Year 2949-50: Sentinel of the North

Vladim

Annungil followed them down through the tower, walking quietly as he could manage on the steps, reverent of those who had lived and at least the one who had died in the tower. While his hand still rested on the sword, he slid it back into the scabbard. As they entered the basement, he stood and watched with a frown as he turned slowly around the chamber, studying the layout of the room.

“I do agree,” he said at last, “This is peculiar in many ways that I cannot name.” He frowned and walked slowly around the room, studying everything and running his hand along the stonework and the tunnel entrances. “Perhaps there is something, a key to the riddle, not plain to see. Or some watchman’s log or diary with more information.”

As the company paused to ponder, some amongst them seemed to slowly begin putting together the riddle, or at least parts of it.

From his many readings, Ingi could guess that the tunnels-or some of them at least-had once led outside, through secret passages made to abandon the tower had the defenders found themselves vastly outnumbered, and unable to hold out against their enemies. He had no concrete evidence for it, yet it seemed a safe assumption to make, as he knew that such structures were often built under similar fortified towers. The passages that had not led outside were perhaps connected to other rooms, though, once again, this was mere speculation.

Barin examined the tunnels with dwarven cunning, for he knew much about such stone-craft. They seemed as if dug out by his folk, and also collapsed in a manner that dwarves would have done it, had they such need. It would take weeks to repair them, if not longer, but perhaps it was possible, depending, of course, on their length and state.

Most important of all, he amongst all others understood that the tunnels had been collapsed simultaneously, and from within: from the very location that they all now stood. Why had they not been collapsed from the outside? None would have needed to stay behind if they had collapsed them from without. But if a besieging army had surrounded the tower, then the deed would have been seen by the enemy, and thus reveal the secret passage. And that is assuming that the escaping defenders had had a chance to collapse the tunnels with haste and stealth.

That was not what had happened. Clearly, someone had stayed behind to overlook it, and ensure that it was done properly. Of course, he would have sealed himself in-his final act of sacrifice.

The skeleton near the roof. He must have been the last defender. It must have been him who had collapsed these tunnels... there was no better explanation for it.

As for Annungil, he turned his attention to the walls, and scanned them for clues. At first his search was fruitless, impaired by the dimness of the torchlight, but at length, he found something. More words, carved on the wall. They read:

'To each their time is given
For each a day must come'

The same style. It was the same hand that had carved them. The last defender. It could have been no other.

spacer.png"Hmph"

Barin muttered under his breath whilst he inspected the collapsed entrances around the basement, prodding a stone here and there, tasting the dust at intervals, and at others, tapping gingerly with a small rock hammer and inspecting the shards produced.

Eventually he stood back in the centre of the room. "Hmm. Curious," he mused. "Well, I can say with some certainty that the stones there came from the same source as the rest of the tower, so these were certainly collapsed. More to the point though, they were all collapsed from here." He stomped the floor where he stood to emphasise his point. "So, that would imply that the poor soul we saw seated above triggered them.

"As to why, who can say?. My guess would be that the defenders of the tower made their way out under siege - these must have led to escape routes, then the lone remaining defender collapsed the tunnels after the retreating defenders made their way - presumably to deny the attackers occupation of this bastion, so well placed that it is.

"Ah, more than that though is pure speculation. I wonder if she might have anything further to add." This last said whilst pointing to the mail that Annungil wore.

spacer.png'Her?' commented Heruthain, rather incredulously. 'That bitter old spirit? I suppose if we could make sense of her riddles and ceaseless lamentations, then it could be worth to ask... though I cannot fathom what things she'd make as swear for it this time. Try, if you must.'

spacer.pngUpon hearing all of this, Núr seemed to stir, and grew rather uncomfortable. The initial encounter with the restless spirit was more than he had the stomach for, and instantly he spoke up.

'We should have left a look-out up on the roof. Who knows what those orcs are up to! I'll go, if I must!'

Thus volunteering himself, he seemed to have found the perfect excuse to extract himself from the situation, should the ghost be summoned here. But he had a point, perhaps. Perhaps they should have left a sentry on the roof.

Elfwyn seemed to agree with the young dwarf, and she nodded at his words, and prepared to join him.

OOC

I'm good if you want to summon the spirit! In future adventures, I may add some mechanics like shadow gained and Riddle rolls required every time you summon her, so that it doesn't become a go-to solution every time you need something from her, but for now I am totally ok with this.

On the rooftop Ingi had little to say, aside from some muttered words at the sight of the orc scouting party. Quietly thanking the prevalence of common sense he followed the others back into the stronghold.

