Michaelmas Term 2007 - History (Ancient and Modern)

Knave

ynu3uIU.jpgSophie

○ the Monstrous 

Stats

Harm: ●●○ / ○○○○

Unstable:

Luck:  ○○○○○○○

Exp:  ○○○○○

Moves

Unnatural Appeal

Dark Negotiator

Immortal

Unquenchable Vitality

IC

Sophie gives Hal a weak smile, the kind one gives a confused child or elder. She doesn't mean to be patronizing, but the truth will always be the truth. "Come here, Hal. You look like death three times over. Might be you'd scare these people out of here, but I think we'd be wantin' them calm. Let me have a crack at them before bloody Hal and his flamin' sword put the fright into them," she says, while giving him a friendly pat on the shoulder.

She then approaches Reverend Smith and whispers, "We need to get these people out of here, without causin' a panic. You ask David and he'll tell you."

Without waiting for a response, Sophie then hurries up the aisle toward the dais, her pace increasing as the smell of smoke reaches her nose. Stepping up to the lectern, she clears her throat and then addresses the masses in a strong tone that carries through the ancient space. "Ladies and gentlemen, I would invite you all to now kindly file outside the cathedral. There will be a procession and a blessing in the name of St. Fiacre, during which time the doors will remain closed. After all is readied, we will return for the morning vigil," she announces.

OOC

Let's first Manipulate the reverend. Then the whole place.

Name
Manipulate Rev
2d6+3 4,3
Manipulate Everyone
2d6+3 3,3

The Reverend looks a little surprised, but a brief glance at David for confirmation is all she needs to give a terse nod. Sophie's blatant lie causes her to open her mouth but she doesn't seem very assertive and she lets it slide.

The congregation looks at Sophie blankly. Most have been up all night, or else roused in the small hours by the commotion around the murder. She sees they will need a more physical cue to go along with this sudden request, and sets off up the aisle. One by one, they stand up and start to follow.

But when Sophie reaches the main door, she finds it closed. The handle won't turn. It's locked, but something more than that. It seems not to move a millimeter in its frame as she pulls at it.

The smoke by now is a little more perceptible, and a worried murmur grows behind her as a few of the more astute or awake start to catch on to the danger.

ynu3uIU.jpgSophie

○ the Monstrous 

Stats

Harm: ●●○ / ○○○○

Unstable:

Exp:  ○○○○○

Moves

Unnatural Appeal

Dark Negotiator

Immortal

Unquenchable Vitality

IC

Sophie gives the doors a solid shove and furrows her brow when they don't move. She quickly looks about for another way out or a means to force the doors.

OOC

Let's Read a Bad Situation. "What's my best way out?"

Edited by emotionaut (see edit history)
Name
Read a Bad Situation
2d6 3,4

This is magic, an imprisonment curse or something. Given you saw a door behind the altar sticking in a similar way, it's a fair bet there's no way out right now. You need to break the curse with magic of your own.

OOC

Sophie gets +1 to get people out

The crowd is getting agitated. "Fire?" suggests someone, with some uncertainty.

Edited by Knave (see edit history)

Annika-removebg-preview.png.872abac25589690f6cf16f8da4ecdd12.png°φ←ζ Aηηika, hΣ HΣx ζ→φ•°

Conditions: Persuaded Chaperone (+1 forward to protect Sophie & David), Heated Situation (+1 to find, fight, and help escape the fire.)

Stats: Charm +2, Cool +0, Sharp +0, Tough -1, Weird +2

Harm: ●●○/○○○○

Unstable:

Luck:  ○○○○○○

Exp:  ●●●○○

Temptation: Power

Moves & Gear

Bad Luck Charm

Cast the Bones

Sympathetic Token

Force of Will

Rotes:

Leeching Enchantment

Gear:

Athame

Staff

Annika scans over the interior of the church, looking for any signs of trouble. Being dragged to church as a child had made her a natural at tuning out sermons and prayers, and using those skills, she picked up on the sound of someone banging against wood. 

