Perhaps we join arms together like sailors adrift at sea?”

Alyssia blushed, slightly but persistently as she realized what she said. Puissant magic defeated so easily? Redeemer's mercy they must think her truly stupid to suggest as such. Still what else was there to do? She had heard her elders in the order speak of defeating magic saying that a strong spirit and mind could push through a wizard's trickery but she'd not had a chance to put it to the test. 

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

AC: 14 | HP: 46/46 | Rages: 3/3  | Passive Perception: 12 

Dalin was still staring at the funeral bier, having tapped it, gently, a second time. "Nae smoke then...", she muttered. Her puzzlement was deep and dug a heavy crease on her forehead. She reached out a hand to touch the dark cloth on the bier, but then stopped and let her hand drop. She shrugged, as if shaking off a bad dream. She cocked her head to better hear what everyone was saying.

The magicks of it were beyond her, but she could follow people's words. She tried to talk it through, perhaps more for herself than anyone else. "So... what you're saying, Alban, is that we're all seeing different things and those things are real for us... not real, like *real*... but real enough to touch. They don't just live up in our thinkers." She tapped her temple with her free hand. 

"Anyway, if all that's so, then I got two questions.

One. Does everyone see a house, or something with a door, and is it... familiar? Jozelle sees the Manse place, which does sound right fine. Alyssa sees a... castle tower was it? Cordelia, a bloody manor house. I see a house too... a native longhouse, and it feels like I know it. Its door is right there." Dalin jabbed a stubby finger in a direction, but seemed somewhat unwilling to actually look towards it. "And, for me, I agree with Cordelia, so far I'd pick Jozelle's door too. I don't mind how we gotta link up to go through it, holding hands skipping if that's what works." She nodded toward Alyssa.

"Second question. Do we have to pick a door? What happens if we turn around and go back down the trail?" Dalin's hazel eyes leapt back to the direction of the path she came from.

AC: 14  | HP: 27/27 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 0/1 

Alban worries at the silence that follows his statement, the sudden discordant note hanging ominously in the air. He is well aware he asks a lot, for he can only assume by the varying expressions of trepidation that each person's vision is as emotive as his own. To share such secret with strangers - with even one other - is to condemn it to public knowledge after all. Once Pandora's box is naught can seal it's contents again. He breaths a sigh of relief as Jozelle opens. He carefully studies the magic woven before him for any shimmer or shift at her description.

Cordelia's reflexive bow is as it should be, and he inclines his head in appropriate response - noting that none other offer common courtesy. Even the Forester, quick to clarify her alignment with the common folk, was yet slow to behave as one. A deliberate slight, or a life once lived differently?

He listens to the others reply too, taking extra effort to check the orc was not busy writing something he would miss.

"That is my hope, Cordelia, that with enough description the magic will be able to pluck the same door from each our minds, and so we will be able to follow into the same reality," he replies cordially.

Turning back to the dwarf he continues "Certainly my vision is familiar to me, though judging by what I see and some of our shared, shall we say discomfort" he stresses, pulling the dwarfs averted eyes to his own, "I suspect each is linked to particularly strong emotion. I doubt Jozelle's vision, pretty as it may be, is without its own thorns."

Alban runs a hand through his raven hair, eyebrows furrowing as he feels the detritus of the forest beneath his fingers. "I wonder in fact if the mage is using this less an an individual test but rather to gather us together, for shared secrets bind stronger than any promises of gold. In which case, I imagine there is nothing to stop you simply turning and leaving, though I equally imagine doing so would leave you hard pressed to find this clearing, and our nameless patron, again," he muses "Or perhaps the magic just finds it easier to draw on our strongest memories."

Stat Block

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of PrivilegeThanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to.

