Closed Game  ·  4 members  ·  Game Expectations

Bad Seeds

Ophelia Hovth; Half-Elven Orzhov Representative Cleric-Warlock

Rumrunner

Ophelia Maeve Hovth

Half-Elven Warlock

41876ec8ddc8c4788bb3c67df1e1ff58.jpg.94b83a7d7722af0529e3625b47d85c73.jpg.bf17a320e122d1fcda20fa0f1236d199.jpg.31510951dcc6cc938a3f22e8915b8600.jpg

Vitals

Race: Half-Elf

Class: Cleric 1 / Warlock 9

Background: Orzhov Representative

Height: 5'8 / 172cm

Weight: 132lbs / 60kg

Religion: Orzhova, The Church of Deals

Alignment: Private

Languages: Common, Elvish, Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic

Vice: Greed

Personality

I am always willing to act in accordance with the financial incentive offered.

I am accustomed to enjoying the finest pleasures money can buy.

Ideal
Stability. The economy functions best when chaos is kept under control and everyone knows their place.
Bonds

I'm duty-bound to obey the dictates of an ancestor on the Ghost Council.

Flaw

I have little respect for anyone who isn't wealthy.

Character Sheet

Str 13, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 14

AC: 17 | HP: 73/73 | Passive Perception: 19 | Init: +2 | Saves: Str +1, Dex +2, Con +3, Int +3, Wis +9, Cha +6

Proficient Skills: Religion +7, History +7, Investigation +11, Insight +9, Perception+9, Deception +6, Intimidation +6. Persuasion +6

Spell Attack: +11 | DC: 19 | Spell Slots: I:4  II:3  III:2

Race

Half-elf
• Darkvision. Thanks to your elven heritage, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

• Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Languages. You can read, speak, and write Common, Elven, and one language of your choice.

• Versatility. You gain proficiency in 2 skills 

Class Abilities

CLERIC

Voice of Authority:  You can invoke the power of law to embolden an ally to attack. If you cast a spell with a spell slot of 1st level or higher and target an ally with the spell, that ally can use their reaction immediately after the spell to make one weapon attack against a creature of your choice that you can see.

If the spell targets more than one ally, you choose the ally who can make the attack.

WARLOCK

Pact of the Tome: Book of Shadows Spell

Patron Spells: You always have your patron spells prepared(see spellbook) and you can cast one of these spells for free, daily.

Dark One's Blessing: When you reduce an enemy to 0 HP or an enemy drops to 0 HP within 5ft of you, you gain temp HP equal to your spellcasting ability mod + your warlock level.

Dark One's Own Luck: When making an ability check or saving throw, you can add 1d10.  You can do this after the roll, but before any effects occur.  You can use this feature a number of time equal to your spell casting modifier per long rest.

Feats

Level 4: Telekinetic

Invocation: Skill Expert

Level 8: Fey Touched

Eldritch Invocations

Repelling Blast
Misty Visions
Lessons of the First Ones: Feat
Mystic Arcanum: Telekinesis
Mystic Arcanum: Disintegrate

Spells Prepared

Cantrips: Book of Shadows(W), Eldritch Blast(W), Guidance(T), Thaumaturgy(T), Mage Hand(F), Toll the Dead (C) Mending(C), Spare the Dying(C) Message(W), Prestidigitation(W), Shocking Grasp(W)

1st Level: Hex(W), Detect Magic(T), Comprehend Languages(T), Burning Hands(P), Command(P/D), Silent Image(I), Bless(F), Magic Missile(W), Protection from Good and Evil(W), Shield(W), Hellish Rebuke(W), Heroism(D)

2nd Level: Scorching Ray(P), Suggestions(P), Misty Step(F), Blindness/Deafness, Web

3rd Level: Fear(P), Stinking Cloud(P), Counter Spell, Haste

5th Level: Telekinesis(MA)

6th Level: Disintegrate(MA)

