Year 2949: The Marsh-Bell

Vladim

Mechanics

Asfrid: -1 Hope to pass the Corruption check
Barin: +1 Shadow, -1 Hope to pass an Explore check
Scouts (Barin, Ewald, with some help from Fareth): Pass the Explore checks, so you find the ruins.
Lara: +1 Shadow, passes one of the Awareness checks
Everyone: -3 Endurance because of Asfrid’s failed Athletics check. Compare your current Fatigue score (= Starting encumbrance + Travel Fatigue) with your current Endurance. If they are equal, or if the current endurance is less, you become Weary.

Please adjust your Advancement points and other scores (Shadow, Hope, Endurance) accordingly! I will post IC in a bit, I hope!

The river carried them deeper and deeper into the forest, and now the companions’ attention was focused on navigating the twisting stream and avoiding the thick branches. Now the dwarves remembered Gloin’s warning, and looked carefully for the signs of spiders. In the lands of the Woodmen, across the Dusky River, their webs could sometimes be seen lining the tree-branches: always a sign of danger. But no webs were to be found here: it seemed that even the spiders avoided these swamp-lands.

As they journeyed on, Lara looked carefully with her keen eyes for any sign of danger, or for anything out of the ordinary.

Lara only:

Lara notices on one occasion discerning eyes observing them through the forest, and on two others she hears the sounds of footsteps upon the trees, though she does not see the sentinels. These must be elven folk, though what they might be doing here is a mystery. They are, after all, in the Eastern borders of the Woodland Realm, and technically these lands are Thranduil’s lands, though elves do not venture into these forsaken swamps in these years of the Third Age.

The elves are too far to interact with; Lara may call on them if she pleases, but she will receive no reply.

By the late evening, the companions were exhausted, and mistakes were becoming more and more common. Soon, the boats were mired in the mud, and the companions had to free them to continue. It was hard work that took the best part of an hour to achieve: the company was forced to enter the cold and foul waters, which were waist-deep for the Men, and for the dwarves they reached up to their chins almost. Below the murky waters, it was a struggle to maintain one’s footing. The current was strong, and there were many tangled roots underneath, and where there weren’t any roots, there was a thick mud that was easy to sink into. It took the combined efforts of the entire fellowship to get the boats unstuck, and by that point everyone’s will to continue was tested.

Still, it was agreed to press on for another hour or two, if the conditions allowed it. Thankfully, the incident did not repeat itself. They set up camp on the western shore before sun-down. Bofri informed all that they were getting close: they had journeyed long, and based on his estimation of distances, soon they would come upon the bridge that the dwarves had built, if it stood still. Thus, while the rest of the fellowship made preparations, Barin, Ewald and Fareth went into the forest to scout the lands that lay ahead.

Though the daylight was failing, soon they came upon the signs of stone-work. Barin could confirm that some of it seemed like the work of his forefathers. There were no paths here, but as they travelled on they found more and more stone-work and ruins. At last they came upon a broken statue. It depicted one of the Northmen of old. It was broken in many places, and it was missing its head, which was nowhere to be found. The stone, once white, had turned grey with age and wear, and much of the surface was covered in a greenish-brown moss. Still, the man stood in a proud pose, strong and defiant, though the sword that he once had held was broken too, and there was naught but the hilt in his hand.

[OOC: The scouts should decide if they continue onwards, or if they turn back and tell the rest of the fellowship of their findings. Night is quickly approaching, so the wisest path of action is most likely the latter. The ruins can be explored more thoroughly on the morning of the next day, with the entire fellowship. I'll let you role-play the sharing of information for a bit, if that is what you choose.]

"Ho! Now there's a sight you don't see every day." Barin exclaimed as he looked up at the remains of the statue.

Running his hands over the stone, almost tenderly, he began to mutter to himself "hmm ... not of Dwarven origin this, although the stonework is still exceptional given its age. Looks to be a figure of the old Northern Kingdom, although who or what ... hmm ... can't tell."

With the light fading and night beginning to encroach on the forest he turned to Eawald "I reckon this is it, My Lord. The road stones and some of the ruins back there ... definitely some are of Dwarven stonecraft. With night drawing in though, I'd say we've done enough for today and should get back to the camp. These trees and the webs in the eaves give me the shivers!"

Striking up his pipe he awaited Eawald's response ...

Ewald was more silent the first day of their journey after leaving the Lake-men's camp. He sat looking out at the thick wooden landscape closing in on both sides of the river. After a while he started to mumble something, at first it wasn't loud enough for anyone to hear the words, but he kept saying them, almost like a song but repeating the same two lines over and over again. It was a rhyme and soon everyone in his boat could hear it.
"If you go south in the marshes take heed:
tread lightly and fear the gallows-weed"

Later Ewald explained that it was something he had heard from an old man. He wasn't sure it meant anything but something about the words and the rhyme made them stuck in his mind. "Does any of you know what gallows-weed are?" He turned to look at Fareth first as he thought the ranger might know about weeds and plants in general but then he gave each of the other companions a look as well.

