Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Year 2949: The Marsh-Bell

Vladim

Asfrid, somewhat surprisingly, actually knew what the more learned companions were talking about regarding these far-off and, let's be honest, nearly mythical places. She wasn't terribly schooled in lore herself, but nor was she utterly oblivious when others discussed important matters around her. She had ears; she could listen.

But for now, she kept her mouth shut about it. What was there to say? Hey everyone, surprise surprise, I know what you're talking about for once? No, words that didn't add anything didn't need to be spoken. That was something else she knew.

Instead, she let her eyes flick to Làra as often as possible without making it entirely obvious that she was doing so.

Ewald nodded as Bofri spoke. He knew about the hardships of the Dwarves and he had heard the tale of Mount Gundbad where orcs now dwelt in the halls of Durin's birthplace. He knew the hatred the proud people of the mountains held against the foul breed of the shadow and he understood it as he had been part of the Battle of Five Armies and seen the disaster they brought with them.

"We, the free people, must stand united and help each other drive out the Shadow and it's breed from the forest and then the mountains. Together we have the strength to achieve this. We showed that at the big battle eight years ago and we can do it again as long as we keep from letting squabbles between us interfere." He let is eyes move from Bofri and Barin, then to Lara and finally his own human fellows at the table and Beran at the window. When turning towards the woodman Ewald's expression got slightly sadder. He knew some of that man's story and what he had lost was on a personal level far worse than what the dwarves had lost. However, that wasn't something he would say in front of them or he would suffer the wrath of the dwarves for the rest of his life. He had pitied his own loss of status and respect back in Dale all winter but watching Beran made him realize he should be happy for what he had left.

Lord Ewald, turned back to Bofri and the dwarves and after drinking to Barin Greycloak's toast he raised his tankard again. "To our new fellowship and may our paths bring light and hope to the forest!" He said and took a deep swig from the ale. Then he put it down on the table and said. "Bofri, what are your plans for us?"

The dwarves raised their cups enthusiastically upon hearing Barin’s toast, and nodded in agreement as Lára spoke. Whatever mistrust there was between the fair folk and the folk of Durin, it was not to be found here, for the small company of dwarves seemed to treat the elf as one of their own. But when Beran spoke, Bofri laughed, and the heavy air that lingered after the mentioning of Moria was at last fully dispelled by his roaring laughter, and that of his kinsmen.

’Now have some patience!’ said Bofri to the Woodsman, ’and do not be so hasty in dismissing the lore of my folk! I have consulted your people, as per your counsel, but even your Brown Wizard cannot say as much about the history of our road as the learned loremasters of the chamber of Mazarbul!’

Then, as if in response to Lord Ewald’s question, he moved the map, placing it in the centre of the table, so that all gathered around could see it.

Bofri pointed at the many markings that lined the map where the Old Forest Road was depicted. Four stood out in particular: one at either end of the road, where it entered and exited the forest, and two more at roughly equal distances along the path, into the forest. Between them, many more markings were visible in the script of the dwarves.

Bofri explained:

’My ancestors, who built this road, raised many waystations along the path, so that travellers could rest and resupply as they journeyed through the forest. They were sturdy stone buildings, with extensive cellars and stables for ponies. They may have been swallowed by Mirkwood long ago, but my forefathers lay mighty spells upon the road, to keep it whole and clear for travel. Now even the folk of Beran say that parts of the road remain intact, and thus I have hope. Our undertaking is not a futile one.

The dwarves of old also built four large keeps. The Westfort once stood at the western end of the road, but it is long gone: it was quarried for stone by the Northmen long ago. Within the forest, the great keeps were called the Millfort and the Beacon Tower. They may stand still, for they were strong fortifications, built to withstand the ravages of time. But they were also deep within Mirkwood, where the Northmen did not dare venture.

One day, we must journey there if we wish to restore the road to its former glory. Yet this is not a task for now, for we do not know the state of the road, and to journey so deep into Mirkwood would be needlessly perilous.

At the eastern end the Eastfort once stood. What happened to it, even the loremasters do not know, for it lies at the southern end of the Long Marshes, where few dare to set foot. But it is still outside Mirkwood, and thus less dangerous than travelling into the heart of the forest. It is there that I intend to go, to survey the state of the road and to see if anything remains of that old keep.’

