Chapter One - Mirabar

bwatford

Cassandra of the Summer - Human Paladin (MW Character Sheet)spacer.png

AC: 19 | HP: 25/25 | HD: 3d10/3 | Initiative: -1 | PP: 14  | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Cassandra followed Hachilah, too distressed to even pretend she could lead the little group.

After Robear's quick welcome, she took a parchment and wrote "Number 1154, Cassandra of the Summer" on it.

As Drift asked her the reason behind her scream back in the laboratory, she turned to the Tabaxi and slowly raised her head. Drift, being a Druid, might understand her predicament; the others however probably would not, as they were all uninitiated.

"I... I am not a paladin any more." she began. "I have lost the way; I know it in my soul... Sweet Lathander has abandoned me, most probably because of a weakness in my character."

"I shall do my best to protect you and help the group; however the Cassandra you knew back in the Academy is no more."

Distressed and too anxious to know the truth, she failed to listen to Copper and instead decided to let the others bathe first while she would approach Robear immediately in the main hall.

"Robear, are we dead? Did we die? We were told that the current year is 5 VR; what does it mean and... exactly when are we?"

She paused.

"Are the Gods still present?" she finally asked. Of course it would be a small relief to know that her God had not forsaken her because of a failing of hers; but that would be nothing compared to the sheer and absolute horror of living in a world bereft of its Light and Goodness, and upon which sweet Lathander was not smiling any more.

Better to be forsaken alone than to hear that the entire world had in fact been forsaken...

Mechanics

Main Hand: -
Off Hand: -

Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate:

Edited by Leonidas1789 (see edit history)

spacer.pngDrift (Tabaxi Druid)

AC: 15 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 | FeaturesSpell Slots, 1st: 4/4
2nd: 2/2
Wild Shape: 2/2
Agility: 1/1
Death Saves: 0S/0F
Conditions:

Drift looks at Cassandra. She's the most honest, kind person he knows. There's no way she violated her Oath. He refuses to believe that she did something wrong in the time between graduation and whatever is happening now.

"Not a paladin? That's absurd. Of course you are still a paladin. If you can't access your light, there must be something else wrong."

He motions around, looks both ways and then says,

"Well, of course there's something else wrong. Everything is wrong. I wonder what else is wrong with us. Mr. Robear, sir, I think we need some more answers."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Wildshape forms

Brown Bear

Brown Bear
Large Beast, Unaligned

Armor Class 11 (natural armor)
Hit Points 34 (4d10 + 12)
Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.

STR19 (+4)
DEX10 (+0)
CON16 (+3)
INT2 (-4)
WIS13 (+1)
CHA7 (-2)

Skills Perception +3
Senses Passive Perception 13
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Keen Smell. The bear has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions
Multiattack. The bear makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.

Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf
Large Beast, Unaligned

Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 37 (5d10 + 10)
Speed 50 ft.

STR17 (+3)
DEX15 (+2)
CON15 (+2)
INT3 (-4)
WIS12 (+1)
CHA7 (-2)

Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Keen Hearing and Smell. The wolf has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.

Pack Tactics. The wolf has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the wolf's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Giant Spider

Giant Spider
Large Beast, Unaligned

Hit Points 26 (4d10 + 4)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.

STR14 (+2)
DEX16 (+3)
CON12 (+1)
INT2 (-4)
WIS11 (+0)
CHA4 (-3)

Skills Stealth +7
Senses Blindsight 10 ft., Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 10
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Spider Climb. The spider can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.

Web Sense. While in contact with a web, the spider knows the exact location of any other creature in contact with the same web.

Web Walker. The spider ignores movement restrictions caused by webbing.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking 9 (2d8) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the poison damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, the target is stable but poisoned for 1 hour, even after regaining hit points, and is paralyzed while poisoned in this way.

Web (Recharge 5–6). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 30/60 ft., one creature. Hit: The target is restrained by webbing. As an action, the restrained target can make a DC 12 Strength check, bursting the webbing on a success. The webbing can also be attacked and destroyed (AC 10; hp 5; vulnerability to fire damage; immunity to bludgeoning, poison, and psychic damage).

Deinonchyos

Deinonychus
Medium Beast (Dinosaur), Unaligned

Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 26 (4d8 + 8 )
Speed 40 ft.

STR15 (+2)
DEX15 (+2)
CON14 (+2)
INT4 (-3)
WIS12 (+1)
CHA6 (-2)

Skills Perception +3
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Pounce. If the deinonychus moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a Claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the deinonychus can make one Bite attack against it as a bonus action.

Actions
Multiattack. The deinonychus makes one Bite attack and two Claw attacks.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) slashing damage.

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

image.jpeg.8f6ab0a89e429d00cbcba4a0d06d7f1b.jpeg

Rise of Vecna Chapter 1: Mirabar

NPC Robear (male human) - Runs the Forgehammer

spacer.pngAs he had done many times before, Robear returned to his seat in his chair to take pressure off of his bad leg and began the task of fielding questions from the new AAO's.

Drift asked him "What do you mean 'a lump of dead flesh could be grown into a fully developed sentient being'? I didn't die. I just ended up here somehow."

The old man smiled, he knew the newly formed had not understood, "You have not died. You did not just end up here either. Until about an hour ago, you did not exist. You were newly created. Albeit with memories of a lifetime that never was. That is what you must understand first and foremost."

"I can only explain it in the way I have come to understand it. The liquids that the vats contain is a sort of mist at first, siphoned off from another plane of existence somewhere in the Shadowfell. They perfected a condensation process that transmuted the endless mists into liquid form. This liquid was then infused with primal energy siphoned from somewhere else. The birthing vats filled with the liquid. These birthing vats are powered by a mechanical device capable of altering reality." he tried to explain, he was not a bioengineer, so it was the way he understood it at least.

"I know I may look almost a hundred years old, but like you, I was only born last year. So, I know how you feel." he said as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"The entire Undercity of Mirabar is now filled with these birthing vats." he continued.

Cassandra added into the conversation. "We were told that the current year is 5 VR; what does it mean and... exactly when are we?"

"The Whispered One has made considerable strides toward remaking the world in his own image. After finalizing his conquest, he abandoned the Dale Reckoning dating system and changed the year to 1 VR (Vecnan Reckoning): The Year of the Whispered One."

"Not many use that old dating anymore, well except for new AAO's. It seems that all memories given to the newly created are from prior to the current events. Makes them last longer I believe was the reasoning behind it. With memories from the current time, whole crops were lost due to depression. They would commit suicide not long after creation." he explained before realizing he was rambling.

"But to answer your question, on the old calendar the year would be 1505 DR. if that helps you in any way." he nodded.

Cassandra then interjected "Are the Gods still present?"

With a hard swallow and a lump in his throat Roebar answered the question "Soon after the Whispered One’s conquest, he proclaimed that he had single-handedly slain all the other benevolent gods. Worship of these false, dead gods was immediately criminalized. Churches were torn down. Holy scriptures were burned."

"Although the bioengineer's still worship Gelf Darkheartrh, the brother and divine antithesis of the primary god of gnomes, Garl Glittergold. The official stance is that Gelf is an infernal patron, similar to those of warlocks, and not an actual god. Although there have been recent instances of clerics and paladins demonstrating divine power, it is claimed that they are merely tapping into their dead gods’ fading, vestigial energies." he continued before pausing for a sip from the waterskin at his belt.

"Then there is the anomaly of the six of you. Two new races among you, never created as AAO's before. And there is definitely something different about all of you. Typically, AAOs were crafted to look identical but more recent batches have varied body types, skin tones, personal features, intellect, and personality. But since the creation of AAO's lack that divine spark of creation, AAOs tend
to be naturally compliant. Although they can be quite smart, they often lack imagination and are predisposed to depression even with happy memories."
he said before rising from his chair and grabbing his cane once again.

