Chapter 01e: When Home Burns (Evacuation!)

Kamishiro_Rin

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 19 (Chainmail, Shield +1) | HP: 19/22 (5 THP) | HD: 2/4 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
Str: 17 (+3) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 16 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

Artanis rushes to the window after Jeyev, cursing as he sees the man escaping over the rooftops. He reaches for a javelin before Lieutenant Folketh and Modri draw his attention back to the room. He starts as he sees her kneel and expose her neck. He offers a hand to the prisoner, helping her to her feet should she wish it. "As Modri says, not here to execute you. Not here to free you either, though you've certainly proven your honour. Makes me wonder how you ended up serving something as evil as Takhisis. The town is evacuating, and as my prisoner that means you too."

He nods in acknowledgement to Modri, having not understood the message. "I just need to get one last box Ser Becklin asked I give to Darrett," he replies heading back through to Ser Becklin's room. "She said it was he-ere under her bed," he calls back, grunting with exertion as he slides it free. Putting his sword away, he grapples with it for a few seconds before admitting defeat and shouting down "Actually, could you give me a hand with this Modri? It's a bit bigger than she let on!"

When the dwarf comes through, Artanis thanks him for his help, grabbing one end. "I reckon I should be able to hook it on to Tiergan, either that or you get Lieutenant Folketh to help you carry it down to the wharf. If we're in a rush Tiergan's quicker than I."

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d8 + 5) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

RDA Javelin (range, thrown) [10]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage, 1d4 fire damage.

Lance (special). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (1d12 + 5) piercing damage, 1d4 Fire damage.

Battlefield Presence.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark

Urgent Orders  

Helpful Word

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 1/2 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 3/3 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)
Name
Retrospective Short Rest HD
1d8+1 2
Song of Rest Bonus (If Applicable)
1d6 2

Merituuli PortraitMerituuli Kaiutin
Level 3 Sea Elf Far Traveler Beast Master Ranger

AC: 18 (Scale Mail, +2 Shield) | HP: 30/36 (3d10+6+6) | Speed: 30 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 17 (Expertise, Darkvision 60 ft.), Insight 15, Investigation 10
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 17 (+3) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Kenderspeak, Kharolian, Khur

“My words” | ‘My thoughts’  | My actions . . .

Merituuli rushes over to Decimus's side after the surprise assault by the gliding draconian. "You alright, friend? Let me take a look at that..." He spends a moment studying the stab wound, trying to get an idea of just how deadly the poison used could be and thinking up some natural cures that could be useful for treating villagers attacked by the draconic fiends. Unfortunately, in his haste Merituuli is a bit careless in handling the wound and some of the poison seeps into his own skin, causing a horrible stinging sensation throughout his entire body that leaves him convulsing on the ground for what feels like an eternity to him, but is in actuality just a few short seconds. (Nat 1! Reflavoring bludgeoning damage as poison damage.)

Stumbling back up to his feet, Merituuli looks to Kalasääski, perched upon his shoulder, and asks, "*Cough* Help me keep a watch for more of those bastards, would you? Any come nearby, you give a *cough cough* a warning cry." The osprey lifts off into the air, keeping a circular perimeter watch around the evacuation site. (Using Kalasääski to grant advantage on the Perception check, cancelling out the disadvantage from the Nat 1 earlier.)

Seeing the Bakaris-manned sailboat float away swiftly with the wind, Merituuli attempts to get an idea of how long the favorable breeze will last. Unfortunately, he can no longer get a clear view of the sky, what with the smoke and gliding draconians.

OOC

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Movement: —

Reaction: —

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Baculite Shell (Shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+3 bludgeoning damage.

Thorn Whip. Melee Spell Attack: +5 to hit, range 30 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 piercing damage.

Heavy Crossbow (heavy, loading, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 100/400 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d10+2 piercing damage.

Dagger (finesse, light, thrown). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Baculite Shell (Quarterstaff) (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+1 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage.

Net (thrown, special). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 5/15 ft., one target.
Hit: A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net.

Bonus Actions:

Primal Companion: Take Action. As a bonus action on your turn you command your Primal Companion to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. You can also sacrifice one of your attacks when you take the Attack action to command the beast to take the Attack action. If you are incapacitated, the beast can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge.

Other:

Favored Foe. When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

The first time on each of your turns that you hit the favored enemy and deal damage to it, including when you mark it, you can increase that damage by 1d4.

You can use this feature to mark a favored enemy a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This feature’s extra damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d6 at 6th level and to 1d8 at 14th level.

Friend of the Sea. You can communicate simple ideas to any Beast with a swimming speed. It can understand your words but you cannot understand it in return.

Ammunition:

20/20 Crossbow Bolts

Class Features:

• 1/2 Favored Foe Marks
  • 2/3 1st Level Spells
Edited by PhoenixSlayer (see edit history)
Name
Medicine to study draconian stab wound
1d20+3 1
Poison Damage!
2d6 2,4
Bird-Aided Perception
1d20+7 15
Survival to determine how long wind will last
1d20+5 2

Date

On This Magetag, the 23rd Day of Brookgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Tuesday, March 23, 351 AC)

The 3rd Day of the Campaign - Evening

From Thornwall Keep to the Wharf

Coltan, Modri, Ser Artanis, and Ser Michelle

Ser Artanis and Modri see two heavy tears fall onto the stone floor before she sighs in relief. Ser Michelle screws up her eyes, wipes her nose and stands proud. “You truly are good men,” she says, “Modri, Ser Artanis . . . and no, I do not need to be carried like some . . . princess!”

With that, she goes over to the bed and tears the bed sheet into a few strips, quickly and efficiently—a feat of strength that betrays her hard training as a knight. Wrapping them around her side and tying them across her back, the crude bandage will have to suffice.

“If nothing else, you can at least admit that my sword would have cauterized these wounds!”

When you go to Ser Becklin’s room, you find the ornately carved wooden crate under the bed with painted decorations—including a beautifully carved and painted crest. There are rope handles on either end, but it is the size of a man in length and just as wide. If you didn’t know better, one could be forgiven for mistaking the box for a coffin of sorts. The crest is that of the Knights of Solamnia and there, in the decoratively carved banner is “Sir Darrett Highwater”.

But Artanis isn’t ignorant of what this is. Undoing the latches, you open it and find, settled in velvet molded cushioning, a gorgeous, brand new set of plate armor and horned helmet. Nestled in its own molding is a sealed scroll that Artanis would recognize as the scroll of commission: the order that the person named therein should be knighted by the governing lord, signed and sealed, and given to the knight. It is their official certificate of knighthood.

Atop the scroll is a sealed envelope that reads “To Ser Artanis”. The envelope is thick, and tied with expensive-looking silk rope. A small note tied to the rope says “Save this for what’s inside”.

“I shall help you carry this with Mr. Modri,” Ser Michelle offers. “This ‘Darrett Highwater’ must be a one heck of a man to earn this.”

You all close and re-latch the crate, pick it up by its sturdy rope ends and head downstairs.

There, you meet Mery, who is just entering the foyer of the keep.

As you exit the keep, Mery finds the cat licking its paw, sitting atop Handsome’s saddle.

Shooing him off only ends in the cat hopping rather adroitly back up onto Handsom’s hindquarters.

On the way down the hill, Ser Michelle says to Modri, to break the silence, “Lioness, huh? Heh. I like it . . .”

“When I was a weeeee little girl, Father and I were exiled from a big city—I don’t remember much about it, but we had a house just outside the city with a farm. The city had big people on the walls—really big people.”

“Father was a knight in our home in exile, over in Nordmaar. We had a good life there until the Dragon Armies invaded a few years back. I’d say I was about 18 or 19 back then.”