At the ruins later that afternoon Ewald looked in wonder at the stonework and especially the statue of the northman. He let his hand run over the stone, gently touching the surface.
"Indeed! This is truly an amazing sight!" the Barding lord said in reply to Barin. "Is it not all Dwarven you reckon? I mean if this is the ruins we are looking for it used to be a Dwarven outpost. But what of this Man statue then?" he asked slightly baffled.

"You are right though. We need to head back to the others at the camp. I don't feel good staying here when it gets dark. What do you think Fareth?" he continued.

When Ewald mentions gallows-weed, Fareth's visage darkens even further than usual. 'I've been trying to recall something about what gallows-weed might be as well, Ewald... and the impression that rhyme is making on you worries me! The old words have truth in them ignored by too many.'

At the ruins, Fareth glances around at the nature surrounding them while she responds, her hand resting on the hilt of her blade, 'I could not agree more. I think we should hasten back, and we can smoke together later, Barin. This place is not for us - at least not yet. And if our journey back is smooth, we need to speak more about that rhyme, Ewald - once we've a fire stoked and a watch set, if our company will heed my advice.'

Upon arriving back at their camp, Barin rushed over to Bofri to shake him by the shoulders.

"By Durin's Beard, we've found it!" he exclaimed. "Come, come gather round and I'll describe what we've found".

He proceeded to relay to the rest of the party what he, Eawald and Fareth had found a little deeper into the woods, telling of the mixture of ruins of Dwarf and Man, and the state of preservation of the small settlement and obvious paving.

He wound up with a description of the broken statue, " ... and whilst the stonework is definitely not of Dwarven origin, it seems much too fine to be of modern man's skills either. I would estimate it to be of an age with the ancient Kingdom of Men which reputedly spanned most of Rhovannion many, many years before the dawning of this age.

Who the statue may be of I cannot tell for it's head is long gone, but the craftsmanship on what remains is exquisite. There's no doubt in my mind that this marks the far Eastern end of the road we seek."

Sitting back on his haunches, he once again lit his pipe and poised himself for the inevitable barrage of questions that would follow his exposition.

Asfrid, after thoroughly mucking up the boating that afternoon, was in a foul mood as she built the fire and helped ready the camp. One damned job, she'd had, just one, and she'd gotten the company stuck. It annoyed her in general, but as a soldier and warrior, letting down those who counted on her made her burn with a far deeper shame than mere annoyance.

"Fire is lit," she says finally, once it really got going after a time in the moist environs, to Lára. "Is good chance to dry off after this afternoon. I am sorry for that. I...,"

Just then, the expedition returned and the warrior's words to the elf were cut short. Even Asfrid didn't really know what she would say next, so the interruption was probably for the best, especially after seeing the elf in her still-damp, still-clingy attire.

--------

After Barin gave his report, Asfrid turns her attention back to business and asks, "Is good news, Master Barin! How far is this place you speak?"

"Not far," Barin replied to Asfrid, "but the way is a little tricky seeing as it heads further into the woods.

We took the liberty of marking the route as best we could with some bright cloth strips that will hopefully survive until the morn."

Ewald nodded in answer to Fareth's suggestion that they needed to talk more about the gallows-weed and the rhyme, especially as she had been thinking about similar things as well.

The journey back to the camp went well and they made it back just before darkness fell. As they all sat down around the fire Barin described the ruins to the others. Ewald just nodded affirmatively. "We should all go back there tomorrow and explore it further. Especially you, Bofri and Regin, should take a look at the stonework and see what you can make of it. I thought it was a dwarven outpost, but what I don't understand is why there is a statue of a Northman. Could it be from a different era, perhaps after the dwarf's left?" he asked no one in particular.

Later he sat down next to Fareth. "You mentioned earlier that you have had thoughts about gallows-weed as well. Just the name sounds ominous. What do you know about it or that rhyme the old man sang to me. I'm not sure if it was a dream but it felt too real to be just an ordinary dream. I do get such feelings now and then, just like my mother did, and I know better than ignoring it."

Fareth stared over the fire at the darkened tree line while her hands work swiftly and surely to pack her pipe. She sighed softly. 'Yes, Ewald. If Gallows-weed is not ominous enough... I fear I must add a still darker rhyme.'.

She gracefully lit her pipe, drew deeply, and exhaled - but did not relax. 'I urge you all listen well - but also, take old rhymes for what they are. They can be warnings - they can be naught. The wise will pay heed without paying all. Here is one I was taught long ago by one very wise, and all too familiar with such business.

She chanted softly but clearly:

The Shadows where the Mewlips dwell
Are dark and wet as ink,
And slow and softly rings their bell,
As in the slime you sink.

You sink into the slime, who dare
To knock upon their door,
While down the grinning gargoyles stare
And noisome waters pour.

Beside the rotting river-strand
The drooping willows weep,
And gloomily the gorcrows stand
Croaking in their sleep.

Over the Merlock Mountains a long and weary way,
In a mouldy valley where the trees are grey,
By a dark pool's borders without wind or tide,
Moonless and sunless, the Mewlips hide.

The cellars where the Mewlips sit
Are deep and dank and cold
With single sickly candle lit;
And there they count their gold.