Walking to another door, he opened it which had a long hall beyond with many doors off of it, he led them to a door that was simply labeled 1154, there the man stopped to slip the paper that Cassandra had wrote on into a holder next to the frame that held her name. "This would be Cassandra's assigned quarters. But unlike other AAO's your arrival came with specific instructions, specific request that was highly unusual." he said as he opened the door.

The room was tiny, and dirtyy, filled almost entirely by a pallet that is presumably meant to serve as a bed. But there lying on the makeshift bed was Cassandra's chainmail armor, all of her gear including her moon-touched Longsword. Her shield lay next to the armor but it was strangely missing the emblazoned image of Lathandar but laying on the bed was also a golden chain with an emblem of a road disappearing into a sunset. It was a holy symbol. One that Roebar had said was forbidden here.

"I would not show that symbol in public, but apparently all of you came with gear just like this in your own assigned rooms. I cleaned it as best as possible. But now can you answer me one question?"

"Who are you? and who ordered your creation?" he asked.

Streets of Mirabar
10:46 am
(Date Unknown), 5 VR

Show Active Maps

Not in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

Drift 15 | Mara 15 | Cassandra 14 | Copper 13 | Hachilah 13 | Andraste 9

INITIATIVE

Currently Not In Use!!

MECHANICS

Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Currently Not In Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Currently Not In Use!!

ANDRASTE

Hit Points: 23/23 (fey ancestry)
Hit Dice: 3/3
Sorcery Points: 3/3 *L
Spell Slots (+5, DC 13) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 2nd Level: 2/2

DM Inspiration: 1/1
Experience Points: 900 / 2,700

CASSANDRA OF THE SUMMER

Hit Points: 25/25 (divine health)
Channel Divinity: 1/1 *S/L
Divine Sense: 3/3 *L
Lay on Hands: 15/15 *L
Lucky: 3/3 *L
Spell Slots (+4, DC 12) *L

• 1st Level: 3/3

COPPER

Hit Points: 24/24
Spell Slots (+3, DC 11) *L

• 1st Level: 2/2

Attuned Magic Items: 1/3

DRIFT

Wild Shape: 2/2 *S/L

HACHILAH OF THE WANDERING SANDS

Hit Points: 35/35 (danger sense, resist: fire)
Rage: 2/2 *L
Reach the Blaze: 1/1 *L

MARA MIKO

Ki Points: 3/3 *L

AC: 19 | HP: 25/25 | HD: 3d10/3 | Initiative: -1 | PP: 14  | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Cassandra listened to the man's tale, trying to hide her horror; all the benevolent Gods, it seemed, had disappeared, slain by the Whispered One, who had even changed the dating system after his total victory... Sweet Lathander !

Her distress was immense, but, again, she decided to keep her thoughts and feelings to herself, not fully understanding the situation, and not even knowing whether the man was really a trustworthy ally.

She followed Robear to the group's quarters. As he opened the door to her room, she peered inside, and discovered her equipment. Most of her gear was present, but the holy symbol of her God had vanished from her shield; instead, she saw a golden chain with an emblem of a road disappearing into a sunset...

The symbol of Lathander... What a relief! she thought, clutching the chain in her hands.

"Who are we?" she said, trying to answer the man's questions. "I must say I do not know any more... According to my memories, I am a graduate of Vance's Academy of Adventure; but that lifetime, I understand, never was."

"I do not know who ordered my creation." she concluded.

Mechanics

Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate:

Name
Knowledge Religion
1d20 2

AC: 15 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 | FeaturesSpell Slots, 1st: 4/4
Conditions:

Drift follows along to see Cassandra's room. He listens to the old man but doesn't believe him. While it appears that the man thinks he is telling the truth, he could be deceived himself. Drift considers the possibilities. The first possibility is that this man is telling the truth, we were all just created today, and none of the memories of his life are real. His family never existed. Oeillet never existed. His memories of his current classmates never happened. But what magic could create people with joint memories? No, this doesn't seem likely. Drift is very skeptical of the man's explanation.

The second possibility is that this isn't real. This entire scene is a phantasm and he isn't really here. He is safely asleep back at the Academy and this is all a dream. This possibility is comforting, but not helpful. If this is just a phantasm, then nothing he does matters here. But if he does nothing and this is real, the consequences could be disastrous. So while this being a dream is a possibility, it is one he needs to put out of his mind.

The third possibility, and the one that he decides to embrace, is that this place is real. It is 1505 and the gnomes are maybe creating people from scratch, or maybe just resurrecting lost souls. But as Robear just said, we are unique. We are different. Perhaps we are not de novo creations, but resurrections. Instead of planting memories in us, they erased our memories after graduation. That magic seems much more plausible.

He does not reveal all of this to their host, instead simply replying, "We are nobody. Merely students. We have no idea who ordered our creation. Who gave you this equipment for us and the specific instructions? Perhaps they might know more."

It is only when he has everyone else together, we have all bathed and collected our gear, and we are away from any others that he explains his theories. He describes the first two options above, and then explains what he thinks is going on. "We are real. Our memories are real. We were not created today. We were suspended for 30 years, and then awakened. Someone has a plan for us. Or a hope for us. Perhaps we are a failsafe in case the world falls apart. Not powerful enough to raise the suspicion of this Whispered One, but with potential. Perhaps someone at the Academy saw the Whispered One coming and we are the last defense. We cannot lose hope. As long as we have each other, and we stick together, we can figure this out. Until then, we should play along with the old man's explanations."

Mechanics

Wildshape forms

Brown Bear

Brown Bear
Large Beast, Unaligned

STR19 (+4)
DEX10 (+0)
CON16 (+3)
INT2 (-4)
WIS13 (+1)
CHA7 (-2)

Skills Perception +3
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Keen Smell. The bear has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions
Multiattack. The bear makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.

Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf
Large Beast, Unaligned

Speed 50 ft.

STR17 (+3)
DEX15 (+2)
CON15 (+2)
INT3 (-4)
WIS12 (+1)
CHA7 (-2)

Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Keen Hearing and Smell. The wolf has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.

Pack Tactics. The wolf has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the wolf's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Giant Spider

Giant Spider
Large Beast, Unaligned

Hit Points 26 (4d10 + 4)

STR14 (+2)
DEX16 (+3)
CON12 (+1)
INT2 (-4)
WIS11 (+0)
CHA4 (-3)

Skills Stealth +7
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Spider Climb. The spider can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.

Web Sense. While in contact with a web, the spider knows the exact location of any other creature in contact with the same web.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking 9 (2d8) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the poison damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, the target is stable but poisoned for 1 hour, even after regaining hit points, and is paralyzed while poisoned in this way.

Web (Recharge 5–6). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 30/60 ft., one creature. Hit: The target is restrained by webbing. As an action, the restrained target can make a DC 12 Strength check, bursting the webbing on a success. The webbing can also be attacked and destroyed (AC 10; hp 5; vulnerability to fire damage; immunity to bludgeoning, poison, and psychic damage).

Deinonchyos

Deinonychus

Hit Points 26 (4d8 + 8 )
Speed 40 ft.

STR15 (+2)
DEX15 (+2)
CON14 (+2)
INT4 (-3)
WIS12 (+1)
CHA6 (-2)

Skills Perception +3
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Pounce. If the deinonychus moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a Claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the deinonychus can make one Bite attack against it as a bonus action.

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) slashing damage.

Andraste (Half-Elf Sorcerer)token.png.f9e76fe4bce18d36fbb70ba39f1a9f7e.png

AC: 15 | HP: 23/23 | HD: 3d6 | Passive Perception: 9 | Inspiration: No | Conditions: None | Setting stuff on fire: Always
Spells: 1st (4/4), 2nd (2/2) | Sorcery: 3/3

The red-headed sorceress stood beside Drift and Cassandra while they talked to Robear while she awaited her turn at the baths. She was conflicted between the need to feel human again and the rolling boil of questions threatening to spill out of her mouth. Drift and Cassie had already asked several of them and Andraste was keen to get the answers.