Then she spotted the smoke. “Shit…” She swears and looks to the others that had joined her, “We have trouble. Unless someone has fired up the after-church  way too early, there’s a fire. Down there.” She points, and Sophie doesn’t hesitate for a second. She empathetically recognizes the dazed state of Hal who had offered to herd the sheep out of the burning barn and steps up to do it herself. 

For her part, Annika was already moving towards the hatch that belched smoke from below when Sophie attempted to open the front door. A quick call of her name pulls Ana’s attention back towards Sophie and redirects her pathing. Seriøst? Yeah, I will take care of it. Just like - I don’t know - distract them.” She mutters. “If you think fire will start a panic, casting magic will really be hard for them to accept.”

She steps to the door and places her hands flat against the wood. She tries her best to make it appear as if she is merely fiddling with the lock, with her back facing most of the civilians. Touching the wood directly, she can feel the magic barring their way as it propagates through the weathered grains. It feels ancient, like petrified centipedes chewing their way through the wood. She is unsure if an amateur witch like herself is capable of counteracting such old magic, but something about those ‘chewing centipedes’ almost feels familiar. Not the magic itself, but the intention when it was cast. For some reason it reminded her of the feeling she got when riding in a vehicle that was the same make and model of her father’s — like she had been ‘in’ it many times before, yet it is older, and the mechanics that make it ‘go’ are slightly different than what she is used to. The young witch begins to mutter in a low voice, reciting a rhyme to focus her intentions. 

“In shadows deep and moonlight bright, 

Remove this spell of ancient might. 

Unwoven threads, barred no more,

Open now, and forevermore…

…ᚴᛅᚾᛏᚱᛁᛁᚦ! (gandreið)”

“It’s open, go!” She commands while jerking her head back towards the door where there had been an outpouring of smoke. She had heard banging within. Does it mean someone is trapped? Or is that the creature, hoping to shed a little blood before burning its victims alive? “There might be someone trapped...” She says, looking back to Hal and Ekram with an uncertain expression. “…or it’s that thing.”

OoC

Using my Force of Will ability to dispel! I think my +1 ongoing to help escape the fire will apply here but let me know if I’m wrong. Not sure if my +1 to help protect David and Sophie will apply too, so I’m just gonna leave that out.

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)
Name
Force of Will (Weird)
2d6+3 5,3

Annika speaks a word of command and the door flies open so hard that the ancient timbers crack and burst again the walls outside.

There is a wordless scream of fury and the barrowwight erupts out of the stone floor in the middle of the crowd. The flames that perpetually sear its desiccated flesh are no longer dark, but a roaring orange inferno of heat. The surrounding pews start to smolder.

The congregation yell and shout and rush through the exit, but the monster grabs one young man by the wrist. You can hear and smell his flesh burning away as he writhes and screams in the creature's grasp.

In Brief

spacer.pngEkram

The Wronged

Stats: Charm +1, Cool +0, Sharp +1, Tough +2, Weird -1

Harm: ○○ / ○○○○

Unstable: 

Luck:  ●●●●●●

Exp:  ●●○○○

Playbook Moves

I Know My Prey

DIY Surgery

Never Again!

Trust Your Gut (alt Weird)

Invincible

Through the Fire and Flames

Having refused the painkillers offered up by the A&E, Ekram is more stoic and somber at the vigil than usual. The pain in his throat is a dull aching throb at this point, but it's constant and thus more annoying than the bright, sharp pain for earlier. He moves among the people, listening in on murmured conversations as the others seek out the potential danger. The mention of smoke is enough to pique his interest and then Sophie's efforts, formidable as they are, are met with an unnatural obstacle. Again all eyes turn to Annika and again she steps up to meet the demand, her magic reverberating off the walls of the place with the power is commands. The response is immediate, and terrifying, as the viking zombie leaps through the floor in search of continued vengeance.

"Back to it, then." The words are a weak growl, but no amount of pain or exhaustion can keep him back from an opportunity to kill just one more ghul bastard. He shoves through the crowd, literally shouldering people aside to get to the monster and the man he's laying into. Throwing his arms around the zombie's shoulders, he heaves with all the force his muscles can muster to try and separate it from the victim.