[OOC: Feel free to ask questions at this stage. @Bearlord, invoking Old Lore is completely fine.]

spacer.pngWhen your eyes come across Fareth Swiftfoot, you feel as though her mien matches the grey of the evening - an intense grey, one long-weathered. She's placed herself with an excellent view of the door, a wall at her back, and as much space between herself and anyone else in the group as propriety would allow. She has a tall tankard in front of her. Her posture looks relaxed at first glance, but you realize she looks with intensity upon every scrap of conversation that catches her interest. She wears a travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-grey-green cloth closely about her, and she's the only person in the tavern with her hood up. Her visage would be striking if it wasn't stern and set. Her age is impossible to determine.

In her dark grey eyes you sense purpose, but if you watch as they flash from speaker to speaker there's a spark you wouldn't expect - Lára might catch a hint of lvenkind unusual to Men, and Ewald a hint of regality that doesn't match the rest of her. And if anyone save Lára who catches her eyes for a moment feels them bore in, as if they were seeing just a thread of the weave of your future - a thread of warning.

None of you are sure where Fareth wintered, but she has returned to join your company. She has nodded at those of you she knew, generally some time after your arrival, but now she speaks.

'You propose a wise first step to your purpose, Bofri. But you would be wise to listen to those' and her glance takes in Lára and Beran, 'who warn you of the depth, and reach, of the Shadow. It is subtler than the great wyrm and other evilkin defeated in the last great battle were, and darker than I fear you imagine. Even outside of Mirkwood we must keep our our eyes and our blades sharp - and I urge you not to speak of the Black Pit unless you must! And, my Lord Ewald', and her eyes lunge at him, 'I humbly suggest you set your sights lower than hope and light for that wood, but rather hope to bring a chance to survive to those around it.' She turns back to Bofri 'What, may I ask, do you hope to find at the Eastfort?''

At the end of her interjection she sits back into half-shadow again, with the gleam of her eyes peering out from her hood.

"What do any of us in this Middle Earth hope for?" Asfrid interjects in reponse to Fareth's words. "Peace? Light? A chance at redemption? Is all these things and more the good folken want, yes? Then that is what we seek."

The tall warrior smiles at the assembled company, though her eyes do linger on the elf a bit longer than the others.

"Look at this gathering. Humans, dwarves, elf together! United in purpose and cause for good of our world. Is good thing! Is powerful thing! Is rare thing! Only the half-men of the Shire are not represented in our ranks. If any fellowship on this Middle Earth is equipped to ascertain the state of the Eastfort, it is those gathered in this tavern tonight. If Bofri says it is worth investigation, then let my voice be first to say I follow where he leads. The blood of heroes runs in his veins and that is good enough for me."

Seemingly oblivious to the conversation going on around him, Barin leans in to study the map more closely.

Running his finger down from Esgaroth to where the eastern end of the Old Forest Road is marked he mutters to Bofri, "It'll no be easy getting workers, tools and materials down to the Eastfort if we're to do any meaningful work. Especially if we have to trudge the marshes a'foot. My wanderings haven't taken me too far into the region in the past, but I have no recall of any decent roads we'd get mules or carts along. We could float them down the Running River, but I have no doubt that'll prove just as arduous and likely doubly hazardous.

"So, tell me my friend. What, exactly is your plan to get us there?"

Leaning back in his stool he whips a long-stemmed pipe from somewhere within the folds of his cloak, and sparking it with practiced ease he takes a deep, slow draw on its smouldering contents whilst fixing Bofri with a questioning look.

spacer.pngspacer.pngOne of Bofri’s companions, a scholarly dwarf named Regin, had remained content with sitting on the sidelines, smoking his long-pipe and listening to the conversation. But when Fareth spoke, he furrowed his brows and shook his head, and was compelled to speech.

’We *are* listening to your folk,’ he said, ’and this is thanks to Bofri, who insisted on journeying to Rhosgobel to seek the Woodmen’s counsel. But there are others in Erebor who wished to proceed differently. If it were up to them, this expedition would be a purely dwarven affair.’

Then Dwalin added: ’Now, if ever, is the time to reclaim the road and the forest. Now the orcs are at their weakest. We must check their numbers before they are allowed to recover from their defeat. We have already waited for too long.’