But she didn't like what she heard.

"Yes," she said, nodding in agreement with Drift's assessment of what must be going on. Defiance was her default position in most situations, so she categorically refused to accept that they were somehow empty vessels into which the simulacrum of a person had been accidentally poured. She hooked her arm into Drift's, a gesture of solidarity. In sotto voice she added, "You're right, of course. We'll play along until we find the truth."

Andraste patted the man on the arm, released him, and gently made her way over to the much stricken paladin. She wasn't sure what to say, exactly, but having grown up among men and women of strong faith she had some idea of what she might be feeling with the news that even the gods themselves had been struck down. She had come very near to becoming a priestess herself.

Eventually she got her thoughts in order enough to say, "Seems to me that...if history has anything to teach us, it's that the gods come and the gods go, but they're never gone for good. I don't claim to understand all the schemes of the heavens, but I do know that even the Time of Troubles wasn't enough to end the divines. Lathander himself has died before." And then she quoted an aphorism of the Morninglord, saying, "Dawn is coming."

She smiled at Cassandra, hoping she had helped raise her spirits. Then she heard Copper announce the bath was free and quietly took her leave.

Mechanics

Action: She'll keep helping Copper to Prestidigitize the bathwater cleaner and warmer for everyone in between usages. That's a verb and I'm sticking to it.
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

Copper - Upbeat Urchin of Mirabar (Human Arcane Trickster)Copper_token.png.e46b733045db959bfe973cff20637137.png

AC 13/16with Mage Armor  | HP 24/24 | Init +3 Passive Perception 13 (Pooka 15 smell) | Spells 2/2 (1st) | Inspiration 1/1

PREVIOUSLY

By the time he enters the barracks, the slime has frozen over much of his body. He sits in front of the coals to warm himself as best as he can.

He takes off his flimsy robe, a makes a small fire in his hand, running it under the cloth to warm and dry it. Once he deems it dry enough, he lets it catch fire and throws it in the fireplace with the coals, giving everyone a welcome, but too brief bit of warmth.

He starts licking his paws and feet, trying to get the slime off of him, and spitting it into the side of the fireplace so he doesn't swallow any more of it, but he can tell from the taste that it was already in his mouth and throat before he started trying to get it off. As he starts to thaw and collect his wits again, he turns to Cassandra first. "What was the 'Oh No' about back in the laboratory? I mean, this whole thing is a big 'Oh No' but that seemed specific."

As Drift asked her the reason behind her scream back in the laboratory, she turned to the Tabaxi and slowly raised her head. Drift, being a Druid, might understand her predicament; the others however probably would not, as they were all uninitiated.

"I... I am not a paladin any more." she began. "I have lost the way; I know it in my soul... Sweet Lathander has abandoned me, most probably because of a weakness in my character."

"I shall do my best to protect you and help the group; however the Cassandra you knew back in the Academy is no more."

Copper was stunned by Cassandra's revelation, considering how she would feel if she'd lost the Count's fey magic. It wasn't just the loss of magic, but the loss of a trusted relationship, a benevolent patron. And for Cassandra, it would be worse--the loss of purpose, of identity. Coppered shuddered--and not from cold. She wanted to say something, but couldn't find the words.

But Drift could. He spoke, and Copper liked what he said, so she kept quiet. Instead, slipping her hand into Cassandra's, she gave it a squeeze and offered a small bittersweet smile.

Copper let go Cassandra's hand before it became intrusive. And then Robear was speaking and attentions were drawn elsewhere.

Mechanics

Main Hand: empty
Off Hand: empty

Status Effects: none

Active Spells: none

Actions: 
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate: 

Statblock

Female Human (Varient) Rogue (Arcane Trickster) 3

Languages Common, Sylvan, Thieves' Cant

Background Urchin Background Feature City SecretsYou know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

StrSave +0
Athletics +0
8 DexSave +6*
Acrobatics +4 | Sleight of Hand +11* | Stealth +8 (E)
16 ConSave +2
No skills associated.
14 IntSave +4
Arcana +4 | History +2 | Investigation +4 | Nature +2 | Religion +2
13 WisSave +3
Animal Handling +3 | Insight +5 | Medicine +3 | Perception +7 (E) | Survival +3
12 ChaSave +0
Deception +2 | Intimidation +0 | Performance +0 | Persuasion +0

ProficiencyTools: Thieves tools (+5 Pick Locks*), herbalism kit
Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Armors: Light
Bonus +2 Saving Throws Dex, Int

Speed 30 (60 w/Cunning Action Dash)

Actions

• Booming BladeEvocation cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: Self (5-foot radius)
    Components: S, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
    Duration: 1 round

You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack's normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, the target takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends.

This spell's damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).
  • Scimitar +5 to hit for (1d6+3) slashing damage. | finesse, light
  • Small Knife +5 to hit for (1d4+3) piercing damage. | finesse, light, thrown (20/60)
  • Dart +5 to hit for (1d4+3) piercing damage. | finesse, thrown (20/60)
  • Shortbow +5 to hit for (1d6+3) piercing damage | ammunition (80/120), two-handed

Bonus Actions

• Small Knife +5 to hit for (1d4+3) piercing/slashing damage. | finesse, light
  • Cunning ActionStarting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action. (Dash, Disengage, Hide, Mage Hand LegerdemainStarting at 3rd level, when you cast mage hand, you can make the spectral hand invisible, and you can perform the following additional tasks with it:

>You can stow one object the hand is holding in a container worn or carried by another creature.
    >You can retrieve an object in a container worn or carried by another creature.
    >You can use thieves' tools to pick locks and disarm traps at range.

You can perform one of these tasks without being noticed by a creature if you succeed on a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check contested by the creature's Wisdom (Perception) check.

In addition, you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to control the hand.
    )

Reactions

• Opportunity Attack (with additional Sneak Attack)

Spell Save DC: 11 | Spell Attack Mod: +3

Cantrips Booming BladeEvocation cantrip

You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack's normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, the target takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends.

This spell's damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).
 | Mage HandConjuration cantrip
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute

A spectral, floating hand appears at a point you choose within range. The hand lasts for the duration or until you dismiss it as an action. The hand vanishes if it is ever more than 30 feet away from you or if you cast this spell again.

You can use your action to control the hand. You can use the hand to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour the contents out of a vial. You can move the hand up to 30 feet each time you use it.

The hand can't attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds.
 | MessageTransmutation cantrip
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S, M (a short piece of copper wire)

You point your finger toward a creature within range and whisper a message. The target (and only the target) hears the message and can reply in a whisper that only you can hear.

You can cast this spell through solid objects if you are familiar with the target and know it is beyond the barrier. Magical silence, 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood blocks the spell. The spell doesn't have to follow a straight line and can travel freely around corners or through openings.
 | Minor IllusionIllusion cantrip
Components: S, M (a bit of fleece)

You create a sound or an image of an object within range that lasts for the duration. The illusion also ends if you dismiss it as an action or cast this spell again.

If you create a sound, its volume can range from a whisper to a scream. It can be your voice, someone else's voice, a lion's roar, a beating of drums, or any other sound you choose. The sound continues unabated throughout the duration, or you can make discrete sounds at different times before the spell ends.

If you create an image of an object—such as a chair, muddy footprints, or a small chest—it must be no larger than a 5-foot cube. The image can't create sound, light, smell, or any other sensory effect. Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it.

If a creature uses its action to examine the sound or image, the creature can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the illusion becomes faint to the creature.
| PrestidigitationTransmutation cantrip
Range: 10 feet
Duration: Up to 1 hour

This spell is a minor magical trick that novice spellcasters use for practice. You create one of the following magical effects within range:

>You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as a shower of sparks, a puff of wind, faint musical notes, or an odd odor.
>You instantaneously light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.
>You instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot.
>You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.
>You make a color, a small mark, or a symbol appear on an object or a surface for 1 hour.
>You create a nonmagical trinket or an illusory image that can fit in your hand and that lasts until the end of your next turn.