* (C)Cleric, (D) Domain, (W)Warlock Class, (T)Pact of the Tome, (P)Patron Spells, (F) Feat, (I) Invocation, (MA)Mystic Arcanum

Setting of Origin: Ravnica

Appearance

Regal, poised, calculating, deliberate, Ophelia does what it takes to cultivate the impression of control, wealth and power.  Her amassed hair, a carefully arranged coil of robe like braids, bound with gold bands sits atop her head almost like a slanted hat.  Her keen golden eyes are lines with black, with golden drops and golden flakes as freckles to decorate her milk chocolate cheeks. She is beautiful, but it would be more accurate to say she wields it, than flaunts it, just one more tool in her arsenal.  Even when in less formal settings her attire is immaculate, yet appropriate. Her gaze is sharp, accented by her elfin heritage, it is clear that she misses little, and likely logging it all, just in case it could be useful at a later date.

Backstory

In Ravnica she was born Maeve Hovel to guildless and penniless parents, clearly there was some elven blood in the mix, but who knew where.  Of her six siblings she was the second born and took care of the most of them.  It was not long before she came to the realization that money, or rather lack thereof, was the root of their plight.  Their father had taken on quite a bit of debt with the Church of Deals, and when they came to collect it was always she who was sent to face them.  At seven she was learning the art of excuses, defense's, lies and deals... why he wasn't there, why they couldn't search the place, why, when, where, what color and everything in between.  Beyond that she worked with the Cult of Rakdos to make ends meet, feed her family and keep the interest on the family debt covered.

What nobody expected was for the Orzhov Representatives to take her as payment.  In truth she went willingly and never looked back, except maybe with scorn.  She learned the art of the deal and studied the Guildpact incessantly, looking for loopholes.  It became clear that there were few except for the Ghost council, so she accepted that Pacts were a form of strength to be used.  To that end she made one with a fiend, one she knew of in rumors from her youth that took a ritual of blood and gold, a pact of greed.  She changed her name to Ophelia Maeve Hovth. 

To her credit she used her powers as a Orzhov Represtative herself, at the behest of her guild she did what she was told, until she had the power to be the one to do the telling.  The Guildpact spoke only of being fair to the other guilds, but when half the city was guildless, there was lots of room to maneuver.  She made money, she hosted parties, she had people killed, even has several debt slaves, and ghost slaves.  Her connections ran deep within the syndicate, and she wanted more and more.  Until she found herself staring out over the city night, wealth and power were hers, as were any number of daggers poised to draw blood should she even flinch.

All she could do was study the planes, to find a way out around the guildpact, around her own pact, without giving up power... then came the offer and perhaps an opportunity to save this world of Angels and Demons... and with luck, her soul.

Personality

Despite having made quite a success out of herself, Ophelia's never lost her hustle.  She loves pulling one over on someone and getting the better end of a deal more than most anything.  She hates being patronized, and while can come across as arrogant, she tries to do right by people, even the little people, like you.  She can be kinda an generous, but it's always calculated, never enough to put her out unless she expects that it will buy more valuable goodwill for the future.  As easily as getting along with others she can rub them the wrong way, and is skilled at both.  She respects drive and intelligence, in that order and by a very wide margin.  A relentless capitalist she will say that she follows the golden rule: she who has the gold makes the rules.  Secretly, she's a good person and harbors guilt from abandoning her family and honestly would love to find another way, but doesn't believe there is one...  "If you don't seize power, someone else will, and will hold it over you."

Quirks: Cleans and organizes when uncomfortable... or because they're done wrong.
Goals: To Win, ie to be rid of her pact but maintain the power, or at least renegotiate it again(leveling), immortality
Fears: Becoming Poor, loss of status and power.
Likes: Hustling, pacts and contracts, trashy romance novels, fashion, mysteries, winning, birds.
Dislikes: Loosing, dirt, disorder, poor grammar, being patronized, reptiles.
Hobby: Reading, shopping, people watching
Scent: Cinnamon, vanilla, citrus, parchment.