StrSave +0
Athletics +0
 11 DexSave +4
18 ConSave +5*
No skills associated.
 16 IntSave +1
12 WisSave +1
 12 ChaSave +6*

Speed 30

Extended Spell - 1 point
3/3

Actions

• Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC14 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC14 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• ShieldAn invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile. [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

OOC

Any obvious changes in the illusion following Jozelle's description?

https://i.imgur.com/CThdUja.jpgRnnCaqG.png

A smile crept across Cordelia's lips as Alyssia and Dalin suggested they link arms to cross the thresholds. She admired their nonchalant bravery in face of the odd situation they found themselves in. She wished she felt the same way - had their strength. Even though every fibre in her being was telling her to turn tail, having them and the brawny half-orc in her company reassured her enough to stay.

Cordelia nodded in understanding with Alban's explanation, her expression mirroring Alban's with furrowed brows, ''I too sense that this is some sort of trial left for us by the mage. A tactic that makes us all vulnerable by facing us with our deepest darkest secrets in order to strengthen our bonds in sharing these experiences. Perhaps it is a test of our grit in facing our greatest fears. Perhaps...'' her voice trailed off for a moment as she dreaded what she was about to say, ''Perhaps the mission he has in store for us will be more challenging than anything we've ever faced in our existence thus far, and he wants to be certain that we hold the determination necessary and are worthy of taking on such a monumental task.''

Jozelle's description hadn't caused any visible effects as of yet, and so she looked towards the group, reluctantly continuing her train of thought with a fearful look in her eye, ''As Alban said so eloquently, shared secrets bind stronger than any promises of gold. Could it be possible that we must not simply describe what we are seeing, but more so reveal the secret behind what our vision represents?'' she suggested with a slight shrug of her shoulders.

Stat block

Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
9 12 13 16 10 18

Skill Proficiencies

[-1] Athletics (Str)

[+1] Acrobatics (Dex)
[+1] Acrobatics (Dex)
[+5] Stealth (Dex)
[+1] Sleight of Hand (Dex)

[+3] Arcana (Int)
[+7] History (Int)
[+5] Investigation (Int)
[+5] Nature (Int)
[+3] Religion (Int)

[+0] Animal Handling (Wis)
[+2] Insight (Wis)
[+0] Medicine (Wis)
[+2] Perception (Wis)
[+2] Survival (Wis)

[+6] Deception (Cha)
[+4] Intimidation (Cha)
[+6] Performance (Cha)
[+6] Persuasion (Cha)

Edited by Karma Kameleon (see edit history)

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 26/26 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13

"Lord Alban Stuart... poised, authoritative, and thoughtful... 

"Alyssia... bold, stalwart, and humble...

"Cordelia... cautious, intelligent, and called-beautiful...

"Dalin... friendly, forthright, and curious...

"Silent one... listening, watching, waiting...

"I paint you all a picture of what lays within my heart, and see naught but blank canvasses in return. All so eager to tread my path no matter what it may be in order to leave your own in shadow." For a moment Jozelle considers what it will mean if she reveals more, if she states outright what it means. She blinks back the start of tears, well practiced to burying her emotions on a moment's notice, well practiced to be numb to them. "Perhaps I will speak more, perhaps not. I would know of your doors as well... or am I to believe that I am the only one on the ballroom floor meant to dance at everyone else's pleasure? Would you all ask of me to be alone in this forest, in front of these... thorns?" She takes Alban's own description at the end. There's something slightly unsettling to the way she speaks. It feels less like she's attempting to guilt anyone else, or even judge them. Her words come out as a curious observation, like a child asking a parent what something means, to clarify something odd or obscured.  

It's hard to say how she'll react one way or the other if others wish to share or not. 

Mechanics

Main Hand: - (Rapier at hip)
Off Hand: -

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

HD: 3/3d8

Name
Perception
1d20+3 19

What Cordelia suggests is exactly what Alban fears, depending how deep this magic runs, what price it demands of them. Should the truth, the whole truth, be unveiled then his dreams of ascendancy will be be lost amongst those same dark pines that condemned his brother. His gaze sweeps across the encircled gathering, faces of strangers shrouded in mystery, their debts yet concealed from him. 'Six can keep a secret, if five of them are dead.' He hardens his heart at the gnawing doubts within. 'if I were to fall at any step, then all before would be for naught.' he tells himself. Ambition pricks his heels however, will not let him abandon this opportunity despite the risk. For if the mage is powerful enough to weave such a test, then this trinket must be no mere bauble, and such a mages favour may be equally valuable. Mind set, he composes himself before replying to the unsettling musician. 