If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

Spells Disguise Self1st-level illusion
Range: Self
Duration: 1 hour

You make yourself—including your clothing, armor, weapons, and other belongings on your person—look different until the spell ends or until you use your action to dismiss it. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller and can appear thin, fat, or in between. You can't change your body type, so you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs. Otherwise, the extent of the illusion is up to you.

The changes wrought by this spell fail to hold up to physical inspection. For example, if you use this spell to add a hat to your outfit, objects pass through the hat, and anyone who touches it would feel nothing or would feel your head and hair. If you use this spell to appear thinner than you are, the hand of someone who reaches out to touch you would bump into you while it was seemingly still in midair.

To discern that you are disguised, a creature can use its action to inspect your appearance and must succeed on an Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC.
| Find FamiliarCasting Time: 1 hour
Components: V, S, M (10 gp worth of charcoal, incense, and herbs that must be consumed by fire in a brass brazier)
Duration: Instantaneous

You gain the service of a familiar, a spirit that takes an animal form you choose: bat, cat, crab, frog (toad), hawk, lizard, octopus, owl, poisonous snake, fish (quipper), rat, raven, sea horse, spider, or weasel. Appearing in an unoccupied space within range, the familiar has the statistics of the chosen form, though it is a celestial, fey, or fiend (your choice) instead of a beast.

Additional animal form choices may be available at the DM's discretion.

Your familiar acts independently of you, but it always obeys your commands. In combat, it rolls its own initiative and acts on its own turn. A familiar can't attack, but it can take other actions as normal.

When the familiar drops to 0 hit points, it disappears, leaving behind no physical form. It reappears after you cast this spell again. As an action, you can temporarily dismiss the familiar to a pocket dimension. Alternatively, you can dismiss it forever. As an action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you. Whenever the familiar drops to 0 hit points or disappears into the pocket dimension, it leaves behind in its space anything it was wearing or carrying.

While your familiar is within 100 feet of you, you can communicate with it telepathically. Additionally, as an action, you can see through your familiar's eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, gaining the benefits of any special senses that the familiar has. During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own senses.

You can't have more than one familiar at a time. If you cast this spell while you already have a familiar, you instead cause it to adopt a new form. Choose one of the forms from the above list. Your familiar transforms into the chosen creature.

Finally, when you cast a spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an attack roll, you use your attack modifier for the roll.
| Mage Armor1st-level abjuration
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a piece of cured leather)
Duration: 8 hours

You touch a willing creature who isn't wearing armor, and a protective magical force surrounds it until the spell ends. The target's base AC becomes 13 + its Dexterity modifier. The spell ends if the target dons armor or if you dismiss the spell as an action.
 |
Sleep1st-level enchantment
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (a pinch of fine sand, rose petals, or a cricket)

This spell sends creatures into a magical slumber. Roll 5d8; the total is how many hit points of creatures this spell can affect. Creatures within 20 feet of a point you choose within range are affected in ascending order of their current hit points (ignoring unconscious creatures).

Starting with the creature that has the lowest current hit points, each creature affected by this spell falls unconscious until the spell ends, the sleeper takes damage, or someone uses an action to shake or slap the sleeper awake. Subtract each creature's hit points from the total before moving on to the creature with the next lowest hit points. A creature's hit points must be equal to or less than the remaining total for that creature to be affected.

Undead and creatures immune to being charmed aren't affected by this spell.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, roll an additional 2d8 for each slot level above 1st.

When all seemed dark, lost and desperate, Cassandra found renewed hope with her companions. And it all came back to her; their camaraderie during their training at the Academy, Drift's eloquence and wisdom, Copper's and Andraste's compassion and soothing kindness... The power of Goodness.

"Indeed." she answered, turning to Andraste. "Dawn is coming... And after clouds, sunshine." she added, remembering her family motto.

The sorceress was essentially right; Lathander might still return to grace the world once more, as He had done in the past.

As Copper slid her hand into hers, Cassandra gave her a warm smile; but in truth her eyes were wet and she was moved to tears.

As the urchin let go her hand, Cassandra instinctively grabbed the chain once more; it filled her with strength and gave her courage.

The paladin sighed. "You are all correct; I was wrong to despair. I am still the Morninglord's instrument in this world. May His Will be done, and His Blessing be upon you all." she whispered.

She then took her leave to head for the bath, eager to return promptly to her room so she could hold the chain in her hands again.

Mechanics

Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate:

Copper - Upbeat Urchin of Mirabar (Human Arcane Trickster)Copper_token.png.e46b733045db959bfe973cff20637137.png

AC 13/16with Mage Armor  | HP 24/24 | Init +3 Passive Perception 13 (Pooka 15 smell) | Spells 2/2 (1st) | Inspiration 1/1

Copper, de-slimed and dressed in magically-warmed peasant garb reminiscent of her childhood, walked back to the small entrance hall of the Forgehammer, a smile on her face, calling as she came. "Andraste, bath time!"

She found the room empty. Her hand immediately went for her knife--which was not on her hip. She stepped quietly into the room, searching for signs of struggle, listening. She heard distant voices from beyond a doorway that had not been previously open. Slowly, ever-so-quietly, she slinked down the hallway toward an open door, the voices of her friends growing louder as she approached.

Adraste stepped out of the open door and approached her as if all was well. The two exchanged nods as the sorceress passed. Even slimed she's stunning. Bah.

Copper thought to return to the bath to help the others, but Cassandra was talking. The girl closed the final distance and slipped into the room--she had a bad habit of sneaking up on people. Inside the room, Cassandra spoke to Drift and the old-timer.

The paladin sighed. "You are all correct; I was wrong to despair. I am still the Morninglord's instrument in this world. May His Will be done, and His Blessing be upon you all." she whispered.

She then took her leave to head for the bath, eager to return promptly to her room so she could hold the chain in her hands again.

Copper turned to the mostly-slime-covered Tabaxi. "You look terrible," she observed, straight faced, her eyes fighting against a grin.

Before Drift could reply, the girl's eyes widened in recognition of Cassandra's gear, piled up on her bed. Copper remembered Robear's words, I do have rooms prepared with your gear. She had tried her hardest to remember those words, and somehow she'd forgotten.

Like an arrow shot from a bow, Copper sprang out the doorway, scanning the room numbers until she found 1158. She opened the door in a rush, hoping beyond hope to see the two possessions that mattered most to her: the copper-piece necklace her mother had made for her, and the little knife that her mother had brought from the fey realm. Of course, her other gear would also be nice to see.

Mechanics

Actions: 
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate: 

Statblock

Background Urchin Background Feature City SecretsYou know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

StrSave +0
Athletics +0
8 DexSave +6*
16 ConSave +2
No skills associated.
14 IntSave +4
13 WisSave +3
12 ChaSave +0

Actions

• Small Knife +5 to hit for (1d4+3) piercing damage. | finesse, light, thrown (20/60)
  • Shortbow +5 to hit for (1d6+3) piercing damage | ammunition (80/120), two-handed

Bonus Actions

• Cunning ActionStarting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action. (Dash, Disengage, Hide, Mage Hand LegerdemainStarting at 3rd level, when you cast mage hand, you can make the spectral hand invisible, and you can perform the following additional tasks with it:

>You can stow one object the hand is holding in a container worn or carried by another creature.

You can perform one of these tasks without being noticed by a creature if you succeed on a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check contested by the creature's Wisdom (Perception) check.

In addition, you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to control the hand.
    )

Reactions

A spectral, floating hand appears at a point you choose within range. The hand lasts for the duration or until you dismiss it as an action. The hand vanishes if it is ever more than 30 feet away from you or if you cast this spell again.