"Hal, head out of clouds and sword into hand!"

OOC Stuff

Okay, gonna make a roll on this Protect to try and get the option to take less Harm cause this thing hits like a truck. No such luck, but it is a success so I'll take it.

Protect Someone

Edited by DoNotFearToTread
Forgot I healed 1 at the A&E (see edit history)
Name
Protect Someone
2d6+3 3,1

Ekram tackles the flaming corpse to the ground, dislodging its victim, who sprints through the exit without a backwards glance. The rest of the society watch aghast as Ekram is engulfed in the unnatural flames.

OOC

Ekram takes three harm and is on fire.

spacer.png
spacer.png

⛤᛭⛤ Stats ⛤᛭⛤

Harm: ○○ / ○○○○

Unstable:

Exp:  ○○○○

Moves

Cast Out Evil

Lay on Hands

No Limits

Smite

IC

Hal grins at Sophie's reproach, agreeing and frankly relieved he won't have to speak in Welsh of any kind to scare people. Language is too pretty for that. If he were a proper Methodist, maybe, he'd just make it up as he went along, proper glossolalia, but unfortunately none of that matters now. What matters now is that there's a real fire. Or at least, a divine one.

As the barrow wight reappears and ensnares a victim, Hal puts his hand out and obeys Ekram without a second thought, summoning forth the sword in a rivulet of flesh squishing into the flaming sword of ancient Britonnic make.

"Let him go, you angstly ol' bastard. One more emo cliche and I'll have your head."

And then he moves into action.

OOC

Kick Some Ass

Ongoing condition: +1 to avoid the cops, because now Hal doesn't talk to pigs either

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)
Name
Kick Some Ass
2d6+2 6,6

Hal can already see the hole he made in the chest of this thing, which didn't seem to finish it off before. But this time the sword seems to have other ideas; it slices through the smoke-filled air, the keen edge leaving barely a ripple in the dancing gray strands. Hal feels no resistance to the swing, but the of you see the barrowwight's head - the head of a man who was murdered right here a thousand years ago - tumble off and strike the cathedral floor.

The flames explode.

OOC

Hal takes 3 Harm ignore armour and is On Fire

Ekram takes 2 Harm ignore armour and is On Fire

The others all take 1 Harm.

Annika-removebg-preview.png.872abac25589690f6cf16f8da4ecdd12.png°φ←ζ Aηηika, hΣ HΣx ζ→φ•°

Conditions: Persuaded Chaperone (+1 forward to protect Sophie & David)

Stats: Charm +2, Cool +0, Sharp +0, Tough -1, Weird +2

Harm: ●●●/○○○

Unstable:

Exp:  ●●●○○

Temptation: Power

Moves & Gear

Bad Luck Charm

Cast the Bones

Sympathetic Token

Force of Will

Rotes:

Leeching Enchantment

Gear:

Athame

Staff

Annika’s surprise and excitement from successfully dispelling magic immediately changes to surprise and horror when the wight bursts from the floor with deadly intent. “Oh f*ck!” Her shout is quickly followed by a wave of exhaustion from the expulsion of magical energy. Her eyes roll backward and she sways on her feet for a second. “Oh f*ck…” Thankfully, she is able to pull it together thanks to adrenaline fueling her consciousness. But, before she can jump into action, Ekram and Hal — those holy warriors — are already on top of the creature. 

Even with the heat from the flames blowing her hair back, Annika cannot stifle the shiver caused from watching Hal summon that flesh borne blade. But his use of the sword is masterful, especially with Ekram’s sacrifice of holding the burning wight in place. With one clean slice the being that had caused so much anguish and death, similarly born from such, meets its end. 

The following blast nearly knocks the young Witch on her rear end. The searing heat scorches her skin and causes her to whimper in pain. But she is alive. For that, she can be thankful. Others were not so lucky. She can only hope Hal and Ekram were not among those less fortunate souls. “Ekram! Hal!” She shouts out desperately, trying to blink away the spots of blindness caused by the sudden flare of light. She is already preparing a healing spell in a worried, shaking voice as she sprints over. 

