Year 2949-50: Sentinel of the North

Vladim

spacer.pngGramtyng, for once, managed to hold his tongue on what he thought of Dahr-Ol's reckless suggestion, and instead concentrated on figuring out the words he'd seen cut into stone. Nothing had come to mind, so instead he walked after everyone else. A dead man, looking so content, almost contemplative, a chess set near him. "Its almost like he's waiting for someone to make the next move. He seems... at peace." He frowned, glancing at the table. "...'Do not pity me'...? It seems to be the same hand as before." The bard shook his head. "I do not pity you, unknown soldier. I salute you. Your end was on your terms, and you likely denied the enemy what they desired."

Annungil pressed carefully through the secret doorway after they managed to activate it and press it open, but there was no threat here, even as he blinked in the bright sunlight flooding in through the open doorway, although he did step inside to stare at the skeleton, still intact in his pose. Dahr-Ol spoke freely and there was some sense in such words.

"Aye," Annungil said at long last, "It is perhaps possible, although I know little enough of the lands in the far north. It would indeed be a ruined homecoming to arrive alone in such a place, if that be the case, or who carved such words as we have seen, nor am I one to oft play a game such as this, so I cannot understand the pieces, but perhaps it is indeed the man from our dreams, who in a way, was our summons to this place. Perhaps they were prayers he invoked to any of the great powers of the world sent to us in dreams. But it was wise indeed to bar this place against intrusion, for it would make a nigh-impenetrable bastion were the Enemy in Gundabad to hold such a keep."

He took a step out and looked up to the roof, taking the first step carefully before the next as he climbed the last little way to the top of the tower.

'And there is nothing more that I can do to help it. The board is set, and the pieces are moving.'

J. R. R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

Whatever it was that the Lake-Man whispered in Nori’s ear appeared to have its effect instantly: the stout dwarf, who had remained cryptically quiet throughout the entire journey, turned to dig into his pack, and within a few minutes produced two chess pieces of remarkable craftsmanship. They were white, and matched those upon the table perfectly. Clearly, they were part of that very set.

If any of the companions had reason to be not as surprised, it had to be Barin. So that was what Nori had found in the snow… He had let the matter pass, but had not forgotten it. But there was more, for Nori held another piece: a white rook, shaped like a great tower… not unlike that which they were at present within.

The companions now turned their attention to the chessboard, which had thus far been overlooked, in favour of searching the room, or pondering the skeleton’s meaning or origin. Those amongst them that knew how to play the game could tell that the whites were losing, surrounded by a majority of black pieces… Indeed, so outnumbered were they, that even those who did not understand the rules of chess could guess it. But as Nori positioned the knight and the rook upon the board, in well-thought of squares (for he knew how to play) the situation changed: the addition altered the balance of power, and now it was the whites that had the advantage, though this was only obvious to those that, like Nori, could play the game.

OOC

I hope that no-one minds (and especially Yelik), but I fast-forwarded a bit, including Ingi’s successful Persuade check.

It’s up to you to decide if your character knows how to play chess. I suspect that some of the PCs at least should know it. Being good at it... I guess it's something that could be represented by a high Riddle skill.

I think there’s nothing left to do here but move on to the rooftop. I'll move us up in a day or two, as Varon suggested in his post!

After scouring the room and finding everything that they could, the companions determined to ascend the stairs, and slowly climbed towards the roof, walking into the light. The roof itself was vast, fortified with battlements for archers and stone-throwers to launch their projectiles from, and murder-holes beneath, cunningly placed and well-hidden, affording any defenders great advantage. Above them, the ravens circled, and cawed loudly at times, and at others they landed near them, or perhaps even on their shoulders or outstretched arms, thus indicating their allegiance.

But none of this was what caught their attention at first.

A giant bird-nest lay in the middle of it all. Such was its size that it was instantly obvious to all, as soon as they had seen it, that this was the nest of a Great Eagle. Or, at least, that it had once been. Countless twigs and branches formed it, but at places they were thrown in disarray, and much of it all was buried under layers snow, indicating that its occupant had long abandoned it. Within it, those bold enough to explore found no traces of the creature’s presence. Only a feather or two, discovered after much time spent searching, old and damaged, but great in size, confirming what they had likely guessed already.

