Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Year 2949: The King's Hunt

Vladim

Right, sorry this reply took so long. The site has been unreliable for a while, but now it seems more or less stable, so I think that we can proceed.

_Regarding Ruthiel's bow: Barin can draw from his extensive knowledge of the history of his peoples to identify the bow as Penbregol, a weapon strung with mithril by the famed dwarven smith Gamil Zirak in the depths of time, at an age where the friendship between the dwarves and the elves was strong. Given this history, the bow itself must signify great worth and prestige - Ruthiel must be someone important.

_The audience: With the help of Lára, Ewald secures the audience, using Bard's letter and tales of the fellowship's discoveries in the Long Marshes. All of this seems to help expedite the process, as there is no waiting time - the importance and urgency of the meeting is understood by the elves, in spite of the ongoing preparations for the hunt, and the audience is arranged for the very next day.

The audience itself takes place in King Thranduil's throne room, the most beautiful room in an already impressive palace, surrounded by the fine work of the Sylvan Elves. Thranduil is not alone: his entire court has gathered to hear these strange peoples (which include dwarves - a most unusual sight in this palace). The court includes Thranduil's two sons and his daughter, all three of them nobles of great importance, as well as several courtiers, highborn elves, hunters and heroes of the Woodland Realm. All eyes are upon the fellowship as they speak.

Because of the gift that Barin secured, the Tolerance for this encounter is 2 (Barin’s Wisdom) +1 (for the gift) and there is no penalty because of the elves’ prejudice against dwarves (there normally would be a -1). That means that the encounter can continue until 3 rolls have been failed, or Barin’s objectives met, whatever comes first. If you fail, don’t worry – participating in the hunt (if you so wish) and distinguishing yourself there can help regain the elves’ respect and attention. So it does not necessarily mean the failure of your mission.

The encounter begins with Thranduil presenting the fellowship with words of your deeds (though no details), and by thanking you for the gift (which he is wearing). As a result, you do not need to introduce yourself, only to speak of why you have come, or elaborate on the news you bring from elsewhere (e.g. a more detailed account of the previous adventure, or news from Bard, Dain II, Lake-Town, etc), or try to convince the elves to help you. We don’t need to role-play the encounter, but if you can outline Barin’s arguments, that would be great, because I will look at them and modify the TN for the roll you are providing. Give me one roll / argument at a time so that I can post a brief response from the king before you continue. This may be the most important part of this adventure, so I am happy to take some time to work out future relationships etc.

Given the Elvenking's known mistrust of Dwarves, Barin will try to take more of a back-seat in this Encounter and leave most of the talking to Eawald where he can. However, when prompted by Eawald or the King and his retinue, he'll happily enter the discourse, and will also prompt Eawald where he thinks necessary.

The fellowship will begin by bringing news from the kingdoms of Dwarves and Men and filling in the detail of their previous expedition, and the discovery of the Marsh-dwellers. They'll also tell of King Bard's impending wedding, the attack on his bride's party and the stolen dowry to try and offset any future claim by the Elvenking on the entire treasure. They'll also make a point of apologising for King Bard's non-attendance at the hunt, although the reasons for this should be obvious given the explanation of the attack on his bride's party.

Once done, onto the discussion as to what they actually want from the Elvenking [specifically, this is around:
1. Ownership/division of the treasure.
2. Rebuilding of the road
3. Whether the Elves will provide martial assistance in getting rid of the Marsh-dwellers]

First and foremost is the argument that the Marsh-dweller's treasure should be reinvested in the reconstruction of the Eastfort and road in order to promote trade between the free peoples rather than simply being split between the kingdoms.

Persuade (TN14):
Dice Roll: 1d12 2d6t
d12 Results: 10
d6 Results: 1, 4 (Total = 5)
Sum Total: 15

[*phew* ... just scraped it]

Heh... not bad roll. It's good enough to continue.

If you want Barin to assume a more passive role in this encounter and let Ewald (or others) do most of the talking, that's totally fine... just let me know and I can give you a summary of Ewald's and Thranduil's discussion, with critical junctures where Barin could jump in (should he wish it). But given that in this entire adventure, Barin is the only PC, I am happy with him having a more prominent role, even if based on character backgrounds Ewald is probably the most comfortable in this setting (but only marginally I'd argue - elves are quite unique and strange and Ewald has no huge experience with them either).