“Anyway, I’d been training as a squire for several years and both of us were drafted into the army, as were basically everyone else who could pick up a sword and not cut themselves. Father was immediately commissioned as a lieutenant and I was made a sergeant in another platoon. Father said that we should serve with honor and distinction as knights first, no matter whom we served.”

“But you should have seen it! The Gods were back, Mr. Modri, and Takhisis showed herself to us! We were given weapons that channeled her very power! Well, the Red and the Blue Dragon Armies moved down into to Silvanesti, but that turned into pyrrhic victory—the elves there activated some sort of artifact and turned the whole place into a hellish wasteland.”

Here, anger flashes across her features.

“****ing waste. Dad died for nothing there—well, that’s when I received his effects—that handkerchief in an envelope, by the way—and a knighthood—the only daughter of a knight inherits the title and thus I became Dame Michelle Folketh . . . and with my knighthood, they finally deigned to grant me the official commission—lieutenant—that they’d refused to give me no matter how much I’d distinguished myself in battle. My section all earned their promotions, and the new men under me—including a section of those draconian freaks have been pretty damned loyal and competent fighters.”

“Anyway, re-grouped up in Taman Busuk, in Neraka, before Kansaldi ‘Fire-Eyes’ got it in her head that we needed to go over into the Northern Wastes and then encircle Kalaman.”

“Ha! I ought to have brought my whole platoon with me to deliver the orders to Vogler. Get arrogant just once and now you’re carrying the enemy’s armor in box like some common grunt. Heh!” She shakes her head “. . . So, what’s your story, Mr. Modri?”

Eventually you all head down the hill, two horse riders and two carrying a box. You meet Coltan at the base of the hill and start heading towards the wharf together.

Invasion Encounter

Ominous Riders

Coltan, then Ser Michelle, who alerts the rest of you with a startled, “Look! Atop the bluffs!”.  A distant flash of light catches your attention. Atop the cliffs overlooking Vogler, three ghastly, ethereal figures sit on three empyrean, skeletal, motionless horses sit. You make out the glint of light on plate armor.

Interestingly, two of them appear to be glaring daggers at the third before all three disappears in another flash of ghastly light.

Anyone who succeeds on a DC 16 Intelligence (History) check (Ser Artanis automatically succeeds on this check), . . .

. . . recognizes the figures as wearing the antiquated armor of Knights of Solamnia—armor in a style that hasn’t been worn for hundreds of years.

Anyone who succeeds on a separate DC 16 Intelligence (History) check (Mery succeeds on this check), . . .

. . . recognizes the third figure as the infamous and dreaded ‘Lord Soth’ .

Nightlund

For generations, the Soths of Dargaard Keep—a family of Knights of Solamnia—ruled the Solamnic province once known as Knightlund. Before the Cataclysm, the gods of good forewarned Knightlund’s leader, Lord Loren Soth, about the coming destruction and offered him a chance to stop it, but he failed to accomplish this task. Since then, the province has had a cursed reputation. People have come to know the land as Nightlund and ascribe the region’s frequent storms to the old gods’ disfavor.

Lord Soth’s Legend

In the years before the Cataclysm, Loren Soth was a Solamnic Knight of the Order of the Rose. He ruled the province of Knightlund from Dargaard Keep. However, his fall from grace began when he rescued a company of Silvanesti elves from raiders, including the priest Isolde and her attendants. Though Lord Soth was married, he fell in love with Isolde—and shortly after, Soth’s wife died. He and Isolde married days later. For disrespecting his dead wife’s memory, the Knights of Solamnia cast Soth from their orders.

Soon after, the gods called Soth to redeem himself by preventing the Cataclysm, but Soth failed in his quest, and the gods rained destruction on the world. The Knights of Solamnia fell into disgrace in the aftermath of the Cataclysm, and Dargaard Keep became a cursed, haunted ruin.

If you rolled 20 or greater on this check . . . (Mery must roll for this check, with advantage)

The Rest of the Story

When Lord Soth began his gods-given quest to avert the Cataclysm, he encountered Isolde’s attendants, who blamed him for leading Isolde from her holy path. The attendants played on his jealousy, falsely accusing Isolde of being unfaithful. Enraged, Soth ignored the gods’ direction and returned to Dargaard Keep to murder her. As he did, the gods unleashed the Cataclysm on the world. With Isolde’s dying breath, she cursed Soth to suffer one lifetime for every life lost in the Cataclysm.

For his defiance of the gods, Soth became a death knight, while his followers were similarly reanimated as other Undead. Meanwhile, several of Isolde’s attendants became spirits devoted to ensuring Soth never finds peace.

All of you, however, recognize the unmistakable features of Mayor Raven uth Vogler writ masculine on one of the two that had been standing defiantly against the third: that must be the famous Lord Vogler, who founded this town, and perhaps one of his men.

spacer.png   As you approach the wharf, you can see Vogler going up in flames—and horrific creatures, the draconians—cutting people down as they flee.

Ser Michelle has the decency to look away in shame. My men and I—we fought battles against other soldiers and knights—bravely and with honor and pride . . . This . . . this isn’t what I was told would happen. I was told to order you to let us quarter here. This is . . .”

Statblocks
Skill Challenge Time!

Please choose any three skills you’d like, and write up how you use them to move get through the crowd and down to the wharf to join your friends—including how you help keep people calm and orderly. I don’t care what skills you choose, just make it sound plausible.

@PureChance or @Peacemonger, please write for Ser Michelle. I think one of you said you shackled Ser Michelle, so maybe you’ll for her skills to be on the intelligence/wisdom/charisma side of things. Up to you if she’s shackled or not. Do any of you actually have any shackles?

You’ll need to succeed on a DC 12 check for each of the three skills you choose. You need at least 10 collectives successes out of 15 (3 checks for Coltan, 3 for Mery, 3 for Modri, 3 for Ser Artanis, and 3 for Ser Michelle = 15 total checks) to succeed. Please don’t roll them all at the same time, but in order: see below.

I’d like part of your theme of getting to the wharf—because you’re coming from behind—to be protection of the crowd from the encroaching invaders. Thus, instead of multiplying your total failures by d8 for slain villagers, we’ll be subtracting your total successes from the wharf-group’s total failures, and hope we reach zero (less than zero doesn’t resurrect anyone, sorry).

• If your check totals 6 or less, not only do you fail, but, this adds a complication (try to come up with what that is in your post), and imposes disadvantage on your next roll. If this is your third roll, that complication carries over to the next person to post!
  • If you roll a natural 1, take 2d6 bludgeoning damage from being trampled, fall prone (get separated from the group!), and add a complication, as above!
  • If your check totals 7–11, then you merely fail that skill check without complication.
  • If you roll a natural 20, then that counts not just as a success, but a facilitation! Take advantage on your next roll!

• For the purposes of the overall count (see below), a natural 20 also counts as two successes, and subtracts 1d8 from the slain villagers count for that round.

• If you succeed (a total of 10–14 total successes between the four of you out of 15, then the crowd is brought back under some modicum of control, and you’ll meet up with the rest of your party in the next round.
  • If your skill challenge fails (1–9 total successes out of 15), then you three take 1d6 bludgeoning damage from trampling, each.
  • If you utterly fail (0 total successes out of 15), then you three take 3d6 bludgeoning damage from trampling, each, you completely lose control of the crowd. You will have to extricate yourselves from the area (difficult terrain), and you’ll have to do another skill challenge you can meet up with the others on the south-side of town.
  • If you totally succeed (15 total successes out of 15), then that counts as a grand facilitation!

Be creative and think outside of the box! Within a single round, you will need to use three different skills, but if you use the same skill as another player in the same round, that’s fine. In other words, you can’t use athletics, athletics, and athletics, but if you and another player both use athletics once, each, in the same round, that’s fine. You may use athletics, again, in the next round—but don’t restrict yourselves to the same three skills every single time. New circumstances and new information might inspire you to use different skills from the last time.

Good luck!

