Chapter 6: Pillars of Ruin, continued

Abberdaggus

[table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=250]https://i.redd.it/4eqgvz7zuy351.jpg[/img2] [r=2,1][fieldset=Stat Block][center][url="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2394611"][B][U][SIZE="5"]Wilder[/SIZE][/U][/B][/url] [B]Level 7 Fey Bloodline Sorcerer[/B] [B]HP:[/B] 43/43[B], AC:[/B] 25 [B]Cantrip Level:[/B] 4, [B]Class DC:[/B] 25 [B]Spell Slots:[/B], L1 4/4, L2 4/4, L3 3/4, L4 3/3(+1/1) remaining [B]Conditions:[/B] Battle medicine (1/1 remaining). Camel: Str +4, Dex +3, Con +3, Int -4, Wis +2, Cha +0 HP = 71/71, speed=35ft, spit=special move Prof bonus = 7+training, Saves = expert, Expert in Perception & Survival, Trained in Intimidation & Stealth Size = large, Move=35, low-light vision and scent [/center][/fieldset][/table]
4eqgvz7zuy351.jpg
Stat Block
Wilder Level 7 Fey Bloodline Sorcerer HP: 43/43 , AC: 25 Cantrip Level: 4, Class DC: 25 Spell Slots: , L1 4/4, L2 4/4, L3 3/4, L4 3/3(+1/1) remaining Conditions: Battle medicine (1/1 remaining). Camel: Str +4, Dex +3, Con +3, Int -4, Wis +2, Cha +0 HP = 71/71, speed=35ft, spit=special move Prof bonus = 7+training, Saves = expert, Expert in Perception & Survival, Trained in Intimidation & Stealth Size = large, Move=35, low-light vision and scent

Diplomacy

EDIT: See my next post!

Roll

Edited by ifreedman (see edit history)
Name
Roll
1d20+13 1

Oathday, 10 Rova 4719, late afternoon

Hezle moves in closer to Wilder and speaks softly, "Listen, brother - I do not know who you are or where you come from, but this is not a place you want to be - believe me." She looks around nervously as if suspecting a horde of elves come bursting through the doors and windows at any time. "I lead a small band of Thornscale clansmen into the Ekujae lands in search of the remnants of the mighty aspect of Dahak. Much to our awe and delight we came across The Great Red and his minions. He quickly recognised our worth and allowed us to serve him here at the mine." She sighs and the spark in her eyes seems to fade. "But it was not as we were promised.... Although I was put in charge of the operation of the mine so I could test the divine purity of the Tears of Dahak, my fellow clansmen were put to slave in the mine. One by one they become infected by the Taint of Dahak. I tried to petition The Great Red for help, but I was denied access to the Fortress of Sorrow. It worried me deeply - surely The Great Red would never deny aid to his most loyal subjects!?!"

She shakes her head and her anguish is plain as she remembers, "I saw no other choice - if my clansmen stayed with the mine, they would soon succumb to the Taint. One night, I helped them take off into the jungle. I stayed behind - to cover their...retreat... I fear it was too late and they have withered away by the Taint - or worse, taken as slaves by the Ekujae. So you see? There is nothing here for you but death and disease..."

At this point, Hezle is suddenly interrupted by a loud banging on the door and a gruff voice is heard shouting from the outside (in MwangiBOSS!! Who is there with you?!? Is it one of those treacherous sewer rats??). For a moment, a look of panic crosses Hezle's face - then she shouts back in a shaking voice (in MwangiNo one is here! You were dreaming. I told you I was not to be disturbed - now go away!!)

Outside, Wilders friends see the cultisk walk up to the cabin, hammer on the door and shout something through the door. A faint answer from the inside.

Meanwhile, the to flying bat-men has split up to cover a wider area. One circles to the north of the mine, towards the cage of the captured Mokele-Mbembe, the other one dives down over the cabin and the jungle behind, not far from where the group is hiding in the dense jungle. Although the foliage does provide good cover, hiding a camel is not easy! Fortunately, Renali thinks quickly, and with a wave of her hand and a few whispered words, She touches Wednesday's woollen fur and the camel suddenly disappears from sight.