"Come now Jozelle," Alban chides, "Do not pretend you dance alone just because you step more intricately than others. Cordelia shared first, unprompted, and Dalin too has offered further description as best she can."

"I was merely being polite to let others say their piece first, but if it pleases you I shall share my vision next." As Albans words spill forth his fingers twist in arcane gesture, and shadowy illusions coalesce in the crisp autumn air to illustrate his tale. "Before me I see my eldest brother Vincent's house - forsaken and derelict. Leaves eddy in the chill wind that blows through the cracked windows, and its hearth lies cold. The door rattles, gaping wide. It is a cruel reminder of his loss, a loss that tore our family apart and what led me down this crooked path to meet you all today." He turns away at the end, his own illusions dissipating in fine smoke.

OOC

Stat Block

Languages Common, Elven

StrSave +0
Athletics +0
 11 DexSave +4
18 ConSave +5*
No skills associated.
 16 IntSave +1
12 WisSave +1
 12 ChaSave +6*

Speed 30

Extended Spell - 1 point
3/3

Actions

Bonus Actions

Reactions

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

AC: 14 | HP: 46/46 | Rages: 3/3  | Passive Perception: 12 

The dwarf turned her back on the questionable bier - thinking about it wasn't helping. She unceremoniously brought herself to the ground with a clumsy motion, somehow managing to end up sitting cross-legged. Lookin' like we might be here for a bit, might as well get comfortable.

As Jozelle finished speaking, Dalin couldn't help but ask. "You paint such pretty pictures with your words... and you gave us all three labels... but I'm wondering what are yours? Ima gonna think about it... " She muttered to herself for a moment in her guttural mother tongue. It sounded much less pretty than anything Jozelle would say.

Silently, Dalin listened intently to Alban's tale, almost enjoying the theatrics of his illusions. When he finished, she asked simply, "Would you tell us how your brother died?" It sounded almost rhetorical in the asking, like she didn't expect an answer.

Looking back to the others, "If Cordelia is right and we have to all share the secret behind what we see... then I'd rather not. It's not a matter of trust, I don't even talk to myself about the yester-days. Not sure I appreciate some mage trying to force it, to be honest. 

What I'm sayin'... is that if everyone has the same kind of secret at the core of what they're seeing, then I wouldn't expect anyone to want to go through their own door." 

Dalin sighed and got to her feet again, obviously a bit restless. "I gotta admit, this story-time is made up of the worse kind of bedtime tales." 
Edited by ariel
grammar! (see edit history)

token_2(3).png.2701b28d4c9761b99ab439eda6f6fb4b.pngDrench

STR: 12 (+1) | DEX: 16 (+3) | CON: 16 (+3) | INT: 10 (+0) | WIS: 14 (+2) | CHA: 8 (-1)

AC: 15 | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +3  | Passive Perception: 12 | Passive Investigation: 10 | Passive Insight: 16

Darkvision: 60' ft. | Relentless Endurance: 1/1

When the woman named Alyssia ceased her approach to the door, Drench relaxed and listened carefully to the so-called lord who held her attention. What the man said made little sense - but what magick carried any sense with it? He quickly ran a hand across his scalp, untangling greasy black locks in the process. With another glance at the medallion draped across Alyssia's neck, Drench worked up the courage to look back at his own building.

The house of his childhood always felt intimate and cozy. Built with sandstone and white pine, it stood gracefully just a stone's throw from the shore. Small, square windows played upon the walls with no rhyme or reason other than giving the cottage a strange, tilted appearance.  Now as Drench gazed upon it, he had to calm the drum pounding in his chest. Without looking down, he picked up the parchment and pen again - writing what detail he could. His fingers shook as he watched the pine frames become engorged with sea and blood.

