Prologue: The Sinner’s Eye

Whitleyrr

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 27/27 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 1/1 

Alban listens to the stories that follow his - two tales of unfortunate circumstance, two of mystery. He wonders why the beauty did not convey her capture to her recipient, then realises that such a breach would breach trust, and thus end her employment. Not so different from his own reasoning, albeit far more insignificant. Yet it was important for all to feel fulfilled by their place. 

The half-orc remained a mystery, if an apparently good-hearted one to fund his parent like that. If Alban's father were destitute he would be lucky to catch a single copper, and no doubt too proud to accept it anyway. 

"A tragic hunting accident," the well-worn lie slips from his lips with ease in response to Dalin's questioning, garnished with truth.

As Alyssia's tale concludes, Alban is overcome by a wave of dizziness that leaves his vision swimming. "Excuse me," he croaks, closing his eyes and leaning forward to rest soft hands upon his knees. The faint eases, and he straightens once more, gently massaging his temples before opening his eyes, to find their apparently genial employer before him as if nothing had happened. He suppresses his irritation at the man's games, smoothing the deep blue robes beneath what is now a rich purple cloak around his shoulders, a stylised raven-in-flight embroidered on the left collar.

"That sounds most delightful, sir," he answers politely as he steps to follow what he assumes is the mage inside, "though I may have to beg something a little weaker - I find my senses still a little raw from our journey and do not wish to befuddle them further..." With a last suspicious glance at the now welcoming country cottage he crosses the threshold and seat himself in a well worn armchair nestled amidst scattered scrolls. His pale eyes drift across the walls, noting with interest a few historical tomes of arcane knowledge. "You are a scholar?" he remarks idly as he crosses his legs and leans back, still recovering from the thunderclap ache in his head.

OOC

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 3

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of PrivilegeThanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to.

StrSave +0
Athletics +0
 11 DexSave +4
Acrobatics +4 | Sleight of Hand +4 | Stealth +6*
18 ConSave +5*
No skills associated.
 16 IntSave +1
Arcana +3* | History +3* | Investigation +1 | Nature +1 | Religion +1
12 WisSave +1
Animal Handling +1 | Insight +1 | Medicine +1 | Perception +1 | Survival +1
 12 ChaSave +6*
Deception +6* | Intimidation +4 | Performance +4 | Persuasion +6*

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +6 | Spell Save DC 14 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 2/2

Sorcery PointsSubtle Spell - 1 point
Extended Spell - 1 point
3/3

Actions

• Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC14 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC14 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• ShieldAn invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile. [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)
Name
WIS Save (DC15)
1d20+1 8

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 26/26 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13

Something catches the corner of Jozelle's eyes as the others begin to reveal more, as each does indeed offer up their hearts. There's something beautiful about the trial, to let their visions become one, to let their pain become one. It is almost enough to be at ease, and at the same time all the more upsetting.

I know the pull of strings to make the marionettes shake and rattle.

As the vision fades, Jozelle puts a hand on her mouth and she falls to a knee, wincing as the illusion apparently enough to jar one's senses.

What is this? Truly?

It is a different kind of test, a different kind of power than she's used to, glancing up as who can no doubt be the mage greets them. Shakily she stands without a word, and enters. Her eyes move around taking in their surroundings, letting the room sink into her mind. 

Mechanics

Main Hand: - (Rapier at hip)
Off Hand: -

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

HD: 3/3d8

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)
Name
Wisdom Saving Throw
1d20+3 4

https://i.imgur.com/CThdUja.jpgRnnCaqG.png

What had she been so afraid of? With her darkest secret revealed she felt lighter - a burden lifted from her shoulders. Raising a hand, she placed it gently over her heart, she bowed her head appreciatively to Alyssia's response. It seemed her own bravery had inspired. She listened to Alyssia's story intently, a look of empathy strewn across her face as she listened.

It appeared their strategy had been correct as she watched the illusion of the lord's manor dissipate, a charming wood log cottage now standing in its stead. The wave of relief that washed over was interrupted by a feeling of nausea. Although her head was suddenly spinning, she gracefully found her way to the ground, her dress folding up around her as she took a seat. She raised a hand to her temple and blinked a few times before reaching for her water skin and drawing a few sips from it.