Additional Notes

Build wise, support, shutdown and control.  She's here to help, and this is even  pro bono, because well her soul is needing appraisal. 

Wishlist

Rod of the Pact Keeper +99
Molton Bronze Skin +??
Dimensional Shackles
Professor Orb
Rod of Security
Shield of pretentiousness +??
Bottomless Purse
Ghost servants, ooo maybe the professor is a ghost?
immovable rod, stubborn. 
A money tree? maybe not, that sounds dirty.
an outfit, one that's actually lots of outfits.
fancy earings
a platinum card
magic scales and/or gavel
Compulsion stick.
gold hairrings?
an ostentatious display of wealth and power, but also still pragmatic to show that I'm really down to earth and completely relatable to all the plebeians.
some pact making tools, like fansay inks and monogramed notepads, etc.
All the rituals... like all of them, get in my belly, no my book of shadows, try again Tome of Law
A bowl of oranges.

?

Build Plan - Warlock1 Cleric
2 Warlock
3 Warlock
4 Warlock
5 Warlock
6 Warlock
7 Warlock
8 Warlock
9 Warlock
10 Warlock
11 Warlock
12 Warlock
13 Warlock

Nothing fancy here, will keep picking up mystic arcana with invocations for more spells, and at level 13, take my level 12 feat, or I could take a second level in Cleric If that seemed like a better fit...

Name
First
repeat(keep(reroll(4d6,1,below),highest,3),6) 5,4,1,5,6,4,5,6,3,2,5,4,1,6,5,2,3,5,3,3,5,6,2,3,4,6
Second
repeat(keep(reroll(4d6,1,below),highest,3),6) 5,6,2,2,4,5,1,4,3,2,2,2,6,4,2,1,5,4,5,3,5,3,6,1,4,4,1,3

Ah... So... concepts in need of redemption:

1. Arms dealer (Artificer)

2. Lawyer criminal/corporate (Bard of Eloquence)

3. Seductress Spy Assassin (Rogue/Monk)

4. Arcane Experimentation (Wizard Chronurgist)

Name
roll maybe? What does destiny say
1d4 2

@DarkAngel A few questions:

1. What level do we start at? 10?

2. Are you allowing any UA material? Specifically the new playtest stuff for warlocks, specifically the ability to choose different spell-casting abilities for them. 

3. Is there any specific material that is banned? Looking specifically at ravnica or strixhaven setting material?  I see wildemount echo knight in play, what about blood wizards etc from the me setting? I'm assuming we can mix setting stuff, though not sure if that needs approval.

4. Do we have to be from a d&d specific setting, or can we use a made up world? 

DA @Rumrunner answers 1 - 4

1. build to 10... find out after the cut if you are 10 - 13... tbd
  2. Yes
  3. Stick to the setting you choose, some things are universal... others are setting specific. My advice, go with your gut and build something appropriate.
  4. I'd prefer D&D setting... you could be from any realm... like the Githyanki city on the Astral plane !

Thank you for your answers so far, one more quick bit:

Will this game be more: combat, skill challenge, exploration or roleplay?  Either expected approximate percentages or rankings of importance would be fine.  Just want to make sure I'm filling a niche that's relevant. 

Its a big sandbox... so I'll be basing the adventures around the characters that are in play, and what dynamics unfold.

So don't worry about any niches 😁 Just create the type of character you will enjoy rping for the long term.

She's not built powerfully, though I would like to reserve the right to amend spells if they prove redundant.  I also really want to try out this new warlock.  If you need more details please feel free in asking, I kept it all pretty short, but can elaborate.

No spell amending !!!... you can gain spells in the adventure as appropriate.

Your spell choice looks ok to me 👀

@Rumrunner Wonderous items gained

• Bag of devouring
  • Ghost lantern
  • Shiftweave - six outfits including earrings...
    - legendary white leather +3, last stand armor (now +4)
    - molten bronze skin +2
  • Rod of the Pact Keeper +2
  • Ring of temporal salvation
  • Professor Orb... tba

Edited by DarkAngel (see edit history)