Of Bofri’s companions, he was the stoutest and strongest; one of Dain’s original five hundred; a veteran of the Battle of the Five Armies and a hater of orcs.

He added: ’When Thorin set out on his quest, he had naught but fourteen companions. And yet Erebor was reclaimed. We are much better prepared: the might of the kingdom under the mountain is behind us, and we can count on the friendship of the free-folk.’

spacer.png’This will not be an easy undertaking,’ Bofri repeated as he looked at the companions, ’though I do not doubt your courage. But if you think that this task is futile, then you should speak now. I and my kinsmen will listen, for we do not want to bring into this anyone that does not come willingly.’

(OOC: This is mainly intended as a reply to what Fareth has said; I will get to the other questions after this matter is resolved.

If your character is already keen on joining, you don't have to repeat anything - you can just reply with a nod of the head. This is mainly for any PC who has doubts in joining or is unsure. Bofri just wants to make sure that everyone's on board before continuing.)

Fareth's eyes glint, then narrow, 'as I have said, Bofri, I think your first step is wise, and we need this route through the wood. My arm and arms will aid in your endeavour. But mark me well - the wood will have its own word on "reclaiming" before we're done, perhaps more than the orcs.'

Lára listens as the others lay out their plans. She knows indeed of the history of these Dwarven ruins, for she knows much of the lore of Mirkwood and its surroundings, being far older than she appears. Lára leans excitedly over the map, brushing an errant lock of red hair from her face, lighthearted smile forming upon her lips. Soon she turns more serious, as the matter demands.

"I know of these forts. I have walked the entirety of the road. For a time, it has become less dangerous, but still perilous to wander. I have no doubt of the strength of the arms of those who would undertake this venture." She looks around the table, her eyes lingering on each in turn. "Nor the heart, yet the Shadow that threatens us has left its mark, and its poison may leech strength from heart and limb alike. The hated Yrch, I fear, are already growing again in number, as they have ever done. Other threats there are, older and fouler even than Orcs: the great Spiders, unquiet spirits loosed by the Necromancer's downfall, perhaps worse things." Lára taps a slender finger on the map where the Eastfort once stood. "Lord Bofri, I deem this a wise origin for your efforts. The dangers will be less than it would take to reclaim the entirety of the Old Forest Road. That day may yet come."

At length she sits back and looks at her dining companions. "Even were it not the will of my king, still I would come hither and seek to be a part of this adventure. Some there are, even in the woodland realm, who desire not isolation and estrangement but to heal the hurts of old. The Shadow would divide us all, as it has for ever done; it is for this reason that surely uniting our causes is the wisest end." The Elf offers her most convincing smile and a respectful bow of her head. "So speaks my heart, at least."

’Very well.’ said Bofri, assured that his companions’ hearts were set on the task. He turned to Barin then, to answer his questions regarding the journey.

’It is as you say – it will be hard going, especially should we travel on foot. But King Dain counselled me to speak to Glóin son of Gróin before we embark on our journey. As you know, he was one of Thorin’s original companions. Now he dwells in a large mansion here in Lake-Town, serving as Dain’s ambassador. King Dain assured me that he would help us. With his aid, we will have boats and provisions, and thus much of the journey can be made down the River Running.’

He paused to let Regin speak for a while, as he was the one who had researched the libraries of Mazarbul extensively, and knew much about the old lore of the dwarven road. ’There are no paths between the east end of the road and Erebor. The road was built in a past age, long before our kin claimed the Lonely Mountain. It used to continue towards the Iron Hills, but fell into disuse, as few dare enter the accursed forest. But centuries ago, Men dwelt at the eaves of the forest, and some of your ancestors built a town there. Perhaps its ruins remain. We wish to see what is left of them.’

Bofri added: ’I have not journeyed through the Long Marshes before. From what I hear, it may prove impossible to join the Old Forest Road directly with Erebor by land. But with the aid of the Men of the Lake, perhaps it will be possible to make the journey along the river easier.’

He turned to Lord Ewald as he continued: ’You and I were both at the folk-moot of the Woodmen last year, and we both saw how lord Ceawin was determined to resettle the East Bight. Now I hear that he has raised a long-house there. If Men now dwell on the Eastern Eaves of the forest, it is not a long stretch to imagine them settling again where the road used to exit the forest when the road is reopened, especially if the journey along the river is made easier.’

