Interlude 2: Fall 2947 T.A. - Winter 2947 T.A.

rogueblade0729

Music: Bree-land Serenade - LOTRO

Girdley Island - Fall 2947 T.A.

Hobbits_Fishing_at_Girdley_island_by_Guy_Brady.jpg

Amdiran found his stay at Girdley Island restful, despite how busy things seemed to be around him. The Rangers there were hastening back and forth, some rowing boats across the river to the island, while others set out into the wilds of Bree-land, forging new secret paths by which they could prepare the transport of materials with which they can build their refuge. None disturbed the young Ranger, though, as he walked among the trees in deep contemplation. Fallfyre's tent and meager belongings were right where she had left them. The spot that Bruta used to love sleeping in all day was bare and cold. The folk she had helped in one way or another asked after her upon seeing Amdiran, only to find equal measures of sorrow in that she may not be returning for some time. Such was sometimes the fate of those who wander, yet that did not mean Fallfyre was lost. Perhaps one day she would return, reunite in fellowship with the Company and the Rangers of Girdley Island.

Still, the quiet reminiscing did ease Amdiran's heart after a time. The pang of loss faded over time, and he found himself filled with renewed vigor and determination to carry out his duties when he decided to return to Bree and fulfill his obligation to Tomas.

@codexgigas

image.jpeg.58cec584ace6fca2468cb9f0e8a37e5c.jpegOrn, Son of Thain

Weaponmaster

HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes          Character Sheet

"Ye've done me a service, innkeeper.  I won't forget it." Orn replies, thinking about this shady character.  "Add tha cost o' his room ta me tab an' if'n he pays you, just keep it.  Add a week's more rent ta my room as well. Orn says, leaning back in his chair and taking a drink from his stein.  "If'n ye think o' anything else, please let me know. An', let's just keep this twixt ye an' me."

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Prudence Whitfoot (Hobbit Treasure Hunter 1)

AC: 15 | HP: 17/17| Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 13 | Investigation: 12 | Speed: 25 ft

Prudence goes about the towns around Bree hill visiting different hobbit families and asking about the pendant.  She bid Fletcher farewell; though she considered going with him to Girdley Island she respected his need for peace and privacy.  In the meantime, she sought out some distant relations and asked to stay with them, and failing that, arranged for lodgings at the Prancing Pony.

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir | Dunédain Warden 3
spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 22/22 | HD: 3/3d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

As he spends time among his people, Amdiran's heart begins to feel lighter within him. He still is troubled, but the days of rest make his troubles no more than those of any one of his wandering kindred. He breathes easily again for the first time since the summer. Gradually, Amdiran begins making inquiries about the bracer he found within the Old Troll's hoard. He does not suppose that its true owner will be at Girdley Island, as this would be too great a coincidence. However, he hopes that one of the Rangers will recognize it and point him toward its owner that he might return it in the future.

Music: Nice Rest in Staddle - LOTRO

Bree - Fall 2947 T.A.

greatsmial.PNG.e69ba6f5351a7dfac075bb811a783d90.PNG

Having returned safely to Bree after her first successful adventure, Prudence found the hustle and bustle of the town in autumn to be a welcoming sight. Once she had settled back in, she began the search for the owner of the copper figurine, with the initials 'T.F.' etched into the bottom. Her investigation took almost a week, but she eventually found herself in Staddle, the village of hobbits on the eastern side of Bree-hill. She found herself in the Lamplighter Inn, a modest but welcoming establishment. Unlike the Pony, this inn was more suitable for local Hobbits than any of the Big Folk or foreigners.

When she asked around for a "T.F.", one of the hobbit patrons perked up. "T.F.? Why, my word!" Heading over to Prudence's table was a finely-dressed, kindly, and outgoing gentlehobbit. He was young in appearance, no more than a decade beyond his tweens, but appeared to be the very model of well-to-do Hobbit civility.

albert.PNG.f673975b75d41eb0bb174cd4a159e18a.PNG

"Pardon me, ma'am, but may I ask why you inquire after a 'T.F'?"

@Grendel

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

Music: Bree-land Serenade - LOTRO

Girdley Island - Fall 2947 T.A.

Hobbits_Fishing_at_Girdley_island_by_Guy_Brady.jpg

Those more learned in lore in the camp near Girdley Island would happily aid Amdiran in researching the bracer he recovered from the Old Troll's hoard. They did not have access to the records found in the Library of Rivendell, but certain features of the engraved symbol were revealing enough. After a time, they guessed that it likely belonged to the house of a lesser lord of Arthedain. Hallas half-recognized it, and mentioned to seek after a captain named Hiraval, son of Hirgeleb. If he himself is not the one Amdiran seeks, he will most likely know more. Hiraval was last rumored to be patrolling the vale between the Weather Hills and the North Downs.