• Lt. Dame Michelle Folketh.
    • Armor Class 12
    • Hit Points 32/65 (10d8 + 20)
    • Speed 30 ft.
    • STR +3, DEX +2, CON +2, INT +1, WIS +2, CHA +1
    • Saving Throws Dex +4, Wis +4
    • Skills Athletics +5, Perception +4
    • Senses passive Perception 14
    • Draconic Devotion. While the officer can see a Dragon that isn’t hostile to it, the officer has advantage on attack rolls.
    • Assault Orders (Recharge 5–6). The officer shouts orders and targets up to two other creatures within 60 feet of itself. If a target has the Draconic Devotion trait and can hear the officer, the target can use its reaction to make one melee attack.
  • Warhorse.
    • Armor Class 11
    • Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
    • Speed 60 ft.
    • STR +4, DEX +1, CON +1, INT –4, WIS +1, CHA –2
    • Senses passive Perception 11
    • Trampling Charge. If the horse moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a hooves attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the horse can make another attack with its hooves against it as a bonus action.
    • Actions
      • Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage.
  • Cat.
    • Armor Class 12
    • Hit Points 2 (1d4)
    • Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.
    • STR –4, DEX +2, CON +0, INT –4, WIS +1, CHA –2
    • Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4
    • Senses passive Perception 13
    • Keen Smell. The cat has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.
    • Actions
      • Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 slashing damage.
Lieutenant Dame Michelle Folketh spacer.png Warhorse

Lieutenant Dame Michelle Folketh,
a. k. a. “Lieutenant”,
“Lieutenant Folketh”,
“Dame Michelle”, or
“Ser Michelle”

Cat Warhorses
“Handsome”
and
“Tiergan”
Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 3 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 25/25 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 16 (+5)
Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 2/4 2nd 0/2 | Bardic Inspiration: 0/3

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions

Mery nods a greeting to Modri, Ser Artanis, and Dame Michelle, but doesn't say anything because they seem preoccupied with Darrett's box and she doesn't want to cause a distraction that might lead to one of them getting hurt.

Before mounting Handsome, she picks the cat up to check its gender, which proves to be female. "OK, Girl," she tells it, "it would certainly be easier for me if you can ride this horse without my aid, so let's put you back on Handsome and see how you do once he starts moving. I hope I can find your owner soon, because if I have to call you some non-name like 'Girl' or 'Cat' for very long, I think I'll go a little crazy." From its perch back on Handsome's hindquarters, the cat simply meows and its green eyes regard Mery with a knowing expression.

On the ride back toward the wharf, she is content to simply listen to Dame Michelle tell her story, which Mery attends to closely. Still not entirely comfortable trusting the woman, she tries to tell if Dame Michelle is lying about anything. 'If she's telling the truth, she's not who I thought she was,' she muses to herself. 'If she's telling the truth, I'd like to talk to her a little at some point, clarify a few things.'

When Coltan and Dame Michelle spot the three ghostly figures, Mery immediately recognizes the armor that the figures are wearing as being from a bygone era. However, before she even has time to think what that might mean, she recognizes the third figure and gasps, "That's Lord Loren Soth - he was alive at the time of the Cataclysm! In fact, he was given a mission to stop the Cataclysm, and he failed!" She then sees a lizard slay one of the villagers and in her horror and outrage, all further thoughts of the ghostly figure flee her mind.

The first group Mery sees includes an older man in his 40s and four younger men ranging in age between about 16-21 who seem to be wandering the streets looking for stragglers. Mery walks up to the man and says, "We're the last group and we haven't seen any villagers heading to evacuate yet. Why don't you let us finish up with the stragglers and you take your group to the boats? Thank you for your service and bravery." The younger men all stand a little taller at the praise and the older man nods his thanks, gesturing for the younger ones to follow him. (Check 1 - Persuasion - Success!)

No sooner has she got the crew of men heading toward the wharf when she sees a frazzled-looking mother struggling with...how many children was that? Quickly counting heads, Mery finds six children ranging in age between about 13 and 3. The oldest child, a girl, is carrying the littlest one, the mother is carrying twin girls of about 6, both of whom are bawling their heads off, and two boys of about 8 and 10 are running around without seeming to be aware of how dangerous things are getting. "Looks like you could use a little help," Mery says to the mother. "I'm thinking a story might get their attention and help keep them calm, and I know a good one."

"Oh please!" begs the woman. "My husband is already at the wharf with our rowboat. But between the twins crying and the boys running all over, I'm having trouble getting us there."

Mery dismounts and asks the two boys if they would like to ride her warhorse. They enthusiastically reply yes, and she helps them both to mount. The younger of the two, who is sitting behind his brother atop Handsome, spies the cat and reaches back to grab its tail, but Mery quickly snatches the cat from the horse and tells the boy, "Tails are not for pulling. Since you can't keep your hands to yourself, I'll have to carry her. Now, would all of you like to hear a story?"

The kids agree to the story, and Mery begins telling them about Fodio the ferret, who belonged to King Fremble of Taol and saved the kingdom by ripping the toupee off the head of a visiting envoy, who wasn't the real envoy but rather an imposter who was working for one of Taol's enemies that was seeking enough intelligence to stage an invasion of the kingdom. She has to explain what an envoy, a toupee, and a ferret are, but the story does serve to hold their attention, and earns a good laugh from all but the youngest child.

"Did that really happen?" asks the oldest boy with a hint of skepticism in his voice.

"No one knows for certain," replies Mery with an air of mystery, "because Taol doesn't exist as a nation anymore, but the story is recorded in the Great Library in Palanthas as part of the history of Taol, so most people believe it has to be at least partially true."

Further discussions are precluded by the arrival of the man and boys Mery had just spoken to, who had been sent back by the husband to find his wife and children and escort them safely to the wharf. Mery waves as they all head on their way. (Check 2 - History - Success!)

Seeing a group of lizards working together, Mery wishes for a spell that affects multiple enemies. But since she doesn't have anything like that and her use of music to calm the young cat is still fresh in her mind, she decides to try an experiment - could music calm these lizards the same way it did the cat? She begins by singing a lullaby, but the lizards don't even look up from their tasks. She tries switching to the same song on her pan flute, but that doesn't get their attention, either. She finally decides that with all of the noise and chaos from the evacuation, the frightened villagers, and the burning buildings, the lizards simply cannot hear the music. (Check 3 - Performance - failure without complication)

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Mount Action: Walk (??) toward wharf

Mount Movement:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (3 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Heat Metal

Until the spell ends (up to 1 minute), you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage (1d8 fire damage for each level the spell is cast at, minimum 2nd level) again.

Ammunition:

17 arrows in quiver, 1 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 2nd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bard spells available for spontaneous casting: 

• Cantrips (2/2 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery
  • 1st level (4/4 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds, unseen servant
  • 2nd (2/2 slots): invisibility, heat metal

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration, recovered after a long rest
  • Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)
  • Bardic College = College of Lore. Gain expertise in 2 skills you already have proficiency in, and proficiency in 3 new skills. (Choosing Persuasion and Deception for Expertise, adding Nature, Stealth, and Religion for Proficiency.)