Anticipating the companies need of information as the basis of a decision he explained to Munir some of the speculation amongst the human members of the company and asked the raven directly "What could the Ravens do ? Would they be capable of carrying a message to the beornings or those further afield ? Or did Munir know of any other sources of aid be they human or perhaps avian within reach" As ever, unsure of the nuance of raven speech Ingi waited to see what his companion would reply.

Below ground he like the others searched for anything that may aide him. Adding to Barins declaration Ingi spoke " I agree. In studies and tales of such bulding that are told in lake town it was always typical for them to have a means of escape. And I doubt they would have risked having to pull people out of the ground. For one to collapse all would make the most sense.... Now if we could only work out what path that was.... And where it may lead. If we could do that - he addressed Barin - could we repair it in time ?"

To each their time is given, for each a day must come , Annungil said aloud as he ran his fingers along the stone carvings, a slight frown on his face. "This last defender was a man of great willpower and courage, as well as a keen mind to have such insights and be able to accept them as he did."

At the mention of summoning a spirit, he grimaced slightly but shrugged. "I suppose if necessary, we could try and ask her, although I do not know if she would know anything, or at least I cannot recall her mentioning this tower or any knowledge of it, but she was..."

He paused and then shrugged. "Unnatural."

spacer.pngThe rohirrim nodded in agreement to Barin's words, then shook his head. "I believe that the tower was discovered - so they couldnt leave through the front doors through those who besieged them, and instead left through the passageways, which this lone guardian collapsed after them - in case any would try to make it into the tower using them and follow his comrades, or take the tower entirely. Though, it still does not solve why they havent simply used ladders and ropes to scale the walls... Such a formidable fort could be a key point of any offensive. The tunnels... Barin, do you think you can figure out by the stone's quality how old this construction is, and how old the collapses are? Perhaps they are old enough to lead to Gundabad itself?" He pulled at his beard while Ingi spoke, in contemplation, before nodding absent-mindedly to Nur and Elfwyn - it was a wise thing they proposed. However suspicious he found the woman, he'd never think that she would signal the orcs or some other such nonsense. "I also agree." He finally said. "Let us call upon the spirit - she is certainly old enough to know the truth of this matter - and the oath that binds most of us would benefit greatly from understanding and using this fort."

spacer.png"I do not like this idea of calling up spirits who should be long gone. It was rumored to be a frequent practice among the sorcerers of my former people. If we must, we should do so with great caution and only when our need is great."

spacer.pngFor the first time since they had entered this lost watchtower, Ingi spoke to Munir at length while others discussed their plans. He found his feathered companion helpful, and with the strange tongue of ravens was able to speak to him. When Ingi asked for aid, Munir explained that yes, such a thing was possible, though the crebain of the Vales, the crows that were the ravens’ sworn enemies, were sure to hinder them, or at the very least try, now that they knew of their presence. Still, there were many ravens: in the ensuing skirmish, some would certainly be able to fly off towards various settlements in Wilderland.

That would be the easy part of the task. Munir said that it would not take long, but that it would be best for the companions to send written messages for them to carry, as not all spoke the tongue of birds. Beorn did, and so did Radagast, but as for others… it was unlikely. The ravens would go anywhere they commanded them: Beornings and Woodmen, and even as far as Lake-Town, Dale or Erebor. But though distance was not a concern for them, it would be for any allies secured in this manner, especially in the cold winter season.

spacer.pngMeanwhile, others went about thinking of how to summon that bitter spirit that now accompanied Annungil, but they need not worry about incantations or rituals. The ghost seemed to be aware of the discussions, listening to everything from her refuge, and when she emerged, she wasted no time with niceties or introductions, cutting straight to the point:

’Thou has gained the tower. It bodes well. What aid dost thou need?’ she said. The basement was cold and dark, but the companions could almost swear that it had grown colder and darker still in her presence…

OOC

I used up Ingi’s Raven-speech trait for an auto-success.

I should at some point calculate the distances for winter travelling to let you know how long it would take for any potential allies to come to your aid and help you reclaim the tower (if such is the preferred path). But in summary it’s something like this:
Hill-folk: These are the closest peoples, but obviously this idea has many issues, as they are traditionally enemies of the free peoples. In the long run, Elfwyn and Dahr-Ol might be able to switch some to your side, but doing so with mere messages carried by ravens is unlikely.
Eagles: It is possible to gain the help of the eagles, or at least their curiosity. Obviously, the eagles could arrive quickly, though their aloofness is legendary, and all people of Wilderland know about it.
Viglundings: These are close by, but this idea is problematic on many levels. Still, Gramtyng has friends there-Guthred and, currently, Idunn. He knows Guthred, and understands that he might not be all too pleased with Viglund’s rule presently, though whether or not he would openly defy him… that’s uncertain.
Free cottars: Other issues here; namely, they are for the most part not fighters, and unlikely to undertake such a dangerous summons.
Beornings and Woodmen: These are more likely to come to your aid, especially the former, given your mission from Beorn’s Thanes. They are far, but not too far, so they could help out.
Dwarves, Bardings, Lake-Towners: These cities are quite far; even if they were convinced to help, it would take long for them to come through the Narrows. Barin knows of recent orc attacks there, so that’s an additional complication.

