Character Creation Questions

Mindcrime

On 9/23/2022 at 3:09 PM, Mindcrime said:

I'm hoping to get all of the characters reviewed that are currently ready for review this weekend.  I'd also like to remind those that are still working on their characters that you now have 1 week to get them ready for review.  Also, if you have changed your mind and are no longer interested in the game, then please leave a comment in your character thread so that I can remove the submission.  Thank you!

Still very much interested.  

I have spent the last week just lost in the weeds over formatting a decent character block.  Idea came to me on my way into work today.  Just take a screen shot of the mythweaver character sheet and stuff it in as an Image.  I really have just gotten too far down the rabbit hole on trying to make what I want as a perfect sheet.  The 'old' site is much more to my liking, I don't know enough html coding to do Baldr.  I will learn eventually, but it's time to stop dithering around with it and get posted when I get home.

As I was making mine I realized you don't *have* to know HTML (or CSS) to use BLDR. Sure it helps, but all the things you really need are right up on the top toolbar. Fieldset, spoiler, HR, OOC, color, font... All the usual suspects. You can even grab someone else's template, don't even bother with the source page, and just type in your own info. Now if you want it to be adaptable to fit various screen sizes you may have to be a bit more clever, or if you want something really fancy.

The basis I used was from here: https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/547-fauxs-responsive-templates/#comment-1699

A former DM of mine who was quite good with the coding (and has now gone dark) made these. I edited a bit to suit what I wanted for post template, and I believe I even managed to maintain their responsive design.

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Kistler said:

all the things you really need are right up on the top toolbar.

Yah, I know how to look at the buttons.  I just don't like how awkward it all is and don't know enough about html coding to use the source function to make it easier.

It seems to me that one of the primary reasons for the existence Baldr is specifically that you don't need to know HTML to get by.  My take is that it's more user-friendly for beginners and less computer saavy folk than OGMW.  It does need some tweaking and refinement, yes, but I feel pretty satisfied with the few applications I've made, using only the provided buttons. 

One suggestion I'd make for the dice bot is to create a series of scrollable options in order to create the desired combination and function, as opposed to memorization of commands (...simplified though they are...)  It feels like going backwards.         

56 minutes ago, Eborne1 said:

One suggestion I'd make for the dice bot is to create a series of scrollable options in order to create the desired combination and function, as opposed to memorization of commands (...simplified though they are...)  It feels like going backwards.         

Not a bad suggestion. You should post it in the site feedback thread, here.

4 hours ago, Inash said:

It doesn't actually make it easier to know a bit of html. Unless you are trying to get fancy, or change the size of a table.... On second thought, it is a little bit easier to tweak things.

It's really a matter of taste.  I spent a lot of time trying to get things to look 'right' in the way I wanted them.  Some of y'alls examples are great but most are just too busy for me.  The Mythweavers sheet really is about all I need.  Dinner now.  Transfer everything to a sheet and clean it up after wards.  Maybe watch that thing about the Superpets.  It looks funny.  So, midnight Pacific time or so.   

Because I *always* make deadlines I set for myself.

Among other things I spent too much time on.  Spending money... Traveler's Any Tool

It really doesn't suit Moira, but some day I am going to make up a character around the idea of a halfling or gnome that found one of these and just likes to use it.  

Can I fix your wagon?  Shoe your horse?  Cook your dinner?  Knit you a sweater?  Card some wool, then spin it into thread, then make you a carpet?  

Obviously you take the feat that lets you use Improvised Weapons without penalty and then smack things with a frying pan in combat.

Do musical instruments count as tool?  They let you do your job.  A harpsicord had too many moving parts, but guitars and drums are pretty simple.

I spent way too much time looking at this and trying to figure if it would work for Moira.  

Another reminder that the deadline to have your character 'ready for review' by end of day tomorrow (CST).  This weekend I'll review those characters and once all submissions are declared 'complete', I'll do the toughest part of this and make my selections.

6 hours ago, Mindcrime said:

Another reminder that the deadline to have your character 'ready for review' by end of day tomorrow (CST).  This weekend I'll review those characters and once all submissions are declared 'complete', I'll do the toughest part of this and make my selections.

I don’t envy your selection process!

Awaits with bated breath.