Cordelia took a moment to recompose herself, inhaling deeply, wafting in all the wonderful odours of herbs and smoke. Feeling better, she stood and looked down at her soiled dress. The dirt, twigs and dried leaves seemed to vanish into thin air as she waved her hands over her dress. She quickly followed behind Alban, giving the mage a cordial bow as she entered his abode. For the moment, she was still processing everything that had just occurred and struggled to come up with anything to say. She silently took a seat beside Alban and nodded in agreement, placing her folded hands upon her lap, ''Would you have some herbal tea perhaps?'' she suggested with a charming smile.

Stat block

Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
9 12 13 16 10 18
(-1) (+1) (+1) (+3) (+0) (+4)

Skill Proficiencies

[-1] Athletics (Str)

[+1] Acrobatics (Dex)
[+1] Acrobatics (Dex)
[+5] Stealth (Dex)
[+1] Sleight of Hand (Dex)

[+3] Arcana (Int)
[+7] History (Int)
[+5] Investigation (Int)
[+5] Nature (Int)
[+3] Religion (Int)

[+0] Animal Handling (Wis)
[+2] Insight (Wis)
[+0] Medicine (Wis)
[+2] Perception (Wis)
[+2] Survival (Wis)

[+6] Deception (Cha)
[+4] Intimidation (Cha)
[+6] Performance (Cha)
[+6] Persuasion (Cha)

Edited by Karma Kameleon (see edit history)
Name
Wis Save
1d20 8

1 hour ago, PureChance said:

"You are a scholar?"

“Hmm? A scholar? Oh, yes, well…” he gestured around him a bit haphazardly at all the books, “I suppose you might get that impression.” Looking around, the room seemed disconcertedly larger on the inside than the outside suggested might be possible. The central room had a ceiling that was easily three, maybe four stories high, with tall windows extending upwards illuminating myriad shelves on each floor. There was a long oaken table in the center around which were placed chairs of various makes and age. Alban had taken the most comfortable looking chair, as befit him. The mage poured two steaming cups of tea from a service tray off to the side and delivered one to Alban and one to Cordelia, “I pray that though it is too hot, this tea is not too weak for my Lord’s palette. And for the lovely lady, tea for you. Now, for the rest of you? Wine? I’m having wine regardless.” He turned back to the tray and poured a burgundy colored liquid into a stemmed glass for himself.

As he waited to see if anyone would join him, he spoke again, “My name is Alastair Kruthian, and you are correct to surmise that it was I who called you each here. And each of you has made it, which wasn’t assured. I do not ask you to pardon me for the test through which I put you. It is, or rather, will likely be, a trifle. But, I had to know that each of you could look within with unflinching honesty. I have need of such authenticity of person in a search for an object of mine that has come into possession of a new owner. You answered my summons to find an amulet, and an amulet it is, which permits communication beyond the realms of light and life. You are already drawn to it, you see, for your histories make you desirable hunters. It is known as “The Sinner’s Eye,” and my research demands I retain it.” He sipped, then, from his glass and made a contented sigh. “Who will join me? It was a very good year?”

Edited by Whitleyrr (see edit history)

"A taste." Jozelle acquiesces to a small cup of wine. If nothing else, the taste may help wash away the light taste of bile... a taste that came to him less when the illusion faded and more when she described the beautiful ball from her past.

There is a slight coldness in her eyes as she regards Alastair Kruthian. You know too much and too many things. Should I look upon your impressed or in fear? What should my crimson hands do?

He does not ask for forgiveness though, and that alone eases her a little. She has never once asked forgiveness, and struggles to see why so many do. Perhaps an act of clumsiness or ignorance warrants an apology. A harm done knowingly... planned and executed to perfection is an act chosen.

"Thank you."

Mechanics

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

AC: 14 | HP: 46/46 | Rages: 3/3  | Passive Perception: 12 

Dalin's "bedtime tales" got worse as Cordelia and Alyssia revealed more details about their particular trespasses. The dwarf didn't look at them as they spoke, a little embarrassed for listening to their secrets. 