And though it was not the home of a Great Eagle, they knew that they could perhaps use it as firewood, if push came to shove, and if their own supplies were depleted. Water, too, posed no problem: they could melt the snow, and boil it, and that would be sufficient to sustain them. Food was a greater issue, but they had some in their packs. It would last them a little longer.

♫ Skyrim OST-Wind guide you ♫

As others looked over the parapet, their eyes, in the bright daylight, could clearly see Gundabad, and the gates of the realm that was once home to the dwarves, but now a foul den of orcs and goblins. From here, they could survey the scenery like generals studying the field of battle. It was then, and only then, that the importance of the strategic location of the watchtower became apparent. With its countless fortifications, its vast halls capable of holding many men and the provisions needed to sustain them, and its near-unassailable location upon a narrow mountain-spur, this tower could be nigh-impregnable, and a terrible obstacle for the orcs… if it were manned again.

If…

Could that have been their destiny? The reason why they were summoned here, by dreams and circumstance? It seemed impossible to deny it now. At long last, their task was clear. But it would not be one easy to complete… Such an undertaking could take years, if not decades.

OOC

Congrats! You are closer now.

Even though the ‘destiny’ has been revealed, you don’t really need to follow it; you are still free to deny it, or walk another path. It’s ultimately up to you. This part of the adventure is rather open-ended in this way, so if the choice is (at any point) to leave, that’s totally ok, and we can wrap up the adventure with that.

For now, feel free to make Awareness and Search checks for additional information. Both at TN 14. One check per player at most.

I also want to give Annungil and Dahr-Ol the chance to befriend ravens, since all the other PCs have one. If you’re interested in that, this is a good place to start, and we can work the details (incl. mechanics) into the story.

spacer.pngDahr-Ol peered over the edge of the great tower. It felt like he could see the whole of the region. He wondered how the previous inhabitants had been taken unaware. Or perhaps they had seen the threat and trusted too much to the strategy of holding fast. He thought of the chess pieces found in the snow. The defenders of this place had asked for help. They had sent for horses and whatever the tower piece symbolized. The messenger must have died enroute. Dahr-Ol talked aloud as he puzzled the matter through.

"This place could give the free cottars the relief they need if it were held. But Viglund and his son have not the temperament for such duty. Nor the will to deny their base urges that the man below us demonstrated.

Beorn does not desire the expansion of his realm, nor does he want to create armies and forts.

The dwarves desire this place, but clearly it was the work men and dwarves together. Would Rohan be willing to support such an endeavor so far from home?

Black Tom seemed fair and just. But we know him very little, and he did not have men to spare. Could the free cottars work this land? It does not look suited to farming."

Dahr-Ol continued to stroll the parapet. Stopping at times to peer far off at some distant point, occasionally asking Elfwyn what she thought a peak might be named, or if she saw movement far across the vale.

spacer.png"I doubt my kin would desire this particular place" said Barin, in response to Dahr-Ol's musings. "We much prefer to be below ground - or at the very least, far closer to it."

It was notable that the redoubtable Dwarf was maintaining his distance from the parapet.

"All we want is to reclaim our homes and mines of old. Naught more. Naught less. Although you are correct in that this magnificent edifice has the hallmarks of my Kin all over its construction.

"Is there any sign of enemies out there in the field? Whilst we may well be safe and secure in here, we will have to leave eventually. I'm also keen to see what lies below the ground level - perhaps it may merely be cellars and storage, or perhaps there's a passage we can find to lead us into Gundabad yonder?

"As for whom should this place be given over to? I think we can all agree that should Viglund and his kin find this place, then that could birth an evil worse than already occupies the mountain, but any other decisions should be put to free council of not just menfolk, but all the races as well."

He sighed and looked towards the dishevelled nest in the centre of the rooftop. "It is a shame that no eagles appear to still be nesting here. We could have encouraged them to fly to Erebor - not only my kin there in great numbers, but the menfolk of Dale and Lake-town could also have fielded numbers to assist. And they deserve to know sooner than later of what we've found here."

Annungil strode to the roof of the tower and stared in awe at the sight of the neat, before eventually slowly looking it over and searching it for the feathers before eventually moving to stand at the lip of the tower, facing northward at first and then westward, towards the peaks and beyond. The others discussed who should take possession of the tower and he stirred himself from the sight of the sun on the snow-clad peaks.