That being said, both the King and his court will listen carefully to all that the fellowship has to say, not saying much in return. The tale of the expedition and the marsh-dwellers interests them quite a lot - this everyone should be able to see plainly - and they ask lots of questions about their numbers, description, 'palace' etc. King Thranduil knows some info (from Lara) but most other elves seem very curious about these 'Marsh-dwellers'. Barin can only guess that it was only recenty (with Lara's return) that they became aware of their existence.

The news about King Bard's wedding are met with a subtle smile from Thranduil, and a few whispers amongst his court, but there is not much else that anyone adds to those news. As for Bard's non-attendance, Thranduil simply waves his hand, refusing the necessity of an apology: he says that Bard is a King now and has important matters to attend, and so it is understandable that he cannot join the hunt.

Now, after the negotiations start, Thranduil will listen to Barin / the fellowship, but before they can go to deeply into the matter, the Elvenking asks a simple question: 'Do you seek my permission, my counsel, or my support in your endeavour?' The question is addressed to the entire fellowship, so anyone can answer. A successful Insight check (TN 14) reveals that Thranduil is not so much wary of the fellowship, but wants to judge each member's wisdom. Failure means that the character interprets the words as a subtle threat - Thranduil seems (to the PC) impatient, arrogant and dismissive of the fellowship.

I'm happy enough for Barin to continue participating in the conversation. I'd merely suggested that he would take a slightly more passive role in this owing to Thanduril's known distrust of Dwarves in general, but since that's not an issue here ...

First off then, the roll in response to his question...

Insight (TN14)

*phew* just made it 

So, Barin steps up in response and bows: "We in truth, seek all three if such may be permissible. We certainly would not dream of sending an armed force into your kingdom without first seeking your permission, and in this endeavour we would also certainly seek support for is it not well known that Elven bowmanship is unsurpassed, and who knows the run of the forest better than yourself and your people? But wisdom would certainly have us seek any council you may have to give. My Lord."

*Gaah* ... just noticed, rolled an 11, so critical failure 

In that case, Barin and the fellowship noticably bridle at the percieved provocation. Hands moving swiftly to rest on the hilts and hafts of weapons. Barin responds "If you are not prepared to listen to our request my lord, then why call us to this charade of a council at all?"

Mechanics

You are correct in that with the 11 it is a failure. Mind you, it's not a 'critical' failure; it's just that the 11 on the d12 counts as 0. There are times when the 11 also counts as an auto-fail / critical fail (mainly in combat, I think), but not when using Common Skills. So if you had rolled well on the d6s you could have still succeeded on the check, provided that you had enough d6s (not in this case sadly).

Anyway, this only counts as a failed roll, and you still need to fail 2 more to end the encounter. Additionally, when I said 'threat' I should have clarified that I did not mean a threat of violence, but rather a threat of not helping your mission. It's impossible to have things escalate to physical violence here; no-one is being homicidal or anything like that. The worst-case scenario here is to be dismissed without any aid.

Story

As soon as Ewald sees Barin tense up and move his hand to his weapon, he does his best to ease the tension – placing his hand on his dwarven companion’s shoulder to reassure him. It’s a bit too little too late, as Barin’s body language is easily noticed by the elves, but Ewald also tries to make amends with his words. He says that the fellowship seeks Thranduil’s permission at the very least, though he would welcome anything the Elvenking has to offer.

The comment is met with a quick retort from one of the elven nobles, spoken in a jovial tone that could at best indicate amusement and at worst sneer or contempt (though it is not clear which of the two it is). The elf-prince says that the fellowship did not need Thranduil’s permission earlier, when they explored the ruins, so why would they now? A few of the elves join in laughter upon hearing this question.

The uncouth Asfrid quickly retorts that if the elves’ domain extends to the eastern eaves of Mirkwood, then it should be better patrolled, suggesting that the place where the Eastfort lies is wild land, long abandoned by the elves (regardless of what they themselves say). Ewald quickly tries to de-escalate again by saying that all Free Folk were represented in the endeavour, not just Dwarves and Men, but also Elves, as Lara was with them at the time (which Lara quickly confirms, throwing in a few good words about the fellowship – Bofri and Barin included). His effort is met with some success, though not all are reassured: Ruthiel in particular says that the Woodland Realm has many sentinels who roam the Great Forest, which the fellowship would have seen, ’if you had keener eyes and sharper ears and were not so blinded by your desire for gold and power.’