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)
Name
History check 1 - DC 16
1d20+4 15
History check 2 (Lord Soth) - DC 20
1d20+4 7
Skill check 1 - persuasion - DC 12
1d20+7 11
Skill check 2 - History - DC 12
1d20+4 12
Skill check 3 - Performance (vocal + pan flute) - DC 12
1d20+5 2
History check 2 (Lord Soth) adv - DC 20
1d20+4 10
Insight Check Ser Michelle - is she being truthful?
1d20+1 12

token_1.png.ba18d35c074c2d2a05b1e13a8e573631.pngDecimus - Initiate of High Sorcery | Bladesinger Wizard | Human

AC: 13 [+5 Shield]  | HP: 7/21 | Speed: 40 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 15
STR: Score: -1
Athletics: -1
| DEXScore: +3
Acrobatics: +3
Stealth: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
:
 16 | CONScore: 214 | INTScore: +3
Arcana: +5
History: +5
Investigation: +5
Nature: +3
Religion: +5
:
 16 | WISScore: 0

Animal Handling: 0
Insight: +2
Medicine: 0
Perception: +2
Survival: 0
:
 10 | CHAScore: -1

Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Performance: -1
Persuasion: -1
:
Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Primordial

FeatsWar CasterPrerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting Spells in the midst of Combat, learning Techniques that grant you the following benefits:
You have advantage on Constitution Saving Throws that you make to maintain your Concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic Components of Spells even when you have Weapons or a Shield in one or both hands.
When a Hostile creature’s Movement provokes an opportunity Attack from you, you can use your Reaction to Cast a Spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity Attack. The spell must have a Casting Time of 1 Action and must target only that creature.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
Arcane RecoverYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
BladesongYou can invoke an elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus. You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time (no action required). While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits: You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

| ActionsRapierATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword)

Bladesinging Rapier StrikeATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword) 

| SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self
Target: Self
Components: V S
Duration: 1 round
Description:You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Booming BladeBooming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self (5ft radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: 1 round
Description:You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).

Green Flame Blade1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, and you can cause green fire to leap from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target on a hit, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 2d8) and 17th level (3d8 and 3d8).

1st-Level <2/4>
Expeditious Retreat1st Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: This spell allows you to move at an incredible pace. When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the Dash action.

Magic Missile1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120ft
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Tensors Floating Disk1st Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 30 Feet
Target: An unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (A drop of mercury)
Duration: 1 Hour
Classes: Wizard
Description: This spell creates a circular, horizontal plane of force, 3 feet in diameter and 1 inch thick, that floats 3 feet above the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range. The disk remains for the duration, and can hold up to 500 pounds. If more weight is placed on it, the spell ends, and everything on the disk falls to the ground. The disk is immobile while you are within 20 feet of it. If you move more than 20 feet away from it, the disk follows you so that it remains within 20 feet of you. It can move across uneven terrain, up or down stairs, slopes and the like, but it can’t cross an elevation change of 10 feet or more. For example, the disk can’t move across a 10-foot-deep pit, nor could it leave such a pit if it was created at the bottom. If you move more than 100 feet from the disk (typically because it can’t move around an obstacle to follow you), the spell ends.

Tash's Hideous Laughter1st Level Enchantment
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (Tiny tarts and a feather that is waved in the air)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Classes: Bard, Wizard
Description: A creature of your choice that you can see within range perceives everything as hilariously funny and falls into fits of laughter if this spell affects it. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone, becoming incapacitated and unable to stand up for the duration. A creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected. At the end of each of its turns, and each time it takes damage, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. The target has advantage on the saving throw if it’s triggered by damage. On a success, the spell ends.

Identify1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Casting Time: 1 Minute
Range: Touch
Target: One object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell
Components: V S M (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Wizard
Description: You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.

Detect Magic1st Level Divination
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any. The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Absorb Elements1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take when you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Components: S
Classes: Artificer, Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next melee attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type, and the spell ends. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Charm Person1st Level Enchantment
Target: A humanoid you can see within range
Classes: Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Comprehend Languages1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Components: V S M (A pinch of soot and salt)
Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text. This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]
Shield1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Duration: 1 Round
Description: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]
2nd-Level <2/2>
Misty Step2nd Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Components: V
Description: Briefly surrounded by silvery mist, you teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see.

Shadow Blade2nd Level Illusion
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Components: V, S
Duration: ConcentrationUp to 1 minute/em>
Description: You weave together threads of shadow to create a sword of solidified gloom in your hand. This magic sword lasts until the spell ends. It counts as a simple melee weapon with which you are proficient. It deals 2d8 psychic damage on a hit and has the finesse, light, and thrown properties (range 20/60). In addition, when you use the sword to attack a target that is in dim light or darkness, you make the attack roll with advantage.
If you drop the weapon or throw it, it dissipates at the end of the turn. Thereafter, while the spell persists, you can use a bonus action to cause the sword to reappear in your hand.
At Higher Levels When you cast this spell using a 3rd- or 4th-level spell slot, the damage increases to 3d8. When you cast it using a 5th- or 6th-level spell slot, the damage increases to 4d8. When you cast it using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the damage increases to 5d8.

With his mind elsewhere, Decimus does not realize he is under attack until the sound of metal striking wood near him shocks him to attention, but even before his mind can catch up to the situation and raise his shield, the second dagger embeds itself into his back, sending him forward a step, onto one knee as he writhes in pain, feeling the effects of the poison coating the dagger, seeping into his skin, his muscles tightening in pain. When Merituuli rushes to help, he cannot even speak to warn him away before the poor Sea Elf suffers from the residual poison around his wound. Tugging the dagger from his wound, he pulls his sari up, tightening it around the wound in a makeshift tourniquet. Grunting, he helps Merituuli to his feet as he stands back to his full height.

"My apologies, my inattentiveness lead to this, it will not happen again..."

His face darkens under his sakkat, his amber eye looking to the gliding creatures above them with rare malice, but the screams of the innocent townsfolk heighten his pain, the guilt pressing down upon him more painfully than any wound could do. Then again, thinking of the current wound, metaphorical pain was likely preferable to the burning sensation of the bloodied injury, and the pain of the poison was remarkable. Given what he had seen of the Draconic creatures so far, he wracked his brain for any inkling of what the poison could be that he and Meri had been infected with [Roll Nature], though he needed to think back considerably, it had been a long time since he had studied Takhisis and her legions.

"Meri, we should get somewhere safe while we figure out how bad this poison is... We may need to find Hunni too..."

Looking around the Wharf, a series of large crates and barrels are stacked up, and the path around it seems to be relatively clear, a quieter place within all the madness that they could assess their injuries, and getting there between the crates would grant them some protection from facing the Draconic creatures unprepared or unawares [Roll Stealth]. Pointing to the hiding place, he begins to hobble over there, wincing as his movements send waves of pain through his body from the epicenter of the wound. As he moves as swiftly as possible, his eye works furiously to find his small companion in the crowd, doing his best to detect any sorts of magical or reptilian signs of the diminutive Warlock [Roll investigation]. Through the crowd, he sees her making some small children cry, and for a moment he is perplexed, but given what he knows of her, it could only have been an accident. The sweet Gully Dwarf would never hurt the feelings of anyone intentionally. Through gritted teeth, he speaks to his companion.

"Can you get Kalasääski to guide Hunni to us?"

spacer.png

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Edited by tyrtaeus (see edit history)
Name
Investigation
1d20+5 10
Stealth
1d20+3 19
Nature
1d20+3 14

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Level 3 Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 19 (Splint armor +2 Shield) | HP: 31/31 (3d8+9+3) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: Speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

Coltan raises an eyebrow at how chummy Artanis, Modri, and Mery appeared with the prisoner. Then, he sees the crate of plate armor for a knight and understands the errand Becklin had for Artanis.

Seeing the ethereal figures on the bluff, the Apprentice accepts that Reorx and the other gods are with them. They just had to survive the gamble with their lives. Reorx the gambler would not have it any other way.

Approaching the wharf, the smith keeps a keen eye for survivors and windows of safety through the flames of the town to the boats. He calls out to villagers and his companions herding them safely to retreat.

A timber from a burning building gives way and lands next to Handsome. In addition to the plume of fire and smoke, the area becomes very crowded for the two horses. Their eyes growing wild. With his hammer dangling from his wrist, the smith quickly calms them with a soothing voice and firm hand.

Then, the dwarf puts his shield against the flaming timber and pushes it out of their way.

OOC

Action: 1. Perception, 2. Animal Handling (critical success) and 3. Athletics = 4 successes

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 3 magic, fire damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 3 magic, fire damage.

Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 2 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 2 bludgeoning damage.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 3/4 | 2nd 0/2

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

1st level spells prepared

• Identify (V,S,M) Ritual. You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.
  • Searing Smite (V). The next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during the spell's duration, your weapon flares with white-hot intensity, and the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target and causes the target to ignite in flames. At the start of each of its turns until the spell ends, the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the spell ends. If the target or a creature within 5 feet of it uses an action to put out the flames, or if some other effect douses the flames (such as the target being submerged in water), the spell ends.
  1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

2nd-Level Spells Prepared

• Heat Metal (V,S,M) Concentration. Choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, that you can see within range. You cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage when you cast the spell. Until the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again. If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes the damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn't drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the start of your next turn.
  • Magic Weapon (V,S) Concentration. You touch a nonmagical weapon. Until the spell ends, that weapon becomes a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls.
  • 6. Spiritual Weapon (V,S) Bonus. When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon. On a hit, the target takes force damage equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.

Channel Divinity: 1/1 short rest

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Artisan's Blessing. You conduct an hour-long ritual that crafts a nonmagical item that must include some metal: a simple or martial weapon, a suit of armor, ten pieces of ammunition, a set of tools, or another metal object (see chapter 5, "Equipment," in the Player's Handbook for examples of these items). The creation is completed at the end of the hour, coalescing in an unoccupied space of your choice on a surface within 5 feet of you.  The thing you create can be something that is worth no more than 100 gp. As part of this ritual, you must lay out metal, which can include coins, with a value equal to the creation. The metal irretrievably coalesces and transforms into the creation at the ritual's end, magically forming even nonmetal parts of the creation. The ritual can create a duplicate of a nonmagical item that contains metal, such as a key, if you possess the original during the ritual.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)
Name
History 1
1d20 5
History 2
1d20 11
Perception
1d20+5 18
Animal Handling
1d20+5 20
Athletics
1d20+5 7
Athletics (advantage from Crit)
1d20+5 12

Human Knight of Solamnia 

Str: 17 (+3) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 16 (+3)

Artanis nods at the expected contents of the box - Darrett so far had proven nothing but helpful, eager and honourable. He would be another fine addition to the Order.

Between them they easily get the box downstairs, to meet Mery and Handsome. He leaves Modri and Lt. Folketh with the box and jumps astride Tiergan, matching pace with a gentle walk. Whilst he lends one ear to the story, he keeps eyes on the town. They've already seen more than one ambush. "I suppose that explains why you've fought with honour, but I'm not sure the rest of the evil gods army follow your code...". They meet a grim looking Coltan at the bottom, and catches up on the news of the invasion already at their doors. "Jeyev was inside the tower, it seems the Ironcalds had more than one traitor in their midst. He got away," he shares curtly with a deep frown, before tracking Coltan's eyes up to the ridge and realising why the smith had seemed distracted to the news. "Ancient Knights of Solamnia!" he exclaims, unconsciously clasping his hand across his chest in salute. His boyish looks shine through at the sight of his heroes, the inspiration for his own journey. He frowns slightly as Mery relates the story of Lord Soth, his enthusiasm dampened at the memory of the mans failure, and the stain upon the Knighthood.

Shortly after, his gaze spots several of the later soldiers gliding into the town, and the sounds of panic reach his ears. He spurs Tiergan forward, and as they round the corner he catches sight of the reason for the towns panic - a monster stands there bedecked in legion armour. Tiergan rears at Artanis command, and the knight unhooks his lance, levelling it at the draconian. [Roll Intimidation]. The sunlight catches on his armour and his tabard flutters in a sudden breeze, as if for a moment, the ancient order upon the clifftop embodies Ser Brightblade. Catching sight of the knight and warhorse about to barrel down upon it - a spectral image made manifest - the Kapak soldier turns and feels, looking for softer targets. With the cries ahead still pulling them to the wharf, Artanis doesn't give chase. "This is the true face of Takhisis, Ser Michelle. The dragon queen does not care for honour, only conquest." Artanis replies coldly as they continue on.

He thanks Coltan as the smith calms the horses, and clears their way through the burning building. As they close upon the wharf, Artanis unhooks his horn and blows a loud, pure note to draw the attention of the attention of the crowd. [Roll Musical Instrument - Horn]. Again it seems almost as if he's channelling the ancients themselves, the Knights of Solamnia from the tales of yore. The rich sound cuts through the panic, drawing the crowds attention to the knight framed against the chaos, a symbol of hope against the darkness.

Playing on his advantage Artanis calls out to the crowd, urging the panicked masses into a semblance of order, exhorting them to help their fellow townsfolk rather than rush for the boats. Reminding them they are better than the selfish forces of evil.

OOC

Action: Intimidation (Critical Success); Horn (Critical Success); Persuasion (Success). 5 successes total.

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d8 + 5) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

RDA Javelin (range, thrown) [10]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage, 1d4 fire damage.

Lance (special). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (1d12 + 5) piercing damage, 1d4 Fire damage.

Battlefield Presence.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark

Urgent Orders  

Helpful Word

Class Features:

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

Name
History (DC16)
1d20-1 2
Intimidation (DC12)
1d20+5 20
Horn (DC12)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+5 20,9
Persuasion (DC12)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+7 11,8

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 16 (+1Dex + 3Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 41/44 (3d12+9+6+3) | Speed: 25'
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

Hit Die: 2/3d12 | Rages: 1/3 | Magic Awareness: 1/2

Modri listens intently to Ser Michelle as she shares her story. It all seems to add up, why someone like her would end up with an army like that. He could see himself being caught and asked to join or die. Of course, in his case he knows what his answer would be. "Modri is just fine, and that's quite the tale. Hopefully we can make it longer, he?" He gives a half smirk, considering what feats of strength she might accomplish if given the chance, if given the time.

"As for me, mine's a simpler tale. Grew up in the wastes north of here, a father and mother who lived off the land. Made nearly everything themselves. Most folk would call that uncomfortable... hot summers, cold winters, take most the day just to hunt, and fix things, cook, and clean. Taught me to be my own man. Much as I have a soft spot for the people of Vogler, can't say their comfort's made them ready for a war."

The others might catch a bit of an edge to his voice. There is some judgement there, of his thoughts on the trappings of civlization.

"I've fought my share of beasties and ne'er-do-wells who call the area home too. When I set off on my own I probably managed to get bitten, scratched, and poked by every poisonous critter and plant out there. Not to mentioned I've slipped on my fair share of stones and rocks. Each made me stronger, each made me tougher. Things changed when I got some friendly advice to try out a rare flower from a cactus plant that only grows on steep cliffs. Well, had quite the vision from that one, that's where these came from." He gestures to a few of his tattoos. "Values in Dwarvish, insults in Elvish, all connected by old Primordial concepts... heh, think it finally paid off with a touch of the old magic. Er... sorry about your horse. Oh, and don't get too hard on yourself for the pride and all that. You just got unlucky. See... we don't actually hail from Vogler. An old adventurer we all know just passed, name of Ispin Greenshield. We all came from different parts to bid him farewell, were all a day or two from leaving again. Otherwise, the whole mercenary betrayal, the demands, bet you it all would've worked out just fine. Speaking bluntly, I think you're luckier for being unlucky. I think your honor looks better on you fighting off that jackass trying to take you back then making declarations against a small town." Modri looks further towards the wharf at the trouble ahead. "In fact, think you'd be right breathtaking if you help us out here."

As they make their way down, Modri immediately spots a wagon that's been tipped over and is blocking a part of the street, making it awkward to get around. Grabbing one of his axes he makes quick work taking a few swipes to break off the wheels jutting out, using his shoulder to shove it a few more feet to the side, which makes a difference.