“Arnor could garrison it, and perhaps even helped build it, if she had still a king upon the throne across the mountains. And still, my people could perhaps hold here, as we once held towers on the marches of Mordor. But we are far from Minas Tirith and could not sustain it. The tower is too remote, too isolated, and impossible to supply or reinforce. The Free Cottars know enough perhaps to sustain those who dwell here, but they lack the discipline and training in arms to hold such a place against an army, nor did they seem to have the population required to field a permanent garrison.”

His brows furrowed and he looked up at the ravens as they circled the tower. “Could they be asked to bear a message to Erebor or Dale?”

spacer.png"The men of Dale are honest. But it has been less than a generation since they repossessed their own home. I do not think they have even fully repaired their own city from centuries of abandonment. I also think sending the message ahead of us would be ill advised. We will have a long journey back. News like this will spread rapidly. There are more greedy men than just Viglund about. And the enemy has spies as well. We might lose this place to bandits. Or worse.

We should hold it's secret while consider the matter. After all, we don't even know how they locked it yet. I think it would be unwise to make its location known until we can at least do that.

We should check the stairs down, and sleep here tonight.
If no enemies show then perhaps it will be safe to leave it inlocked."

It was, perhaps, the awe-inspiring sight of the distant horizon, with its mountains and snow-capped peaks, or the discussions about what to do next, or their investigations of the abandoned nest. Whatever the case, no-one had noticed the enemy approach: a small party of orcs, they looked like insignificant black insects from that height, but by the time they had seen them, they were not far from the sealed entrance.

No doubt they had heard the cries of the battle-horns and were sent to investigate. They were only a small scouting party; no more than a dozen. Surely they could cut through these orcs like a hot knife through butter, but how many would Gundabad send next? What evils would it spew forth from its innards? They had not seen them come, not before they were too close, and now they brought to mind the tales they had heard of the mountains: that they were honeycombed with holes and tunnels and secret passages, long-forgotten, claimed by the orcs centuries ago. Could it explain this devilry?

Whatever the case, a decision was now upon them. Flee while they still could? Stay and defend the tower? Hide? Whatever it was, they could not delay it for much longer.

spacer.png"The enemy approaches... foul orcs. Not many but enough. Barin, can you find a way to lock this fortress from the outside, so that we may escape? I have no desire to join the tower's former master in his game..."

spacer.pngBarin shook his head.

"No" he replied, "I lack the magical skill to recast the spell of closing that was upon the door, and the physical locking mechanism is not exposed to the outside.

"We can rest safe in the knowledge that those below cannot get in through the door, but just as certainly, we will not be able to leave this place unguarded as the enemy will surely take up residence if we do. I doubt that any of them have the skills or attunement to determine that the spell has been broken though, so if we do remain here, it is possible they will lose interest and retreat, not knowing that we've actually managed to enter the tower."

He looked up at the sky, the ravens still wheeling about the tower. "Perhaps, it would be prudent for one of us with the ability to understand their speech, to send them as messengers to our allies across the north. Let them know what we've discovered and what we know. We can hold out here for what, a week, maybe two if we are frugal? Certainly long enough for aid to arrive, and enough time for us to explore what the levels of this place which lie below ground contain. If we're lucky, who knows, mayhap we can find a hidden exit that might allow us to come upon those foul orcs from the rear?"

spacer.png"It is true, this was once the land of my people... But they have since moved on, leaving naught but ruins. I am afraid I am not a good person to ask, however, being an exile. The Mad King's interests are beyond me - perhaps he would be keen on sending a small group here. But in my eyes, he is just as likely to send a few chickens as a few men. No... I dont think Rohan can be counted on in this case. The dwarves may not desire this place, but they do wish for Gundabad back, do they not? This would make a fine foothold for this. Of course..." Gramtyng paused. "There is still the issue of Viglund. He will not take kindly to an armed force with a fortress in 'his' lands - if he ever finds it. And trusting him to man this place seems folly. The free cottars are unsuited to soldiering - they are a hardy folk, but they are farmers and hunters, not guardsmen." He listened to Annungil's words before nodding. "Had Arnor a king - or Gondor made a demand - perhaps Rohan might be forced to act. But as it is..." He shook his head. "However... The Northen Vales also hold the city of the Eothed - perhaps ruined now, but it might be rebuilt, if this tower was reinforced. After that, the supply could be established, and the North would be far more livable."