While the argument has been taking place, Thranduil remains silent, content to watching and hearing all from his elevated throne, his demeanour betraying no emotion. But as things heat up (especially with Ruthiel’s last comment), he raises his hand, and immediately silence falls in the hall, as no-one dares question his authority here. He addresses Barin again, saying that this is not a charade, and repeats his previous question, this time with a greater sense of urgency, and specifically to Barin – not the entire fellowship as before.

Barin takes a deep breath and tries to bring his emotions back under control.

"Forgive me". Then after a noticeable pause he adds "My Lord. A misunderstanding that is all. We seek your council, your permission and your aid if possible in our mission to clear out these Marsh-Dwellers. We seek not riches and gold for ourselves as your huntress seems to infer, but to make the region safer for all travellers and traders. By reclaiming, rebuilding and reopening the Eastfort and the old trade route, we not only bring prosperity to the Elven kingdom and the kingdom of the men of the lake, but also open a route to the woodsmen and Beornings in the shadow of the Misty Mountains.

Furthermore, the timber cleared in the rebuilding can be used in the ongoing construction at Lake-town, sparing the woods closer to your homelands, and eventually, when the river is safe to traverse once more, then further timber could be safely imported from Dorwinion."

spacer.pngThranduil leaned forward from his throne as he addressed Barin. ’You speak openly, unlike your kinsman Thorin, who refused to regard the firstborn as his friends.’ he said. ’I shall give you my counsel, then, though you may regret asking for it when you hear it.’ He took a deep breath, and when he spoke again, his voice was grim and foreboding.

’My father, Oropher, once ruled over this kingdom. His mighty rule extended across the entire forest. Greenwood it was called back then, many centuries ago, and it was untainted by evil. He ruled from Amon Lanc, the Naked Hill, where he built a magnificent city… but he was slain along with much of his great host at the end of the Age that preceded your own. Now Amon Lanc is Dol Guldur, once the seat of the Necromancer, and though he has been vanquished, few dare to venture in those haunted ruins, much less reclaim them. I rule over a diminished kingdom, one which I have toiled to preserve for many centuries. The reach of the shadow is long, alas, in these twilight years where my folk dwindle.

Your folk are too hasty in reclaiming their great realms of old. With Erebor, Thorin was successful, even in death, yet are there not many halls and palaces of that great realm still unclaimed, awaiting to be restored? Durin’s folk would be better served to turn their attention to what they have by good fortune and against all hope gained. There is much work to be done in Erebor yet. Your folk do not know Mirkwood, and all the perils that still remain within. Even the Woodmen do not dare venture too deep. You have witnessed some of the dangers lurking in the Long Marshes, and it was by mere chance that you survived the Marsh-Dwellers. But greater evils yet have have taken refuge in the heart of the forest. The Mountains of Mirkwood are home to innumerable horrors, against which your folk stand no chance. Do not keep on this path, Barin of the Grey Mountains, for it is folly.’

[OOC: Thranduil can discourage you, but he cannot stop you. Still, if you think you can convince him that the mission is not foolish, feel free to argue / roll for it, though it will not be easy.]

"I thank you for the complement my Lord," Barin responds, "it is unfortunate that Thorin Oakenshield refused to speak plainly with you, but his long years dreaming of restoring his father's realm had sadly corrupted his soul. Still, now that he dwells with Mahal's guard, we should not disparage his name or his memory.

You do though, speak wisely. But even if we are unable to restore the road through the forest, we would still seek your aid in reclaiming and holding the Eastfort for surely that would make the river and marshes safer for trade traffic from the far reaches of Dorwinion and beyond.

It would be relatively easy to hold once the fort is restored and garrisoned, and all races would benefit from the extra trade that would flourish because of it.

So again, my Lord, now that we have your council, I would still request your aid and permission."

Persuade:
d12 Results: 11
d6 Results: 5, 1 (Total = 6)
Sum Total: 17

[ooc: **Grr** ... that damn d12 again!]

[OOC: Yeah, in this case, I'd say the RP does not fit the mechanics. The roll is very poor but the argument is very good! I'll let the RP take precedence in this case - I don't think anything Barin said would offend Thranduil or cause him to question Barin. Still, I'll tick off one more point from the tolerance - you may come to understand that this is in relation to the earlier statement about timber and rebuilding (it's a good idea in principle, but Thranduil is cynical about this: he thinks that the Northmen of Dale and Lake-Town will always prefer the wood that are closest to them, as this is easier / cheaper, and transporting timber *up* the Running River would not be something as easily done (if it was down the river, it would be a completely different story. So only 1 Tolerance left!