For mechanics, you can write letters to any of these peoples, to be carried by the ravens. For each letter, there should be a skill check to go with it, to see how your request would be received. The difficulty would depend on a number of factors (skill chosen, target peoples or allies, contents of the letter, trait invocation etc). Basically, after you speak to the ghost, and if you decide to stay, you may have a bit of a letter-writing to do.

Annungil considered long as he assessed the new information, rating them against each other. The room darkened as the spirit manifested in there with them. He considered for a moment, "Do you know what befell this tower in the end or any of its history? For know, I think we should send a message to Beorn and the Dwarves, informing them of our discovery, for this will surely affect their policies in these regions. And perhaps a letter to Gondor, at least informing them of what we have found and that we once had an outpost here." He paused for a moment, thoughtful, "And I know little of the Great Eagles of which I have heard stories, but perhaps we could tell them, although I suspect they may already know."

spacer.pngGramtyng was of a different mind than Annungil about where they ought to have sought aid. The Viglundings was the last place he would seek it, and yet... Guthred was more than 'just a Viglunding'. Even if he could not call him 'friend', he was a reliable sort of person, and he knew his views on Viglund. He was not the only dissenting voice, either. With this tower here... Perhaps their dissent could become something louder. "Calling on the Beornings... I do not believe it wise. Beorn, last we know, wished to avoid war - and they'd have to cross Viglunding territory, which could spark it. To top it off, we've already... No, we can talk of that another time. If we endure a siege, Erebor and Dale may send aid... But we would have to endure it first. We've little in the way of supplies, as well. That, perhaps, the Eagles could grant us." The rohirrim tiredly rubbed at his eyes. "...I believe our best chance at increasing our fighting strength is either Guthred or the Hillfolk. Certainly not all of them serve the Shadow." He turned to the ghost: "Anything you have knowledge of about this tower would be a great boon to us - such as where the passages lead, and how far the collapses go."

spacer.pngThe spirit paused, and closed her eyes, as if seeking something that was inwards. When she spoke, sorrow tainted her voice as she revealed that which she knew:

'A tragedy befall this place and realm. Dost thou not sense it? Pain and sorrow have left their traces in the air, the stones, the soil. They linger yet, lamenting that which mars this place yet. Hast thou not noticed it?'

She seemed genuinely surprised that none of them seemed to feel it as strongly as she did, but this was perhaps a property of ghosts and spirits, or elves. Tales spoke of how the fair-folk could speak to the stones, the rivers and the trees... Presently, the emotions threatened to overpower her and drive her back into whence she had come, yet she remained, and when she spoke again, her tone was cooler, and she spoke of things that she knew to be facts:

'The tower is young by the elves' reckoning. Long after I walked this Middle-Earth was it raised. It was to be a guardian, standing vigil over the Enemy, built by the Men of the South. Then it passed to the horse-folk, but they too abandoned it in turn when they left these lands and moved to the South.

An oath was sworn here. A promise given. Alas... Both were broken. More, I cannot say, for I know not of what transpired.'

She turned to Gramtyng: 'But perhaps I can aid thee with the passages.'

spacer.png

♫ Journey OST-I was born for this ♫

Time passed. At length Elfwyn and Núr returned, bringing dire news. More orcs had come, and were coming still. Having found fresh footprints in the snow, they had concluded the obvious. Now they were gathering, like clouds before a storm. Some tried to batter the door, but the old stone held fast. Others tried to challenge the occupants, whoever they were, but they were met with silence. The companions did not give away their presence for the time being, electing to remain inside, hidden and silent, as they determined how to proceed.

Night fell at last. They had resolved to remain, and to send messages to their peoples, carried on the wings of ravens, hoping that they would arrive in time and help them reclaim the old watchtower. If things grew grim, and their situation hopeless, they could seek the subterranean passages and earn their escape. The spirit had scouted them, and indicated the southwestern one as their best chance. Like the others, it too lay in ruin, yet of all it was the shortest, and thus the one most likely to be cleared swiftly.

It would take days, but with combined and concerted effort it could be done, before they starved or froze to death.

