Chapter 6: Pillars of Ruin, continued

Abberdaggus

Oathday, 10 Rova 4719, late afternoon

You leave the scene of carnage behind and continue your slow journey around the clearing towards the beast. You are mindful that apparently a demon with a voracious appetite has taken up residence very close to where you intend to make your incursion - from its nest, it would have a clear view over the entire clearing - and you count yourselves lucky that it is not at home at the moment.

You close in on the caged animal, sticking to the cover of the jungle as much as possible. Up close, you cannot help marvelling at the size of the beast. About as big as the elephants encountered some time ago, but much leaner and thougher - and with sharper teeth. Now that you are closer to the cage, you find that it may be much easier to free the beast than anticipated. The cage itself looks sturdy but there is no lock on it. In fact, the whole western side of the cage turns out to be a large door, attached to half a dozen vines, which are connected to counterweights on the opposite side. A wheel at the south-western corner of the cage would most likely open the cage easily if turned.

spacer.pngWilder creeps forward and begins to converse with the creature in ways that only he can master. It immediately turns in its direction attention towards the halfling and becomes restless within its confines. It is clear to Wilder that it is not contempt with its incarceration, but it is hard to tell where it would direct its wrath if freed. The beast seems to pay attention to Wilders soothing attempts, but he is not very confident that it has actually made much of a difference - except alerted the beast to Wilder's presence, of course. Also, Wilder does not think that the beast is intelligent enough to recognise Wilder as an ally, if he were to turn the wheel and free it.

As Wilder makes his efforts at beastly diplomacy, Samrod notices some activity in the cultists camp a bit further to the south - though apparently unrelated to the caged beast and Wilders efforts. The door to the smaller cabin at the eastern part of the clearing opens and a charau-ka cultist exits with a humanoid figure in tow. It takes a few seconds to recognise the cultists captive as the good Dr. Pendergrast. Far from the once boisterous explorer, the wretched thing is difficult to recognise. He is stripped down to a torn pair of breeches and rather than standing tall and proud, he now stumbles and crawls after the cultist. Several bruises and bloody cuts suggest that the man has been roughed up pretty good.

Close behind the cultist and his prisoner, a small blue-scaled kobold follows, clutching a stall adorned with a flaming skull. The kobold stops and speaks to the cultist - you are too far away to hear the words - and gestures towards the mining pit. Then the kobold returns back inside the cabin, while the cultist begins to goad the stumbling Pendergrast towards the mine.

spacer.png

Edited by Abberdaggus (see edit history)

[table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=250]https://i.redd.it/4eqgvz7zuy351.jpg[/img2] [r=2,1][fieldset=Stat Block][center][url="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2394611"][B][U][SIZE="5"]Wilder[/SIZE][/U][/B][/url] [B]Level 7 Fey Bloodline Sorcerer[/B] [B]HP:[/B] 43/43[B], AC:[/B] 25 [B]Cantrip Level:[/B] 4, [B]Class DC:[/B] 25 [B]Spell Slots:[/B], L1 4/4, L2 4/4, L3 3/4, L4 3/3(+1/1) remaining [B]Conditions:[/B] Battle medicine (1/1 remaining). Camel: Str +4, Dex +3, Con +3, Int -4, Wis +2, Cha +0 HP = 71/71, speed=35ft, spit=special move Prof bonus = 7+training, Saves = expert, Expert in Perception & Survival, Trained in Intimidation & Stealth Size = large, Move=35, low-light vision and scent [/center][/fieldset][/table]
4eqgvz7zuy351.jpg
Stat Block
Wilder
Level 7 Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
HP: 43/43 , AC: 25
Cantrip Level: 4, Class DC: 25
Spell Slots: , L1 4/4, L2 4/4, L3 3/4, L4 3/3(+1/1) remaining
Conditions: Battle medicine (1/1 remaining).
Camel: Str +4, Dex +3, Con +3, Int -4, Wis +2, Cha +0
HP = 71/71, speed=35ft, spit=special move
Prof bonus = 7+training, Saves = expert, Expert in Perception & Survival, Trained in Intimidation & Stealth
Size = large, Move=35, low-light vision and scent

"Uh, hey, should I use magic to make myself look like the kobolds. I could says something. Try to get them to maybe leave the area, maybe cook up Pendergrast and then go for a tasty picnic. Or maybe not that... But what 'cha all think I should say?" Wilder asks.

