Year 2949: The Marsh-Bell

Vladim

Round 6 summary

Asfrid: Fails her attack.
Ewald: Gets hit for 5 Endurance (piercing blow) and becomes Weary, but passes protection test. Spends 1 Hope to hit a marsh-dweller (let's say Marsh-dweller 1 that hit him), killing him.
Barin: Spends fellowship to hit Marsh Dweller 2, killing him. No marsh-dwellers now stand against Barin.
Fareth: Kills Ewald's Marsh Dweller 2; only Marsh Dweller 1 stands against her and he is at 0 Hate (Weary) and 10/10 endurance (made a mistake about this earlier, but was corrected by Eliadia).

Everyone is in Defensive except Ewald (Rearward). Fellowship pool is exhausted. Only 2 Marsh-dwellers remain: one engaged with Asfrid (at 5/10) and one engaged with Fareth (at 10/10, but out of Hate and therefore Weary). You may now:
_Attack any Marsh-dweller you want, to finish them off.
_Escape combat with only a simple success in Athletics (TN 14) or no roll (for Ewald). Appropriate trait invocation for an auto success should also work. Just make sure to coordinate if you are escaping combat; if you leave a PC behind they may become extremely vulnerable.

Before they could say or do anything more, the marsh-dwellers were upon them, like a swarm of ravenous locusts. There were many – too many to count – and quickly surrounded the fellowship, seeking to overpower them with sheer numbers. But they were slow and clumsy; mindless almost – they had little beyond numbers on their side.

Swords were drawn; the axes of the dwarves were readied, and Ewald’s bow-string sung. The companions stood against the marsh-dwellers’ razor-sharp claws, holding the monsters back while others of their kind lurked in the shadows and watched. Indeed, after their onset, many of the marsh-dwellers had stayed behind, cowering in the darkness, reluctant to place themselves in danger, and seeking instead for their own fellows to do the dirty butcher’s work. Then, they thought, when the company lay dead, they could feast on the corpses, without putting themselves in danger, for surely the attackers – the hungriest and most desperate amongst them – would slay them all, even if some of their own numbers were cut down.

But the marsh-dwellers’ meals-to-be proved a resilient sort. Though the pendulum of the battle swung back and forth many times, eventually the fellowship had the day. They stood in the treasure chamber, bloodied but victorious, as countless eyes, shining with wickedness, looked on from the dark. They were now torn between rage and cowardice: rage for the thieves that had come into their own dwelling, stolen from their treasure and slain many of their own, and cowardice, for they feared these free-folk, as they had cut down many of their kind.

Their indetermination opened up a window of opportunity, however briefly. Now was the time to run, before the marsh-folk realised just how weakened and bloodied the fellowship had become.

[OOC: I tried to paint the battle scene with broad strokes, so you can add more details about what your character does, if you want, though this is not necessary. I can just move forward, if you want. But for now, the choice is between escape and certain death. The opportunity will not last long. So feel free to describe your character’s flight or their heroic last stand and death. The choice is yours. We do not need any mechanics to resolve either.]

Asfrid no longer knew in the darkness what soaking wet blood on her tunic and armor was hers and what was the sticky ichor of the swamp things. Her legs barely held her up as she thrust her sword one final time, jabbing at a weakened marsh dweller before it could strike her down.

And oh, how easy it would be to strike me down right now, the warrior thought with some measure of wonder. Is true...I am asleep on my feet, more dead than alive...but it doesn't have to end that way.

"Is time...to go," she pants to her allies at her sides in a rushed hush, blood bubbling briefly at her lips. "Like...now."

As she bashed aside a final claw, and slash down the final marsh dweller facing her, Fareth gasped in the first moment's pause she'd had in what felt like hours.

Seeing the bright eyes blink in the darkness, she nodded tiredly and started to back away, keeping her sword and shield ready until most of the others had cleared the chamber.

'Back!' she called to her allies.