@codexgigas

2NWcQT9m.jpg

AC: 15 | HP: 17/17| Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 13 | Investigation: 12 | Speed: 25 ft

"Well, you see, I found this here trinket while out and about and wondered if it might belong to someone or their family," Prudence says after a moment's hesitation. She tried to remember her manners, a gentlehobbit of this sort was usually a stickler for such thing. She pulled out the pendant and showed it to him, casually keeping hold of it herself, however.

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir | Dunédain Warden 3
spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 22/22 | HD: 3/3d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 1 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Amdiran thanks Hallas for his help. At this point, he needs to return to Bree as he promised his companions he would. However, once their business with Tomas and his treasure map is over, the Ranger promises himself that he will journey to the Weather Downs to find Hiraval.

Amdiran spends the rest of his time in Girdley Island in contemplation, helping his kinsmen with simple tasks around the fledgling settlement. When the time comes for him to depart for Bree, his heart is much lighter within his chest.

Bree - Fall 2947 T.A.

greatsmial.PNG.e69ba6f5351a7dfac075bb811a783d90.PNG albert.PNG.f673975b75d41eb0bb174cd4a159e18a.PNG

"If you seek the owner, I'm afraid you are seventeen hundred years too late," the gentlehobbit answered, offering Prudence a merry look. "'T.F.' is a mark of high value to us Little Folk. It is the initials of old Trungo Fallohide, the chieftain of the first hobbits to settle in Bree! While it is still a hotly debated question as to who among the living are in fact his descendants, almost every personal item of his was marked thusly. We of the Bree Historical Society--not to be confused with our partners in the Colony, the Mathom Society of Michel Delving--had thought the collection complete! May I see this artefact?"

@Grendel

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

2NWcQT9m.jpg

"Yes, here," Prudence says passing the pendant over. She was intrigued despite herself about the story. "So there would be some sort of reward or finder's fee, I suppose?" she asked as he looked it over. A girl had to ask.

Bree - Fall 2947 T.A.

greatsmial.PNG.e69ba6f5351a7dfac075bb811a783d90.PNG albert.PNG.f673975b75d41eb0bb174cd4a159e18a.PNG

"A reward?" he asked, breaking his gaze away from the trinket. "Why, certainly! A treasure such as this is a rare find indeed. We are happy to compensate you for the finding and the delivery to our keeping." The hobbit looked her over. "A generous sum of coin awaits you, if that is your desire. But you seem the adventurous sort, unless I miss the mark. Perhaps you may wish for something more suitable to your profession?"

"Ah, and where are my manners?" He placed a hand above his waistline and bowed politely to Prudence. "Albert Undertree, at your service. May I ask your name?"

@Grendel

2NWcQT9m.jpg

"Prudence Whitfoot at yours," She says returning the bow in proper hobbit fashion. "What did you have in mind that would be 'more suitable'?, Mr. Undertree?" she asked, her curiosity dangerously piqued. She remained standing, as was the custom, sitting when he did as well.

Bree - Fall 2947 T.A.

"Ah, I am glad you asked!" the cheery fellow replied, sitting down at Prudence's table. Leaning in, almost conspiratorially, Albert continued, "We have in our possession some of the original walking sticks of our folk who first forayed from the East into Bree-land! Now, a stick may not seem of much worth for so priceless a trinket, but hear me out. The story of them may be of some interest to you.

"When our folk crossed the Misty Mountains along the High Pass, they came across some of the Fair Folk in trouble. Aye, you heard me right. Elves! It seemed that the goblins had laid a trap for them, and without help, they would meet a horrible fate. But the bows of our kin and the stoutness of their hearts drove the villains back into their caves, and spared the Elves from their whips and knives. As a token of thanks, the guides our kin were each granted solid walking sticks from freshly hewn ash trees. It is said that these sticks were made with a blessing to grant the user strength and wisdom while making long journeys. Aye, real Elf-magic!

"I'd say there's some merit to that story, for we still have the original walking sticks now, and they are as trusty and hardy as if they had been made yesterday. But if you're not the superstitious sort, perhaps you would prefer coin after all."

@Grendel

2NWcQT9m.jpg

"Let me see if I follow you," Prudence says not-quite-chidingly. "You have in your collection an original walking stick, as old perhaps as this pendant, one that has elf magic no less, and you are willing to part with it for this here pendant?" While the prospect of a magic walking stick certainly had its merits, her hobbit-sense was telling her it was too good to be true.

Bree - Fall 2947 T.A.

"You heard me right, Ms. Whitfoot," Albert answered. "Mind you, there were at least a baker's dozen of these walking sticks made, and almost all of them are now on display in our humble gallery. Your kin from the Colony have far more precious mathoms hanging up in your homes all the same! And I think, well, if you found me of your own intent and delivered me so precious a gift, I ought to do likewise. Who knows what else it might help you bring to the Historical Society? Besides, it'll do you more good than it'll do us, I reckon! But of course, if you are like a number of my fellows and do not believe in Elf-magic, we can give you good, honest coin instead."

@Grendel