Beta 503-B IC

ArcaneStomper

Tamzin Belle WolfeTamzinBelleWolfe-LR.png.a278aba184b20f00805c2651eb8ba2ca.png

ST: 12 | DX: 13 | IQ: 15 | HT: 13 | HP: 12/12 | Per: 15 | Will: 15 | FP: 15

Basic Speed: 6.5 (7.5) | Move: 6(7) | Thr: 1d-1 (1d) | Sw: 1d+2 (2d) | Dodge: 9(11) | Parry: 10 | Block: 8

Tamzin pauses her work with the interesting alt-greek battlesuit while Corporal Jordan steps in to negotiate with the intelligent machine. As she carefully replaces her tools into their proper storage place in each kit, a ping within her mind causes her to start.

"Forgive me..." The unfamiliar, but recognizable voice of Gerald begins. A second unexpected phenomenon within her first few minutes on this mission. She'd certainly heard rumors of entities capable of telepathic communication working with Ark teams, but she'd yet to encounter any. Once again her initial surprise it quickly replaced by interest and more than a little curiosity.

"Oh. Gerald? I didn't expect..." Is her initial jumbled thought response followed by a mental chuckle accompanied by a flush that turns her cheeks pink. "Yes. A good idea to get us used to this form of communication before some alien beast or bot is running amok in camp." She adds with a mental laugh. "A pleasure to meet you."

"I did notice that your vocal implant seems to be malfunctioning. If you wish, I'd be happy to take a look and see if I could repair the unit. You've a handsome inner voice, perhaps we could make your audible one match."

spacer.pngEukleides of Athens

ST 14 | DX 13 | IQ 13 | HT 14 | Will 15 | Perception 13
FP 14/14 | HP 14/14 | DR 80 (Force Aspis DR 100) | Base Speed 6.75 | Base Move 6

Eukleides’ widened at the unfamiliar voice, his grey eyes snapping up to start scanning the horizon. Athena had commanded her Epilektoi in a similar way: her clarion voice appearing in their heads through the din of battle. Only once he was able to connect the clear voice in his head with the harsh one from the man in front of him did he nod and look down to the bioroid. "Ah, now this is a familiar magic. I understand."

"And I have not yet taken so many blows to the head to not understand as well the words you don't speak." Eukleides said with a grin to Peirce, turning away as, while they didn't speak any words, Gerald and Tamzin's attention focused on each other for the moment. "As the Mayjor, you fear that I may take leave of my senses and begin to fold you into knots once the battlefield is clear of foes more deserving of it. And thus to 'protect the unit', you must be prepared to work your magic against me as well. Well, no matter. Epicurus can surely assist now that you've poured honey into his ear."

There was a quick cascade of characters across Tamzin's screen, the Greek alphabet from alpha to omega. It repeated a few times as the human members of the conversation spoke, but once Eukleides offered his implicit permission Epicurus' response scrolled out across the screen. "<A simple enough request. As mighty Eukleides once more seems content to let his muscles do the thinking, I will share with you some of the workings of Haphaestus, crafty and cunning, and how he forged this Hoplon. Now, there are secrets I will not share: Some, because I am foolishly attached to my continued existence and don't wish to make it too easy for you to kill me if you decide to. Others, because there are secrets to the construction of this Hoplon that Hephaestus, crafty and cunning, did not deem to share with even a spirit such as me. For the immediate question, I should be able constrain mighty Eukleides should battle overcome his good reason. Perhaps not completely, for Athena, she who fights in front, did not see the merit in restraining her Epilektoi once they were upon the field and I have yet to have call to attempt it. But where once I shadow mighty Eukleides' limbs, I could instead pull against.>"

Edited by Savayan (see edit history)

x7vaiiN.jpgCpl. Jordan Pierce

ST 12 | DX 14 | IQ 15 | HT 13 | Will 15 | Perception 17
FP 13/13 | HP 12/12 | DR xx | Base Speed 7 | Base Move 7

Jordan flashed Eukleides a grin. "Being crumpled up by my teammate isn't really on my plans for the mission, no. I'm sure that ARK command wouldn't have assigned you to the unit if this was something that might jeopardize the safety of the team, but I appreciate your willingness to assuage our concerns and cooperate. I sincerely hope that these precautions won't be necessary."

Glancing over to Tamzin's datapad, Jordan nodded at the words. "I promise that we have no intention or desire to damage either you or Eukleides," she said, still feeling awkward speaking to a computer program, regardless of how sophisticated it sounded. Nonetheless, the task needed doing, and if that meant convincing herself that Epicurus was more than a sequence of bits and bytes, so be it.

"It sounds like you do have a protocol in place to restrain or hinder Eukleides should there be a problem. Is that something that you would be willing to give us remote access to? The idea being, we want to be sure we can initiate the lockdown on the off-chance that you aren't able to do so. That would probably be the quickest solution, as I think Tamzin and I will need to study the technical specs you're sharing to understand enough to add any of our own modifications. This armor is definitely more sophisticated than anything I've worked with - it's powerful and pragmatic, but also artful in its construction. Really amazing..."