Barin didn't need telling twice. As he heard Fareth's call to retreat, he all but stumbled his way back through the archway the group had entered through those few moments, which now seemed like an eternity before.

Once back into the main chamber, he sank to his knees and bemoaned "By Durin's long beard! There's dozens more of them. How can we even hope to stand against so many without an army at our backs?"

When the last of the attacking marsh-dwelling creatures fell, Ewald let out a heavy breath. He thought the danger was over but the shouts of his companions made him aware that this wasn't the case. There were more of them, a lot more, and they were all badly wounded.

He turned around and moved out in the hallway where they had found themselves after the underwater swim. "Let's go back out in the forest." He shouted as he moved towards the place where he had emerged out of the water.
"Yes Asfrid, we come back better prepared."

Quickly, the company fled outside through the submerged passageway by which most of the companions had entered. It was the only prudent thing to do against such overwhelming odds. Bofri and Regin did not fare any better in the fight, and they too were eager to leave the accursed chamber while they were still standing, treasure or no treasure.

If the marsh-dwellers hesitated, it was only for a moment, and as they saw the thieves retreat, they followed them, seeking to prevent their escape. As the companions swam out, breaking the surface of the lake gasping for air, they saw Lara and Dwalin awaiting them, weapons on the ready. Regin was the last to take the passage, and for a while none could see him on the other side, and his kinsman Dwalin searched for him until his shape appeared near the entrance. He was struggling against one of the creatures, which had taken hold of his ankle with a vice grip, but with the help of the companions he was able to set him free.

The companions did not linger long by the ruins. The marsh-dwellers were shadowing them as they made their escape, but a few well-aimed arrows by Lara discouraged them from pursuing too closely. Without a word, it was agreed to return to the camp-site as quickly as possible; there, if they were free of their pursuers, the next course of action could be decided.

OOC

_Does anyone have Asfrid as Fellowship Focus? If so, gain one shadow point because she got wounded.
_Others who have anyone but Asfrid as Fellowship Focus can regain one point of Hope.
_Anyone (including Asfrid) may attempt a Healing check (TN 14) to treat Asfrid’s wound. On a failure, the roll cannot be repeated until the next day.
_Everyone receives 8 Experience points (XP) for the successful completion of the adventure. I will grant 2 more XP later, if you give me a fellowship phase wrap-up post. Remember if you have XP depts (that’s only Asfrid, I think) to factor them in!
_Asfrid in particular can use her ‘Tenacious’ cultural blessing to spend a Hope point and receive an additional Experience Point, because she got wounded. The choice is Raistlin’s.

What's next?

At this point, the fellowship should decide what to do next. If everyone agrees on returning to Lake-Town, then we can fast-forward the journey there, and allow a short fellowship phase (perhaps a few weeks to a month in duration) for everyone to recover. There you can spend your XPs and APs and decide what to do next.

The way I had envisioned us continuing is to try and recover the Marsh-Dwellers’ treasure, as it can be used to fund any future expeditions regarding the restoration of the road (as Bofri no doubt would tell you). However, there are many folks that can lay claim to the gold: elves, because it is technically in their lands; dwarves, because the expedition was theirs (and you guys of course) and perhaps others (you may discover who later on). The issues that come up when the sharing of treasure is to be decided are very much in line with Tolkien’s themes of greed and good / bad leadership, so we can go into this direction of you would like to. The next logical thing to do would be to seek audiences with important peoples, try to gather a bigger expedition, etc.

But, this is just one possibility. The next adventure can be sandbox, so we can discuss some more and decide a different approach. I can even run a completely different adventure from the huge collection of published material. So I am happy to discuss and decide. There’s nothing stopping you from doing whatever except your characters’ own goals and drives and the environment (e.g. angry murderous marsh-dwellers).

Just let me know!

After their fast flight from the Marsh Dwellers domain, Barin finally collapsed exhausted upon the party's return to the camp. Looking about, he could see that none of the fellowship were in any fit state to remain in the vicinity, so he offered the advice that they should return to Lake-town with all due haste and attempt to seek further aid in eradicating the remaining creatures and recovering the treasure.