Edited by ifreedman (see edit history)

[table=2,1] [r=1,1][IMG2=150]https://i.imgur.com/Nev55GI.jpg[/IMG2] [r=2,1][fieldset=Samrod Ik-Sanjar][B][URL="https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2399389"]Samrod Ik-Sanjar[/URL][/B]  [b]HP:[/b] 92/92 -[b] AC: [/b]25 [b]Conditions:[/b]  [b]Steel Shield:[/b] Hardness: 5   Hp: 20/20 (10)  Hero Points: 0   Cantrips prepared: Light, Shield, Message, Electric Arc  Spells: Longstrider x1, Blood Vendetta x1  [/fieldset][/table]
Nev55GI.jpg
Samrod Ik-Sanjar
Samrod Ik-Sanjar  
HP: 92/92 - AC: 25
Conditions:  
Steel Shield: Hardness: 5   Hp: 20/20 (10)
 Hero Points: 0   Cantrips prepared: Light, Shield, Message, Electric Arc
 Spells: Longstrider x1, Blood Vendetta x1 

Samrod ponders this for a moment, stroking his beard. Then he speaks up

"Remeber Pip and Zarf? Kobolds consider themselves to be dragons. So maybe go with the truth, that we are battling the Cinderclaws because they worship the god of evil dragons, Dahak, and that they may want to throw their lot in with Bahamut instead. After all, Bahamut doesn't want to destroy the world. And of course, tell them about their kin the Ekujae found dying from poison, unable to save them. Whatever happened to them might happen to other kobolds too. If Hezle considers himself to be their leader, it is his duty to protect his people. And apparently they need protection from the Cinderclaws and their madness. "

[table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=250]https://i.redd.it/4eqgvz7zuy351.jpg[/img2] [r=2,1][fieldset=Stat Block][center][url="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2394611"][B][U][SIZE="5"]Wilder[/SIZE][/U][/B][/url] [B]Level 7 Fey Bloodline Sorcerer[/B] [B]HP:[/B] 43/43[B], AC:[/B] 25 [B]Cantrip Level:[/B] 4, [B]Class DC:[/B] 25 [B]Spell Slots:[/B], L1 4/4, L2 4/4, L3 3/4, L4 3/3(+1/1) remaining [B]Conditions:[/B] Battle medicine (1/1 remaining). Camel: Str +4, Dex +3, Con +3, Int -4, Wis +2, Cha +0 HP = 71/71, speed=35ft, spit=special move Prof bonus = 7+training, Saves = expert, Expert in Perception & Survival, Trained in Intimidation & Stealth Size = large, Move=35, low-light vision and scent [/center][/fieldset][/table]
4eqgvz7zuy351.jpg
Stat Block
Wilder
Prof bonus = 7+training, Saves = expert, Expert in Perception & Survival, Trained in Intimidation & Stealth

Wilder waves his hands and his appearance changes to that of an older blue-skinned kobold. He strolls nonchalantly towards the other kobolds and offers a scowling grimace-like smile as he tries to act like a kobold.

"Howdy there, my kobold brethren. I love dragons. Do you also love dragons? It's such a good day to think about dragons and talk about dragons, that's what I think. Say, I've seen that goofy human thing before. What an obnoxious piece of meat, right?"

(Note: see level 3 Illusory Disguise for details)

Roll

to pass as a kobold

[img2=350]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a1/0d/1f/a10d1f50a67ca3e5591268f78e173993.png[/img2]
a10d1f50a67ca3e5591268f78e173993.png

Name
Roll
SyntaxError: Unexpected token deception
1d20+19 deception

[table=2,1][r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/50/80/8a/50808a9afe01a02070531e3b55fe89fc.jpg[/img2][r=2,1][fieldset=Stat Block][center][url="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2434260"][B][U][SIZE="4"]Cirmaran Fairlagos[/SIZE][/U][/B][/url] [B]Level 7 Eldritch Trickster[/B] [B]HP:[/B] 62/62[B], AC:[/B] 25 [B]Cantrip Level:[/B] 4, [B]Class DC:[/B] 23 [B]Spell Slots:[/B] Can prepare 1 2nd Level Spell (Invisibility), 1 1st Level Spell (Ant Haul) and 2 Cantrips per day (Prestidigitation and Electric Arc), plus cast Detect Magic, Know Direction, Message, Read Aura (all are innate) and Mage Hand (via a Hand of the Mage) at will [B]Conditions:[/B] [/center][/fieldset][/table] [B][COLOR="Navy"]"Good luck, brother!"[/COLOR][/B] Cirmaran said.
50808a9afe01a02070531e3b55fe89fc.jpg
Stat Block
Cirmaran Fairlagos
Level 7 Eldritch Trickster
HP: 62/62 , AC: 25
Cantrip Level: 4, Class DC: 23
Spell Slots: Can prepare 1 2nd Level Spell (Invisibility), 1 1st Level Spell (Ant Haul) and 2 Cantrips per day (Prestidigitation and Electric Arc), plus cast Detect Magic, Know Direction, Message, Read Aura (all are innate) and Mage Hand (via a Hand of the Mage) at will
Conditions:

"Good luck, brother!" Cirmaran said.