Sleep did not come easily that night. As they sat in the great chamber, they spoke in whispers, laying out their plans. All of a sudden, footsteps from above. Quietly, they climbed the stairs, fearing that by some devilry the orcs had breached the tower-an extremely unlikely development, but one they wished to be ready for regardless. What they saw instead was even stranger than that far-fetched possibility. A woman, one that wore her hair in the manner of some noblewoman of the South, as Annungil could tell. She walked the floor above, pacing back and forth, entirely oblivious to their presence, as if she were sleepwalking. Suddenly, as if by some strange trick of the light, she seemed to split into six mirror-images, identical, each unaware of the others. The six shapes shifted, and started walking in different directions: the roof, the basement, the entrance…

OOC

I don’t want to pull a gotcha, but basically you are sleeping, so none of this is real, exactly. But your PCs shouldn’t be fully conscious of it, or at least it should appear real. Some of the cleverest ones may realize that some things feel ‘off’, but no-one should remember when they dosed off. Feel free to RP as you see fit 

The NPCs are with you. Elfwyn sticks with Dahr-Ol, Belgo with Gramtyng, Núr with Barin and Alviss with Ingi. The spirit-elf has long retired to Annungil’s armour, so she’s not present. Heruthain too is present; he will pursue one of the six ghost-like fragments of the woman. Idunn is not here, which is of some significance (hint).

Although this is a bit rail-roaded (sorry!), the idea is for each of the companions (+associated NPCs) to follow a different incarnation of this woman, who is the last defender (surprise!) so as to reveal a different aspect of the tower's history (and hers). It's a bit of a cutscene, in a sense, so I apologize for the limited options, but we'll go back to more conventional decision-based gaming after this.

I’ll post a doodle for voting on where to send ravens too in the OOC and Discord later. Edit: Here! Edit 2: Forgot the eagles, you can consider them as an option too and vote for them.

spacer.pngDahr-Ol pondered long as the spirit had said not much more of use than previously. Though her advice on the tunnel conditions was decidedly more forthright than he would have expected. Broken oaths and promises. Not a surprise he thought. The tower had been build to be held, it was not some makeshift camp built on a cliff wall to be abandoned at first sign of game or an enemy. The builders had meant to endure in this place. The sound of footsteps shocked him from his thoughts. Grabbing his axe and looking for Elfwynn, she was already standing and looking up the stairwell, Dahr-Ol proceeded up, doing his best to keep his footfall muffled.

At first he thought the spirit might have sprung from Annungil's shield again, but a few seconds looking at her face dispelled that notion. She was clearly human.

"Who are..." Dahr-Ol stopped mid sentence when her physical body formed 5 more bodies. She too must be a spirit. He looked behind him, the others were here and seemed to be splitting up to follow the spirit. Dahr-Ol nodded to Elfwynn gestured towards the main entrance, it would be best to take a look at it. The goblins and orcs might be stupid, but they were stubborn and their numbers were growing. He let the spirit move a few paces ahead of him before following, who could know the intent of the dead.

Dahr-Ol & Elfwyn

spacer.png’Something is amiss!’ whispered Elfwyn to Dahr-Ol, pointing out that which, in all likelihood, was already beyond obvious. Indeed, no sooner had the two of them taken a few steps in pursuit of the strange and oblivious woman, than the others-their own companions-vanished as if in thin air, as did the five identical mirror-images.

spacer.pngStill, the woman seemed not to notice. They followed her regardless, as she walked down the staircase, seeking the main entrance. When they reached the room, they saw it as they remembered, except the stone-work was intact, and not broken as it had been when they had gained the entry. It seemed that all was as it once had been, long before the defenders had abandoned it all to ruin and oblivion. The entrance itself was open, and outside daylight reigned, bright and warm.

There, a man stood-tall and armored, but his features were obscured by the light. Further behind him, a group of soldiers, clad in similar fashion, awaited on horseback. The lady of the tower ran to him, and the two joined as one, in a long and powerful embrace. Suddenly, a strange mood manifested within both Dahr-Ol and Elfwyn. The two nameless lovers’ longing and sorrow at this, their final embrace before a long separation, was felt intimately by Dahr-Ol and Elfwyn, as if the feelings were their own.

It would be impossible to put it to words, for it was not to be understood, but only experienced. Perhaps Dahr-Ol would not have realized that Elfwyn too was afflicted by the same spell, had she not sought his hand with hers, and grasped it with an intensity that surprised even him, demanding his full attention.

And that was all. Soon the scene faded to nothingness, and they awakened, finding themselves returned to the tower as it was presently. The rest of their companions too begun to stir, awakening one by one from the strange vision.

(OOC: All PCs awake simultaneously, so I’ll give some time for others to respond, to give them their own scenes and memory fragments, which you can piece together to understand the woman’s backstory.)