"I at least need to return and recover some of my self-esteem," he concluded.

"What say the rest of ye? Go back to Glóin, and see if we can rally his support and that of the Dwarven armies? Mayhap you could also rally some of your human mercenaries too my Lord Ewald?"

Putting his hand in his pocket, he fingered the ten large gold coins he'd managed to collect before the attack, "Aye, and it would be nice to be able to relax in a nice, hot, tub with a cold flagon of ale or two after those fetid waters we've had to wade through - TWICE I might add!"

When the fellowship finally were gathered and back in relative safety at the campsite Ewald walked around and checked on each of his friends to see how badly wounded they were. Everyone, except Lara and Dwalin who had stayed as guards on the outside, had got severly beaten up but nothing that could be healed with rest and time.
Lord Ewald felt especially bad for Asfrid as she had recieved a pretty bad wound and at one point down in the ruins he thought he was going to lose her in the battle. They had fought side by side a few times before and he valued her skills with sword and shield massively but this was possibly the closest they had been to getting killed. Asfrid was a tough girl though and Ewald knew she would shake it all off and move on quickly but the thoughts of what could have happened to her put him in a dark mood for the rest of that day.

When Barin addressed him he was temporarily brought out of his brooding. "What? Sorry... Of course. I will try to get an audition with King Bard and talk to him about this, preferably in private as we don't want to spread the words of that treasure too widely."
Ewald moved around the camp for a bit before raising his voice again so everyone could hear. "Is everyone fit enough to start our journey back to Lake-town tomorrow? We shouldn't linger here for too long with all the dangers and our poor physical condition."

The journey back

And so it was that the fellowship would return to Lake-Town, and speak to Glóin about all their adventures, and of what they had found. They would return by boat again, via the River Running: though now they had to work hard against the river’s rapid flow, at least they knew the way a little better, and would avoid the dangers that they encountered only a few days earlier.

Bofri sad quiet and contemplated the next steps for much of the journey. He had not escaped the fight against the marsh-dwellers unscathed, and the foul creatures had given him a few ‘keepsakes’ to remember them by. Most pronounced of all was a deep gash on his forehead that took a couple of days to stop bleeding. But despite all this, he did not seemed dismayed, and try to keep the fellowship’s spirits high on their return.

’We shall have our vengeance.’ he would say at times. ’Now we know well where the Marsh-Dwellers dwell, and we have seen the gold that they have stolen. Some of it, I reckon, belongs to the many traders that they have ambushed over the years, and some must be the ancient treasure of my peoples, from the Eastfort and other outposts of the Old Road, for it cannot lie far from their palace. We shall reclaim it, and with it we can continue our mission. Just wait till Gloin and Dain hear of it. They will give us many stout warriors, and with them we can put an end to those creatures!’

Not far away from the dwarf sat Lara, still troubled from hearing the account of what had happened inside the marsh-dwellers’ ruined palace. But now other thought troubled her too, for she knew how fond her King was of brilliant gemstones like the ones some of the companions had found.

’The ruins lie inside Mirkwood, and that is still the domain of King Thranduil, my lord. If you should undertake this expedition, Bofri son of Bofur, I deem it wise to seek my lord’s permission on the matter. A scouting mission is one thing, but bringing an army into the Woodland Realm without the King’s blessing would be deemed an insult.’

[OOC: What do you guys want to do? Of course, the first thing to do while in Lake-Town would be to talk to Gloin, but there are three main things that we could follow with:
1. Audience with King Bard of Dale.
2. Audience with King Dain Ironfoot of Erebor.
2. Audience with King Thranduil of the Woodland Realm.

These are not mutually exclusive; in fact we can do all of them, probably in that order.]

Fareth listened closely to the discussions of her comrades.

