Chapter 01e: When Home Burns (Evacuation!)

Kamishiro_Rin

Date

On This Magetag, the 23rd Day of Brookgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Tuesday, March 23, 351 AC)

The 3rd Day of the Campaign - Early Afternoon

Thornwall Keep

When Modri suggests putting her on a boat, the Lieutenant quirks an eyebrow at his obvious vagueness—he’s trying to hide something—but she surmises that asking will be a waste of time.

Getting back to the village was a simple matter of backtracking north—the way Ser Michelle and her Dragon Army Soldiers had come from—a hundred yards or so, where the road rose up and leveled off with the bluffs and then walking back south along the Road to High Hill, through the River Gate, and over to Thornwall Keep.

“That paranoid mind of yours must have hallucinated something for you not to give me back my keepsake,” she casually says to Mery the half-elf mounts Handsome, just before she rides off ahead of them. “Don’t think I didn’t notice you just tearing it apart. For seven years I’ve kept it spotless and without tears! Well, I suppose I’ll need something to occupy my time in that keep—fixing the stitches should fill much of it. Hopefully some silk thread can be found and supplied.”

Ser Becklin uth Viharin   Ser Becklin greets Mery at the gate. “Is it finished? Are we safe to move the Ironclad Regiment in place?” she asks. “I know Cudgel and Mayor Raven are eager to get them down here and in between us and that Dragon Army as soon as possible! Where are the rest of your companions? Were you injured? No one was killed, I hope! Come! Let us go tell Cudgel and Jeyev so they can get moving, quickly!”

OOC
  • spacer.pngLieutenant Folketh (alternatively: just “Lieutenant”, “Dame Michelle”, or “Ser Michelle”) :: HP 40 :: AC 19 (splint, shield) :: SV +3 / +4 / +2 / +1 / +4 / +1 :: Skills Athletics +4, Perception +4

I’mma need to know what you all decide to do with Lt. Folketh.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 3 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 25/25 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 16 (+5)
Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 4/4 2nd 1/2 | Bardic Inspiration: 1/3

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions

With Ser Michelle

Mery stifles a self-deprecating grin at Ser Michelle's gibe about her paranoid mind. She knows her own foibles well enough to know that she does in fact tend to be more suspicious than the average person and that the lieutenant's comment is not entirely unmerited. 'If she knew what I've lived through and the history I've studied, she might understand a little better why I can at times be suspicious to the point of seeming paranoid about people.'

But the current moment is not the time for such a conversation, and she turns to meet Ser Michelle's eyes. "I am afraid that I am holding on to your handkerchief for now due to the large number of things competing for my attention at present. I give you my word that I will seek you out either this evening, tonight, or absolutely no later than in the morning to further discuss your handkerchief with you, but for now, let me simply assure you, Ser Michelle, that it is my earnest intention to take full responsibility for the damage I caused and to do whatever it takes to see your handkerchief restored to its former glory and returned to you. Moreover, while it is in my possession, I promise to guard it as though it were a precious treasure. Unfortunately, given the current number of tasks on my plate, I believe that I will not be able to get started on arranging the repair of your handkerchief until tomorrow at the earliest. I offer my sincere apologies for both the damage and the delay, and I believe you will understand the need for the delay soon enough. I may have something additional for you when I seek you out, something I sincerely hope you may find to be a pleasant surprise. Now, until I am able to seek you out, I bid you a good day." As much as she wants to discuss the ciphered message with Ser Michelle, Mery fears it will only raise more questions and right now, she just lacks the time to address them. She puts Handsome into a gallop and makes her way toward Vogler and Thornwall Keep.