Jordan shook her head, catching herself getting distracted by the shiny new tech when she should be focusing on the task so that they could get back to work. "Sorry - anyway, if you would permit us administrative access to the same lockdown protocol that you would use, that would be a good immediate solution." She looked at Tamzin. "What do you think? Any other thoughts about how we might secure the battlesuit in case of a problem - preferably without violating either Eukleides or Epicurus' guidelines?"

Edited by Lonewalker (see edit history)

Basic Speed: 6.5 (7.5) | Move: 6(7) | Thr: 1d-1 (1d) | Sw: 1d+2 (2d) | Dodge: 9(11) | Parry: 10 | Block: 8

When the characters begin scrolling once again across her screen Tamzin excuses herself from Gerald and attempt to refocus on the curious question of Epicurus. Fascinating. Is the word that keeps cropping into her thoughts. Athena, Haphaestus. The entire system seems to be based upon the ancient mythology. The concept is quite unbelievable to Tamzin's more scientific oriented mind, her training having no basis in such a blend of religion, myth, and technology. Even the actual construction of the battlesuit was more art and religious expression than simple mass produced manufacturing. It would likely take her days, weeks, to even generate a clear understanding of all of the systems and their interactions well enough to perform basic repairs better yet actual enhance or modify the suit in any real, safe way.

Having come to that conclusion, she shakes her head when the Corporal asks if she has any other suggestions. "No sir. Given the advanced programming and systems, I think we are better off trusting Epicurus and his own safety protocols rather than trying to jury rig something that could cause more harm than good. I think we also have to assume Colonel Martin would not have assigned them to the mission if they were deemed a danger to the team or our success."

IMG_4424.jpeg.250b689555d46009267db2e1d771aaf2.jpeg.af494c9f226b0c58c6d228ccd8c161cf.jpegEmmanuel “Manny” Puno

ST 12 | DX 13 | IQ 16 | HT 13 | Will 16 | Perception 17
FP 13/13 | HP 12/12 | DR xx | Base Speed 6.5 | Base Move 6

Manny nods to Andreas' questions and proposed course of action.

“Ronnie is actually the one who told us about the markets in the first place,” he explains. "But that was just something he'd heard; I don't think he's ever actually been to one. And a key detail was that the markets move around. So our job is to figure out where they're going to be next," he clarifies. "If you want to do a second interview with Ronnie and see if he knows anything else about them, be my guest. I think posing as a merchant is reasonable insofar as it goes, but my impression of this world is that these 'markets' are more of a scavengers' swap meet where people bring things they've found to swap for things they want or need. I don't know if the 'merchant' profession even exists as such. We'll have to learn quickly what the norms and expectations are once we actually find one."

Andreas Theriot

ST 10 | DX 14 | IQ 16 | HT 11 | Will 16 | Perception 16
FP 11/11 | HP 10/10 | DR xx | Base Speed 6.25 | Base Move 6

Andreas nods, and then (if possible) will walk over towards Ronnie and attempt to speak with him.

image.png.02fa9c7af2654bb4ee9db89e8a312333.pngGerald- Psionic Operative

ST 10 | DX 12 | IQ 14 | HT 10 | Will 18 | Perception 14
FP 8/10 | HP 10/10 | DR variable | Base Speed 5.5 | Base Move 5

With the completion of the telepathic communication, Gerald nodded in affirmation.

An expression of minor discomfort grew across Gerald's face as he heard the words about Euklides' suit of armor. Perhaps the psiroid knew of what it was like to be the cernterpoint of concern on a team; was it maybe supposed to be an expression of sympathy?

Andreas Theriot

ST 10 | DX 14 | IQ 16 | HT 11 | Will 16 | Perception 16
FP 11/11 | HP 10/10 | DR xx | Base Speed 6.25 | Base Move 6

He looks over at the Major.

"What are your orders, sir?"

spacer.pngEukleides of Athens

ST 14 | DX 13 | IQ 13 | HT 14 | Will 15 | Perception 13
FP 14/14 | HP 14/14 | DR 80 (Force Aspis DR 100) | Base Speed 6.75 | Base Move 6

"<There is little to practically differentiate me from this hoplon, at least this far from the forges of Hephaestus, crafty and cunning. Suffice to say, entrusting the task to me will result in it's resolution in one way or another.>" Epicurus replied on Tamzin's datapad. Eukleides chuckled: a deep, resonant sound. "What Epicurus means is that any damage to my hoplon, and myself by extension, sufficient to render him incapable of restraining me would more than likely have already killed us both. Is this an acceptable accord for now? Between Epicurus and myself, we should be able to show you in more detail Hephaestus's craft and find a more permanent method of melding our magics."

Edited by Savayan (see edit history)

spacer.pngJohn "Jack" Reygar

ST 13 | DX 14 | IQ 15 | HT 13 | Will 15 | Perception 17
FP 13/13 | HP 13/13 | DR xx | Base Speed 6 | Base Move 6

Jack returns pushing a cart with meal packets.