When the building shifted and the wave of dissonance cascaded through the space, Dalin gave into it, almost grateful for a physical punch in the gut to bring her focus back to the present. She bent over, leaning hard on her walking stick, wondering if she was going to be sick. Ach. That's bad, same feeling as after that last batch of apple brandy. Tasted great, but wouldn't let you forget it for days. 

Righting herself, she walked into the newly-formed house, taking her time to openly examine the books and papers on nearby shelves before making her way to stand at a window. After Kruthian finished, she looked towards him and spoke directly. "You're saying that this test was nothing compared to what's a comin'?

I dunno how many questions you can handle at once... so I'll start with two. What exactly are we in for and how many more trips down memory lane should we be expecting? I don't like walkin' roads I've been down before." Dalin's tone was serious, but she wasn't one to hold on to grudges, and seemed open to hearing what the man had to say.

"Wait, wait... before you answer... I might need that glass of wine." The corner of her mouth slid up in an almost playful half-smile.

Cordelia's eyes scanned Alastair, observing the man closely as he served their drinks. She gave him an appreciative smile, "Wonderful, thank you." picking up the cup, the mage had warned it was hot but she had nearly scalded herself. Gingerly, she nested it between her palms, a faint icey blue light emanated from them and the wisps of steam from her hot drink dissipated instantly. She brought the cup to her lips and drew a sip. Notes of lavender and hibiscus danced on her tongue, her eyes closed whilst savouring the gentle the flavor. Cordelia settled back into her seat, now appearing much more relaxed and at ease.

Dalin was quick to begin her questioning - she smiled at the woman's curiosity and eagerness. She had questions of her own, but didn't want to bombard the mage, they weren't in a rush and had plenty of time to discuss. However, something was nagging at the back of her mind after hearing Alastair's introduction. He seemed to know quite a bit about each of them, and yet, he remained a mystery. She was not interested in discussing the details of their contract until she felt confident in who he was and that he could be trusted. And so, she allowed herself to ask him a two in one question, "While I admit that your proposal is most intriguing. So much so that it has led us all here at your door Sir Kruthian. Yet, aside from your name, you remain a mystery to us. I find it concerning that you seem to know a whole lot about every one of us, and we know almost nothing of you. Would you care to tell us more about yourself and explain how you came to selecting us as your desirable hunters? Please understand that while we may have given you reason to trust in us, it is most important for us to know that we can trust in you before we bind ourselves to any sort of contract."

Stat block

Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
9 12 13 16 10 18
(-1) (+1) (+1) (+3) (+0) (+4)

Skill Proficiencies

[-1] Athletics (Str)

[+1] Acrobatics (Dex)
[+1] Acrobatics (Dex)
[+5] Stealth (Dex)
[+1] Sleight of Hand (Dex)

[+3] Arcana (Int)
[+7] History (Int)
[+5] Investigation (Int)
[+5] Nature (Int)
[+3] Religion (Int)

[+0] Animal Handling (Wis)
[+2] Insight (Wis)
[+0] Medicine (Wis)
[+2] Perception (Wis)
[+2] Survival (Wis)

[+6] Deception (Cha)
[+4] Intimidation (Cha)
[+6] Performance (Cha)
[+6] Persuasion (Cha)

AC: 14  | HP: 27/27 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 1/1 

"Thank you," Alban replies as he lifts the tea, inhaling the vapours deeply with closed eyes. His manicured fingers curl delicately round the handle, pale even against the porcelain yet marred already by flecks of dirt that belie unexpected hardship on his journey.

He opens them again to the familiar sound of wine falling into crystal, and a hint of longing and regret crosses his face as their host serves himself a glass of luscious red wine. But no, best to remain entirely sober with the last of this headache still adding distraction, especially with talk of a Sinners Ete. Alban had to agree with the woman seated to his left - the mage knew an uncomfortable amount about each of them. For now, he was content to listen to his companions questions and answers. There was a appetizing bluntness to the dwarfs questions when directed elsewhere, it was far harder to finesse a hammer than a rapier after all.