Mechanics

Sorry, guys - Hezle is not trained in deception 😄

I will allow you to react before we see what happens...

spacer.png

Edited by Abberdaggus (see edit history)
Name
Hezle deception
1d20+3 4

[table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=250]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a1/0d/1f/a10d1f50a67ca3e5591268f78e173993.png[/img2] [r=2,1][fieldset=Stat Block][center][url="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2394611"][B][U][SIZE="5"]Wilder[/SIZE][/U][/B][/url] [B]Level 7 Fey Bloodline Sorcerer[/B] [B]HP:[/B] 43/43[B], AC:[/B] 25 [B]Cantrip Level:[/B] 4, [B]Class DC:[/B] 25 [B]Spell Slots:[/B], L1 4/4, L2 4/4, L3 3/4, L4 3/3(+1/1) remaining [B]Conditions:[/B] Battle medicine (1/1 remaining). Camel: Str +4, Dex +3, Con +3, Int -4, Wis +2, Cha +0 HP = 71/71, speed=35ft, spit=special move Prof bonus = 7+training, Saves = expert, Expert in Perception & Survival, Trained in Intimidation & Stealth Size = large, Move=35, low-light vision and scent [/center][/fieldset][/table]
a10d1f50a67ca3e5591268f78e173993.png
Stat Block
Wilder
Level 7 Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
HP: 43/43 , AC: 25
Cantrip Level: 4, Class DC: 25
Spell Slots: , L1 4/4, L2 4/4, L3 3/4, L4 3/3(+1/1) remaining
Conditions: Battle medicine (1/1 remaining).
Camel: Str +4, Dex +3, Con +3, Int -4, Wis +2, Cha +0
HP = 71/71, speed=35ft, spit=special move
Prof bonus = 7+training, Saves = expert, Expert in Perception & Survival, Trained in Intimidation & Stealth
Size = large, Move=35, low-light vision and scent

"Oh my, by the dragon's gut," Wilder whispers to the kobold after the shouting from outside stops. "I trust your judgement about this place. Is there anything I can do to help you, though? If you tell me more about this mine -- what they're mining, what dangers to be aware of, and about the taint -- perhaps I could help you escape? Perhaps I could help to heal the others. We could find and heal them together. I do have a knack for healing, you know!"

Oathday, 10 Rova 4719, late afternoon

Before Hezle has a chance to reply, a loud crash signals that the cultist outside did not seem to buy the half-hearted attempt by the kobold boss to pull a bluff. The unlocked door to the cabin bursts inward, narrowly missing Wilder as it smashes against the wall. A short menacing charau-ka enters, shoutingI knew it! You are harboring the filthy deserters. Dahak does not look kindly upon those, who betray him! triumphantly as he lays eyes on Wilder. Without hesitation, he grabs Wilder by the collar and spits a tiradeAnd you, little deserter: There is still much gold to be mined. You are far behind on your quota! Down you go!! into his face, which Wilder doesn't understand. The charau-ka is not tall, but it looks like a hairy bundle of pure muscle that looks like it could probably break Wilder over his knee with little effort. On its back is fastened a vicious-looking trident.

Mechanics

The charau-ka attempts to grab Wilder. He can try to resist or come willingly.

Charau-ka initiative

Charau-ka grab

Hezle looks pale and anxious and frozen to the spot. She makes no move to intefere or help Wilder.

Outside, Wilders friends hear the commotion coming from the hut, and realise that the cultist has broken down the door and has most likely discovered Wilder within. Meanwhile, the bat-man swoops over the jungle canopy above, scanning the area for anything out of the ordinary. It does, however, appear to be momentarily distracted by the commotion at the cabin.

Mechanics

Bat-man perception

The jungle provides greater cover, so you all receive a +4 bonus to your stealth DCs.