In our 'main' game we usually make the rolls first and adjust the RP around it - that gets around the problem of good arguments but poor rolls. It's not a perfect solution though, and when this arises I tend to deal with it on a case-by-case basis.]

Thranduil leaned forward, as if inspecting Barin. At length he spoke. 'I... see.' he said at first, plainly, before adding a few more words that indicated his approval. 'A waystation at the Eastfort would be a boon to trade across the whole of Wilderland, if your folk could establish a foothold. But,' he added, 'do not hope that the folk of Dale will be satisfied with timber from that far away, even if their king intends the best for both our folk.' There was a hint of resignation in his voice, mixed with frustration and dissapointment, but the Elvenking did not further comment. Instead, he leaned back towards his throne and remained silent for a moment, pondering.

'Very well,' he said finally, 'I shall send archers and hunters to aid you in your claim. The Marsh-Dwellers have long been a blight on our realm, it would seem, and we have long ignored them, or been oblivious to their foul presence. Though it is impossible to stem the tide of the darkening, perhaps the time has come to reclaim some of my father's realm of old. Your cause is just, and I trust that our aid will not be forgotten, should the Eastfort be located and rebuilt.

As for the Marsh-Dwellers' gold... their kin have stolen from your folk and from those of the future queen's, and I suspect that some of the treasures of the Firstborn may lie buried in their hoard. These shall be reclaimed and returned to my father's treasury, where they belong... Do we have an agreement on this matter, master Barin?'

[OOC: A Riddle check (TN 14) could give you a bit more info about potential outcomes of such an arrangement... though invoking Cunning to auto-succeed also works!]

Barin paused to consider the Elvenking's words a moment before making his commitment...

[ooc: Given the way the dice have fallen for Barin thus far I'll invoke cunning for an automatic success]

"By Durin's beard my Lord, I thank you on behalf of both all Dwarvenkind and the Menfolk of Erebor.

"As you say, the treasures that are identified as belonging to the Firstborn shall be returned to your father's treasury. That looted from the future Queen's dowry shall be returned to her, and the remainder shall be split equally between Dwarf and Man.

"As for the funding of the rebuilding of the Eastfort. That is a conversation I shall leave to others at a later date, but rest assured, your aid in this endeavour will not be forgotten." Pausing for breath, Barin then added with a sly wink to the Elvenking, "Let us also not forget that the Eastfort will lie within the boundaries of your realm, so once reclaimed and rebuilt, I trust we can count on your bows for ongoing support and defence from any that might threaten it.

"... for a reasonable level of taxation of course?"

'I shall hold you to your promise,' said Thranduil, 'but let us talk of the Eastfort when it has been reclaimed. The realm of my father was great indeed, and my folk cannot be everywhere in this Third Age of the world, few as they are; not if we hope to stand against the Shadow of Mirkwood in these Halls.'

It would appear that this matter was settled for now; perhaps the Elvenking would speak again once news from the Long Marshes would come to him.

'As for yourself and your company, I would suggest that you seize this chance to learn more about this great forest, seeing as you are bent on restoring the road of your forefathers. The hunt remains open to you, and to the Free Folk that have come with you. The Northern parts of the forest are not as dark or dangerous as they are in the South, and my hunters and sentinels know them well. You will be safe, and you have a rare chance of practicing your skill before undertaking the challenge that lies ahead of you.'

OOC

I think this is the end of the encounter with Thranduil, for the time being at least. The aid of the elves has been secured, and Thranduil has essentially promised to clear the ruins of the Marsh-Dwellers. He will send a few of his most capable hunters to lead this mission, and will send a messenger back to you when the task has been accomplished.

In the meanwhile, Barin and the fellowship are still invited to participate in the hunt, so Barin can still do that. If Barin participates in the hunt, he will learn more about the skills needed for surviving in the forest. In terms of mechanics, I will let you upgrade some skills (namely Awareness, Explore, Stealth and Hunting) more cheaply, as if they were favoured (Explore, which is already favoured for you, will be discounted even further). This benefit will apply only to the coming fellowship phase.

Alternatively, Barin can argue to be included in the group that will head for the Long Marshes again and deal with the Marsh-Dwellers. Though Thranduil does not doubt Barin's valour, this will need some convincing (give me a skill check). If you go on this mission, you will miss out on the hunt and associated benefits, but you can help in defeating the Marsh-Dwellers.

