Character Creation Questions

Llyarden

16 hours ago, DnD_Jedi said:

Hmmm, frustratingly, I can't seem to figure out how to split this quote like you did before. This new post editor is rather fiddly.

I split replies by quoting a post twice, then editing them so they only include the relevant text.

16 hours ago, DnD_Jedi said:

Anyway, how about we multiply the power of Renown by 25? That way, Incredibly Renown covers 625,000 people, which is a significant amount but not even half the population of Altea, which seems reasonable enough to me. Probably not for the people who know the Vigilante Identity though, the 1 mile per level radius gives me a total area of 707 square miles, which is actually bigger than Greater London. Just, the people for the Social Identity needs to be made bigger.

Not sure how good of a suggestion this is, but maybe you can treat Renown as covering various social spheres instead of only just discrete regions? Not 'the entire city of Atlea' or a specific district, but 'the aristocracy', or 'members of the Watch'. Probably more than one sphere of influence, honestly, with the numbers it uses, and maybe especially broad groups can count as 2 instead of discounting them entirely. But uh, yeah, pointing this out cause it might be a more straightforward way to make it work, having renown apply to people that deal with 'the aristocracy' a lot or whatever, instead of requiring people physically from certain places by default. Cuts down on the scope a bit, while also not making it tied to a single district of dubious value.

Edited by Niblooey (see edit history)

Dunno if I’m following all this but for my two coppers “large city” is itself a rule term that is smaller than “metropolis” which has no top limit and which do exist in Golarion. Absalom for one. So not accounting for peak Rome or Constantinople is absolutely RAI not an oversight.

Whether this is because they want you to play Zorro not Batman or it’s just that guy screaming “it’s not REALISTIC Steve” I don’t know. Leaning towards the latter though given how “we have superheroes at home” many of the archetypes are instead of just making Vigilantes a supplement to characters like Mythic.

4 minutes ago, Mild Scribe said:

Dunno if I’m following all this but for my two coppers “large city” is itself a rule term that is smaller than “metropolis” which has no top limit and which do exist in Golarion. Absalom for one. So not accounting for peak Rome or Constantinople is absolutely RAI not an oversight.

Whether this is because they want you to play Zorro not Batman or it’s just that guy screaming “it’s not REALISTIC Steve” I don’t know. Leaning towards the latter though given how “we have superheroes at home” many of the archetypes are instead of just making Vigilantes a supplement to characters like Mythic.

I was going to inquire about Mythic but gestalt is pretty strong on it's own.

42 minutes ago, Mild Scribe said:

Whether this is because they want you to play Zorro not Batman or it’s just that guy screaming “it’s not REALISTIC Steve” I don’t know.

Yeah it's probably just noncasters not getting nice things; by L11 you're probably pretty famous anyway, so the idea that you have to sink like four talents just to get name recognition in a big town (the absolute limit of how famous you're allowed to be, apparently) seems a bit silly.

21 minutes ago, TheFred said:

Yeah it's probably just noncasters not getting nice things; by L11 you're probably pretty famous anyway, so the idea that you have to sink like four talents just to get name recognition in a big town (the absolute limit of how famous you're allowed to be, apparently) seems a bit silly.

Play a local news writer and report about your own exploits with the vigilante alter ego.

38 minutes ago, TheFred said:

Three Talents, actually. Renown, Great Renown and Incredible Renown.

But if the DM wishes to change things and buff Renown not just by a hard amount, but making it so I might only need 2 or even 1 talent? I would very much not complain and gleefully take the extra room to flesh out my character further.

Or maybe we should just get the Renown Vigilante Talents automatically? Considering we are all level 15 gestalt heroes who base ourselves in the city, it would make a considerable amount of sense.

Edited by DnD_Jedi (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Niblooey said:

Not sure how good of a suggestion this is, but maybe you can treat Renown as covering various social spheres instead of only just discrete regions? Not 'the entire city of Atlea' or a specific district, but 'the aristocracy', or 'members of the Watch'. Probably more than one sphere of influence, honestly, with the numbers it uses, and maybe especially broad groups can count as 2 instead of discounting them entirely.

Yeah, I'm also fine with this.

I'm willing to expand Renown so that Incredible Renown (and any other effect that covers 25000 people) would cover about 10% of the city, be it a district or a certain relatively uncommon demographic. Let's not get bogged down too much in the exact number.

5000 people - ie Great Renown - will correspondingly cover about 2% of the city.

200 people - ie Renown - will cover just a small neighbourhood or extremely niche demographic.

On the reverse side, if you are famous amongst 100,000 people, then you can be famous across the whole city.

7 hours ago, MysteryNo1 said:

Can we use racebuilder to add traits to existing races?

No.

47 minutes ago, Llyarden said:

I'm willing to expand Renown so that Incredible Renown (and any other effect that covers 25000 people) would cover about 10% of the city, be it a district or a certain relatively uncommon demographic. Let's not get bogged down too much in the exact number.

On the reverse side, if you are famous amongst 100,000 people, then you can be famous across the whole city.

The problem with this is that Renown maxes out at Incredible Renown, amd 10% of the city, while a decent amount of people, is still far, far smaller of a portion that what Incredible Renown is likely expected to cover. Especially if you need 100,000 people to be famous across the whole city.

And again, we are Level 15 Adventurers who are based in the city, some of us might even be heavily focused on the city, and Incredible Renown is meant to cover a whole city... so, 10% feels very small in comparison to how many people Incredible Renown is meant to cover, and the jump from 10% to 100% is excessive.

How about instead of .01%, 2% and 10%, we work with 1%, 20% and 50%? Or maybe 1%, 10% and 25% if the first was too much?

Another question on the setup: I notice that the game is called "Heroes" of Altea, but the hook is that the characters are hired as mercenaries. Do character actually have to be heroic, then, or just willing to join the fun? Naturally, even "evil" characters don't need to be serial killers or committers of random acts of wickedness; I'd expect characters just for most if not all games in general to need to be able to work with a group and have a plausible reason for being there in the first place - but do you have any restrictions or preferences?

@Llyarden before I go even deeper down this rabbit hole, how do you feel about the Mystic class and the Gunsmoke archetype specifically?

I ask because the Mystic has a Maneuvers Readied / Granted similar to the 3.5 Crusader where you pick your (10) Readied maneuvers, then 2 of those you always get, and the rest you get (5) additional randomly out of the (8) remaining, and every turn you draw 1 more, which could be a bit of a slow up in PBP.

*(#) means the amount at level 15