At Thornwall Keep

Ser Becklin's rapid-fire questions take Mery aback for just a moment, and given the sensitive nature of the argument she needs to make as well as her lack of hard evidence, her mind races as she tries to decide on the best way to respond. She finally replies, "While I certainly understand your urgency, Ser Becklin, there is a new threat I need to make you aware of before I answer your questions. It exists within Cudgel's regiment and I believe this individual has most likely sold out to the Red Dragon Army. It is not Cudgel herself. I only have awareness of one person comprising this threat, although there may be more I am not aware of. Since learning of this threat, I've been asking myself what their most likely agenda is, and I think I've narrowed it down to two things: the first would be to either stop or at least limit the evacuation of Vogler, given that the Red Dragon Army most likely wants to travel from Vogler to Kalaman by boat. If the villagers take most of the boats, then there's no way for the Red Dragon Army to get there, or at least not very many of their soldiers, so keeping as many boats as possible here makes sense if you're them. And I think that their second likely agenda is to kill either you and/or Darrett, but since you're a full knight while Darrett is only a squire, I'd say that makes you a more likely target. You more than anyone else in Vogler have the ability to get word to the rest of the Knights of Solamnia, who can defend against these invaders, and I would imagine that fighting the Knights is not something the Red Dragon Army particularly wants to do. It's better for them if they can take out anyone with the ability to get word to the Knights about what's going on."

"I'd like to discuss this at least somewhat further with you and at the very least let you know the identity of the individual I believe to be the source of the threat, but I also want to acknowledge your eagerness to get Cudgel's regiment into place. Given the source of the threat, I would ask that we do not have this conversation with anyone from Cudgel's regiment in the same building as us."

"My companions and I did in fact stop all of the soldiers on the bluff, and we even took one of their lieutenants captive. We are all fine and I believe they have headed over to start the tasks necessary to evacuate. They are not aware of this threat, as it is something I alone picked up on, quite by luck. I wanted to tell them about it and got as far as telling them there's something I need to alert them to, but then we had some delays and they were rather eager to get the evacuation started so I made a judgement call not to tell them so they could just go and get started. That's the main reason I'm here right now and they aren't."

Mery now gazes earnestly at Ser Becklin. "Now, given my belief that a threat to the evacuation exists within Cudgel's regiment, how would you like to proceed?" She waits patiently for the older woman to respond.

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (3 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Heat Metal

Until the spell ends (up to 1 minute), you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage (1d8 fire damage for each level the spell is cast at, minimum 2nd level) again.

Ammunition:

17 arrows in quiver, 1 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 2nd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bard spells available for spontaneous casting: 

• Cantrips (2/2 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery
  • 1st level (4/4 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds, unseen servant
  • 2nd (2/2 slots): invisibility, heat metal

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration, recovered after a long rest
  • Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)
  • Bardic College = College of Lore. Gain expertise in 2 skills you already have proficiency in, and proficiency in 3 new skills. (Choosing Persuasion and Deception for Expertise, adding Nature, Stealth, and Religion for Proficiency.)

OOC

@Kamishiro_Rin Given Ser Becklin's eagerness to get Cudgel's regiment into place, I think I want to give Ser Becklin a chance to respond to Mery's comments thus far before I have her try to persuade Ser Becklin to take the course of action I have in mind. I figure Ser Becklin'll be more able to listen to Mery if Becklin's taken whatever action she deems to be in the villagers' best interests given the new threat. (I'm kinda figuring Becklin'll still want to notify Cudgel's regiment to get into place because I am not aware of any other options for making the evacuation as safe as possible for the villagers.)

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)

MerituuliToken.png.53f9774174cd1fbd27a1aa51cf1736c8.pngMerituuli Kaiutin

Level 3 Sea Elf Far Traveler Beast Master Ranger

AC: 18 (Scale Mail, +2 Shield) | HP: 36/36 (3d10+6+6) | Speed: 30 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 17 (Expertise, Darkvision 60 ft.), Insight 15, Investigation 10
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 17 (+3) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Kenderspeak, Kharolian, Khur

“My words” | ‘My thoughts’  | My actions . . .

Judging by Ser Michelle's response to her handkerchief being inspected, Merituuli intuits that the lieutenant had no idea about the secret encoded message hidden within. She deserves to know that much, at least.  Approaching the Dragon Army Lieutenant after Mery rides off, the shoal elf attempts to provide some comfort, saying, "I have a feeling you didn't know this, but... there was an extra layer of cloth inside your handkerchief, with an embroidered message on it. Unfortunately, it's encoded, and I couldn't make heads or tails of it with a quick look. I trust Mery to figure it out, though. If what you're saying is true, that it was a final gift from your father, it could very well be a message from him. But... I think you also understand we need to be cautious. You're still an enemy officer, and it could very well be orders from your superiors that you're lying about having no knowledge of."