"My mother's house - weeping salt water and blood. Any reward from Mage will go to her. No secrets."

The words were scattered across the paper, but surely the others would be able to read it. Drench passed the parchment to the person closest to him. He did not want to be here any longer than necessary, but if that meant opening his own door...

Don't be ridiculous. You'd go through it. What would your father say if you tossed this opportunity away? The house won't drown you. Besides, there are others here - they are truly the dangerous ones.

With a heavy swallow, Drench stepped toward the house.

Name
Perception Check
1d20+2 3

https://i.imgur.com/CThdUja.jpgRnnCaqG.png

Jozelles words stung - only because Cordelia knew she was right. If they were in fact seeing visions tailored to their most painful memory, who was she to expect someone else to take the fall instead? “It is not your burden to bear more than it is ours, Jozelle. I apologize for imposing this upon you.” she said lowly. A warm shudder crept down her spine. She felt like a hypocrite for being so cowardly and trying to flee when faced with tribulations instead of taking them head on. It was after all, her cowardice that had caused the vision standing before her at this very moment.

Cordelia was hit with another shudder and pang in her heart as Alban spoke the words, “Cordelia shared first, unprompted” what had she shared exactly? The devastation of her secret had not yet been unveiled - would they still be willing to work with her or even be able to look at her once they found out? Would they hold the information against her as blackmail? Was she really going to share her darkest secret with a group of strangers? She wrung her clasped hands as fearful and intrusive thoughts polluted her mind.

The raven haired lord surprised her once more as he openly shared his vision. She admired his ability to lead by example - although, admittedly, his story felt hollow. She new the loss of a loved one well and how difficult it could be, but she wondered how Vincent’s fate came to be. Dalin had the same thought as she, but was more quick in inquiring about it.

With the others having also shared their stories in part, it left her feeling inspired. She turned her back to the group, she stared back at the bloodied lord’s manor. She tried to build up courage to speak by reciting a poem she had written to herself as a reminder of her deeds and her vow for redemption. The feeling of hypocrisy she felt as she recited her words was overwhelming. Mosheach had guided her to this very moment, now was the moment to be brave, now was the time to atone. No more excuses, no more running away.

She drew a deep breath and exhaled slowly. When she finally spoke, her voice was trembling and meek,
"Through the forest dense, I traveled with haste,
As twilight enveloped, the sun’s warm kiss effaced,
An evening familiar, akin to those preceding,
Until rebels appeared, my heart swiftly beating.

Men in arms encircled, their demand I could not refute,
My life, they threatened, if I did not comply with their pursuit,
In my possession, a letter of peace, bound for a rival lord,
They sought vengeance, a price I felt obliged to afford."

She finally turned to face the group, her lower lip quivered and a single tear ran down her cheek as she struggled to speak the words,
"With a trembling hand, the words I refashioned,
A decree of war, scrawled onto the parchment.
Now within their hands, the false words to their lord were conveyed,
In consequence, a battle was fought, my hands crimson stained."

She held her trembling hands out in front of her with her palms outstretched before bowing her head low, her gaze focused on the leafy ground at her feet.
"Guilt and remorse tear at the fibers of my being,
I wish to make amends, for my failure of redeeming,
But alas, the sins of my past cannot be undone,
A lifetime of repentance, my journey just begun."

Her voice grew in confidence, her shoulders straightened as she looked towards her allies with a hopeful look in her eye.
"I pray for absolution, and for the strength to atone,
To find solace, and make peace with the sin I have sown,
May The Redeemer Mosheach, have mercy on my soul,
And grant me the grace to make my brokenness whole."