The group hatches a brilliant idea and set it into motion. In the blink of an idea, Wilder disappears and in his place is a diminutive blue-scaled kobold, which radiates an unusual aura of wisdom about him. To get closer to the kobolds cabin, Cirmaran leads the group in circle around the clearing under cover of the dense jungle. Once in position in the jungle just behind the cabin, Wilder in blue-kobold costume slips as inconspicuously as possible around to cabin to the front door.

Wafts of smoke rise from a chimney of the small cabin. Near the hut is a wooden table, on which several objects lie obscured under a leather covering. A bin of rocky refuse sits beside the table. South of the cabin, a fifteen-foot-diameter circle of strange runes has been dug into the ground, the grooves filled with dull gray metal and adorned at each point with stubs of burnt-out black candles.

Without further ado, Wilder leans against the door - and much to his relief, finds it unlocked. He slips through the door into the gloomy interior. The cabin contains a table filled with bottles and glass distillers, a small chair and a dry linen bed. Potions bubble over magical flames, and a chemical smell lingers in the air. Bent over the table is the blue-scaled kobold seen from outside, using the workstation to investigate what looks like small golden nuggets. As Wilder steps into the cabin, she whirls around and shock and grabs her fiery staff in gloved hands.

Standing face-to-face with another kobold, she pauses in bewilderment, allowing Wilder the time to make his performance. To the best of Wilders own assessment, he feels that he catches just the right tone and demeanor to do a perfect impersonation of a kobold.

A long few seconds passes as the kobold tries to come to grips of suddenly finding another unknown kobold in her cabin. "Who....who are you?!? How did you get in here??" She replies in common, apparently in her shock and utter surprise, she never wonders why a fellow kobold would speak to her in common instead of their native draconic.

Outside, Wilders friends notice how one of the charau-ka cultists by the fire at the southern camp looks up just as Wilder slips into the cabin. He doesn't seem to be in a paticular hurry as he slowly rises from his seat and begins to move towards the cabin. He seems...curious, but not yet alarmed.

spacer.png

Edited by Abberdaggus (see edit history)
Name
Just a few rolls
3d20 20,17,4

[table=2,1] [r=1,1][IMG2=150]https://i.imgur.com/Nev55GI.jpg[/IMG2] [r=2,1][fieldset=Samrod Ik-Sanjar][B][URL="https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2399389"]Samrod Ik-Sanjar[/URL][/B] [b]HP:[/b] 92/92 -[b] AC: [/b]25 [b]Conditions:[/b] [b]Steel Shield:[/b] Hardness: 5 Hp: 20/20 (10) Hero Points: 0 Cantrips prepared: Light, Shield, Message, Electric Arc Spells: Longstrider x1, Blood Vendetta x1 [/fieldset][/table]
Nev55GI.jpg
Samrod Ik-Sanjar
Samrod Ik-Sanjar
HP: 92/92 - AC: 25
Conditions:
Steel Shield: Hardness: 5 Hp: 20/20 (10)
Hero Points: 0 Cantrips prepared: Light, Shield, Message, Electric Arc
Spells: Longstrider x1, Blood Vendetta x1

Samrod watches from his hiding place as Wilder slips into the hut. Now it's time to wait.

Once he spots the Charau-Ka ambling towards the cabin, he nudges his fellows to point him out to them, but also shakes his head as if to convey 'let us not attack for now`.

[table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=250]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a1/0d/1f/a10d1f50a67ca3e5591268f78e173993.png[/img2] [r=2,1][fieldset=Stat Block][center][url="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2394611"][B][U][SIZE="5"]Wilder[/SIZE][/U][/B][/url] [B]Level 7 Fey Bloodline Sorcerer[/B] [B]HP:[/B] 43/43[B], AC:[/B] 25 [B]Cantrip Level:[/B] 4, [B]Class DC:[/B] 25 [B]Spell Slots:[/B], L1 4/4, L2 4/4, L3 3/4, L4 3/3(+1/1) remaining [B]Conditions:[/B] Battle medicine (1/1 remaining). Camel: Str +4, Dex +3, Con +3, Int -4, Wis +2, Cha +0 HP = 71/71, speed=35ft, spit=special move Prof bonus = 7+training, Saves = expert, Expert in Perception & Survival, Trained in Intimidation & Stealth Size = large, Move=35, low-light vision and scent [/center][/fieldset][/table]
a10d1f50a67ca3e5591268f78e173993.png
Stat Block
Wilder

"Oh, hey there, Homey! How're yer scales shedding?"

"I'm just trying to be helpful. My cousin, Zok heard from his cousin Hurpo, who heard from her sister's priest Nikbi about your place here, and they sent me."