You can use your action to control the hand. You can use the hand to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour the contents out of a vial. You can move the hand up to 30 feet each time you use it.

You point your finger toward a creature within range and whisper a message. The target (and only the target) hears the message and can reply in a whisper that only you can hear.

You can cast this spell through solid objects if you are familiar with the target and know it is beyond the barrier. Magical silence, 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood blocks the spell. The spell doesn't have to follow a straight line and can travel freely around corners or through openings.

You create a sound or an image of an object within range that lasts for the duration. The illusion also ends if you dismiss it as an action or cast this spell again.

If you create a sound, its volume can range from a whisper to a scream. It can be your voice, someone else's voice, a lion's roar, a beating of drums, or any other sound you choose. The sound continues unabated throughout the duration, or you can make discrete sounds at different times before the spell ends.

If you create an image of an object—such as a chair, muddy footprints, or a small chest—it must be no larger than a 5-foot cube. The image can't create sound, light, smell, or any other sensory effect. Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it.

If a creature uses its action to examine the sound or image, the creature can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the illusion becomes faint to the creature.

This spell is a minor magical trick that novice spellcasters use for practice. You create one of the following magical effects within range:

>You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as a shower of sparks, a puff of wind, faint musical notes, or an odd odor.
>You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.
>You make a color, a small mark, or a symbol appear on an object or a surface for 1 hour.
>You create a nonmagical trinket or an illusory image that can fit in your hand and that lasts until the end of your next turn.

If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

You make yourself—including your clothing, armor, weapons, and other belongings on your person—look different until the spell ends or until you use your action to dismiss it. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller and can appear thin, fat, or in between. You can't change your body type, so you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs. Otherwise, the extent of the illusion is up to you.

The changes wrought by this spell fail to hold up to physical inspection. For example, if you use this spell to add a hat to your outfit, objects pass through the hat, and anyone who touches it would feel nothing or would feel your head and hair. If you use this spell to appear thinner than you are, the hand of someone who reaches out to touch you would bump into you while it was seemingly still in midair.

To discern that you are disguised, a creature can use its action to inspect your appearance and must succeed on an Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC.
Components: V, S, M (10 gp worth of charcoal, incense, and herbs that must be consumed by fire in a brass brazier)

You gain the service of a familiar, a spirit that takes an animal form you choose: bat, cat, crab, frog (toad), hawk, lizard, octopus, owl, poisonous snake, fish (quipper), rat, raven, sea horse, spider, or weasel. Appearing in an unoccupied space within range, the familiar has the statistics of the chosen form, though it is a celestial, fey, or fiend (your choice) instead of a beast.

Your familiar acts independently of you, but it always obeys your commands. In combat, it rolls its own initiative and acts on its own turn. A familiar can't attack, but it can take other actions as normal.

When the familiar drops to 0 hit points, it disappears, leaving behind no physical form. It reappears after you cast this spell again. As an action, you can temporarily dismiss the familiar to a pocket dimension. Alternatively, you can dismiss it forever. As an action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you. Whenever the familiar drops to 0 hit points or disappears into the pocket dimension, it leaves behind in its space anything it was wearing or carrying.

While your familiar is within 100 feet of you, you can communicate with it telepathically. Additionally, as an action, you can see through your familiar's eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, gaining the benefits of any special senses that the familiar has. During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own senses.

You can't have more than one familiar at a time. If you cast this spell while you already have a familiar, you instead cause it to adopt a new form. Choose one of the forms from the above list. Your familiar transforms into the chosen creature.

Finally, when you cast a spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an attack roll, you use your attack modifier for the roll.

You touch a willing creature who isn't wearing armor, and a protective magical force surrounds it until the spell ends. The target's base AC becomes 13 + its Dexterity modifier. The spell ends if the target dons armor or if you dismiss the spell as an action.
 |

This spell sends creatures into a magical slumber. Roll 5d8; the total is how many hit points of creatures this spell can affect. Creatures within 20 feet of a point you choose within range are affected in ascending order of their current hit points (ignoring unconscious creatures).

Starting with the creature that has the lowest current hit points, each creature affected by this spell falls unconscious until the spell ends, the sleeper takes damage, or someone uses an action to shake or slap the sleeper awake. Subtract each creature's hit points from the total before moving on to the creature with the next lowest hit points. A creature's hit points must be equal to or less than the remaining total for that creature to be affected.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, roll an additional 2d8 for each slot level above 1st.

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)

Andraste (Half-Elf Sorcerer)token.png.f9e76fe4bce18d36fbb70ba39f1a9f7e.png

AC: 15 | HP: 23/23 | HD: 3d6 | Passive Perception: 9 | Inspiration: No | Conditions: None | Setting stuff on fire: Always
Spells: 1st (4/4), 2nd (2/2) | Sorcery: 3/3

Feeling more confident about disrobing in this ramshackle prison-camp building--that's what she thought of this place, she realized. It was a prison--Andraste disappeared behind the meager privacy of the privy. At least one of them was armed, and she knew them all to be capable adventurers, so she felt better about being vulnerable with so many standing guard just outside the room she was in.

Andraste had a lot of hair to wash out, so she had time to think. The more she thought about her situation, the worse she felt about it all. Rather than feeling more human by the end of her bath she felt like a miserable wretch. Was she one of those AAO things? She certainly felt depressed enough to be one. Despite being surrounded by friends she had made in the last year, Andraste felt horribly alone in the world.

She did a pretty good job of keeping her crying from being audible.

After a short while, Andraste emerged from the privy. Her face was flush, her eyes were puffy, but her visage was hardened like a mask. The water she left behind had been magically cleaned and warmed for the next person to use. When she came around the corner and announce the bath was free, she had her hair draped over one shoulder. She was still working on drying it all out, for a wet head in weather this cold was a liability.

She put her name on Robear's stupid page. That's how she thought about it, anyway. Internally she was fighting back anger and assorted dark thoughts clouding what would normally be a sunnier disposition. Andraste had never been particularly fond of her name, but it was a damn sight better than being eleven fifty-six.

There were profane comments that went unspoken as part of her internal monologue. She was sure to go through other stages of grief as things progressed.

Mechanics

Action: She'll continue to help Copper to Prestidigitize the bathwater cleaner and warmer for everyone in between usages.
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

Edited by Aavarius (see edit history)

image.png.44317179ca9f812166be1538ab13d580.pngHachilah - Fire Genasi Barbarian 3

AC: 17 | HP: 35/35 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 13 | Rage: 3/3

There was a lot being discussed. A lot of theories and believed facts shared. Hachilah had done her part, she had gotten them to the Forgehammer. Now, the genasi followed the others as they moved about this foreign place asking questions and attempting to discern reality. She smiled and accepted Copper's assistance, mirroring her cleansing efforts. The numbers on her wrist would not scrub off.

As the group gathered alone, debating the fate of the gods and the pasts they can't recall, she leaned her back against the wall contemplating it all. Her brow furrowed, the dark lines of cooled lava cracking, Hachilah knew her life story. She closed her eyes and could see her parents, her cousins. She could remember the feel of the sand between her toes. When she opened those emerald orbs she saw her party members, her friends...her academy family.

"We are real."  Hachilah pushed herself off the wall. "Your god is not gone, they do not leave. They might slumber, but they are not gone." A growing determination bubbled within her belly, embers below the surface of her dark skin began to glow, lava could be seen flowing below the cracks on her forehead. "There are answers out there and we will find them." She would not allow the only family she had left to be lied to or toyed with. "And we are not numbers, we are us. Cass, Drift, Copper, Mara, Andi, Hachi. Not. Numbers." 