Stat block

Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
9 12 13 16 10 18

Skill Proficiencies

[-1] Athletics (Str)

[+1] Acrobatics (Dex)
[+1] Acrobatics (Dex)
[+5] Stealth (Dex)
[+1] Sleight of Hand (Dex)

[+3] Arcana (Int)
[+7] History (Int)
[+5] Investigation (Int)
[+5] Nature (Int)
[+3] Religion (Int)

[+0] Animal Handling (Wis)
[+2] Insight (Wis)
[+0] Medicine (Wis)
[+2] Perception (Wis)
[+2] Survival (Wis)

[+6] Deception (Cha)
[+4] Intimidation (Cha)
[+6] Performance (Cha)
[+6] Persuasion (Cha)

SampleAlyssia - Paladin of Mosheach 

Alyssia gripped the medallion that hung from her neck. What was all this now? Reveal their darkest secrets to pass a simple door? It was right out of a bard's tale. What if that failed, perhaps they might find a sparrow cracking nuts on the last day of summer to reveal the hidden keyhole? Alyssia suddenly found herself wishing she had not stopped the first time. Taking a few breaths she recited a quick prayer of meditation in her head. This wasn't anymore revealing then the trials the order had put her through, anyone could become a Forester but they did not take just anyone.

What harm was it if total strangers knew her tale? It wouldn't make for good sharing over ale, it wasn't some great secret. And if this job were to take any amount of time they'd likely learn of it soon or later. Taking a look over her shoulder at the dream of Thornwood she heard Cordelia name the Redeemer her heart decided.

"To they who ask for mercy, let it be granted,

To those who ask for shelter, let them be sheltered,

And to those who are thirsty, draw up water from the well.

This is the message of the Shepard of Souls, the Keeper of Fields,

Until Seasons End."

That was the traditional response to those who offered prayers to the Redeemer, especially ones by name. It was not one something she had expected to hear here but the call had come all the same. Perhaps it was an omen. Alyssia held for one moment more and left out a breath, tension leaving her shoulders. 

"Well I guess on that note I should go next? As you probably all have surmised today I serve the Redeemer, but that was not always so. Before the order found me I was a mercenary. We called ourselves the Wandering Crows, some called us the Bloody Crows. We weren't an especially bad lot as mercenaries go, but we were not some merry band of romantic heroes either. I did many things I regret now in those years, but it was not justice what happened to us in the end. The Captain took a job in a place called Thornwood, cleaning up some peasant rebels. We didn't care why just that he had coin, but our employer had other plans.

The Duke of Thornwood was a vampire, he betrayed us, ate many of us and imprisoned the rest for later. He took an especial fancy to my best friend, killed her, and made her... like him. They might have killed me as well but made a game of convincing me to join them instead. I managed to escape one night when Alice got careless. The Foresters found me and destroyed the Duke and all his spawn and kept helping me. What I see before me is a castle much like any other, you've seen them a hundred times but what is terrible is the darkness hiding within. Redeemer be with me." 

When Alyssia shared the vision of what she saw the air slightly shimmered, like a heat mirage in a desert. Each of the new companions felt a dissonance deep in their person and the beginnings of a headache alit upon them. In the place where the buildings they all saw stood, there was at once all visions and none, resolving themselves into one. 

Saving ThrowThose who fail a wisdom saving throw, DC 15, feel slightly nauseated and/or dizzy, and need to squat or sit down.

The next time they looked, the vision they once saw was gone, the illusion dispelled, and in its place stood an humble home made of well-fitted logs and an angled, thatched roof above the second floor. Above the roof was a chimney, from which a pleasant smoke emanated. A few windows let light in past white curtains pulled to the corners, and a simple wooden door demarcated the entrance. To either side of the door and underneath the windows were several planted beds full of fragrant herb shrubs and wild flowers.

40480303-87AE-400B-A67C-5FBF42AB7863.jpeg As the companions recovered themselves, the door creaked open and a tall, thin man berobed in sleeveless navy and gold strode forth. His sun browned skin betrayed no particular country and his graying beard could have hung from a man of almost any age. His bald pate glistened in the afternoon light and a short smile that neither welcomed nor scorned adorned his lips. 

“You were almost late for cocktails. Do come in.”

With that, he turned and walked back inside the house, which, from where the companions were, seemed decorated wall to wall and floor to ceiling with shelves crammed with books, scrolls, and unkempt sheaves of parchment or vellum.

Edited by Whitleyrr (see edit history)