OOC

Stat Block

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of PrivilegeThanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to.

StrSave +0
Athletics +0
 11 DexSave +4
18 ConSave +5*
No skills associated.
 16 IntSave +1
12 WisSave +1
 12 ChaSave +6*

Speed 30

Extended Spell - 1 point
3/3

Actions

• Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC14 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC14 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• ShieldAn invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile. [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

SampleAlyssia - Paladin of Mosheach 

Alyssia's eyes widened as the Thornwood she saw blurred and distorted before finally vanishing like a high summer phantom. If the knight was bothered by the rather dizzying display as the true abode of there would be employer appeared though she gave no sign of it. She was still mildly shocked that had worked, but there was power in the words of the Redeemer. 

Her companions of the most part did not seem to fair as well, taking the nauseating display in less stride but no worse for wear then that she judged. Still she kept a close eye to see if any might need further assistance. Lest they fall back on their less then forthcoming host. 

Indeed so this was the man who had called him here. He looked quite normal, but then the real wizards often did and she had no doubt his little display marked him as a powerful wizard indeed. His name meant little and less to Alyssia but she made note of it all the same. The artifact he spoke of however that was of interest. The Sinner's Eye? Not a surprising name to Alyssia for what it was claimed to do. Most of the Redeemers flock would say that the dead should be left in peace. Truth be told Alyssia agreed with that sentiment.

Most of the time.

They might still be right still as well. Strong need drove her to this course of action, but there were stronger needs still to which she was beholden. What was this Eye really, and what did this wizard Kruthian need it for specifically? That bore watching carefully. Yet still it seemed Alyssia was not alone in her doubts as the party filed in bombarding their mysterious host with questions already. Alyssia did not join in though, relapsing once more into silence. That other woman, Cordelia was her name, had the right idea in particular. Trust another of elven blood to show the right suspicion, Alyssia mused to herself. Not that the others were making a bad job of it though. 

While the rest of the party talk Alyssia quietly acquired a glass of wine slowly circled the seating area looking over the room. Arriving at an empty seat she slid her sword off her back and leaned it against the chair before sitting down herself. One hand rested on it almost like an old man cradling a beloved staff, while the other held the still undrunk glass of wine. With that she waited, and listened. 

On 5/12/2023 at 4:06 PM, Karma Kameleon said:

So much so that it has led us all here at your door Sir Kruthian. Yet, aside from your name, you remain a mystery to us. I find it concerning that you seem to know a whole lot about every one of us, and we know almost nothing of you. Would you care to tell us more about yourself and explain how you came to selecting us as your desirable hunters? Please understand that while we may have given you reason to trust in us, it is most important for us to know that we can trust in you before we bind ourselves to any sort of contract."

Alastair smiled at Cordelia, but not a smile that seemed cold or inauthentic. It actually communicated warmth. “Your request is fair, young one. As a scholar of history and the principalities that have shaped this world I come across, from time to time, mention of different items of power that have, at one time or another, held influence. Now, some of these, I leave well enough alone. They are hidden or lost, and deserve nothing more than to remain so. But others, like the Sinner’s Eye, allow such things that many desire and either effect material good, or are morally neutral. Who among us has not desired to speak again with a loved one who has gone to their rest?”

He paused here and looked around, intently and meaningfully at each of them. When his gaze rested on Dalin, he started, “My dear! How could I, but I’ve forgotten your wine. Here, here you go, please accept my apologies!” He handed Dalin her wine, her glass somewhat more full than the others. Then, nodding, he sipped at his wine before continuing, “What I know about you is comparatively little to what you think I know about you. The magic which tested you upon entry mined your memories, true, but I was not privy to those results. What I do know is that each if you saw a door that you would be unable to traverse unless you first came to grips with the most painful part of your past. In sharing what you saw with the others, you dispelled the magic, because the spell was satisfied that you were able to be honest about your pain. It’s simple really, and quite delightful, but no, no I don’t know what you saw. I only know how it likely made you feel. 