OOC

Basically, Bofri’s goals are:
_To inspect the state of the old road where it exits the forest.
_To see if the journey along the river can be made easier.
_To seek the ruins of the town that was once there, and to see if a small settlement can be eventually rebuilt.

Lord Ewald listened to Bofri as the dwarf used the map on the table to explain his plans to travel down to the eastern exit of the old and forgotten road through Mirkwood. He nodded in agreement to what the others around the table added. Only when Fareth addressed him with fierce and narrow eyes he backed away for an instant. Before he could answer her, Asfrid spoke up and said the words he was about to say.
Then he added. "Hope and companionship between the free-folk is all we have, but there are plenty of examples in the recent past that has showed that it is enough to beat the evil forces of the world. Of course we shall never let our guard down, for as long as the shadow is here it will be an immense threat to us all."

Ewald then turned to Bofri. "This is an excellent step to try to retake land from the darkness. It's not without peril, but if we stand together Dwarf, Elf and Man we shall overcome those perils and then be able to push further into the forest and purge it from evil. One step at a time."

As Bofri addressed him about the folk-moot last year Ewald nodded and answered. "I felt disappointed and sad when lord Ceawin decided to resettle the East Bight instead of settling closer to our lands here as I proposed to him. It would have been much safer for his people to live as far away from the dark forest as possible. However, with this plan Bofri, we can help them by opening up a safer path or even a road between the East Bight and here. That will make me feel better as well."

Allowing the others to say their piece, Beran continued to watch thoughtfully out the window. He was curious about the elf. His scant memories were limited to a few chance encounters in the woods, with few words exchanged and one vague recollection of the Lord Elrond when the council rode south some years past before they drove the Necromancer out. His experiences and the stories of his people all lead him to believe that the elves were very reluctant to involve themselves in the affairs of others. Yet here in Laketown were many of the forest people and this one was offering to aid the dwarves. Times were indeed changing. He wondered what place his people would have in this new world. Nevertheless, he believed in this mission, if only to open the road for his kin in the Bight.

"Don’t mistake me, my lords. I only meant that there is yet much dark and hidden under the eaves of that forest and strange sorceries that can turn what you thought certain on its head. Dark waters change course, fell beasts wash up on shores, the trees seem to move about in certain valleys, and orcs still roam. They may, in fact, have beaten us there."

Rubbing his beard roughly, he coughed.

"But if they have, we’ll drive the bastards out! I am your man in this. The winter has changed my resolve not a whit ."

At length the discussions around the table drifted away from the task at hand, and again towards lighter matters, now that a course of action was set. Time passed, and the evening drew to its end. The sun sank to the west, to sleep behind the Misty Mountains. Night fell, and the fellowship finally left the Pike and Eel, and the companions scattered after having promised to meet on the morrow.

Barin

As the company disbanded for the night, Dwalin sought to speak to Barin in private, as the matter he wished to speak of was for his ears only.

He told Barin that he had heard disturbing rumours from the west: orcs had been sighted again in the Grey Mountains, and there were even reports that they were stirring trouble. The old warrior appeared concerned, for it was thought by all that after their defeat in the Battle of the Five Armies, their kind would not bother his dwarven kin. Such hopes were, alas, not fully realised, if these reports were to be believed.

Still, he reassured Barin that King Dain had already sent aid, and had granted permission to many of Barin’s folk, who sought to now move to Erebor, to do so freely and with his blessing.

On the next day
Part 2: Where noisome waters pour

On the next morning, the company gathers outside the mansion of Glóin, son of Gróin. It is a large and rich dwelling, not far from the Town Hall. The Town Hall itself dominates this district, the wealthiest in all of the newly-rebuilt and ever-expanding Lake-Town.

