• Special notes
EQUIPMENT & GEAR MONEY & VALUABLES
  • Name
    • Effect(s)
    • Quantity, if limited
  • x silver pieces
SPECIAL ABILITY NAME or UNHEROIC FEATS
  • Power Word
    • The powers-that-be whisper dark secrets in your ears wherever you walk. Their incessant chittering never gives you peace.

➤ You innately know one random sacred or unclean Power.
      ➤ Once you have read a scroll you may carve its esoteric glyphs into your flesh and no longer need the item itself to cast it.
      ➤ Every night there is 1/20 chance that you accidentally cast a Power in your sleep. This Power also has a 1 in 6 chance of fumbling.

SKILLS
  • Skill name
    • Category
    • Effect(s)
POWERS
  • Grace for a Sinner
    • Sacred
    • A creature of your choice gets +d6 on one roll (damage, test etc.)
  • Enochian Syntax
    • Sacred
    • One creature blindly obeys a single command.
  • Telekinesis
    • Unclean
    • Move an object up to d10×10 feet for d6 minutes.
  • Eyelid Blinds the Mind
    • Unclean
    • d4 creatures fall asleep for one hour unless they succeed a DR14 test.
  • Death
    • Unclean
    • All creatures within 30 feet lose a total of 4d10 HP.
Edited by Couch Potato Rex (see edit history)

For rolls and stuff.

Terrible Trait: 

Broken Body:

Bad Habit:  Best friend is a skull. You carry it with you everywhere, tell it everything, and trust no one else more.

Classless; Unheroic Feat: Power Word

+100 Silver

Edited by Couch Potato Rex (see edit history)
Name
Starting Silver
2d6*10 5,6
Days of Food
1d4 3
Types of Food
4; 4; 5
d6;d6;d6 [4]; [4,4]; [4,4,5]
Starting Equipment to Hold
1d12 6
Starting Equipment to Aid
1d12 10
Starting Equipment to Maintain
1d12 12
Troubling Tale
1d20 20
Omens
1d2 2
Weapon
1d10 7
Armor
1d4 2
Agility
drop(4d6,lowest) 1,4,2,2
Strength
3d6 6,1,4
Toughness
3d6 3,5,6
Presence
drop(4d6,lowest) 1,2,3,6
Hit Points + Toughness
1d8 1
Power Word: Unclean or Sacred
1d20 12
Sacred Power
1d10 9
Roll for Scroll at Merchant
1d20 10
Scroll Price
1d20+40 5
Roll for Scroll at Merchant #2
1d20 9
Scroll Price
1d20+40 7
Roll for Scroll at Merchant #3
1d20 20
Scroll Price
1d20+40 13
Roll for Scroll at Merchant #4
1d20 4
Scroll Price
1d20+40 5
Roll for Scroll at Merchant #5
1d20 3
Scroll Price
1d20+40 9

Interesting stuff taking shape here.

So far everything looks correct! For your random Power, just roll 1d20; 1-10 is Unclean, 11-20 is Sacred. Here's hoping you only get beneficial stuff 😉

Since you're not using a Class, you can delete the Melee Ability entry.

Now, what's really interesting is your Troubling Tale. You heal twice as much, but your companions only heal half as much. That's brutal. But you'll also literally have a guardian being of some nature protecting you. I'll let you come up with their shape and form, or I can find something appropriate if you like. Now, if this being dies, the healing shenanigans go away. Keep this in mind.

Yeah, got some real fun stuff starting here.  Laughed hard when I rolled the minimum for hp, but that has its appeal too.  Laughed even harder at the Troubling Tale.  Was thinking I'd buy some scrolls with starting cash, really lean into the caster concept knowing that spell failure will be trouble for a low health character.

As to shenanigans well it's like someone once said, "Death is a doorway, Time is a river, the Door is ajar."  Or something zen-sounding like that!

1 hour ago, Couch Potato Rex said:

Was thinking I'd buy some scrolls with starting cash

That's fine. Keep in mind you use Presence to cast so it's going to be a hurdle for that advantage.

Scrolls and Ochre Tablets are randomly priced. You can't use tablets right now, so a scroll will cost you d20+40 silver.

Roll d20 to figure out what scroll you get sold (1-10 is Unclean, 11-20 is Sacred)

1 hour ago, Couch Potato Rex said:

As to shenanigans well it's like someone once said, "Death is a doorway, Time is a river, the Door is ajar."  Or something zen-sounding like that!

LOL

28 minutes ago, Couch Potato Rex said:

Re-roll duplicate scrolls?

Nah. If you manage to hit a duplicate on a d20, that's all the scrolls the vendor has for now.

Sorry I wasn't clear; the d20 represents with Power rolled too. If you roll 12, that's the 2nd Sacred Power. A 7 is the 7th Unclean Power. A 19 is the 9th Sacred, etc.

Oh, I see.  With the charts labelled with a 1d10 I jumped to a conclusion.  Alright, so I should roll for a scroll and then if not a duplicate roll for price and decide whether to purchase or not, yes?

Also, what is the extra background you mentioned in the "The Road to Hell" thread?  Didn't see anything about that.

Yeah, sorry about that. The thing with rule-lite systems is they also tend to be light on proper organization and maintaining a proper "base" to work from. I like to have all my core stuff defined exactly, but I also really like "rulings over rules" so I'm fine explaining things and combing through rules as they come up. It's a give and take with these systems.

As for the process, you nailed it; roll d20 for specific scroll, if not a duplicate, then roll for price and choose to buy or not. I'd like to put a max of 5 scroll rolls, though, so you aren't cycling through the entire list. Vendors just don't have that many scrolls at a time.

I'm offering people, privately, an extra background once their character is basically finished. We'll tend to that once you've got everything recorded on your sheet.

• 2 weeks later...

Having difficulty maintaining forward momentum working on this character. Honestly not sure why, but i know it doesn't bode well for posting rate or even quality of posts so I need to remove myself from applying.

I really like the system/setting and, if I may, I'd like to stay on as a reader. Perhaps somewhere down the line if the opportunity is available I could try again.

No worries! Sometimes life's just funny like that. I appreciate you letting me know.

You are welcome to read along. I just realized I need to make it so you and Choomie can both read the in-character thread. This is the kind of system that I think introducing a new character to the mix won't be difficult. Just say the word and we'll figure it out.