“Now the Sinner’s Eye, by my calculations, is not far from where we now sit, in the small village of Hethton. It likely was passed down from parent to child as heirloom jewelry, without its owners knowing its worth or purpose. It’s quite beautiful really, a piece of reflective, black volcanic glass set in gold and hung from a gold chain. But say the word, and it becomes a device for speaking across the chasm created by mortal death. I care not how you acquire it, save please don’t do violence to its owner. They do not deserve that nor do I think you all the type to descend to such depths, scarred and armed though you may be. No, take this gold and buy it back. In exchange, I will pay you all 3,000 gold each, and allow you to use the device under my supervision.” Drinking from his cup again, he took his ease and tried to gauge their interest in his quest.

Edited by Whitleyrr (see edit history)

Jozelle has been on the very edge of spilling her secrets, and in that moment she retreats inside her mind. Who she is... what she is... what had she committed... questions that remain unanswered. Her eyes scan both Cordelia and Alyssia whose admissions reflected Jozelle's admonishment back at her. Jozelle wondered aloud why she had spoken more details, had offered more clues that if one pulled on enough threads might uncover her twisted truth. Those two had cut to the chase, and revealed the pain. No glimpse, no hint, but full, painful confessions. 

There is darkness in their tales, yet I understand. Would they... understand me?

Jozelle remains a bit guarded towards the enigmatic mage, though her annoyance greatly lessons as she takes the smallest sip from her drink, taking the time to savor it as she listens. 

No... violence? Such a sweet thought...

And then Jozelle realizes he means the words. If so... why is she here? If they are to merely... purchase the object, then where does she fall in? Where does her skills find use? Is she to simply play an instrument? Is she an extra body to lend weight to whoever barters? Does she have... something else to offer?

You... intrigue me

The final thoughts are not in her own voice, but someone else's. Jozelle breathes out through her nose, putting the stream of thoughts to the side. "You paint a simple portrait, Alastair Kruthian, scholar of history and principalities. The task should be of little consequence, and even smaller trouble still." It feels like too much to simply buy a valuable object, but then again those with riches do enjoy spending it to ensure they get what they want. Perhaps it isn't Hethton that concerns him, but the mercenaries themselves.

A lone mercenary can betray. Six strangers will keep one another in balance, will hold one another to account.

Mechanics

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)

Who among us has not desired to speak again with a loved one who has gone to their rest? The mage's question echoed in her mind. Zachary immediately came to the front of her mind and her heart swelled with nostalgia. Oh how she had dreamed countless times about being able to speak to her love once more. Still, she forced herself to push the thought of him out of her mind for now. Gazing around the scholarly mage's abode, his words coincided with what she saw, yet she remained skeptical, for all she knew this was all just another one of his illusions.

Cordelia nodded with Jozelle's remark, "A simple portrait indeed." she turned her gaze back towards the mage, clasping her hands together on the table before her, "If your quest were truly as simple as you describe it, I'm certain you would have gone and sought the amulet out yourself already." she said in a matter of fact tone.

"Information is power. As such, the amulet's unique ability to converse with those not on our mortal plane gives the wielder access to a highly valuable wealth of information. Much like your trial, I fear this quest will be much more than it seems, and this is why we six have been assembled here and are being asked our assistance." she paused, taking a moment to take a sip of her tea, her eyes scrutinized the man as she continued, "I understand that it may not be my business, however I must ask... What are you to gain in retrieving this amulet and how do you intend on using it? Admittedly, the prospect of seeing a lost loved one is most tempting and your offer too is generous. I cannot speak for my comrades but, I personally will not risk my life for coin alone. If I consider your intentions are of malice, I shall outright refuse. Prove to me that you will use the amulet for good, and I shall ensure that it finds its way to your hands."