To the side a large, angry goat is hopping up and down and butting into people, the Dwarf managing to just calm the animal with a quick, "Shut up, goat!" Likely it's just the stern voice that does the trick, more than the actual words.

However, he's less successful with people. "Oy! Duck! Run low! Serpentine you fools!" However, the people he's yelling at aren't familiar with the term 'serpentine', nor can they hear him clearly through all the chaos, and if anything are doing the opposite moving slower, upright, and in a straight line...

OOC

Actions:

Athletics to push things out of the way. Success!

Animal Handling to calm an angry goat down. Success!

Survival to help yell at people to watch out. Failure with a complication (people confused)

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)
Name
Athletics Check
1d20+5 19
Animal Handling Check
1d20+3 9
Survival Check
1d20+3 2

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 26/26 (hd 3d8) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 15 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 17 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

Hunni keeps on trying to get people to safety. "Get in the boats, if you want to live!" she says, unsure how this whole diplomacy thing is supposed to work. (Charisma Persuasion) (Success)

Somehow, it actually seems to work. So, she tries again, a bit harder. "Get in the boats, if you want to live!" she threatens, menacingly. (Charisma Intimidation) (Critical Success - 2 successes!)

As the people move even faster, she gets more and more excited by her awesome powers. Deciding to channel Mery, she starts singing, "Row, row, row the boats, like crazy down the stream!" (Charisma - Perform) (Success)

Unsurprisingly, due to her enormous appeal and great way with people, the crowd moves even faster.

OOC

Action: Skill Challenge

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 5 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10 + cha) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 13, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Improved Pact Weapon varies, usually whip (+1 to hit, damage, spell focus)

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 4) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

Staff of the Python (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d6 +3) bludgeoning damage.
Versatile: (1d8 +3) bludgeoning damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Normally Staff of the Python, but also always Pact Weapon.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  2 / 2, cast at 2nd level

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 2nd level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 13.  Spell Attack Modifier +5.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite, Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Unseen Servant, Blur
  • Invocations:  Improved Pact Weapon, Agonizing Blast

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)
Name
Charisma (Persuasion)
1d20+3 17
Charisma (Intimidation)
1d20+3 20
Charisma (Performance)
repeat(1d20+3,2) 9,7

Giant Constrictor Snake

Huge Beast, UnalignedGiant Constrictor Snake

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 60 (8d12+8)
Speed 30 ft., swim 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
19 (+4) 14 (+2) 12 (+1) 1 (–5) 10 (+0) 3 (–4)

Skills Perception +2
Senses blindsight 10 ft., passive Perception 12
Languages
Challenge 2 (450 XP)     Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) piercing damage.

Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 16). Until this grapple ends, the creature is restrained, and the snake can’t constrict another target.

Environment: Desert, Forest, Swamp, Underdark, Underwater
Source: MM, page 324. Also found in ToA; GoS; DIP; SLW; EGW; WBtW. Available in the SRD. 

The Snake of the Staff continues along its merry way, doing its merry thing. As it sees a surge of people getting too close to the edge, about to fall off, in their haste to get on the boats, it winds its long, sinuous body around to work as a sort of barrier, holding people back. (Dexterity - Acrobatics) (Success)

It works, and at the last minute several children and adults are stopped from falling; it probably doesn't hurt that they spend more time pulling away from the giant scary Snake of the Staff than they do actually pushing against its makeshift barrier. The Snake of the Staff takes some encouragement from this, and hisses 'encouragingly' at the people to speed them along (Strength - Intimidation) (Success)

The people move even quicker! Success! The team of Hunni and Hunni's Giant Constrictor Snake can't lose!

Of course, flying soldiers are coming closer every second. The snake takes a chance, and swims out to push more boats closer to the docks, and pushing full boats away. (Strength - Athletics) (Super Fail - Under 6)

This couldn't go more wrong, as the Snake has a hard time seeing which boats are full and which are empty, and pushes boats away while people are trying to get onto them. It even gets Hunni's Giant Constrictor Snake yelled at by her, and by a number of other people.

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)
Name
Dexterity (Acrobatics)
1d20+2 12
Strength (Intimidate)
1d20+4 16
Strength (Athletics)
1d20+4 1

spacer.pngLieutenant Dame Michelle Folketh

The Lieutenant listened attentively to Modri's story as they manhandled the crate through the streets towards the wharf. It's pretty apparent that the town is evacuating, and that this had been planned prior to her army's arrival. Clearly her captors had anticipated this event. She watched as the draconian soldiers tore through the town, catching sight of innocent villagers cut down, and wondered why she hadn't seen the same thing. Had she been deliberately blind to the army's nature? It was lear what Modri and Ser Artanis thought of her choices, but they had not been the ones at figurative sword point. Easy to make the noble choices when your life's not actually on the line. Besides, til this point the army had been good to her, given her structure. Whilst it had taken her father's death to recognise her talent, it had been recognised. But they were right, there was no honour in what was happening here. Perhaps this was a chance at redemption. She shook the thought from her head - just because they had spared her now didn't mean she could assume to be offered that chance.

As the crowds confusion grew with Modri's misunderstood command she sharpened her eyes behind them, knowing any decent soldiers would be seeking to take advantage of the moment. [Roll Perception]. It'd difficult to see through the crowd, but she spots a soldier down a nearby alley levelling a javelin at one of the elderly villagers who'd slowed, standing upright to watch Modri as he tried to figure out what the dwarf meant. "Look out!" she shouts, shoving him sideways. [Roll Athletics]. She manages to flatten him in time for the javelin to fly wide, skittering off the cobbles.

This was not right. Honourbound to Takhisis or not, these were not combatants. She tried to remember appropriate Red Army doctrine for breaching and clearing a city. [Roll History]. She shares the standard tactics to expect with the rest of the group, warning them of where the army would likely be coming from. It's not unhelpful, but unfortunately doesn't really change what they're doing. Knowing how the enemy approaches doesn't make up for the overwhelming difference in numbers and the fact that the group are facilitating a retreat and evacuation of civilians, not a tactical withdrawal of troops designed to bleed enemy numbers.

They reach the wharf shortly after, Michelle still no closer to figuring out her next moves with the sudden upheaval of her values. Was she even worthy of redemption?

OOC

Action: Perception (Success); Athletics (Success); History (Uncomplicated Fail). Two Successes total.

Name
Perception (DC12)
keep(2d20,lowest,1)+4 14,20
Athletics (DC12)
1d20+5 14
History (DC12)
1d20+1 8

Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 16 (+5)

Challenges for the time being complete, Mery listens with a great deal of interest as Modri begins sharing his story, but chooses not to interrupt the exchange. 'Maybe I can talk with him about some of that later.'

However, it's the look of near hero-worship on Ser Artanis' face at the appearance of the three ghostly figures followed by his near frown at the very little bit of information she shared about Lord Soth that she feels a need to respond to. While she's not entirely sure what the young knight is thinking, she's worried she can guess. "Ser Artanis, I'm not sure what you're thinking, but I think you should be aware that Lord Soth is an infamous figure, not only within the Knights of Solamnia, but within Solamnian and Krynnish history as well. It is commonly accepted that the Cataclysm happened as a direct result of Kingpriest Beldinas of Istar's lust to ascend to godhood and crush out anyone who disagreed with his viewpoints, but Lord Soth was kicked out of the Knighthood due to acting unjustly toward his first wife before he was given the mission to stop the Cataclysm. He only got that mission because his second wife prayed to the gods that he be given the opportunity to redeem himself and Mishakal responded by giving him the mission." There's so much more Mery wants to say, but determinedly, she bites her tongue. There are things she needs to figure out for herself first.

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Mount Action:

Mount Movement:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Heat Metal

Until the spell ends (up to 1 minute), you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage (1d8 fire damage for each level the spell is cast at, minimum 2nd level) again.

