Firefox issues

Arklytte

WTAH?!?

Ok, so in addition to the crappy

Mobile look/interface

'Oh, no, we're just making it Mobile Friendly'...yeah, uh huh, pull the other one, it's got bells on it...

, apparently the editing function is screwed up as well.  Every time I edit a post the idiotic WYSIWYG editor has decided that it needs to add carriage returns at the beginning and end of my post for some stupid reason.

If any of you Mod types aren't too busy making this site so much more "wonderful", does anyone have any thoughts of how to correct this extremely irritating behavior?

EDIT: AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And why in the actual hell wont Spoilers BLOODY WELL STAY INLINE?!?

Further EDIT: It doesn't happen in every thread, but it's happened in a couple. In THIS ONE, it is literally every time I Edit/Save.

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

Lets see if I can help.

Using the WYSIWYG editor right now and checking to see if it adds lines.  Haven't seen this issue reported before.

Not sure by what you mean by spoilers staying inline?  If you mean multiple spoilers on the same line then it has to be done with tables and the table needs to be set to 100% to evenly  space the spoiler and each cell needs to be set to top to keep the spoilers in them at the top of the cells. And if you are copy pasting spoilers in tables it is best to do it from the source code to the source code to make sure you maintain all formatting when doing so.

If I can help further just let me know.

We added a line before the edit notification earlier tonight, I will see if that is what is causing the extra CR when editing.

This message has now been edited.

Not adding spaces here, which browser are you using? 

Edited by bwatford
Edited to determine line spacing. (see edit history)

I understand now what you meant as inline spoilers.

Spoilers are line items and have to be on a line by themselves or in a table  It is just how they work here. Ooc tags can be in line however and would work for what you were attempting in the original post.

I'm using FF (v 100, fully updated).

It only seems to be happening in posts where I had a Fieldset, then removed it. Even when I put it back, the issue still remains.  I've been trying to put together some basic templates that I can copy/paste on various threads...not having much luck. This interface is exceedingly frustrating.

Thanks as well for the info on spoilers. Having to brute force a spoiler with a table is ridiculous.  That's absolutely asinine, and HORRIBLE code, but if that's the only way it's going to work, I guess I'll have to learn to put up with it.

I will try to get some time to test later today using the example that your provided with the fieldsets, and browser version.  If I can duplicate it then I should be able to find and fix the issue.  If not I will put the bug on the tracker for the team to look at.

I have created many templates already using only the WYSIWYG editor, but I always copy the source code for them to reuse them.  Actually, keep them tucked away in notepad files for easy grab and paste in. If you are just trying to do it by highlighting with your mouse and then copy and pasting it is hit or miss do to what the copy will pick up or not. Always best to copy from code to code so you don't miss anything.  I even wrote a guide for it in the new users guide.
Tutorial for copying/pasting quoted post on Myth-Weavers Baldr (Baldr to Baldr)
https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/articles.html/articles/baldr-new-user-guide-r9/

Spoilers may be addressed later but for right now they are in-line items, the OOC tag is for inline use, basically does the same thing but with limited formatting Also a lot of the features have context menus. So, Ctrl-right clicking the top left corner of a table will open table control or Ctrl-right clicking in a tables cell will open up the option for cell control or double clicking an image will open up additional options like sizing, floating, etc.

Will get back to you when we know more on the issue.

There seems to be some issues with the forum software and the latest version of Firefox.

1. Images that are copy/pasted cannot be edited for size or float as the context menu will not show anything but 0's. If you add the image yourself using the "Other Media" dropdown Firefox does not have this issue.

image.jpeg.a6b164769b4397371571bd8126ae535b.jpeg

2. Firefox is having problems with the WYSIWYG editor. It is weird problems like adding blank lines when editing post or taking out a fieldset.  These are issues only related to the latest version of Firefox from what I can tell.

Also due to the Enhanced Tracking Protection that Firefox has on by default a lot of the sites javascript and functions do not seem to be working.  Searching the Invision Community Forums suggest that users of IPS turn that feature off for the site as it is blocking functioning.  I did try that, but it did not fix the two above issues.

It is browser related so not sure if we can do anything about them as it is a "Firefox" only issue but wanted everyone to be aware.