She left the room and moved back into the entry hall seeking out Robear. The old man was their current only source of information. "What more is there to know? You are old, yet you say you were 'born' last year. Did they make you old and failing, or did you age fast? Will we?"  As she asked, Mara flickered into her mind. Fine lines at the edges of her eyes, a slight change of the shape of her face. "Are we already?" Although Hachilah had not raised her voice, her shoulders were straight and her words were firm. The woman wanted answers. "Tell us about the rise of this Whispered One. And why have the others before us all been so depressed?"

Mechanics

Action: Produce flame.

Reaction: Your reaction goes here.

Spells

Casting Ability: Wisdom
Spell Save DC: 11
Spell Attack Modifier: +3

Cantrip: Produce FlameCASTING TIME: 1 Action
RANGE/AREA: Self
COMPONENTS: V, S
DURATION: 10 Minutes

A flickering flame appears in your hand. The flame remains there for the duration and harms neither you nor your equipment. The flame sheds bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet. The spell ends if you dismiss it as an action or if you cast it again.

You can also attack with the flame, although doing so ends the spell. When you cast this spell, or as an action on a later turn, you can hurl the flame at a creature within 30 feet of you. Make a ranged spell attack. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 fire damage.

This spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

One Use per Long Rest
1st: Burning HandsCASTING TIME: 1 Action
RANGE/AREA: Self (15 ft )
COMPONENTS: V, S
DURATION: Instantaneous

As you hold your hands with thumbs touching and fingers spread, a thin sheet of flames shoots forth from your outstretched fingertips. Each creature in a 15-foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 3d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

The fire ignites any flammable objects in the area that aren't being worn or carried.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

2nd: Flame Blade (C) -no access till 5thCASTING TIME: 1 Bonus Action
RANGE/AREA: Self
COMPONENTS: V, S, M *
DURATION: Concentration 10 Minutes

You evoke a fiery blade in your free hand. The blade is similar in size and shape to a scimitar, and it lasts for the duration. If you let go of the blade, it disappears, but you can evoke the blade again as a bonus action.

You can use your action to make a melee spell attack with the fiery blade. On a hit, the target takes 3d6 fire damage.

The flaming blade sheds bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for every two slot levels above 2nd.

Grovel. The target falls prone and then ends its turn.

Halt. The target doesn't move and takes no actions. A flying creature stays aloft, provided that it is able to do so. If it must move to stay aloft, it flies the minimum distance needed to remain in the air.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can affect one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Stat Block

Hachilah of the Wandering Sands
Fire Genasi Ancestral Guardian Barbarian (3)

Str 14   Dex 14   Con 16   Int 10   Wis 12   Cha 10
HP 35/35   HD 3d12/3d12   AC 17   Speed 30 ft

Passive Perception 13   Initiative +2
Languages Common, Primordial & Dwarvish
Background Tribe Member: Wandering Sands   Feature 
Wandering Sands HeritageYou have an excellent knowledge of not only your tribe’s territory, but also the terrain and natural resources of the rest of the Southwest. You are familiar enough with any wilderness area that you find twice as much food and water as you normally would when you forage there.

Additionally, you can call upon the hospitality of your people, and those folk allied with your tribe, often including members of druid circles, tribes of nomadic elves, the Harpers, and the priesthoods devoted to the gods of the First Circle.

• 
 Handaxe +4 attack, 1d6+2 slashing damage
• Javelin +4 thrown attack, 1d6+2 piercingMoon-touched GreataxeMoon-touched weapons count as magical but offer no bonuses and shed bright moonlight in a 15' radius and dim light another 15' beyond that. +4 attack, 1d12+2 slashing damage

Proficiency +2   Saving Throws Strength, Constitution
Skills Athletics, Insight, Perception & Survival
Tools 
Cook's Utensils
Instruments ...
Weapons Simple weapons, martial weapons
Armor All armor, shields
Feats None

Features 
DarkvisionYou can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light. You discern colors in that darkness only as shades of gray.Fire ResistanceYou have resistance to fire damage.Reach to the BlazeYou know the produce flame cantrip. Starting at 3rd level, you can cast the burning hands spell with this trait. Starting at 5th level, you can also cast the flame blade spell with this trait, without requiring a material component. Once you cast burning hands or flame blade with this trait, you can’t cast that spell with it again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast either of those spells using any spell slots you have of the appropriate level.

Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells when you cast them with this trait (choose when you select this race).
Rage (3)In battle, you fight with primal ferocity. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action.

While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren’t wearing heavy armor:

•You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
•When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.
•You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
•If you are able to cast spells, you can’t cast them or concentrate on them while raging.

Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven’t attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.

Once you have raged the number of times shown for your barbarian level in the Rages column of the Barbarian table, you must finish a long rest before you can rage again.
Unarmored DefenseWhile you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.Reckless AttackStarting at 2nd level, you can throw aside all concern for defense to attack with fierce desperation. When you make your first attack on your turn, you can decide to attack recklessly. Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.Danger SenseAt 2nd level, you gain an uncanny sense of when things nearby aren’t as they should be, giving you an edge when you dodge away from danger.

You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and spells. To gain this benefit, you can’t be blinded, deafened, or incapacitated.
Ancestral ProtectorsStarting when you choose this path at 3rd level, spectral warriors appear when you enter your rage. While you’re raging, the first creature you hit with an attack on your turn becomes the target of the warriors, which hinder its attacks. Until the start of your next turn, that target has disadvantage on any attack roll that isn’t against you, and when the target hits a creature other than you with an attack, that creature has resistance to the damage dealt by the attack. The effect on the target ends early if your rage ends.

AC 13/16with Mage Armor  | HP 24/24 | Init +3 Passive Perception 13 (Pooka 15 smell) | Spells 2/2 (1st) | Inspiration 1/1 | Darts 4/4 | CP 12 SP 5 GP 5

[TIME: AFTER Copper Picked Up Her Gear BUT BEFORE Drift's "Everyone Together, Bathed, & Gear Up" Post]

Copper exited her room with a swaggered, a sense of renewed confidence in her step. The peasant close from the bathroom were gone, replaced by the clothes she'd worn that second semester at the Academy: sturdy walking shoes, hose and a belted tunic that fell to mid-thigh, over which she wore a sleeveless hooded tabard that fell a bit further than the tunic. On her belt, she wore her bejeweled knife on one hip, and a pouch with her most important gear on the other. Concealed beneath the tabard were the four darts she favored in short-range combat. And sheathed at her back over the tabard she carried the moon-touched scimitar that had been gifted to her near the end of her second semester.

But most important of all, around her neck hung the copper piece her mother had fashioned into a simple necklace for her.

Feeling more like herself, Copper looked down the hallway. One direction led back to the Forgehammer's entry chamber where Robear would answer her many, many questions. The other direction led to... the unknown and possibly adventure. Her curiosity pulled her in both directions. She had a piece of hardtack in one hand with a bite missing. The girl was chewing with gusto as she considered which path to take. In the end, her many questions one out.

She found Robear, offering him a piece of hardtack as she signed her name on the paper--something she'd forgot to do earlier. She guessed his teeth were not up to such a snack, but he could always dunk it in water if he was hungry enough. She had many questions for him, most of them covering the information he'd already shared with Cassandra and Drift. But after she'd caught up to their level of curiosity about this VR world, her questions went on--and on.

"Are we free to roam the Forgehammer or are some areas restricted?"

"Is there a mess hall somewhere in the building? What time is the next meal? Is the food here any good?"

"Are we free to roam the compound outside--assuming we want to face that Icewind Dale weather?" "By the way, why is the weather different from my DR memories of Mirabar? Did the Whispered One do something to the weather?"

"And who is this Whispered guy anyway? I don't remember anything about him from my current events lessons back in the DR time. Then again, I don't remember much of anything from my current events lessons. Was he on the down-low back in DR time?"

"Is there a curfew at the Forgehammer, or for this compound, or for the entire city?"

"Do people still value gold and jewels? Do they still buy stuff with coins? I mean, we're sitting on a literal gem mine of opportunity here, and the gnomes have closed it down for necromantic experimentation. That just sounds crazy to me!"

