Harder Nug, Human Mercenary Fighter

The Eyeball Kid

Harder Nug

Harder.jpg.a5c8be02bb48d432ce778d238ab97224.jpg

FIGHTER (Mercenary) 5

Medium humanoid male (Variant Human), true neutral

Armor Class 19 (Cast Off Splintmail + Shield)
Hit Points 49 (5d10 + 15)
Speed 30' ft.

Senses Passive Perception 14 | Passive Insight 11

Languages Common, Draylish

Proficiency Bonus +3

ABILITIES & SKILLS 

Proficiency Bonus: +3

Strength 17 (+3)
Save +6 
Athletics +9 (E)

Dexterity 10 (+0) 
Save +0 
Acrobatics +0 | Sleight of Hand +0 | Stealth +0

Constitution 16 (+3)
Save +6 
No skills associated.

Intelligence 8 (-1)
Save -1 
Arcana -1 | History -1 | Investigation -1| Nature -1 | Religion -1

Wisdom 12 (+1)
Save +1 
Animal Handling +1 | Insight +1 | Medicine +1 | Perception +4 | Survival +4

Charisma 13 (+1) 
Save +1 
Deception +4 | Intimidation +4 | Performance +1 | Persuasion +4

(E) denotes expertise. / Bold denotes proficiency.

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES

• Tools Playing Cards, Vehicles (Land)
  • Instruments None
  • Weapons  Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons
  • Armors All Armor, Shields

FIGHTER CLASS ABILITIES
Fighting Style: DuelingWhen you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon. | Second WindYou have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
| Action Surge (x1)Starting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.
| Iron WillStarting at 3rd level, you become focused and confident. You gain advantage on saving throws against being charmed and frightened | Extra Attack (x1)Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

The number of attacks increases to three when you reach 11th level in this class and to four when you reach 20th level in this class.

RACIAL TRAITS
Skill Proficiency: Deception

FEATS
Skill ExpertiseYou have honed your proficiency with particular skills, granting you the following benefits:

* Increase one ability score of your choice (Strength) by 1, to a maximum of 20.

*You gain proficiency in one skill (Survival) of your choice.

* Choose one skill in which you have proficiency (Athletics). You gain expertise with that skill, which means your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make with it. The skill you choose must be one that isn't already benefiting from a feature, such as Expertise, that doubles your proficiency bonus.
| Heavy Armor MasterYou can use your armor to deflect strikes that would kill others. You gain the following benefits:

* Increase your Strength score by 1, to a maximum of 20.

* While you are wearing heavy armor, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage that you take from nonmagical attacks is reduced by 3.

WEAPONS

+1 Longsword +7 to hit for (1d8+6) slashing, magic damage | Versatile (1d10)

Flail + 6 to hit for (1d8+6) bludgeoning damage

Heavy Crossbow +3 to hit for (1d10) piercing damage | Ammo, Heavy, Loading, Two-handed, Range (100/400)

Javelin +6 to hit for (1d6+3/5) piercing damage | Thrown (30/120)

Handaxe +6 to hit for (1d4+3/5) slashing damage | Light, Thrown (20/60)

EQUIPMENT & ENCUMBERANCE

TOTAL ENCUMBERANCE (165.48 lbs.)

• Weight: 164.48 lbs. / 255 lbs. max. (15 x STR Score)
  • Penalty: None

MONEY POUCH (1.48 lbs.)

Copper: 2 | Silver: 7 | Gold: 65 | Obsidian: 0 | Platinum: 0

(74 Coins x .02 lbs. = 1.48 lbs. Total Weight)

EQUIPEMENT READIED (105 lbs.)

Equipped items can be retrieved with a manipulate item interaction.

• Armor (66 lbs.) Cast Off Splintmail - 60 lbs. | Shield - 6 lbs.
  • Weapons (34.5 lbs.)   +1 Longsword* - 1 lb. | Heavy Crossbow w. 20 Bolts - 19.5 lbs. | 5 Javelins - 10 lbs. | 2 Handaxes - 4 lbs.
  • Readied Items (7.5 lbs.) Pouch - 1 lb. (Tinderbox - 1 lb. | Chalk (5 pieces) - n/a | Whetstone - 1 lb.) | Pouch - 1 lb. (Healing Potion (3) - 1.5 lbs.) | Pouch - 1 lb. | Coin Pouch - 1 lb.

EQUIPMENT STORED (59 lbs.)

Stored items can be retrieved with an action.

• In Backpack (37 lbs.) Backpack - 5 lbs. | Mess Kit - 1 lb. | Torches (10) - 10 lbs. | Rations (5 days) - 10 lbs. | Playing Cards - n/a | Pouch - 1 lb. (Bloodstone (50gp) | 6 Agates (10gp)) | Common Clothes (2) - 6 | Bar of Soap - n/a
  • Strapped to Backpack (28 lbs.) Bedroll - 2 lbs. | 50' Silk Rope w. Grapple - 9 lbs. | Waterskin (2) - 10 lbs. | Crowbar - 5 lbs. | Flail - 2 lbs.

