1. A Ship With No Sea

Sirdi

As you heroes walk the path given to you by a small flyer, you take a quick glimpse at it.

"The Almendrud Academy of Archeology is in search of helpful adventurers for an exploration! Pay is 500 gold per adventurer."

It sounds like an ordinary job. Guide a few archeologists through their desired region, in search of some ruins. Nothing too unknown. A few hours into your journey, however ... as you near the distant tower known as Archeologicus Post, you do see something beyond your idea of normal. Hanging on the side of the tower, chained to it and yet ... a float, a large, full-sized ship. It has no water underneath, nothing. It is simply a floating vessel! And it is ... marvelous. The closer you get, the more marvelous it seems. What a ride this will be!

Raith Reaver - Devil Warlockspacer.png

AC: 14 | HP: 31/31 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 13 | Darkvision: 60', Devil's Sight: 120'

Raith enjoys traveling to the Academy with his friends, some old and some new. He is intrigued by the flyer but is afraid this job might be a little boring. But when he sees the ship floating in the air, he changes his mind, and thinks that we definitely should make sure we get a ride on it. This should be interesting. It would be nice to fly without having to work.

He approaches the tower with the others, a new spring in his step.

"Well, I've never seen that before."

Having lived for over 500 years, he's always excited to see something new.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Features

Hit Dice: 4/4d8

Spell Slots, 2nd: 2/2 SR

Disguise Self: 1/1 LR

Invisibility: 1/1 LR

Hellish Rebuke: 1/1 LR

Eris HP: 10/10

Darkvision 60'
Winged One: Flying Speed 30', 60' height
Devil: Devil's sight 120'
Resistance to poison and fire
Advantage on saves vs. poison
Resist nonmagical BPS except silvered
Adv on saves vs spells and magical effects
You are a fiend
Vulnerability to silver
Vulnerability to radiant damage

Ross Godae

AC : 16 | HP : 42/42 | Initiative : +4 | Passive Perception : 14 | Darkvision : 90'

Prowling ahead has its advantages, in this case having come close enough to see the tower and its odd accessory ship first. It's quite the sight to see something like that hanging in the air. It was certainly going to make passing through the locale of spirits a different experience, he would have to decide how and which to propriate! He composes himself from an eager grin, the promise of good gold and good company had been inducement enough to travel here - but now, this! He solemnly tilts his head, twitching ear giving away his game, as he considers his friend's reactions.

Raith, that old and young soul, spoke first, of course. "I wonder that anyone has. Passing strange to sail the sky." Godae replied, starting walking again, only a step or two ahead now, and though his eyes rove the land and oft return to the ship, he still listens intently.

Edited by Morhgor (see edit history)

Lorelei

AC : 17 | HP : 34/34 | Initiative : +3 | Passive Perception : 13 | Darkvision : 60' | Morph : Legs | Condition : Normal

Lorelei has been traveling with company to the tower for some time now. She was surprised that others that she had met, along with some new faces, were also heading to the tower for this job mentioned on the flyer. While the friends were great company, and the gold would be helpful, she made sure she didn't forget what truly brought her out of the seas.

Upon seeing the ship, she couldn't help but audibly gasp in shock and awe at the ship. She commented to Ross and Raith, "I've only seen such a sight underwater. I'm not sure if I should be excited or concerned..."

She then shook her head and looked around.

Daniel had to be around here somewhere...

Reliable Jack

AC : 16 | HP : 35/35 | Initiative : +0 | Passive Perception : 13

Jack was regaling the group with a story to pass time on their trek, all about monkeys on rooftops flying kites and how it’s a wonder they got the coordination not to tangle with each other. He cuts himself off when the others point out the tower and the vessel.

His eager eyes gleam and glitter, ogling every inch of the ship he can make out with this distance.

Truly breathtaking. A body that looks like it’s in motion, even when standing still. Maybe it is bobbing around. Maybe it’s a trick of the light and the clouds. He squints to better take it in, but it doesn’t help.

“I’ve never imagined what a ship would look like when viewed from underneath. My word, that is huge! How many people do you think fits inside it?” How he longed to bounce on its shapely underbelly. It’s a shame those curves are oft unseen.

While Oakwynd enjoys travelling longs for it even. He hates travelling on the water. There is just something about having loamy soil beneath his often-bare feet. The smell of the decay of forests, these are what he longed for in his travels. Oakwynd came to understand sailing would be needed, but this was unacceptable, unnatural even. Why would a ship be floating! Do the expect me to get on that thing? Even in his owl form, a form he rarely used, Oakwynd stayed close to the ground, to what was familiar.

"I...I...I don't think I want to go on this trip anymore..." Oakwynd stuttered in his gravelly voice. "Ships on water are bad enough, why is that floating there? Are we getting on that...thing!" He stated load enough for everyone to hear, though he was talking to himself.

Raith Reaver - Devil Warlockspacer.png

AC: 14 | HP: 31/31 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 13 | Darkvision: 60', Devil's Sight: 120'

Raith listens to the others speak about the ship with the same awe as him...except Oakwynd. The druid is obviously hesitant to experience life to the fullest. We'll have to work on his sense of adventure.

He can't seem to get the smile off his face. Nothing has intrigued him this much in several lifetimes.

"Oh, come on, Oakwynd. How bad can it be? Let's see if we can figure out how it works."