He thinks for a moment before moving over to Artanis and whispering, "Mery's been wanting to speak with Cudgel about something important, but I'm not sure what. She may believe there's still a traitor among the Ironclad Regiment judging by her request to avoid them with Ser Michelle in tow. That, or she thinks the Regiment will take their frustration out on a captured officer. I say we go directly to Ser Becklin at the Keep, with you leading the way. Knightly protocol and such that I have no knowledge of." He gives the new wielder of the Greenshield a wry smile and pat on the shoulder.

He briefly considers discussing plans for the evacuation with the others, but limits it to Artanis for now, whispering once more - "I'll help get the boats ready. I have a feeling the villagers are more likely to gawk at me like the literal fish out of water that I am, plus if any work needs to be done under the water, I'm your man."

OOC

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Movement: —

Reaction: —

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Baculite Shell (Shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+3 bludgeoning damage.

Thorn Whip. Melee Spell Attack: +5 to hit, range 30 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 piercing damage.

Heavy Crossbow (heavy, loading, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 100/400 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d10+2 piercing damage.

Dagger (finesse, light, thrown). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Baculite Shell (Quarterstaff) (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+1 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage.

Net (thrown, special). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 5/15 ft., one target.
Hit: A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net.

Bonus Actions:

Primal Companion: Take Action. As a bonus action on your turn you command your Primal Companion to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. You can also sacrifice one of your attacks when you take the Attack action to command the beast to take the Attack action. If you are incapacitated, the beast can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge.

Other:

Favored Foe. When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

The first time on each of your turns that you hit the favored enemy and deal damage to it, including when you mark it, you can increase that damage by 1d4.

You can use this feature to mark a favored enemy a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This feature’s extra damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d6 at 6th level and to 1d8 at 14th level.

Friend of the Sea. You can communicate simple ideas to any Beast with a swimming speed. It can understand your words but you cannot understand it in return.

Ammunition:

20/20 Crossbow Bolts

Class Features:

• 1/2 Favored Foe Marks
  • 2/3 1st Level Spells

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 19 (Chainmail, Shield +1) | HP: 14/22 (0 THP) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
Str: 17 (+3) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 16 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

"Happy enough to lead the way." Artanis replies to Kai, striding down the dusty cliff path. "And that's good to know, I had wondered what was behind her concerns there. Hopefully she'll be able to explain what she's found out soon. Perhaps that's why she was so suspicious of Lt. Foxworthy's surrender." he muses, largely to himself. Turning his attention back to Kai he continues, "Thankyou, I'm sure having someone on the underside will make getting the ferry going a lot easier, and patching any of the older boats that haven't seen water for a while. I'll make sure anyone who's anxious about the seaworthiness of their craft still gives it a go, and I'll try to flag those ones up to you. Perhaps Coltan can help with quick repairs of those." Eventually he catches up to Thornwall keep, greeting Ser Becklin in the aftermath of Mery's revelations. He presents Lt Foxworthy appropriately, looking for his old sponsor's guidance once more; anxious to hand over responsibility and start getting the townsfolk organised.

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 5) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Battlefield Presence.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark

Urgent Orders  

Helpful Word

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 2/2 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 2/3 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 16 (+1Dex + 3Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 47/44 (3d12+9+6+3) | Speed: 25'
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

Hit Die: 2/3d12 | Rages: 2/3 | Magic Awareness: 1/2

Modri has little to offer about the continuing exchanges. As far as he's concerned, he gave a rough, resilient woman a chance to not die with her face in the dirt, and she accepted. He considers what would've happened had she spat in his face and refused. Would've likely been another scar or two to add along with the gnarly one her soldier gave him... conveniently cauterized due to the flames. It was would've been one dead enemy officer, a sense of justice done, and little additional fanfare.