"Okay, I said we're heading out for two to three days. Since things can go wrong," and he starts handing out packets, "we're gonna be smart and prepared. Here are meals for a week. Load 'em up and I think we're ready to go."

"I'll take point. Engineers next, then talky folk. Then Eukleides, and Gerald takes Charlie."

He looks around the room. "Any questions?"

Jack has given everyone 10.5 lbs of meal packets. Please add them to your gear list and encumbrance.

Tamzin's thoguhts whirl in her mind as she attempts to catalogue the anomalous entities she has been partnered with for the mission. Voiceless, or nearly so, Gerald, with his ability to communicate through pure thought. And also apparently an android of a most advanced and intelligent nature.

I am glad to offer any help I can. She thought responds to Gerald when he mentions his prototype voice unit. But you're certainly correct that conducting experimental repairs during the mission would be reckless and probably not go down well with the commander.

Then her datapad begins scrolling again and her attention turns back to the hoplite and the advanced artificial intelligence embedded his armor. The quasi religious programming and technical structure well beyond anything she has seen before.

Gathering her food packets she asks Eukleides a question.

"Is there another way for us to communicate with Epicurus besides through my datapad? Can he vocalize independently in the event you are unconscious or incapable of speech?" She looks at the datapad, clearly ready to disconnect the unit since it appears they are getting ready to move out.

x7vaiiN.jpgCpl. Jordan Pierce

ST 12 | DX 14 | IQ 15 | HT 13 | Will 15 | Perception 17
FP 13/13 | HP 12/12 | DR xx | Base Speed 7 | Base Move 7

Jordan knelt to store the food packets into her backpack, with a couple tucked into her web harness just in case. Part of her thoughts were still running through the schematics and code she had scanned, considering modifications and access points. She had informed Jack of her plan to use root access to the Epicurus AI's control protocols as an initial safety feature, piggybacking on a function that already existed. That was the quick-and-dirty fast solution. The other was a remote trigger that disabled power to the cybersuit's weapons and integrated servos. But because of her unfamiliarity with the advanced technology, she knew she couldn't do it in a short amount of time, even with Eukleides and Wolfe's assistance. If she rushed things, she was just as likely to damage the suit's basic operations, necessitating a full maintenance effort - or worse, she could accidentally set off one of those unknown weapons or power sources. For now, Jordan would continue to work on the effort during rest points on the mission, as Eukleides helped her and Wolfe understand the science behind the tech more fully.

"Ready to roll when you are, sir. We headed for one of these 'markets' or toward a Warden-guarded port?"

Edited by Lonewalker (see edit history)
Name
Electronics Repair (Computers) adjusted skill 11
3d6 5,2,3
Armoury (Battlesuits) adjusted skill 12
3d6 5,2,3

IMG_4424.jpeg.250b689555d46009267db2e1d771aaf2.jpeg.af494c9f226b0c58c6d228ccd8c161cf.jpegEmmanuel “Manny” Puno

ST 12 | DX 13 | IQ 16 | HT 13 | Will 16 | Perception 17
FP 13/13 | HP 12/12 | DR xx | Base Speed 6.5 | Base Move 6

Manny takes the meal packs from Jack, flipping through to see what flavors are available and sorting them in his preferred order for the next several days. As he packs them into his backpack, he glances over at Jordan.

“Heading for the markets would be tricky since we still don't have a confirmed time and location for one,” he says. "But I theorize we might be able to find that out if we just keep our eyes open for the right signs. We haven't seen any non-us network traffic since we've been here, right? So if the scavengers aren't arranging markets that way, they must be using some other method to let each other know where and when the next swap meet is going to be. I theorize it's graffiti or something similar, maybe a dead drop system that people would know to check. Private Theriot and I will be watching for stuff like that while we go check out our next possible resource cache."

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.pngJohn "Jack" Reygar

ST 13 | DX 14 | IQ 15 | HT 13 | Will 15 | Perception 17
FP 13/13 | HP 13/13 | DR xx | Base Speed 6 | Base Move 6

Jack nods to Manny and Pierce.

"We haven't checked things out to the northwest yet. We'll head tthataway and see what we run into."

He grins at Manny. "So keep your eyes peeled for any 'Market this way' signs, team. Or even just interesting graffiti. If you see such, let Manny and Andy figure them out."

The scout team leaves the outpost and shortly afterward the massive rail yard. They exit through a large partly rusted gate that appears to have been used by cargo trucks once and begin to head north west. Around them the city looks dilapidated. There is debris in the streets and broken windows mar the faces of the buildings. It's a stark contrast with the nearly pristine city they found at their initial site.

Most importantly there are signs of humans here. Some of the buildings have signs that people were living in them, and the team finds graffiti spray painted onto the buildings. A lot of it seems irrelevant, at least to anyone but an anthropologist, but there are series of repeating symbols that look like they might have a deeper meaning.