OOCCordelia will use her insight to analyze the mage's response to her questions

“Fieldwork? Oh, no, m’dear, I don’t do fieldwork. Haven’t in some time.” Alastair said to Cordelia. Bolstering his point he responded to Jozelle, “Truly it is of little consequence. You are right to assume that the bauble is of more value to me than it would be to others, but does such make my intents suspect out of hand? I should hope not. Look around you,” he gestured to the books and scrolls, “imagine what knowledge I could provide to future students of history, what gaps in our understanding I could fill! Why, it’s almost inconceivable, you’re right, what we could learn!” His voice grew animated as he warmed to his subject. “I could ask Cornelius Carnelithia why he chose to have his Delia commit suicide in act three of his famous play instead of face the consequences of her romantic choices. I could inquire with King Saducel why he chose to reverse decades of imperial policy and establish true trade with the Merking of Imboca. Why, I could discover what truly lay in the heart of Queen Michaela Talik as she watched her only son and heir march off to war, a war, I’ll remind you, from which he never returned, throwing Glammer into years of succession tumult!”

Alastair’s arms settled from their whirlwind (during which he’d managed not to spill a drop of wine) as he looked at the gathered companions. “But you six, why you six? I’ll be honest with you. The Sinner’s Eye is a wondrous item of magic and power and even if its current owner does not recognize it for what it is, there are others who do, or who will. Should some of them also be in possession of knowledge of its whereabouts, they may also be in search of it. And should two such groups of searchers after lost knowledge come to some, shall we say, disagreement about whither the Eye should go, I should very much like the team I’ve hired to be persuasive in their reply.”

Alban savours his tea as he listens to Cordelia's interrogation, once again mildly impressed by the sharp mind she displays through her questions. Thankfully his arcane headache is dissipating as quickly as the steam as the power within his blood scours his mind clean again. It is not the first time he has experienced such dissonance and likely won't be the last, his interest in forgotten and forbidden magics no less acute for having gained his bloodline right. If such a boon had flung his ancestors into the nobility, then to unlock further secrets may yet lead Alban ever upward. This Sinner's Eye seemed a worthy prize as well - to be the name associated with breaching the mortal barrier would surely be recognised. Though, he mused, some dead are best left silent in their forgotten tombs... Yes he could definitely foresee why others may wish such an artefact buried. 

"Truly wondrous," he remarks quietly "I too can think of several shades whose knowledge has been lost to the ravages of time. Not that your offer is ungenerous should the mission prove as simple as we all hope, but should we recover the artefact, would we be permitted to partake in its powers? If so, I will gladly embark on this venture; my companions to be have already proven themselves resilient in my eyes and I do not fear for opposition." His words carried a subtle undercurrent of intrigue, a hint at the depths of his desires. His gaze sweeps across the assembly, a smile etching itself onto his lips - a smile that conceals the razor-sharp edges of his ambition. Greed coils around his heart, tightening its grip, and with each passing moment, he grows more resolute. Details, negotiations - they could all be woven into the tapestry of his victory. History was written by the victors. 

Perhaps this quaint backwards village would carry some unexpected entertainment too, especially with so light a restriction placed upon them. If the artefact's owner remained ignorant of its true value, who was to say they even required half the promised gold for its acquisition? The surplus funds could conveniently cover the expenses incurred during the retrieval, ensuring Alban's own purse did not remain as dangerously threadbare as currently.

OOC

Stat Block

Languages Common, Elven

StrSave +0
Athletics +0
 11 DexSave +4
18 ConSave +5*
No skills associated.
 16 IntSave +1
12 WisSave +1
 12 ChaSave +6*

Speed 30

Extended Spell - 1 point
3/3

Actions

Bonus Actions

Reactions

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

SampleAlyssia - Paladin of Mosheach 

"So who's your first ghost then?" Alyssia broke her silence abruptly, but kept her tone polite and curious.

The wizard had rattled off names like that was a real answer to the question but she doubted it. Though she supposed there might indeed be some scholars that would hand out such a fortune for mere curiosity to use such a powerful artifact merely for such academic vanity didn't sit right with Alyssia. For certain no one would create such an artifact with merely that in mind, nor would it have such a name. More likely the mage wanted it to spy on matters far less historical. She had no doubt many lords and ladies would be mortified if they heard that dead men were suddenly telling tales. In her years as a mercenary several clients had hired the Crows to arrange just such events. Speaking of which...

"And who is the other party you know about. Have they already hired someone? Who? Or are they going after the Eye themselves?"

There was no doubt in her mind someone else was already after the Sinner's Eye, and clients withholding information on the opposition had gotten people she'd known killed before.