Although Boradur in particular stands out in the jungle like a sore thumb, the aerial scout fails to notice the bunch and it passes by overhead without raising any alarm.

spacer.png

Name
Charau-ka initiative
1d20+11 6
Charau-ka grab
1d20+11 19
Bat-man perception
1d20+10-4 2

[table=2,1][r=1,1][img2=250]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a1/0d/1f/a10d1f50a67ca3e5591268f78e173993.png[/img2] [r=2,1][fieldset=Stat Block][center][url="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2394611"][B][U][SIZE="5"]Wilder[/SIZE][/U][/B][/url] [B]Level 7 Fey Bloodline Sorcerer[/B] [B]HP:[/B] 43/43[B], AC:[/B] 25 [B]Cantrip Level:[/B] 4, [B]Class DC:[/B] 25 [B]Spell Slots:[/B], L1 4/4, L2 4/4, L3 3/4, L4 3/3(+1/1) remaining [B]Conditions:[/B] Battle medicine (1/1 remaining). Camel: Str +4, Dex +3, Con +3, Int -4, Wis +2, Cha +0 HP = 71/71, speed=35ft, spit=special move Prof bonus = 7+training, Saves = expert, Expert in Perception & Survival, Trained in Intimidation & Stealth Size = large, Move=35, low-light vision and scent [/center][/fieldset][/table]
a10d1f50a67ca3e5591268f78e173993.png
Stat Block
Wilder Level 7 Fey Bloodline Sorcerer HP: 43/43 , AC: 25 Cantrip Level: 4, Class DC: 25 Spell Slots: , L1 4/4, L2 4/4, L3 3/4, L4 3/3(+1/1) remaining Conditions: Battle medicine (1/1 remaining). Camel: Str +4, Dex +3, Con +3, Int -4, Wis +2, Cha +0 HP = 71/71, speed=35ft, spit=special move Prof bonus = 7+training, Saves = expert, Expert in Perception & Survival, Trained in Intimidation & Stealth Size = large, Move=35, low-light vision and scent

Wilder whines, whimpers and mewls softly, and nods his head, pretending to understand what the cultist is saying. He lets the man grab him and move him wherever the cultists thinks he should go.

EDIT: @Abberdaggus FYI PMed you about something.

alBD9d1.jpg

Boradur

AC: 28 HP: 101/101 Focus: 2/2 Hero Points: 2

Perception: +12
Condition: none
Shield: Hardness 10 HP: 96/96 (48)

Boradur watches from the brush in puzzlement. He's far enough away that he can't be certain what's happening in the kobold's hut, but it doesn't look good. Still, no sign of fighting and with those darn flying monkeys overhead, it's not like he can get any closer without being spotted. For that matter, he's a bit surprised they haven't spotted him yet. Cirmaran must have put him in the perfect spot, but that will surely end as soon as he moves. Feeling certain the rogue is still somewhere close, Boradur mutters "Can you get any closer, figure out what's going on in there? Wilder can take care of himself but if the odds get any worse, he's going to be in real trouble."

[table=2,1][r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/50/80/8a/50808a9afe01a02070531e3b55fe89fc.jpg[/img2][r=2,1][fieldset=Stat Block][center][url="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2434260"][B][U][SIZE="4"]Cirmaran Fairlagos[/SIZE][/U][/B][/url] [B]Level 7 Eldritch Trickster[/B] [B]HP:[/B] 62/62[B], AC:[/B] 25 [B]Cantrip Level:[/B] 4, [B]Class DC:[/B] 23 [B]Spell Slots:[/B] Can prepare 1 2nd Level Spell (Invisibility), 1 1st Level Spell (Ant Haul) and 2 Cantrips per day (Prestidigitation and Electric Arc), plus cast Detect Magic, Know Direction, Message, Read Aura (all are innate) and Mage Hand (via a Hand of the Mage) at will [B]Conditions:[/B] [/center][/fieldset][/table] [B][COLOR="Navy"]"Good luck, brother!"[/COLOR][/B] Cirmaran said.
50808a9afe01a02070531e3b55fe89fc.jpg
Stat Block
Cirmaran Fairlagos Level 7 Eldritch Trickster HP: 62/62 , AC: 25 Cantrip Level: 4, Class DC: 23 Spell Slots: Can prepare 1 2nd Level Spell (Invisibility), 1 1st Level Spell (Ant Haul) and 2 Cantrips per day (Prestidigitation and Electric Arc), plus cast Detect Magic, Know Direction, Message, Read Aura (all are innate) and Mage Hand (via a Hand of the Mage) at will Conditions:

"I have a bad feeling about this... I'm going to drop the air cover, and find out what's going on..." Cirmaran whispered to his companions. That said, the elf drew and fired an arrow near vertically into the bat-creature above him. If that didn't finish it, he cast Electric Arc in hope of catching its companion too.