Ammunition:

17 arrows in quiver, 1 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 2nd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bard spells available for spontaneous casting: 

• 1st level (4/4 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds, unseen servant

Class Features:

• Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)
  • Bardic College = College of Lore. Gain expertise in 2 skills you already have proficiency in, and proficiency in 3 new skills. (Choosing Persuasion and Deception for Expertise, adding Nature, Stealth, and Religion for Proficiency.)

OOC

Date

On This Magetag, the 23rd Day of Brookgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Tuesday, March 23, 351 AC)

The 3rd Day of the Campaign - Late Evening

Merituuli has a miserable time trying to study Decimus’s stab wound—so badly, in fact, that he takes poison damage from it! Kalasääski helps him watch for more bad guys—something that the pair are very good at! He wonders how much wind will be in Bakaris’s sails, but can’t figure it out.

Decimus is able to glean from his understanding of poisons that this one is an ‘injury poison’—applied to weapons, ammunition, trap components, and other objects that deal piercing or slashing damage and remains potent until delivered through a wound or washed off. A creature that takes piercing or slashing damage from an object coated with the poison is exposed to its effects. However, this one seems to require at least two doses in quick succession as he merely took damage and looks worse for wear, but the poison’s effects might be that failing a constitution saving throw would result in suffering the poisoned condition until the end of his next turn, and that he’d also be paralyzed for that duration!

Decimus is very sneaky, almost preternaturally so! He looks for Hunni in the crowd.

Hunni, for her part is able to convince and cajole the crowd with ease, and just manages to sing a passable tune.

Hunni’s Giant Constrictor Snake is surprisingly acrobatic, and of course, quite intimidating, but somehow fails to be as athletic as it normally could be.

Mery is able to tell who the figures on the bluffs are, but can’t remember any particular details beyond the widely known legends of Lord Soth.

When she tries to suss out Ser Michelle’s truthfulness, what insight she can glean gives her the impression that the woman isn’t lying, and doesn’t seem to be trying to hide anything. Especially at the Lieutenant’s look of horror at the village being burned by the kapak draconians. She genuinely seems to believe that they were just to quarter there and that this targeted destruction and death has left her speechless.

Using persuasion effectively, she helps some men walk a little taller despite their demeaning circumstances. She tells some children a captivating story and gets them in order, too. Her attempt to lull some lethal lizards to sleep with a lullaby lacks success—not miserably—but it fails nonetheless.

Coltan’s keep perception is only outmatched by his deft animal handling. His efficient use of strength helps clear the path!

“I suppose that explains why you’ve fought with honour, but I’m not sure the rest of the evil gods army follow your code…” Ser Artanis responds to the lieutenant’s excitement about the manifestation of Takhisis.

“But . . . but the Gods! They’re back!” she says, understanding what he says, but wanting to hold onto something of the past several years. “You have your ‘Aprentice of Reorx’ and we have our ‘Speakers’ as well . . .”

It’s later, after she sees the kapak flee with a mere flex of Ser Artanis’s lance and when she sees the horrors her own side is inflicting upon the hapless innocents that Ser Michelle accepts that until now, literally any god or goddess manifest had been enough to take her in—but now, now, a god that does not wreak havoc and destruction and conquest is one to follow, not an evil goddess like Takhisis—a goddess into whose faith she hadn’t even been born!

Ser Artanis captures and rallies the panicking crowd with his horn, and gives an inspiring speech!

Ser Michelle listens to Modri’s tale and finds a kindred spirit in his hardy tough upbringing—hers was no picnic, either, training as a knight under her father. She blushes as his praise of her honor hits home—and in a little shame at having arrogantly delivered her army’s demands.

Modri is able to use his strength to move some tipped wagons. Then he humorously gets a goat to get out of the way and stop butting into people. Unfortunately he’s not as successful with the crowd.

Ser Michelle even helps out where she can, saving Modri from a javelin throw with a keen eye and a much stronger shove than he might have expected! In the disorder, though, she can’t think of any particular tactics recommended by her army in this situation—maybe she’s just used to a proper battlefield.

The Heroes Meet Up!

Coltan, Decimus, Derrett, Hunni, Merituuli,
Mery, Modri, Mayor Raven, Ser Artanis, and Ser Michelle

Whilst you all worked, some of you may have seen great plumes of flame igniting entire buildings in the village! They got closer and closer.

With the Thornwall group’s help, despite the rampant destruction and burning of the village, the last of the villagers is herded to the wharf safely with no further deaths.

Invasion Encounter

An alchemist in the village passes you by on his way to the boats. You notice him move off to the side, letting others get on the boats instead of him. The crowd thins as the last stragglers are boarded and when you have time for a breath—and just as the Thornwall group approaches—he opens his bag and pulls out seven vials, each with a red liquid that glimmers when he shakes them up.

“Here!” he says, handing them to each of you. “I won’t be needing these, now that I can get on a boat out of here—thanks to you all, the Heroes of High Hill and the Saviors of Vogler. Drink that and some of your injuries will disappear. Normally I’d sell these at 50 gold a piece, but my shop, just down that street, is now a flaming cinder pile and I bet when we reach Kalaman, I won’t have a place to brew or customers for a time. Take care and Reorx protect you all!”

With that, he steps down, off the dock, onto one of the remaining keel boats as it’s rowed away.

The screams of last of villagers, still evacuating onto boats, ring through the smoke of burning buildings. Among the screams rises an unbelievable word: “Dragon!”

Then it comes into view. Pitching this way and that, its scales clanking like steel plates, a black beast draws near the wharf, flanked by reptilian invaders. Flames crackle from the beast’s gaping maw.

Boilerdrak

Escape from Vogler

This battle takes place in front of Vogler’s wharf, depicted on the map below.

On the first round of battle, the large, draconic beast belches a huge gout of flame into the Wharfinger’s Office—the structure at the north of the map. The building rapidly catches fire.

A blinded bozak draconian with 1 hit point staggers from the Fray and across the battlefield. It doesn’t attack, but it explodes in its Death Throes if killed. The draconian appears in an unoccupied space adjacent to the Fray nearest a random character (Mery).

Characters who succeed on a DC 12 Wisdom (Perception) check or who come within 5 feet of the beast recognize that . . .

. . . it isn’t a dragon, but a mechanical device.

spacer.png

Vogler Battlefield Features

The battlefield includes the following features:

• Burning Building. The Wharfinger’s Office is on fire. A creature that enters the burning structure for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there must succeed on a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or take 5 (1d10) fire damage.
  • Fray. The 15-foot-wide area marked by the design at the edge of the map represents draconians facing off against Vogler’s remaining defenders. This area and the village beyond the map are difficult terrain. A creature that enters the Fray for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there must succeed on a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw or take 7 (2d6) slashing damage from opportunistic foes. The Fray can’t be damaged and remains until the battle ends.
  • Battlefield Conditions (perception). It’s late evening and there is a lot of smoke everywhere, wafting towards the wharf. However, there are a lot of fires providing quite a bit of light. The sounds of screaming, terrified villagers, the roar of the burning village, the wind whipping up as fires pull air in towards the village from all directions, all create a din that makes communication difficult. The entire battlefield is therefore lightly obscured, meaning that everyone has disadvantage on perception checks that involve hearing, seeing, or smell.
  • Battlefield Conditions (movement and hiding). There is debris everywhere. Furthermore, as it—until now—was a functioning and busy wharf, there are stacked crates and barrels all over the place, as well. Areas that don’t look pretty much clear are difficult terrain. Anywhere you see barrels or boxes, you can hide behind them for half cover (barrels) or three-quarters cover (boxes).