@Colin @Eric

I've actually been working on templates from scratch.  I'd rather learn things from scratch than rely on copypasta...its the IT guy in me, its how I do things at work as well.

Part of the problem is that WSYWIG editors are just a crappy choice for a PC based interface.  They're fine for mobile, but, as we were "assured" (ie lied to) time and time again, the new site paradigm was SUPPOSED TO BE 'mobile friendly', not 'geared towards mobile, with PC users taking a hard second place', so, of course, it adds layers and layers of frustration for those of us who are primarily on PC.

Its a rather crappy bait and switch on the Admins part, but, unfortunately, those of us that spoke out against it (despite how many of us there were), are being ignored in the interest of Mobile uber alles.  Since I'm rather fond of several of the members here, leaving isn't an option. I'm feeling like I don't have any choice in the matter, which isn't making the learning process any smoother, nor helping me deal with my irritation.

Thanks again for the heads up.  Despite my general irritation, I truly do appreciate your willingness to help, as well as your suggestions. 

22 minutes ago, Arklytte said:

Thanks again for the heads up.  Despite my general irritation, I truly do appreciate your willingness to help, as well as your suggestions. 

No problem.

It is really a case of the old site is no longer sustainable in its current state and all attempts (over the last two years) at bringing it up to date have failed. That is where we are.  Not to beat a dead horse. It is what it is. We would have moved to something, regardless, and this option probably saves us the headache of conforming to all the new and shiny in the future as this seems to be where everything is headed. I mean look what they have done with Windows.  Suffers from the same mobile crap on desktop, and desktop touch screen monitors. Don't even get me started there. lol

We also live in a highly mobile world now and the responsive mobile design can be seen in everything web design related. BBCode as a whole, not just here, has for the most part been depreciated in exchange for html coding and fancy WYSIWYG editors.  They do not do a great job, they never have. But for 80% of the internet users, they do everything they need to do for them. We have a tech background, and we are old hands, so we look at things different. I hate the mobile push for everything.

As far as the editor goes, it is best to never copy and paste anything and try to retain the formatting.  As I put in the migration tutorial in the user's guide. Always copy and paste as only "plain text".  Then format with the WYSIWYG editor in Baldr.  Works every time and everything you create in it doesn't have the issues that copy/pasting rich text does.

I hated it at first too, but I can now make just about any kind of template you want with it in a few minutes.  There is a learning curve to it, but once you get used to what it can do and how it does it. Well then it is truly easier than typing out html or bbcode for that matter and I have quite the experience in html and CSS. At least where all the stuff you could do on the original MW site is concerned.  Tables are a breeze now which was the huge nightmare in bbcode before. And keyboard shortcuts get you most of your text formatting as well. 

Just keep pecking away at it and if I can be of further assistance just let me know. 
Sorry for the wall of text.

Another issue I seem to be having is that, when I'm editing a post (not while creating one, just when editing), it seems to take more and more resources as time goes on.  It's especially prevalent when using CTRL+Z to correct some error I just made, but it does crop up other times.  I've mostly been able to deal with it by editing in short bursts, saving, then editing again.  But, given the nature of what we do here, sometimes when you get into a writing groove on a character backstory or whatever, stopping the flow of your thoughts so you can save, then reopen the editor, which can sometimes take a moment, can really screw up the whole creative process.

Anyway, just another log to toss on the pile.

I do know that FF has some memory issues all on it's own, that have never really been fully addressed, even though it's been a well reported issue on the official forums for years.  I've been using FF since it came out (back with it was still just Mozilla, and Netscape before that...yeah, I'm that old, and yes, I AM a curmudgeon, thank you very much...and get off my lawn!  *waves cane in vaguely threatening manner...wheezes...sits down in rocking chair*), so I'm familiar with it's quirks, but this seems excessive, even by FF standards.

On 5/26/2022 at 12:16 AM, bwatford said:

No problem.