"Why would the gnomes create you with such an old body? I mean, if they created you from nothing, presumably so that you could help them, why give you a body with limitations? Were you an experiment that went wrong? Do AAOs sometimes show up older than intended--or with other unintended limitations?"

"What do most AAOs do? What kinds of jobs are they given? Do you know what our jobs will be?"

Mechanics

Actions: 
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate: 

Statblock

StrSave +0
Athletics +0
8 DexSave +6*
16 ConSave +2
No skills associated.
14 IntSave +4
13 WisSave +3
12 ChaSave +0

Actions

Bonus Actions

)

Reactions

|

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)

image.jpeg.8f6ab0a89e429d00cbcba4a0d06d7f1b.jpeg

Rise of Vecna Chapter 1: Mirabar

NPC Robear (male human) - Runs the Forgehammer

spacer.pngRobear did his best to continue to field questions, it seemed that this set of AAO's had more questions than the normal ones.

Drift
"Who gave you this equipment for us and the specific instructions? "

He shifted in his seat to face the tabaxi "Each time a set of AAO's are set to be sent here, I receive a shipment for them from below. Usually depending on what their task will be, or the reason of their creation. I have seen various clothes, and tools, leathers here and there. But never full-fledged equipment like came for you." he shifted again, obviously his leg was bothering him "I'll be honest with you, some of your equipment goes outside the norm that is allowed. Holy symbols for dead gods, spellcasting focuses. It is all a bit strange to me as well."

"But the strangest thing is, you came with no instructions. Not were to report to, or what task you were assigned. It just said for you to be given rooms and for you not to leave the outer compound, I guess that is just as much for your safety than anything else. Running around with armor and weapons would get you swarmed by the goblins very quickly outside these walls."

Hachilah
"What more is there to know? You are old, yet you say you were 'born' last year. Did they make you old and failing, or did you age fast? Will we?"

With a heavy sigh Robear replied "Unfortunately they made me this way, although I remember a full life, much like you. To me, I lived it. I do not know why they chose to make me this way. To see if they could, I guess. And from my experience, you all will age just like normal, so no worries in that department." he added with a chuckle.

"The entire process is called the rebalancing of life and death. As a god of death, the Whispered One continues to naturally draw sustenance from the death of sentient humanoids. However, he is drained in equal measure whenever humanoid life is naturally conceived. Such is the cosmic balance. The Whispered One, never one to accept such arbitrary limitations, has found a solution to the problem of rebalancing life and death." he explained "At least that is how I understand it from the teachings of the Temple of Truth."

Hachilah
"Tell us about the rise of this Whispered One. And why have the others before us all been so depressed?"

"Well for complex questions about him, I would refer you to the Temple of Truth which is right across the compound. It is their job to teach about him. And only they can say his real name. To the rest of us, he has many titles." he admitted, but clearing his throat he began his tale.

"He has been known by many names—The Maimed Lord, The Whispered One, The Maker of All That is Secret. He was a great wizard, perhaps the greatest of all time, tutored by the serpentine embodiment of magic itself. He was a supreme archlich of inestimable power, rumored to have stolen the secret of undeath from the demon lord Orcus. He was an emperor, worshiped as a god. Then, through force of will, he became a god."

"He was betrayed and slain by his closest lieutenant. He was imprisoned in the distant domains of Ravenloft. None of this stopped him."

"Then, somehow, by others aiding him here, he was reborn. He gathered to his banner all that was evil. Not just his cultists, but orcs from Dark Arrow Keep, yuan-ti from Najara, giants from all across the Sword Coast, and liches from Warlock’s Crypt, all fought at his bidding. The Realms, already devastated by repeated calamity, fell quickly. In less than a year’s time, the Whispered One ensconced himself within Waterdeep, declaring himself the Lord of Toril."

Copper
"Are we free to roam the Forgehammer or are some areas restricted?"

"This is your home.... for now. You are free to roam the Forgehammer." he replied.

Copper
"Is there a mess hall somewhere in the building? What time is the next meal? Is the food here any good?"

"There is a mess hall, but you will only find dried rations and a porridge that taste like wood. And even that is very limited in supply, so it will be rationed out as needed."

Copper
"Are we free to roam the compound outside--assuming we want to face that Icewind Dale weather?" "By the way, why is the weather different from my DR memories of Mirabar? Did the Whispered One do something to the weather?"

"Inside the compound you will find two other occupied structure's. The Temple of Truth. This temple was once a grungy, dust-covered warehouse that stored manure. Now, it has been converted into a temple to the Whispered One. This 'temple' consists of a small library filled primarily with the latest edition of Volo’s Guide to Vecna."

"The other location here is The Goblet and Gems, before Vecna, this festhall was, according to Volo’s Guide to the North, 'the only exciting and impressive-looking tavern in Mirabar.' Nowadays, this holds even more true. The tavern’s sign is a shining goblet that seems to glow even during the day. The mood inside is generally festive, bordering on rowdy during the evening hours. The Goblet and Gems is a popular establishment because of its ample supply of cheap alcohol and live entertainment, as well as the fact that it is avoided by goblin patrols. It has a stage for live music, a gambling hall in its basement, and plenty of side booths and back rooms for private meetings."

"As far as the weather goes, it is common knowledge that Auril, The Frostmaiden, a powerful elemental being lives in the arctic north of Icewid Dale under her blanket of eternal night and eternal winter. Her influence has spread south, resulting in colder weather for Mirabar."

"What residents didn’t flee south eventually succumbed to the gelid conditions. Concurrently, the demonic horde that poured from the Abyss into the Underdark displaced countless underground cities of drow and duergar alike. Xardorox Sunblight emerged from the depths below the Spine of the World, vowing that it was Deep Duerra’s will for the duergar to claim Icewind Dale as their own. And so they claimed it, adapting from a life underground to one in the permanent night of the Frostmaiden’s domain. As Icewind Dale stands now, all of Ten Towns have been destroyed, reclaimed by duergar, or left full of humanoid ice sculptures as eerie frozen reminders of what civilization used to be."

Copper
"Is there a curfew at the Forgehammer, or for this compound, or for the entire city?"

"Goblins patrol the streets of Mirabar, bullying AAOs and trueborn alike. They think of themselves as the city’s guards and the Whispered One's clergy humor this delusion. The actual reality, however, is that Mirabar is self-policed."

"Critical resources are scarce within Mirabar. The priests of the Whispered One grow edible fungus within the undercity. They also hunt for game in the nearby wilderness. They hoard this food, sharing it only with the citizens in exchange for “secrets.” Such secrets are inevitably about one’s neighbors, which has effectively created a society in which the residents are constantly spying upon one another. It is through this process that the priests proactively quash any burgeoning rebellions."

"Treasonous action is further suppressed by the Eyes of the Whispered One, twenty will-o’-wisps, that ceaselessly fly throughout the city. It is said that the Whispered One watches directly through these eyes."

"As long as you stay inside the compound until you are given permission or need to go outside it, the safer you will be."

Copper
"Do people still value gold and jewels? Do they still buy stuff with coins? I mean, we're sitting on a literal gem mine of opportunity here, and the gnomes have closed it down for necromantic experimentation. That just sounds crazy to me!"

"An abundance of mineral wealth, combined with an isolated economy and harsh living conditions, has greatly devalued traditional currency. Gold coins flow more freely than food. And gemstones are found in greater abundance than serviceable firewood. This scarcity of essential resources has led to a barter-based economy. A shopkeeper is more inclined to trade for planking that he can use to replace his rotted shelves than he is for traditional currency. So, too, a blacksmith for a bucket of nails that can be melted into iron. Most valuable of all are secrets, of any kind, which can be traded for food at the Ministry of Secrets."

Copper
"Why would the gnomes create you with such an old body? I mean, if they created you from nothing, presumably so that you could help them, why give you a body with limitations? Were you an experiment that went wrong? Do AAOs sometimes show up older than intended--or with other unintended limitations?"