OoC

Apparently I need to spec into heals! Casting healing magic on whoever looks the worst off.

I will take the 1-harm as my glitch, making me unstable.

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)
Name
Use Magic - Heal
2d6+2 4,1

As Annika summons the power to mend the worst of the burns, the corpse of the slain Viking is rapidly decomposing. The smoke continues to thicken in the close air of the Cathedral.

In Brief

spacer.pngEkram

The Wronged

Stats: Charm +1, Cool +0, Sharp +1, Tough +2, Weird -1

Harm: ●●● / ○○○

Unstable: 

Luck:  ●●●●●○○

Exp:  ●●○○○

Playbook Moves

I Know My Prey

DIY Surgery

Never Again!

Trust Your Gut (alt Weird)

Invincible

Through the Fire and Flames

The flames eat through jacket, shirt and skin with surprising ease and the flare of pain only makes him latch on tighter. The creature squirms and thrashes against his grip, and then the blade is flashing through the air and Ekram plants a foot in the monster's back and kicks him into Hal's swing. Falling back and away from the flames, Ekram stumbles over a bit of the scattered furniture and rolls over it, shielded from the worst of the blast. He hits the ground and rolls, trying to get further from the source of his agony and smother the flames. He ends up on his back, smoldering but no longer alight.

"One week of no suffering is too much to ask." He groans against the pain in his arms and chest, reaching up to touch the side of his head where the hair has burned away. Waving Annika in Hal's direction, he lurches up to sitting and then doubles over to the side as his stomach, largely holding only Doc's booze and some hospital graham crackers, empties itself onto the floor. "One minute. Just need...one..." Slumping back, he sucks in smoke filled air and weighs his energy reserves against what it would take to crawl out the door and away from this inferno.

OOC Stuff

Spend a Luck point to prevent the last damage and immolation.

Edited by DoNotFearToTread (see edit history)

spacer.png

The Reverend Dr. David Beaumont, Professor Emeritus Sheet

Luck □ □ □ □ □ □

Harm ■ ■ □ | □ □ □ □

Experience  ■ ■ □ □

The younger folk had been quicker to react than David, and he was lucky for it. But David knows something that they don't; where the fire extinguishers are kept.

With the drauger defeated and gone, he makes a sprint (or as close as he can mange) for one. Because the first priority is always to save the congregation, of course. A church is its people, more than a building.

But saving the building, too, sure would be nice.

He'll pass the first few fire extinguishers he can lay hands on to willing volunteers - the other members of the Society if possible, but they've already done more than enough if not - keeping only the last one he knows of for himself.

Name
Act Under Pressure (+Cool)
2d6+1 4,1

spacer.png
spacer.png

⛤᛭⛤ Stats ⛤᛭⛤

Harm: ●●● / ○○○

Unstable:

Exp:  ○○○○

Moves

Cast Out Evil

Lay on Hands

No Limits

Smite

IC

He just had to threaten to take the damn thing's head.

He doesn't register the flames at first, just a thin feeling of discomfort and a tightening of skin as it figures out what to do with itself. Only the flickering lights that destroy his shadow but reflect on the floor indicate the truth, and he realizes the draugr's final action was to catch flame and that included him. Hal is on fire.

Oh shit, Hal is on fire.

Ripping his flannel off with a scream and dropping his sword, he begins to beat the flannel on the ground, then stomping on it, to put out the flame, then uses the flannel to put out the fire on his shirt and jeans and body. Holes develop quickly and he begins to look like a slightly toasted Gap model on layaway. His skin charred in places, now a bright pink, once the flames die away the real pain begins. The burning is deep, the pain running almost to his bones, and he feels as if parts of him are going to whelp up soon. While he does not vomit from the pain, the involuntary shaking and the lack of mental capacity begins in earnest.

"Can I... get more medicine?"

OOC

Spend a Luck to turn the fire off.

Ongoing condition: +1 to avoid the cops, because now Hal doesn't talk to pigs either

ร—
ร—