Regarding the auto success at Riddle with Cunning: Barin thinks that this deal is very good, as it is important to secure the permission and aid of the elves. But it is possible that more cynical or greedy folk might look down on this arrangement. Why should the Elvenking keep the finest parts of the treasure for himself when it is others who discovered it? And what counts as a 'treasure of his folk' anyway? The elves have always thought that they are the superior craftsmen, and their arrogance would drive them to placing a claim on the most precious artefacts. Barin feels that this sort of grumbling would likely be expressed by a few dwarves, especially given the dislike between the two folk. So if word spread of this arrangement, some (admittedly, the most greedy and those who have no love for elves) might view it as unfavourable to Men and Dwarves.

Barin bowed before the Elvenking once more.

"I thank you for your generous offer My Lord. If it pleases I would wish to remain and take part in the hunt. Ultimately, I am not a fighter and would prefer to leave the clearing of the Marsh Dwellers to professional soldiers. We would like to send a runner back to Lake-Town to advise King Bard and King Dain of your aid, and I am certain that they will also send professional soldiers to aid your Elven bows."

OOC

Once clear of the Elvenking's audience, Barin would want to converse with the rest of his fellowship to compose the letter they would send back to Bard - making certain that everything that has been agreed is clear (along with all the subtleties) but in a manner that wouldn't raise any issues amongst the Elves.

As for remaining on the hunt. What he's stated as not being that much of a fighter is only partially true. The main reason he wants to remain is to prevent any overspill of antagonism between Fareth and Ruthiel as he can quite see this becoming bloody - there's obviously a rivalry bordering on hatred between them, and any overspill could seriously jeopardize their mission.

Also, he really wants to try and get a glimpse of this fabled 'White Deer'

After the audience, the fellowship convenes in their quarters to discuss how to proceed, and Lord Ewald agrees to send word to King Bard about what was discussed, and what was agreed. Nearly everyone finds the agreement good and just: even Fareth, though still wary of these folk and their arrogance after her encounter with Ruthiel, must agree that the company made the right decision. Asfrid is still quite amazed at the sight of the woodland palace and all these fair folk, and her mind remains focused on absorbing everything around her; as such, she offers little counsel when the matter of the treasure is brought up, saying simply that she would rather leave such 'important matters' to those who know more, like Lord Ewald and master Barin. Only Dridek raises any real concerns; predictably, the mistrust between the Dwarves of Erebor and the folk of Thranduil is still considerable, and the battle-tested dwarf is wary of these folk and their claim to the 'treasures of their kin'. But he is a warrior at heart, and no great diplomat, and eventually he accepts the will of the fellowship.

Many are the elves that travel between the Woodland Realm and Lake-Town, for trade between these two kingdoms has only increased after the slaying of Smaug. Those who go often to Lake-Town are known as Raft-Elves amongst the folk of Esgaroth. With lady Lara's help, it is arranged so that one of these Raft-Elves passes down the message to one of King Bard's trusted Kingsmen.

[OOC: I am happy to hand-wave the contents of the letter, as I am guessing it will be a rough recounting of the audience and its outcome. If, however, you wish to write it or summarize it, I have no problem with that (though it is not, strictly speaking, necessary).]

On the day after the audience, the hunt begins. The fellowship may choose to join the small party of the Royal Archers of Dale - huntsmen and marksmen of great renown throughout the northern realms of Dale, Esgaroth and Erebor. They are led by Master Sigward, the Captain of the Royal Archers of Dale. Alternatively, the companions may set out on their own. Fareth, eager to prove her worth, argues for embarking seperately, though Lord Ewald is in favour of following Sigward (as he knows his superior skill and fame well).

There are advantages and disadvantages to both options. With the former choice, the fellowship will benefit from the expertise of Sigward and his men, yet in the end it may be that the Dalesmen will claim all the glory if a white deer is felled. With the latter choice, the difficulty of the hunt may prove greater, as the companions will have to rely on their own skills, but so too will their glory should they achieve their goal.

Lara of Mirkwood asks to join the companions, forsaking her kindred for the duration of the hunt. Hers is not a popular decision amongst her folk, yet it is one that Asfrid eagerly approves of. Ultimately, though, it's up to the fellowship (i.e. Barin) to decide.

Once the audience is complete, and the fellowship have discussed the outcome, Barin and Eawald sit down to compose their message to King Bard, which once complete is duly sealed and entrusted to an Elven runner to deliver.

The letter contents are as below:

"My Noble Lord Bard,

Our mission to the Elvenking has been thus far successful. Despite his initial reservations, he has agreed to assist in the clearance of the Marsh-dwellers from the ruins we encountered them in previously.