The old man took a moment to drink from his waterskin again, water from the melting ice was one thing that was not in short supply here "I do not know why. An experiment maybe. Someone to look fatherly to for new AAO's? Your guess is as good as mine."

"In recent years, death has been glorified as the ultimate service one might give to the Whispered One and many of the city’s inhabitants look forward to their eventual demise. This glorification is explicitly evident on the first of each month. At this time a lottery, referred to as the Culling, is held to randomly select one hundred AAOs for celebratory execution. The flesh from these executions is often used for the incubation of new AAOs."

"Then the cycle repeats, some say the souls of the AAO's, if they truly have them, go on to nourish the Whispered One"

Copper
"What do most AAOs do? What kinds of jobs are they given? Do you know what our jobs will be?"

."Anything that is required really, some are assigned roles, others are turned loose to roam the city. The city bolsters a current population of roughly eight thousand. About half of this population is composed of the original inhabitants of Mirabar. These inhabitants are almost entirely human, since the dwarves of Mirabar marched east during Vecna’s conquest to reinforce their kin. The other half of the city’s residents are AAOs. The occupying Kreeth goblins live in and around the Hall of Sparkling Stones, Mirabar’s former seat of government. The gnome bioengineers, devoted to the worship of Gelf Darkhearth, quarter within the undercity. The clergy of the Whispered One reside in and around the Ministry of Secrets."

Copper is suddenly taken aback, only 8,000? When she last was here the city had a population of over 20,000. Robear notices the shock and explains.

"Only half of Mirbar remains, everything west of the river was destroyed when the Many Arrow orcs claimed it for the Whispered One once the dwarves left to help their kin. They were originally given what was left of the city, but when the birthing labs were put in, then the clergy of the Whispered One showed up for oversight. The orcs, resentful of this new oversight, have given over the rule of Mirabar to the Kreeth goblin tribe."

Streets of Mirabar
10:55 am
(Date Unknown), 5 VR

Show Active Maps

Not in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

Drift 15 | Mara 15 | Cassandra 14 | Copper 13 | Hachilah 13 | Andraste 9

INITIATIVE

Currently Not In Use!!

MECHANICS

Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Currently Not In Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Currently Not In Use!!

ANDRASTE

Hit Points: 23/23 (fey ancestry)
Sorcery Points: 3/3 *L

CASSANDRA OF THE SUMMER

Hit Points: 25/25 (divine health)
Channel Divinity: 1/1 *S/L
Divine Sense: 3/3 *L
Lay on Hands: 15/15 *L
Lucky: 3/3 *L
Spell Slots (+4, DC 12) *L

• 1st Level: 3/3

COPPER

Spell Slots (+3, DC 11) *L

• 1st Level: 2/2

Attuned Magic Items: 1/3

DRIFT

Wild Shape: 2/2 *S/L

HACHILAH OF THE WANDERING SANDS

Hit Points: 35/35 (danger sense, resist: fire)
Rage: 2/2 *L
Reach the Blaze: 1/1 *L

MARA MIKO

Ki Points: 3/3 *L

Mara Jade (Changeling Monk)spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 | Ki: 3/3 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Mara took the time to cleanse herself in the cold waters, feeling it wash away her doubt and bring her blood to life as the slime from the birthing vats sluiced from her body. She was alive, and as it had been before, she must choose to make a difference or be overwhelmed by the sorrows that surrounded her. When she was done, she dressed quickly and joined her companions, not bothering to sign any book. The mark upon her wrist, the numbers graven there, burned her as though they were branded with hot iron.

At the questions of her companions and the answers of this old man she shifted, her feet resting shoulder width apart and her hands within the sleeves of her robe. This man was a liar or a fool, likely both. When he mentioned that Mirabar was filled with these bioengineers and their awful vats of dead people she went absolutely still. They must be destroyed, the lot of them, and made to pay for whatever horror they enacted.

She drew strength from her companions, from Copper's optimism to Andraste's cloaked defiance, Drift's guileless charm to Cassandra's bright steel. And all of it anchored by Hachila's calm self-assurance, a quality that Mara appreciated more than most since she cultivated it most carefully herself. When the questions were all asked and answered, she looked at Robear for the first time with her dark eyed gaze and spoke, very quietly.

"To whom do these gnomes owe fealty?"

Mechanics

Conditions:

Drift finishes his bath, dries himself off, and gathers his gear from his room, 1157. He checks the small pouch and it includes a fresh twig of mistletoe, a dozen or so thorns, and a small chunk of raw iron, exactly like it was at graduation. He examines the sprig of mistletoe to see if it seems to be the same one he had before. Back in the main room, when Copper rattles off her questions, Drift’s first impulse is to tell her to settle down, but the old man seems fine answering everything, and he’s giving us a lot of information. Drift thinks about how much has changed in the past decades and he misses the way things used to be. He misses carefree days of flirting with a stranger, drinking too much, and not having to worry about where he wakes up the next morning. But he shakes off that feeling and focuses on the task at hand.

He listens to Robear’s explanations, but they only seem to bring more questions. “You said that the Realms, already devastated by repeated calamity, fell quickly, and that the Whispered One is now the Lord of Toril.” He pauses, “What were the previous calamities?” 

After that is answered, he continues, “Has all of Toril fallen? You mentioned Waterdeep, but what about Neverwinter, Baldurs Gate, Elturel… Athkatla?” He of course shows greater interest in the last one, pausing to let Robear respond, refusing to believe that everyone he remembers could be living like this.

He then continues, “Or even farther away? Thay, Mulhorand, and even Halruaa? Have they fallen too? Or are there pockets that still need to be subdued?”

He thinks that while Robear has been allowed to tell us this history, the old man certainly would sell us out if he thought we were going to be trouble, so he adds. “Perhaps that is why we are here. To root out the stragglers.”

He thinks of one more question, “The other AAO’s that had no assigned purpose. What did they do?”

Mechanics

Wildshape forms

Brown Bear

Brown Bear
Large Beast, Unaligned

STR19 (+4)
DEX10 (+0)
CON16 (+3)
INT2 (-4)
WIS13 (+1)
CHA7 (-2)

Skills Perception +3
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf
Large Beast, Unaligned

Speed 50 ft.

STR17 (+3)
DEX15 (+2)
CON15 (+2)
INT3 (-4)
WIS12 (+1)
CHA7 (-2)

Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Giant Spider

Giant Spider
Large Beast, Unaligned

Hit Points 26 (4d10 + 4)

STR14 (+2)
DEX16 (+3)
CON12 (+1)
INT2 (-4)
WIS11 (+0)
CHA4 (-3)

Skills Stealth +7
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Deinonchyos

Deinonychus

Hit Points 26 (4d8 + 8 )
Speed 40 ft.

STR15 (+2)
DEX15 (+2)
CON14 (+2)
INT4 (-3)
WIS12 (+1)
CHA6 (-2)

Skills Perception +3
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Notes

Forgehammer – Our home in Mirabar

Temple of TruthThe Temple of Truth. This temple was once a grungy, dust-covered warehouse that stored manure. Now, it has been converted into a temple to the Whispered One. This 'temple' consists of a small library filled primarily with the latest edition of Volo’s Guide to Vecna."

The Goblet and Gems
The Goblet and Gems, before Vecna, this festhall was, according to Volo’s Guide to the North, 'the only exciting and impressive-looking tavern in Mirabar.' Nowadays, this holds even more true. The tavern’s sign is a shining goblet that seems to glow even during the day. The mood inside is generally festive, bordering on rowdy during the evening hours. The Goblet and Gems is a popular establishment because of its ample supply of cheap alcohol and live entertainment, as well as the fact that it is avoided by goblin patrols. It has a stage for live music, a gambling hall in its basement, and plenty of side booths and back rooms for private meetings.