Their walls are wet, their ceilings drip;
Their feet upon the floor
Go softly with a squish-flap-flip,
As they sidle to the door.

They peep out slyly; through a crack
Their feeling fingers creep,
And when they've finished, in a sack
Your bones they take to keep.

Beyond the Merlock Mountains, a long and lonely road,
Through the spider-shadows and the marsh of Tode,
And through the wood of hanging trees and gallows-weed,
You go to find the Mewlips - and the Mewlips feed.'

She stopped, and raised her pipe again - then noticed it had gone out.

Bofri first turned to Ewald and tried to explain to the lord from Dale that the signs they had found meant that they were close: very close indeed! With a few words he confirmed what his kin had said:

’Barin is correct, lord Ewald! We are indeed looking for the Eastfort, that was built long ago by dwarven hands. But the Northmen of Rhovannion also dwelt here with our ancestors, and thus it is no surprise to find their stone-work here. We are close!’ he said excitedly, and did not hide his eagerness to continue the search as soon as the next day dawned.

But when Fareth spoke the rhyme she had learnt, he shuddered in fear. ’I do not know what this Gallows-weed is, but now I hear both you and lord Ewald mention it. There must be some significance to that. Whatever it is, I have no intention of finding out! And as for these… Mewlips… I have never heard the word before, but your rhyme sends chills down my spine. It is good that you returned to us, instead of pressing on in the darkness: if there are dangers in the ruins, then we must face them together!’

Then Regin weighed in: ’Who taught you this rhyme, Fareth? To my ears, it sounds like a nonsense-poem: a bedtime story to make children afraid and to ensure that they listen to their parents. Mewlips? Merlock Mountains? The marsh of Tode? I have never heard of such creatures or place-names.

I fear for what lies ahead also, but we must not let our fears get the best of us. We have come this far, and we have done well enough, if I may say so.’

Mechanics

For the next day, please each of you give me:
1. A corruption (Wisdom) check at TN 14 for continuing to remain in this blighted land; failure results in you gaining +1 Shadow. As before, you can spend 1 Hope to add your basic Heart rating to the result.
2. A Search check (TN 14); this relates to being aware of this ‘Gallows-weed’ and actively avoiding it. Only one of you needs to succeed to keep the company safe. Fareth is allowed to invoke her 'foresighted' trait on this check, if Eliadia wishes it.

I will write the next scene depending on the results.

Also, for resting during the night, each of you recovers 2 points of endurance.

Lára rises before the sun, if indeed she slept at all, and stands near the water. A cool breeze stirs the river-reeds, billowing her cloak of blue trimmed in white lace, her hair streaming a brilliant crimson in the air. Her eyes shine as clear as a summer morning as she stands tall, facing the river, head tilted as if listening. Indeed she is listening, to its ancient voice, to the songbirds greeting the sunrise, to the wind sighing through the reeds. All of it speaks, and if one listens as an Elf might listen, one can hear their voices.

The shadow of the previous day has passed, and Lára feels unburdened again. She welcomes the sun, as she has ever done through a count of years so long the wizened Men of the Lake are but children to her, and its warmth fills her spirit with light. She spreads white arms as though to welcome the Sun herself down to their camp, and speaks softly to those nearby.

"Hear them. The birds say that the air is lighter today, and finer for flying. The winds speak of northern lands, where their colder kin flow out of the ancient world. The river tells of shadows beneath its surface and upon it."

Lára lowers her hands and turns to the camp, her eyes shining merrily. If yestereve saw her Elvish heart troubled by the Shadow, today sees it lifted again by the Sun. Hope, it seems, springs eternal, much as the river flows through tainted lands and out again into pure.

Barin rose from his furs just before the break of dawn. Looking around groggily it took several moments for him to take in his surroundings and remember exactly where he was and why.

He shivered. He was still unable to get rid of the feeling that something dark, something foul, something ... tainted was watching the company from just somewhere out of sight. Most unsettling.

Looking around, the sights and sounds of the camp beginning to stir assaulted his senses, and he managed to snatch a drink of something hot from one of his compatriot's campfires. Looking out towards the river he spied the Elf, standing there towards the water's edge shining like a beacon in the grey light of this blighted dawn.

Slowly he smiled as the sight began to chase away the shadow that had begun to fall across him, and he felt ready to face the day.

"I didn't as girl," Asfrid replies to Lára. "Hear them I mean. Is good I do now."

The warrior paused, closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, listening and smiling.

"As girl, was taught many things. Some is good; most is not. But not until I am on my own, traveling, in wilderness...only then did I begin to Hear. My whole life until then is noise, noise, noise...but when I find myself alone for first time, met only by the babble of river and whistle of the wind, did I know where I belonged."

The warrior opened her eyes and - most rare for her - looked the beautiful elf full on, meeting her almond eyes. Though tall and somewhat awkward, the joy in Asfrid's smile could be neither contained nor denied.

"Is good."

Then, looking around her, the smile faded.

"But here? In this place?" Asfrid shakes her head. "Something...wrong. You feel it, yes? Is...Wrong."

She shrugs, as if to say there simply was no other word for it.

(OOC: Sorry, started rolling here and realized it was the wrong thread. Moved accordingly.)