As the company enters to the courteous good-mornings of a small group of Dalish guardsmen, they are greeted with the sight of a small gathering in the antechamber. These are folk from Lake-Town, who are here on some business or another from the merchants’ guild, to negotiate prices and deals with the dwarves of Erebor. As they wait, Bofri reminds Lára of Glóin’s imprisonment in King Thranduil’s Halls. Some years have passed since then, he says, but the grey dwarf has not forgotten this ill treatment, and still holds a grudge of sorts against the folk of the Woodland Realm. He advises caution should she seek to address Glóin directly.

spacer.pngLuckily, the fellowship does not have to wait for long: they are rushed into the next room, large and richly ornamented, and ahead of all the merchants and other folk, much to the dismay and frustration of those peoples. There they find Glóin, dressed in white, bent over a desk. As they approach, he lifts his head and a look of gladness is on his face.

’Bofri, it is good to see you again. I was told of your arrival. I hope your journey was uneventful, and that your father is well.’ Then, he turns to the companions and adds: ’And these must be the fellows that will undertake with you that which you have set out to do. Welcome! Please, sit.’ he says as a servant brings chairs to accommodate the entire gathering.

Rules

Since this adventure is a bit of a tutorial, it’s a good time to introduce those unfamiliar with TOR to some of the game’s structures and mechanics.

There are three main structures in the game: Encounters (e.g. audiences or generally talking with important NPCs), Journeys (travelling) and Combat.

This is an Encounter. The way Encounters work is as follows:
_Usually to make a social interaction an Encounter, the fellowship must want something from the NPC(s) in the Encounter. In this case, the fellowship wants boats to travel down the River Running and any other support Glóin can provide. Not all social interactions are Encounters. Minor interactions can be handled with role-playing and a dice roll or two.
_Each Encounter has a Tolerance rating, usually depending on some combination of the fellowship’s highest Wisdom or Valour, and adjusted by things like Standing and / or racial preference or prejudice. This Tolerance rating represents the number of skill rolls you are allowed to fail (collectively as a fellowship) before the Encounter is failed.
In this case, Glóin favours Wisdom, so the Encounter’s Tolerance is 2 + 1 (for having Bofri with you) + 1 (for Barin, who is a dwarf) -1 (for Lara, who is an elf). So total is 3, so if you fail on 3 social skill rolls while talking, the encounter is terminated.
In other cases, this Tolerance rating will not be revealed, but since this is a Tutorial, I will be transparent about the mechanics.
_The first thing to do in an Encounter is to roll Insight. This is done to assess the situation and to ‘read’ Glóin. Any success grants you or your companions bonus dice to be used later on. So before you post anything or have your PCs say anything, roll Insight everyone (TN 14)! Remember you can invoke (appropriate) traits for auto-successes too!
_I'll continue with the rest of the mechanics for Encounters later on!

Insight Results

Lord Ewald: Failure, but can spend 1 point of Hope (or fellowship) to add his Heart score (6) to the result (12), turning the failure into a Great Success (2 bonus d6s).
Beran: Failure. Hope will not help.
Fareth: Failure, but can spend 1 point of Hope (or fellowship) to add her Heart score (5) to the result (10), turning the failure into a (normal) Success (1 bonus d6).
Lara: Failure. Hope will not help.
Barin: Failure. Hope will not help.

How Hope / Fellowship work

Any time you fail a roll, you can also choose to spend 1 point of Hope to add an attribute to the result of the roll. The attribute that is used is the one above the skill (e.g. for Awe or Song, it's body, whereas for Persuade or Riddle, it's Wits, etc.

If your skill is favoured (underlined), you get to add your favoured attribute. This can only be done if the new result (with the attribute added in) turns the fail into a success. Hope is not spent pointlessly!

Instead of Hope points, you may also use a fellowship point (unless you are a Ranger!) to achieve the same effect (essentially, a fellowship point is the same as a Hope point). However, this must be approved by at least 50% of the players. If it is not approved, you can still use the fellowship point, but you also gain a point of Shadow in addition!

Hope is a useful resource that is slow to replenish. It can be replenished mainly through the felowship point pool and your fellowship focus. Certain Virtues / Rewards (e.g. the Confidence Mastery) may also increase or top up your Hope, as well as certain fellowship phase undertakings or in-game events.

Keep an eye on your Hope and Shadow points. At any time your current Shadow becomes equal to your current Hope, you become Miserable, and as such are in danger of suffering a bout of madness and gaining permanent Shadow points (and negative character traits!). If your Hope becomes zero, you become extremely demotivated and will flee any danger!