Vogler Battlefield Events

During this encounter, roll on the Vogler Battlefield Events table each round at initiative count 0. Also consider rolling on the table if a character enters the Fray or otherwise tries to leave the battlefield.

d6 Events
1    Two Vogler fishers (guards) come to assist the characters. They appear in unoccupied spaces adjacent to the Fray nearest a random character.
2    A blinded bozak draconian with 1 hit point staggers from the Fray and across the battlefield. It doesn’t attack, but it explodes in its Death Throes if killed. The draconian appears in an unoccupied space adjacent to the Fray nearest a random character.
3–4    A draconian gliding overhead throws a fiery flask at one random player character, who must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or take 3 (1d6) fire damage.
5–6    Villagers on the docks shout their support. A random player character has advantage on their next attack roll.

d10 Random Character
1 Coltan
2 Darrett
3 Decimus
4 Hunni’s Giant Constrictor Snake
5 Hunni
6 Mery
7 Modri
8 Mayor Raven
9 Ser Artanis
10 Ser Michelle

Statblocks
  • Lt. Dame Michelle Folketh.
    • Armor Class 12
    • Hit Points 32/65 (10d8 + 20)
    • Speed 30 ft.
    • STR +3, DEX +2, CON +2, INT +1, WIS +2, CHA +1
    • Saving Throws Dex +4, Wis +4
    • Skills Athletics +5, Perception +4
    • Senses passive Perception 14
    • Draconic Devotion. While the officer can see a Dragon that isn’t hostile to it, the officer has advantage on attack rolls.
    • Assault Orders (Recharge 5–6). The officer shouts orders and targets up to two other creatures within 60 feet of itself. If a target has the Draconic Devotion trait and can hear the officer, the target can use its reaction to make one melee attack.
  • Warhorse.
    • Armor Class 11
    • Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
    • Speed 60 ft.
    • STR +4, DEX +1, CON +1, INT –4, WIS +1, CHA –2
    • Senses passive Perception 11
    • Trampling Charge. If the horse moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a hooves attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the horse can make another attack with its hooves against it as a bonus action.
    • Actions
      • Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage.
  • Cat.
    • Armor Class 12
    • Hit Points 2 (1d4)
    • Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.
    • STR –4, DEX +2, CON +0, INT –4, WIS +1, CHA –2
    • Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4
    • Senses passive Perception 13
    • Keen Smell. The cat has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.
    • Actions
      • Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 slashing damage.
  • Baaz Draconian.
    • Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
    • Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)
    • Speed 30 ft.
    • STR +1, DEX +0, CON +1, INT –1, WIS –1, CHA +0
    • Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
    • Languages Common, Draconic
    • Controlled Fall. When the draconian falls and isn't incapacitated, it subtracts up to 100 feet from the fall when calculating the fall's damage.
    • Death Throes. When the draconian is reduced to 0 hit points, its body turns to stone and releases a petrifying gas. Each creature within 5 feet of the draconian must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw or be restrained as it begins to turn to stone. The restrained creature must repeat the saving throw at the end of its next turn. On a success, the effect ends; otherwise the creature is petrified for 1 minute. After 1 minute, the body of the draconian crumbles to dust.
    • Draconic Devotion. While the draconian can see a Dragon that isn't hostile to it, the draconian has advantage on attack rolls.
  • Bozak Draconian.
    • Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
    • Hit Points 40 (9d8)
    • Speed 30 ft.
    • STR +2, DEX +0, CON +0, INT +0, WIS +0, CHA +2
    • Saving Throws Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4
    • Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
    • Languages Common, Draconic
    • Death Throes. When the draconian is reduced to 0 hit points, its scales and flesh immediately shrivel away, and then its bones explode. Each creature within 10 feet of it must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or take 9 (2d8) force damage.
    • Glide. When the draconian falls and isn't incapacitated, it subtracts up to 100 feet from the fall when calculating the fall's damage, and it can move up to 2 feet horizontally for every 1 foot it descends.

Draconic Beast (for the purposes of combat)

• Boilerdrak
    • Large object
    • Armor Class 15
    • Hit Points 100
    • Damage Immunities poison, psychic
    • This wagon-sized device is designed to look roughly like a dragon. Before it can be used, the boilerdrak must be lit and aimed. It takes 1 action to light the weapon, 1 action to aim it, and 1 action to fire it. When you use your action to fire it, roll a d20. If you roll a 2 or higher, use the Flames action. If you roll a 1, use the Explosion action.
    • Flames. The boilerdrak expels flames in a 60-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw, taking 27 (5d10) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    • Explosion. The boilerdrak explodes in a 30-foot-radius sphere and is destroyed. Each creature in that area must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw, taking 27 (5d10) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Lieutenant Dame Michelle Folketh spacer.png Warhorse

Lieutenant Dame Michelle Folketh,
a. k. a. “Lieutenant”,
“Lieutenant Folketh”,
“Dame Michelle”, or
“Ser Michelle”

Cat Warhorses
“Handsome”
and
“Tiergan”
spacer.png Bozak Draconian ???

Baaz Draconian

Bozak Draconian Boilerdrak
Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)
Name
1d6 2
Random Character
1d10 6

Human Knight of Solamnia 

Artanis thanks the alchemist as he offers the valuable vials to the group, carefully packing his away into one of Tiergan's saddlebags. Even if his shop was mostly cinders Artanis was sure the potions would still have value in Kalaman, and his generosity was true. After he's left, Artanis murmurs to his companions, "I don't feel like much of a saviour with all this," - he sweeps his arm across the burning scene of destruction before them - "but I suppose I do believe what I said about a town being made of it's people. I know the cost of even a fraction of this being destroyed though, and that took years to recover from. Can't imagine what this will take."

He's shook from his gloom by the cry and crash of the dragon. "By Takhisis Blood!" he exclaims reflexively, "Literally!" as he gazes through the haze of the evening.

The beast is flanked by several of the more humanoid monsters, and it is one of these that Artanis levels his lance at as he urges Tiergan through the fire and smoke, the mighty stallion huffing as its muscles ripple to carry it over the debris, landing near the enemy soldiers. He levels the lance tip at the draconian, but it skitters off the creatures armour.

Artanis wheels Tiergan around for another run, making sure the horse keeps its wits about it.

OOC

Action: Lance Attack Base Draconian B-2,

Bonus Action: 

Movement (Tiergan): (Top left corner reference) I4 > H4 (5') > G3 (10') > F2 (10') > D0 (15') running long jump over barrel | D0>E4

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Mount Action: Dodge

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Battlefield Presence.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark

Urgent Orders  

Helpful Word

Class Features:

Name
Perception (DC12)
keep(2d20,lowest,1)+1 8,13
Lance Attack
1d20+5 6

Mery accepts the vial from the alchemist and gives the man a brief smile as she slips it into her backpack. "Thank you, sir. I'm sure these will be quite useful."

Seeing the draconian appear next to her, she signals Handsome forward about 15 feet (F/G-2/3) and, signaling the warhorse to dodge, unshoulders her shortbow. She peers in the direction of the dragon, but in all the smoke, can't make out anything, even with her Darkvision.

Nocking an arrow, she draws, takes a moment to aim at the dragon, and looses. However, a puff of smoke blows across her face as she does so, causing her to cough and miss the shot.

The cat, from its perch atop Handsome's hindquarters, lets out a questioning, "Mrow?"

"No, I didn't hit it," Mery tells the creature. "And I'm not sure you're going to be all that safe back there. I don't want to have to tell your owner you died because I didn't protect you. Now, unless you want me to stuff you in my saddlebags, go hide! "

This seems to irritate the cat, as it turns its ears back and lets out a low-pitched "Meow", stubbornly refusing to budge an inch.

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Object Interaction: Unshoulder shortbow

Mount Action: Dodge

Mount Movement: Move to F/G-2-3

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

Heat Metal

Ammunition:

19 arrows in quiver, 0 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Class Features:

OOC

Name
Perception (DC 12) disadv
keep(2d20,lowest)+1 2,12
Attack with shortbow vs Boilerdrak (AC 15)
1d20+4 7
Animal Handling vs cat
1d20+1 2