EQUIPMENT NOT CARRIED (--)

• At Home 

* Denotes magic item (see below)

MAGIC ITEMS

NON-ATTUNED

• +1 Longsword
  • Cast Off Splintmail Armor

ATTUNED (0/3)

APPEARANCE

Age 28 | Height 6' 2" | Weight 220 lbs. | Hair Black | Eyes Grey | Complexion Fair/Tanned/Weathered

Harder is a tall, strongly built man. He has longish black hair and typically has a couple days growth of beard. He is reasonably handsome in a scruffy sort of way. He has a dour sort of look to him, and rarely smiles even when he's joking -- when he does smile it's mostly just a quirk to his lips and usually done ironically and with an implied threat. He has fair skin but tanned and weathered from exposure to the sun and elements. His nose has clearly been broken a couple of times and he has a long scar from his temple down to his jaw on the left side.

He wears splintmail armor as well as the kilt of his native city-state of Gynleah and carries a battered shield that has been repainted numerous times as he has moved from mercenary company to company. Seemingly determined to never lose a fight for lack of a weapon, he fairly bristles with arms, the most prominent being a longsword at his side, a pair of handaxes and a heavy crossbow across his back.

BACKGROUND

Mercenary Veteran
Source SCAG

• Personality Traits: 
    • I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. A rich bastard is still a bastard, probably more so.
    • I can stare down a hell hound without flinching.
    • I have a crude, insulting sense of humor. With friends and casual acquaintances it's just my way of being friendly. With friends I can take (and even enjoy) a joke or insult back at my expense. Enemies and folks I don't know ought to be more careful, though I might also respect someone who replies in kind a bit more depending on my mood and how they went about it.
  • Ideals: something
    • Live and Let Live. Ideals aren't worth killing or going to war over. (Neutral)
    • Golden Soul: I fight for money and nothing else (Neutral)
    • Greed is Good
  • Bonds: 
    • Those who fight beside me are my brothers. Not that I'd go too far out of my way for my brothers without some monetary incentive.
  • Flaws: 
    • Don't tell anyone, but sometimes I will do something without considering the price if it's interesting or, gods help me, the decent thing to do.
    • I'm no toady. I tend to treat my employers as equals. Some seem to find this refreshing, a lot not so much.

Background Feature: Mercenary Life

You know the mercenary life as only someone who has experienced it can. You are able to identify mercenary companies by their emblems, and you know a little about any such company, including the names and reputations of its commanders and leaders, and who has hired them recently. You can find the taverns and festhalls where mercenaries abide in any area, as long as you speak the language. You can find mercenary work between adventures sufficient to maintain a comfortable lifestyle.

BACKSTORY

Born in the Drayl City-State of Gynleah, Harder grew up a farmer's son although he never had any great love for the work. After watching his father (and all too soon working alongside him) toil just to scrape by, he wanted no part of it. Maybe if they'd been able to break into the lucrative night rose market it would have been different but those families already involved made sure to keep a tight grip on their monopoly and squeeze out any rising competition. This bred in young Harder a simultaneous contempt for and jealousy of the wealthy. Naturally strong and with a body strengthened and toughened by hard work, Harder excelled at his mandatory militia training, but risking his life for a soldier's pay likewise left him cold but he heard tell of mercenary work and decided that just might be for him. He struck out for Brinecoast where he'd heard a number of companies were engaged in combatting pirates deviling the city-state's shipping lines and joined on called the Grim Promise. As things continued to go badly on the farm he sent money back to help support them, but had a falling out with his father when he returned home and was himself blamed for the failing of the farm for abandoning it; after a short time angry, he still sends money, but to his mother now.

After the fight with his father, he decided to move further afield, drifting into Aglarion and joining up with the Brotherhood of Blood, guarding the Trade Road in the Arden Forest from bandits. He had a falling out with the company's leader Bar Sekin when he discovered that Sekin was actually running a protection racket, by coordinating with some of the bandit gangs, which was a bit cynical even for Harder.

Recently, he tried to join the Black Flag Mercenary Company but didn't pass Trazz's testing because the half-orc thought he was being flip and too familiar when he indicated he'd ask how much when Trazz asked if he'd kill a man on his order without question. With a bit of coin saved up from past jobs and is currently looking for like-minded individuals to form a mercenary (or perhaps adventuring, he's heard good things and might consider branching out -- it's not that big a stretch...) company of his own.

Edited by The Eyeball Kid (see edit history)

PC

Harder Nug Human Fighter 5Harder_tok.png.e612aaca94a1ac877f2e6d5821973c76.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 19 (scale mail and shield) | HP: 49/49 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 14 
Second Wind 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

Post goes here.

"Speech"

thoughts in italics

Mechanics

Main Hand: +1 Longsword
Off Hand: Shield

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Edited by The Eyeball Kid (see edit history)