Seeing the enemy climbing their way to them, the rohirrim's features darkened, and his hand went to his blade. "I've no desire to do so either, but if they've not yet seen our presence, let us keep it that way, and stay here. We could be rid of them, and the world would be brighter for it, but if any escape, they will summon more. They may summon more anyway, if they sniff out our tracks headed only one way but not the other - so perhaps we let the ravens spy on them, and send a message to Erebor or Dale now, as opposed to later, when they may try to surround us." The thought again returned to him, his words echoing 'no desire to do so'. But... Perhaps that was why they were here, after all. He had a place to return to, but it was not as if he lacked for business that needed to be accomplished in the Northern Vales. But for a rider to man a fort? He was far more useful in the field... wasnt he?

They saw the orcs before they had seen them. Quickly and quietly, they resolved not to reveal themselves, even though they held the superior position, and despite the fact that an ambush with favor them. Instead, forsaking such tactical advantage, they chose stealth, and they left the roof and begun descending the stairs, seeking the lower levels.

Torches once again became necessary to navigate the depths. As the delved deeper, they passed through a great chamber where a stockpile of provisions must have been held in ages past. Smaller rooms connected to it: they must have once been cellars, and within them wells were dug, though it was unclear if they had since run dry, or if they still held water of drinking quality. All rooms now stood empty, cold and bare, and their vastness made them seem even more so. If a garrison had once been stationed here, then the soldiers must have taken everything with them. Theirs had not been a hasty retreat.

Regardless, no danger lurked within these rooms. If ghosts still haunted them, they must have been of the metaphorical kind, and not monsters that wanted their lifeblood. To explore these rooms thoroughly would have taken time, and thus they postponed such an undertaking; instead, they continued their descent, seeking the final room at bottom.

At long last, they came to the lowest level: a circular chamber about twenty yards in diameter. The floor itself was barren at the center, devoid of features. That which was most notable was a set of passages radiating from the circumference. Eight in total, small and cramped, extending towards all four cardinal points, as well as those four in between. They were tall enough for a dwarf to walk through, but any man-sized folk would have to crouch or crawl.

Not at present, however. All passageways had been collapsed, and anyone seeking to explore them could at best proceed for no more than a few yards before this became readily apparent. There were ashes on the ground, indicating that they had been set ablaze and then sealed, and most of the wooden beams that had once lined the wall had not survived. An attempt had been made to close any remaining holes with stones and soil, though it was easy to pry loose such masonry. Bricks from the top levels and elsewhere had been brought down to this end, but the workmanship seemed shoddy; slow and painstaking. It gave the impression of being incomplete.

What were these tunnels? Where had they once lead? What had happened here? Could they be repaired? And, if so, how much time would it take?

OOC

1. Search checks (TN 14) to find stuff.
2. Riddle checks (TN 14) to figure out further information. Target one of the questions at the end of the post to address it (Great/Extraordinary success will answer one or two more, respectively). Barin’s Stone-craft can be invoked for an auto-success.

spacer.pngDahr-Ol poked at the makeshift brick work. He could understand collapsing the tunnels if the garrison knew they would be gone for years to come. But the makeshift piling of the stones seemed unlikely to stop an enemy who could dig this deeply of their own accord. He wondered if there was something else hidden within the rubble.

"We have found graves outside. A purposefully entombed man on the inside. The garrison left of it's own accord after destroying their tunnels.

I feel as though the answer is drifting in front of me, yet I cannot grasp it like. Like smoke drifting across a lake, or the last flash of fire in the sky as the sun sets."

spacer.pngGramtyng has mostly remained quiet as they searched the tower. There was a whole lot of things here he did not understand - individually they made sense, but put together, he simply wasnt seeing the meaning. "I know what you mean." He finally broke his silence. "Individually, these things make sense to me. A tower that was defended, which means some defenders fell, hence graves. The man who stayed behind while others retreated. Destroyed pathways into the tower so it could not be taken. But if you look at these things together, this manner of act is without meaning to me. Why was anyone necessary to stay and die such a death? Was he watching the retreat for them? Why have the enemy not scaled the walls, if they could not get through underground nor gate? And the tunnels look... Strange. I am certain Barin can clear that up, however."