He warns us against attempting to re-open the road through the forest due to the dangerous and dark creatures that still dwell in that part of the wood. However, he does admit that his forces do not travel so far afield on a regular basis, so it may be possible that his warnings, whilst well-meant, may be erring on the side of caution. Still, I would heed his council that we proceed cautiously with the full restoration.

However, we have managed to convince him of the need to at least rebuild the Eastfort and the docks along the river, if only to promote trade along the river route from the Eastern kingdoms. We have also managed to gain tentative support for ongoing defenses and scouting of the woods along with the forces of Dwarves and men.

This has all come with a cost however in the treasure of the Marsh Dwellers. The Elvenking has laid claim to any treasures of the Firstborn that may exist in the hoard. Whilst none of us see this as unreasonable, there may be some difficulty in assessing which of the treasures are genuinely from the Elvenking's treasure, and those which have likely been stolen from other hands through the years. However, given the circumstances, none of us see this as being an unreasonable request.

One further point of note is that the Elves are growing weary of the encroachment of men into the forest for the removal of lumber. Whilst I realise that there is a dire need for timber for the rebuilding and expansion of lake-town, I would urge caution to either take lumber from further afield (outside of the Elven realm) or to only take lumber that is already dead. I fear that continuation on the present path will lead to much antagonism between the realms of Men and Elf.

If we have more to report, I will send further notes back with Elven runners, otherwise we shall hopefully converse with you directly once the hunt is complete.

Yours, etc....."

The following day, they prepare themselves for the hunt. Eawald is keen to to join the group led by Master Sigwald, but seeing Fareth's enthusiasm for the hunt, Barin argues that perhaps the fellowship would be better embarking as their own group. At least that way, there is more possibility for a successful hunt for the Men and Dwarves, plus with Lara accompanying them, they should have some 'home' advantage. Eawald eventually gives in to the Dwarf's arguments, and the fellowship proposes themselves as a separate group for the hunt.

Right, so let's continue with some hunting rolls to see how the fellowship fares... I'll summarize the results for the rest of the fellowship, and at the end of this post I'll let you know how Barin can contribute. TNs are all at 14.

Ewald Hunting Day 1:
Dice Roll: 1d12
d12 Results: 12

Asfrid Hunting Day 1:
Dice Roll: 1d12 1d6t
d12 Results: 12
d6 Results: 5
Sum Total: 17

Fareth Hunting Day 1:
d12 Results: 1
d6 Results: 3, 1 (Total = 4)
Sum Total: 5

Lara Hunting Day 1:
d12 Results: 7
d6 Results: 1
Sum Total: 8

Summary of day 1: The company ventures into the woods with the rest of the hunters, Elves and Men, and soon follow their seperate way. The company splits up and Ewald and Asfrid chance upon the trail of a pair of deers and their fawns; they reunite with the company and share the news, and the hunt is on. The company follows the tracks until nightfall and then sets up camp until the following morning.

Ewald Hunting Day 2:
Dice Roll: 1d12
d12 Results: 6

Asfrid Hunting Day 2:
d12 Results: 10
d6 Results: 5

Fareth Hunting Day 2:
d12 Results: 4
d6 Results: 6, 4 (Total = 10)
Sum Total: 14

Lara Hunting Day 2:
d12 Results: 9
d6 Results: 6

Summary of day 2: Ewald leads the company further into the woods, following the trail of the previous day, but eventually it is lost, so the company splits up again. It is Asfrid who recovers the trail; she summons the rest of the company and the fellowship gathers and continues the pursuit. The fellowship is now drawn deeper and deeper into the forest, in a sea of trees without paths about them, and progress must be made slowly. Fareth assures that they are close to their quarry, and so they must walk carefully and quietly to avoid alarming their prey. Lara warns the companions against slaying a hart, the male counterpart of the white hind: not only are dark harts dangerous and territorial, especially with the hind and her fawns about, but killing a hart is thought to bring ill fortune for many years. Despite their cautious approach, the companions do not find their prey on this day, and must yet again set up camp for the night.

Day 3: As the company continues the search, they find many tracks, all of them fresh, and can hear the tell-tale signs of the white deer about them. At times those with keen eyes catch sight of a white glimmer in the woods, and they have time to point this to their less perceptive companions, though none of the fellowship is within bow-shot.

@Suzuki_Stumpy: To continue the narration, give me the following rolls: Hunting, Stealth, Awareness, Explore and Search. I will set the scene depending on your results!