It is really a case of the old site is no longer sustainable in its current state and all attempts (over the last two years) at bringing it up to date have failed. That is where we are.  Not to beat a dead horse. It is what it is. We would have moved to something, regardless, and this option probably saves us the headache of conforming to all the new and shiny in the future as this seems to be where everything is headed. I mean look what they have done with Windows.  Suffers from the same mobile crap on desktop, and desktop touch screen monitors. Don't even get me started there. lol

We also live in a highly mobile world now and the responsive mobile design can be seen in everything web design related. BBCode as a whole, not just here, has for the most part been depreciated in exchange for html coding and fancy WYSIWYG editors.  They do not do a great job, they never have. But for 80% of the internet users, they do everything they need to do for them. We have a tech background, and we are old hands, so we look at things different. I hate the mobile push for everything.

As far as the editor goes, it is best to never copy and paste anything and try to retain the formatting.  As I put in the migration tutorial in the user's guide. Always copy and paste as only "plain text".  Then format with the WYSIWYG editor in Baldr.  Works every time and everything you create in it doesn't have the issues that copy/pasting rich text does.

I hated it at first too, but I can now make just about any kind of template you want with it in a few minutes.  There is a learning curve to it, but once you get used to what it can do and how it does it. Well then it is truly easier than typing out html or bbcode for that matter and I have quite the experience in html and CSS. At least where all the stuff you could do on the original MW site is concerned.  Tables are a breeze now which was the huge nightmare in bbcode before. And keyboard shortcuts get you most of your text formatting as well. 

Just keep pecking away at it and if I can be of further assistance just let me know. 
Sorry for the wall of text.

Sorry for never answering this.  It's hard to keep up sometimes.  🙂

I hear ya, and I know that MW, as it is, is unsustainable.  Doesn't mean the new site (and the whole Mobile Uber Alles attitude that's taken over EVERYTHING, including, as you say, Windows) is necessarily the best choice.  But even if I, personally, dont like it, it is what it isand I still maintain that the PTB's didn't listen to those of us who had complaints and concerns, but IMO that's been a problem for quite awhile now, and on a whole HOST of issues, not just BALDR...but again, that's neither here nor there, and I'll have to learn to live with it, because I'm not leaving MW, even if it pisses me off 🙂

Thanks for the advice (and commiseration).  I'll get over my irritation eventually...I'll just grumble a lot in the meantime.  Plus, I LIKE BBCode, dammit.  Well, Markup languages in general, really.  They're just so handy for so many functions, and once you know them, you can make so many nice things, though, I agree, tables in BBCode were a nightmare.  This editor is decent at them, but I'm an old school Excel user, so my bar for 'good tables' is pretty high.

But (and this is my inner curmudgeon coming out), the reality is that as technology (especially Social Media) has advanced, we've become dumber and lazier as a society, and it's reflected in how we interact with the digital world.  That's why the prevalence of WYSIWYG editors, et al is so universal.  And old farts like us either have to adapt, or get ulcers, I suppose.  🙂

FWIW, I'm learning, and am starting to get a little better at putting decent posts together.  It's a slow learning curve (and I will honestly never like WYSIWYG), but it's getting there.  And again, even if I grumble, please dont ever think I dont appreciate the help.  🙂

1 hour ago, Arklytte said:

But (and this is my inner curmudgeon coming out), the reality is that as technology (especially Social Media) has advanced, we've become dumber and lazier as a society, and it's reflected in how we interact with the digital world.

1000%, they are dumbing down everything and acting as if the reason is that people are incapable of learning. I haven't figured out how people are supposedly regressing but it does seem that way.

fwiw, I never write in MW directly, even on the old site.  I write strictly in notepad and then when I am done, I will copy it over and format.  I know you can write it MSWord and it will copy it over with formatting intact, so that is a plus.  Haven't tried copy a table, so lets see. This is a straight table paste from Word.

Ok all formatted and ready to go….

Header 1

Header 2

Header 3

Header 4

And lets through in some color…..

And change the font….

EDIT: The font change didn't work and background colors won't come over because we have the editor stripping them now to help with copy paste  issues across themes. But the table and bold, etc comes over from MSWord without issue.

And here is a straight copy/paste from OGMW now of one of your spoiler sections over there. Everything came across except your OOC tag.  We are getting there.  The black text is still coming over as black, (color#000;) so it doesn't work on dark themes as of yet without changing the color to default.  We are working on making it strip out black for the default theme color, but not there as of yet.