Although it's easy for Raith to be nonchalant about flying since he has his own wings and was taught how to use them even before he ever became a true devil.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Features

Hit Dice: 4/4d8

Spell Slots, 2nd: 2/2 SR

Disguise Self: 1/1 LR

Invisibility: 1/1 LR

Hellish Rebuke: 1/1 LR

Eris HP: 10/10 (+40' swim, my BA to attack, magic attack, +5 to hit, 1d4+3 piercing, 3d6 poison, DC14 Con for 1/2, my Rx to halve damage)

Darkvision 60'
Winged One: Flying Speed 30', 60' height
Devil: Devil's sight 120'
Resistance to poison and fire
Advantage on saves vs. poison
Resist nonmagical BPS except silvered
Adv on saves vs spells and magical effects
You are a fiend
Vulnerability to silver
Vulnerability to radiant damage

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

Lorelei

AC : 17 | HP : 34/34 | Initiative : +3 | Passive Perception : 13 | Darkvision : 60' | Morph : Legs | Condition : Normal

While many would either laugh or groan at such a pun, Lorelei didn't give any reactions to the pun. Instead she raised an eyebrow and she asked the druid, "Didn't you mention at some point that fungi send spores into the air, so they can go somewhere else? Or am I not remembering that correctly?"

She looked at the ship and then looked around again for any sign of Daniel or any other sign of someone keep watch for adventurers who were answering the call.

spacer.png Kan Sun

As the ship came into view Sun's eyes widen and she stopped a moment. She had seen many sights since leaving Busai but this was a new one on her. Sort of, she'd dove under many a boat playing in the sea but she'd never seen expected to do so with her feet on the ground. How did it float? Was it something about the wood, some internal contrivance? The young woman did not know and was glad as she often was that the brightly colored mask she word hid her reaction from casual observation. You could never be too careful in a city.

"I suppose if that were to fall while we traveled upon it we would all perish?" She commented at last rather morbidly.

Ross Godae

AC : 16 | HP : 42/42 | Initiative : +4 | Passive Perception : 14 | Darkvision : 90'

A mix of trepidation and anticipation from his friends has Ross smiling again as he keeps a check on the path ahead, the claws on his feet scraping the stones as he restrains his urge to bound ahead.

"This could be the first ship dashed on a forest or field, yet those fetching up against rocks in their seahome rarely fare well. Besides, there is less in the sky to contact but for mountains, and those clouds with silver linings. Never fret, hunters and spirits of the sky will avail us. "

He pauses and looks back, golden eyes sparkling. What did he know of whatever mechanisms kept it up, anyway?

"Or it will be quick. I hope."

Edited by Morhgor (see edit history)

You arrive at the base of the large stone tower, with all types of what seem to be mechanical bits and cogs up the walls, all connecting and heading upwards, either near the ship or connecting to the ship itself. The door to the tower is large and made of two individual wooden blocks, expertly carved. Upon walking up to the door, it immediately opens, revealing a human man, around mid-thirties, who looks almost scarily gaunt. His face is old and wrinkled, with his body a mess of skin and bones. And yet, his eyes flicker with joy and intellect. His white shirt, vest and pants have oil and soot over them, with his twirled mustache being the only clean bit of his whole persona. On his back, you just now see, a metal contraption, almost a backpack of sorts, with appendages extending from it. Around 6 or so gloved hands, all holding on to something different.

Lorelei, you recognize this man, though it has been some time since you've last met, as Daniel Harding.

Lorelei

Lorelei blinks rapidly upon seeing the man she recognized. She could see how terrifyingly gaunt and soiled he looked, and yet his eyes expressed joy and intellect. He had clearly grown and thrived despite his appearance.

She cleared her throat and she proceeded to greet him ahead of the group, "Daniel? Daniel Harding?"

She greeted him once she had his attention, "It's been years since we last met. I see you're doing well. Do you remember me?"

She then got to the point, "We're here to help out with the exploration as adventurers,"

Reliable Jack

AC : 16 | HP : 35/35 | Initiative : +0 | Passive Perception : 13

"Let it all out. I admit, it is a bit of a bummer but we can inquire about those concerns later. Someone who knows better could put some of them to rest." Odds are, the hull wouldn't be as soft nor springy as he imagined, but Jack still keeps his gravity-defying aspirations. As for Oakwynd's discomfort, he wonders if there is anything he can do to make this easier for him. Now that he mentioned about hitching a ride on birds, Jack adds it to his bucket list.

If Oakwynd voices his desire to stay close to the ground, Jack would follow a line of thinking of a comfort blanket. Perhaps he could carry a bag or pail of dirt and have a shifted Oakwynd, to a fat sand rat or a crab, in it.

Upon reaching the foot of the tower, Jack still can't take his eyes off the floating miracle. The mechanics that support it make it feel more real. Jack shudders as he hears gears rattle and whine. When he turns to greet who welcomed them, he finds himself spooked, taken aback. The man's silhouette was broken by extra appendages, carrying a myriad of things. He had a deathly pallor, strong jaw, prominent nose, sunken cheeks, and bloodshot eyes. More so, his eyes do look red. After composing himself, he takes a better look at the bespectacled and mustachioed fellow before them.

"Greetings! My, is that door completely silent. I guess everything here is well-oiled and smooth functioning." Jack smiles with his eyes and offers a handshake, with hopes that contraption would react somehow.