Show this

Ok, figuring out combat posting now...

First action: Strike with bow...

To Hit

Damage

Sneak Attack

Second Action: Electric Arc (on one or both bat-creatures, if the second is within range)...

Damage

Name
To Hit
1d20+16 19
Damage
2d6+2 6,5
Sneak Attack
2d6 3,3
Damage
4d4+3 3,2,2,3

Surprise!

With uncanny precision, Cirmaran places an arrow in the man-bats chest, followed by a flash of crackling lightning. The assault is almost enough to drop the creature out of the sky - but not quite. With a shriek of surprise, pain and confusion, it turns to locate the invaders...

The other man-bat is out across the open-pit mine at this point and not within range of Cirmarans magic. But magical lightning is hardly subtle, and the flash and crackle attrackt its attention.

Inside the cabin, the head of the cultist jerks in the direction of the commotion outside the door - at this point, it seems more curious than alarmed, though.

Mechanics

Man-bat reflex save

Near man-bat initiative

Far man-bat initiative

Cultist initiative

Hezle initiative

Cirmarans bow attack was a crit - you can add a d10 to damage for deadly trait of the bow.

BTW - what is Cirmarans magic DC?

Please roll initiative - if you beat the initative of the three enemies, take action.

spacer.png

Name
Man-bat reflex save
1d20+14 16
Near man-bat initiative
1d20+10 18
Far man-bat initiative
1d20+10 12
Cultist initiative
1d20+11 7
Hezle initiative
1d20+14 20

[table=2,1] [r=1,1][IMG2=150]https://i.imgur.com/Nev55GI.jpg[/IMG2] [r=2,1][fieldset=Samrod Ik-Sanjar][B][URL="https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2399389"]Samrod Ik-Sanjar[/URL][/B] [b]HP:[/b] 92/92 -[b] AC: [/b]25 [b]Conditions:[/b] [b]Steel Shield:[/b] Hardness: 5 Hp: 20/20 (10) Hero Points: 0 Cantrips prepared: Light, Shield, Message, Electric Arc Spells: Longstrider x1, Blood Vendetta x1 [/fieldset][/table]
Nev55GI.jpg
Samrod Ik-Sanjar
Samrod Ik-Sanjar HP: 92/92 - AC: 25 Conditions: Steel Shield: Hardness: 5 Hp: 20/20 (10) Hero Points: 0 Cantrips prepared: Light, Shield, Message, Electric Arc Spells: Longstrider x1, Blood Vendetta x1

Expecting to fight an entire host of enemies in melee, Samrod prepared his sword and shield, still his most potent weapons. As he stoically awaits the outcome of Wilders gambit, he surveys the soon to be battlefiled , ready to react to any change of the situation. He is wary of the flying ape-creature of course, but for the moment, their luck seems to hold and they remain hidden.

That is until Cirmaran fires an arrow at the circling creature, scoring a telling hit, but failing to kill it outright. So his comrade follows it up with a cantrip, but that too fails to slay the foe. Hesitating for a moment to try and gauge if the enemy is in range (only one way to find out really), Samrod casts his own

Electric Arc (DC21) spell to add to the fray, hoping to make a difference. He then decides to stride towards the edge of the jungle, ready to engage the cultists in melee and trusting Boradur's hammer to finish what he and Cirmaran started.

Edited by Lycar (see edit history)
Name
surveys the soon to be battlefiled
1d20+16 13
Electric Arc
4d4+2 2,4,1,2

alBD9d1.jpg

Boradur

Boradur's attention is jerked back to the sky as Cirmaran unleashes a brutal assault on the flier. Samrod follows with a lightning bolt of his own and Boradur smiles grimly the creature wobbles under the assault. His hand flashes to his hammer, but the bat creature dives out of sight before he can strike.

Name
Initiative
1d20+12 15

Round 1

Hezle senses that something unexpected is happening outside - and probably not something good. But she has no idea what is going on. She reaches slowly for her staff leaning against the wall, but otherwise remains passive and alert.