'I agree with all of your assessments - we needs must get all the leaders of the region to agree - or at least be willing to stay out of our way. I would also like to seek out some of what the Wise may know about the marsh-dwellers we did battle with.'

Asfrid's eyes lingered on Lára long after the elf spoke. Alas, what the warrior had feared had come to pass: her feelings - blundering, confusing, awkwardly expressed - were simply unrequited and that was that. So it goes.

She turned away from the elf, drawing herself out of her reverie and nodding a silent assent, as if to say to herself, enough of that now. Is done.

She instead focused her gaze on Fareth and assented. "Is true that we need leaders of region to agree. Man, dwarf and elf: all must know. Now is not time for ancient grudges and new mutinies; now is time for star-crossed races to see eye for eye and hear reason. The enemy lives in that marsh and is enemy of all: man, dwarf and elf alike."

Fellowship Phase

A few days later, the company arrived in Lake-Town, weary and having been tested by the return journey. As soon as they had set foot in Esgaroth-upon-the-lake, they sought to speak to Gloin, who received them triumphantly, like returning heroes, and listened keenly of their tales from the Long Marshes, of all that they had witnessed and discovered, of the treasure-hoard of the Marsh-dwellers and their near-fatal encounter with them. He offered counsel where he could, agreeing that speaking to the kings would be a wise next step, and promised to arrange audiences with those he could. Moreover, he rewarded the fellowship with gold from Erebor, for he knew that their journey was hard, and coin would come in handy for resupplying themselves and continuing their mission.

The kings of Men, Dwarves and Elves were busy folk, and though Gloin set out to arrange a meeting with King Bard immediately, it would take several days before the latter could receive them. The brief interlude was a welcome change; it allowed the fellowship to rest and recuperate, but it was not spent entirely idly: plans had to be made, discussions were to be had, and preparations readied for the next step of their endeavour.

OOC / Mechanics

Broad strokes, but feel free to fill in the details. As stated earlier, it is time for the Fellowship Phase, so feel free to upgrade your PCs by spending XP / AP (most of you have). It would be great if you could break down upgrades on your sheets so that we can all easily check everything. Also, as stated before, if you write a fellowship phase wrap-up post, I’ll grant 2 additional XPs. Assume that this is a short fellowship phase, lasting about two weeks of in-game time.

Additionally, you can select one Fellowship Phase Undertaking that represents one of the things your character does during this interlude (in addition to training etc). Here is a non-exhaustive list of undertakings; I can provide the detailed mechanics upon request. If you want to do something else, we may also come up with custom undertakings.
_(Anywhere; bonus in Lake-town as it counts as a sanctuary) Heal Corruption (Reduce Shadow points by making a Song or Craft check)
_(Anywhere) Change trait (exchange a distinctive feature / speciality to represent character development)
_(Anywhere) Raise Standard of Living (Spend Treasure to improve Standard of Living)
_(At hometown) Raise Standing (Spend Treasure to improve standing)
_(Anywhere) Write a Song (Song roll to compose a song, that can be sang later on to generate bonus d6s)
_(Lake-Town) Collect Marsh-Herbs (roll on table to determine collected herbs, that grant small bonuses)
_(Lake-Town) Go to the Market-Pool (spend treasure to gain an item that grants a small bonus on a skill)
_(Dale) Comission a dwarven smith of Anvil Way (Spend Treasure to commission a dwarven smith, unlocking the ‘Made in Anvil Way’ reward if upgrading Valour)
_(Dale) Open new sanctuary (opens op the city of Dale as a sanctuary, but all companions must choose this)
_(Dale) Stay at the Missing Scale Inn (temporarily gain Folk-lore trait)
_(Dale) Apprentice with dwarven smith (pay treasure, improve Craft skill with discount on APs)

As soon as everyone's made their wrap-up posts (not mandatory, but some of you may want to) and decided on the mechanics (upgrades, XP spent, APs spent, fellowship phase undertaking chosen) I will move us on to the next adventure. I anticipate that this will take one week of real-world time.