"See, couple days ago there was some human who stumbled on our lair, about two hours west of here, and he started destroying everything. Dead people, dead houses, he even killed my brother Zappi and his toad Unhoppy. Not sure how the human managed it. He was just some skinny man with yellow hair all over his head and his lip -- so gross! He must have had some sort of powerful magic thing. Just killed and splattered all over the place."

Wilder pauses to wipe a tear from his eyes, and then he shrugs.

"In any case, we're looking for some new help. They thought maybe I could help you in exchange for some supplies n' stuff. I'm a good worker, ya known, and all we need is some foods and building supplies and stuff. You all look well stocked. You've even got a big ol' pit. What's that about? Digging yourselves a new lair? Do ya' think I could help you dig, maybe, please, maybe?"

"Wait, don't tell me you found yourselves a dragon and you need to renovate your lair? That would be so awesome!!!"

Roll

Name
Roll
SyntaxError: Unexpected token deception
1d20+14 deception (although add another +4 to pass myself off as a kobold)

The kobolds eyes flicker back and forth, unsure how to handle this unexpected situation. "Look...", she says, "I don't know who you are or where you came from, but..." Her reptilian eyes are drawn towards the door at Wilders back before focusing on the other blue-scaled kobold again. "You should not be here!", her voice is a hoarse whisper, "There is no dragon here - only sickness and death. You do not have to worry about your human enemy - he has been put to work in the mine. He will not last long. You do not wish to work in the mine - believe me! You should go! Now! Hurry!"

She pauses, some thought occuring to her... Wilders eyes slowly readjust to the gloom of the cabin and he can make out several items on the workbench behind the kobold: several filled and corked vials and bottles of various shapes and sizes and a small pile of gold nuggets - there must be 20 or so, and Wilders sharp eyes reckon that they may be worth 50 gold pieces each.

She suddenly speaks up again, this time with a thoughtful glint in her eyes. "Where does your tribe reside? In Ekujae lands? Is it far from here?"

Mechanics

The +4 bonus granted by the illusory disguise only relates to deception checks preventing others from seeing through your disguise, not all uses of deception. The magic will not help you if are lying through your teeth - even if she is convinced Wilder is a kobold, she may still believe he is a lying kobold. Though, in this case, she does not show any signs of mistrust.

Outside, Wilders friends watch in silence as the charau-ka approaches at a leisurely pace, still heading straight for the cabin. As he draws near he calls out something in the local tongue only understood by CirmaranBoss Hezle! Someone just went in. Who's there with you?. His fellow cultists do not appear to pay any attention to him, but others do: As the cultist shouts out, a pair of winged creatures take to the air from somewhere in the trees in the southwest corner of the clearing. You recognise them as two of the winged bat-men, you encountered at the last dragon pillar. They begin to circle above the clearing, seemingly scouting the ground, closer and closer to the cabin.

spacer.png

"Yeah, we're not too far from the Ekujae. We see em around every so often although I've never been to their lair. We mostly stay out of their way, but they came to us all angry because they're hunting some cultists of Dahak called ashclaws, coalclaws... oh yeah it's cinderclaws. But then we were like, nah y'all, we worship Bahamut. He's pretty awesome and all powerful and he doesn't want to destroy the world like Dahak."

"After they left, my cousin Bogot found one of em dying in the jungle from some sort of poison, and we found clawed tracks, and now we're all freaked out that these cinderclaws are out there hunting creatures down. We've seen their tracks elsewhere in the jungle, and there was always death around them."

" Lsten, I love dragons, ya know. But I don't want to get killed by Dahak or his followers unless there's a real good reason for it. We're supposed to inherit the world when the dragons ascend to power ain't that right?"

Wilder sighs and then scans the room for any signs of what dragon or gods this particular kobold might follow.

Roll

Edited by ifreedman (see edit history)
Name
Roll
SyntaxError: Unexpected token perception
1d20+12 perception

Wilders eyes wander around the room but finds no outward signs of adherence to any special draconic entity or deity. In fact, the lack of outward show of fealty to Dahak may suggest that she is not as fanatically devoted as the rest of the cultists. Taking the kobold into closer scrutiny, Wilder finds her a bit off relative to what he had expected. Even accounting for the unfamiliar kobold mannerisms, she strikes Wilder as strangely nervous and anxious. If he didn't know better, he would have marked her more as a prisoner than the foreman of the mine.

She clearly finds Wilder somewhat... odd, for a kobold - she regards him with a look of wondering or even bafflement, but not suspicion as such. She is struggling to decide what to make of this strange kobold appearing suddenly on her footstep.

Mechanics

Wilder, please make a diplomacy check. You've rolled pretty well so far - but this is the make or break roll!