A second streak of lightning flashes towards the sky, engulfing the flying creature. Evading the worst of the blast, the beast quickly recovers and regains its balance. The man-bat has no bearing on the assailants remaining hidden in the underbrush, except for Samrod, who leaves his hiding place to take up position at the edge of the jungle. But the creature has a vague idea where the lightning bolts came from. Hovering in mid air it suddenly emits a loud deafening shriek, which reverberates through the flesh and bones of Samrod, Cirmaran and Boradur and threatens to overwhelm their ear drums. Even as the shrieking subsides, a loud ringing remains in their ears. If they had hoped to enter the mine indetected, there is little doubt that by now the whole complex must be on alert.

Mechanics

Man-bat reflex save

Actions:

Man bat 1:

• Action 1: Hover
  • Action 2-3: Fell shriek: Samrod, Boradur and Cirmaran must make a DC 23 fort save or become deafened for 1 minute.

Boradur is next. Wilder still needs to roll initiative. If he rolls higher than 22, he will enter the init order together with Boradur - take action.

Init order:

• Hezle: 34
  • Samrod: 29
  • Man bat 1: 28
  • Boradur: 27
  • Man bat 2: 22
  • Cultist: 18
  • Cirmaran: 18

spacer.png

Name
Man-bat reflex save
1d20+14 13

Roll

Wilder initiative

Wilder is going to play it cool and avoid reacting until he figures out what the cultist is doing. (So holding my turn for now)

Edit, I realize that I must have mistyped the bonus. Only +12. So the total should be 30, although that probably doesn't matter much if he's delaying.

Name
Roll
1d20+13 18

[table=2,1][r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/50/80/8a/50808a9afe01a02070531e3b55fe89fc.jpg[/img2][r=2,1][fieldset=Stat Block][center][url="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2434260"][B][U][SIZE="4"]Cirmaran Fairlagos[/SIZE][/U][/B][/url] [B]Level 7 Eldritch Trickster[/B] [B]HP:[/B] 62/62[B], AC:[/B] 25 [B]Cantrip Level:[/B] 4, [B]Class DC:[/B] 23 [B]Spell Slots:[/B] Can prepare 1 2nd Level Spell (Invisibility), 1 1st Level Spell (Ant Haul) and 2 Cantrips per day (Prestidigitation and Electric Arc), plus cast Detect Magic, Know Direction, Message, Read Aura (all are innate) and Mage Hand (via a Hand of the Mage) at will [B]Conditions:[/B] [/center][/fieldset][/table] [B][COLOR="Navy"]"Good luck, brother!"[/COLOR][/B] Cirmaran said.
50808a9afe01a02070531e3b55fe89fc.jpg
Stat Block
Cirmaran Fairlagos Level 7 Eldritch Trickster HP: 62/62 , AC: 25 Cantrip Level: 4, Class DC: 23 Spell Slots: Can prepare 1 2nd Level Spell (Invisibility), 1 1st Level Spell (Ant Haul) and 2 Cantrips per day (Prestidigitation and Electric Arc), plus cast Detect Magic, Know Direction, Message, Read Aura (all are innate) and Mage Hand (via a Hand of the Mage) at will Conditions:

Seeing his foe not yet dead, the elf fired another arrow, and followed up with a second spell if necessary.

Show this

First action: Strike with bow...

To Hit

Damage

SneakAttack

Second Action: Electric Arc (on one or both bat-creatures, if the second is within range and only if necessary for the kill; DC 22)...

ElectricArc

Name
To Hit
1d20+16 14
Damage
2d6+2 1,5
SneakAttack
2d6 2,6
ElectricArc
4d4+3 2,2,4,2

alBD9d1.jpg

Boradur

Readying his hammer, Boradur peers through the jungle branches for the wounded man-bat. It helpfully locates itself with a screeching sonic attack, irritating but hardly debilitating to one used to the ringing of a dozen forges. Boradur hurls his hammer, scoring a solid hit despite the range, the hammer hurtles back to his hand and regardless of whether the creature survives or not, the sturdy warrior turns and begins crashing through the jungle growth to find a position where he can better cover his friends.

Actions

Action 1: Ready Hammer

Action 2: Strike

Action 3: Stride to AC 55

Name
Fort Save
1d20+14 18
Thrown hammer
1d20+11 15
damage
2d6+4 4,5