CONSTANT EFFECTS/STATBLOCK

• Current Burrow Speed (Not Currently Active😞115 (100 Base (Purified Elemental Movement); +15' Swift Movement); Earth Glide: Can 'swim' through dirt, stone, or most any other kind of earth (except metal), and not leave a tunnel behind (unless he wishes to)
  • Current Climb Speed: 30 ((45 Base; +15' Swift Movement)/2); Can move @Full Speed with -5 penalty
  • Current Fly Speed: 145 (100 Base (Purified Elemental Movement); +15' Swift Movement+30' (Improved Temporal Haste))
  • Current Leap Distance (Long): 35 (20 Base; +15' Swift Movement); +d20 Acrobatics CheckThis can be raised higher by use of Enhance Focus (+7) and The Hermit (+5)
  • Current Leap Distance (High): 25 (10 Base; +15' Swift Movement); +d20 Acrobatics CheckThis can be raised higher by use of Enhance Focus (+7) and The Hermit (+5)
  • Current Run Speed: 45 (30 Base; +15' Swift Movement)
  • Current Swim Speed: 23.5 (30 Base; +15' Swift Movement)/2
  • Current Initiative Bonus: +16 (Base 3 (DEX); +7 (WIS - Battlefield Intuition); +3 (Foreshadow); +3 (Nature's Blessing - Currently in Urban Setting))
  • Caster Level: (Ring Focus and Choker Implements😞Mana: 12 (Incanter Specialization); All Others: 11
  • Current Hit Points: 72/72
  • Current Temp Hit Points: XX
  • Current Ki/Spell Points: 27/46
  • Primary Martial Focus: Yes
  • Secondary Martial Focus: Yes
  • Current AC: 37 (Base 10; +3 DEX; Sage AC Bonus +9 (WIS +1/4CL); +2 Inhuman Resilience (Enhancement to Natural); +3 Shield Bonus (Balanced Defense); +4 Enhanced Equipment (Skin); +2 Foreshadow+4 Natural Armour (Elemental Transformation))
  • Current Touch AC: 31 (Base 10; +3 DEX; Sage AC Bonus +9 (WIS +1/4CL); +3 Shield Bonus (Balanced Defense); +4 Enhanced Equipment (Skin); +2 Foreshadow)
  • Current Flat Footed AC: Cannot be caught flat footed
  • Current BAB: 17 (6 BAB; +7 WIS; +4 Enhance Equipment)
  • Current CMB: 30 (6 BAB; +7 WIS; +4 Enhance Equipment; +4 Strength Motif; +3 Hardened Combatant (While Enhanced)); (+5 on bull rush, drag, overrun, and reposition) (+2 trip, disarm, dirty trick, feint, or steal)
  • Current CMD: 41 (Base 10; +6 BAB ; +3 DEX; +9 Sage CMD Bonus (WIS+1/4CL); +2 Foreshadow; +4 Enhanced Equipment (Skin); +4 Strength Motif; +3 Hardened Combatant (While Enhanced))
  • Current Reach:
  • Damage Reduction: -
  • Saves:
    • FORT: +13 (Base: 6; +4 CON; +2 Inhuman Resilience; +1 Heart of the Fey)
    • REF: +15 (Base: 6; +3 DEX; +2 Inhuman Resilience; +1 Heart of the Fey; +3 Foreshadow)
    • WILL: +16 (Base: 6; +7 WIS; +2 Inhuman Resilience; +1 Heart of the Fey)
  • Resistances: ER 11 (Cold, Electricity, Sonic)
  • Spell Resistance: 19 (11+Level) (Spell Resistance Oath Boon)

Those are both pretty cool.  I actually like the idea of the editor stripping out the colors, because, with the different themes here, many of the colors can be wonky on the various themes.  I'm definitely happy that MSWord tables will copy over. I got pretty good at creating interesting table layouts in Word, so I might look into doing that again and then importing them here.  I could probably just keep a DocX file on my desktop full of templates and copy/paste stuff into the editor.  *strokes chin contemplatively*

That said, it's good to know that all the hard work I've put into my various posting templates isn't totally lost.  🙂

Still miss proper Spoilers though.  😄