He but offers one last bit of words before Artanis and others break off with the Lieutenant in tow. "For what it's worth, can't really say I know what sort of code of honor you or your army go by, and can't say it's all that important to me. You do what you feel you need to. You've got a good fight in you, your choice in how you use that fight. For me? Call me crazy, but fighting for the underdogs, the little guys and gals, is just more fun."

He doesn't say noble, or righteous, or just, only 'fun' to state why he's on the opposite side.

As they split off, Modri goes with the group going to the docks. There's little time to waste, his intent is to get to work immediately with handaxe, grit, and sweat to start breaking down the town's transport system and put it to better use. A ferry's a fine thing in peaceful times, but it's not any more.

He cracks his knuckles in anticipation, the day already off to an interesting start with no end in sight. There's a certain peace that comes with the knowledge of a coming storm.

OOC

Will help with tearing down the Ferry system.

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)

Date

The 3rd Day of the Campaign - Early Afternoon

Thornwall Keep

Ser Becklin uth Viharin   When Mery finally finishes speaking, Ser Becklin proclaims, “Breath, child!” half jokingly. But more seriously, she says, “That’s very concerning! Who is this traitor in Cudgel’s ranks?—If not Cudgel herself, in whom I have the utmost faith! As for capturing a prisoner, that’s excellent news!”

After Mery trots off on Handsome, Coltan quickly follows, dashing as fast as his short legs let him. However, as he’s dashing, only about a minute after Mery arrives and says her piece to Ser Becklin, Coltan comes running up. He’s carrying a set of black splint armor with red highlights and a large dragon-headed badge of rank on the chest. On the pauldrons are similar insignia of rank and unit.

“Oh my!” Ser Becklin says, seeing the dwarf run up, carrying the armor. “Ms. Mery, here, says you’ve captured an officer, but all I see is armor! Where’s the rest of the prisoner?”

She holds up the armor and inspects it. “The make is very utilitarian and military—probably a standard issue. I see neither personalization nor emblazoning. Let’s see . . . 3.Lt.-D-2-V . . . Alright. Apprentice of Reorx,” she says the moniker with an air of reverence, and certainly no snark, “You seem in a hurry, so take that with you if you wish, but give me a moment.”

She calls for Darrett, who comes running out of the keep and to her side, with a “Yes, Milady!”

“Darrett, fetch me a screwdriver.”

He comes back with one quickly enough and she uses it to unscrew the insignia from the pauldrons and cuirass. “There you go, Apprentice. Do with it what you will.”

The Prisoner

Keeping her fingers interlocked behind her head, the Lieutenant follows your lead and you all walk back to Thornwall Keep.

Eventually, everyone arrives, where Ser Becklin is waiting with Mery. If Coltan is headed to the smithy, they’ll pass him just as they arrive.

“Prisoner!” Ser Becklin eyes the woman harshly. “Identify yourself and be truthful. Your army has created an emergency situation, so I will not waste time with games. Speak truth or be cut down where you stand!”

“I am Lieutenant Dame Michelle Folketh, commander of the 3rd platoon, Drake company, 2nd battalion, 5th infantry regiment of the Red Dragon Army, Fire of Takhisis’s Invincible Conquering Forces. I have surrendered my arms to the Knight of the Greenshield, Ser Artanis Brightblade who has accepted me under his protection in exchange for my cooperation and capitulation.”

Ser Becklin looks down at the insignia in her hand—3-Lt.-D-2-V —and back at the woman standing at attention before her. She then looks over to Artanis who is indeed holding two swords sheathed in black leather with red, metal damage-guards and buckles.

She sighs and then motions for you all to come with her. “Follow me.” She turns to Darrett. “Darrett, go to the Brass Crab and . . .” she then looks to Mery, “Ask her to provide you two town guards, with an additional four to replace them in pairs on 6-hour shifts. If she asks, just tell her I need them for something important and I’ll explain it later . . . Don’t—don’t mention it in front of Cudgel or any of her Ironclad Regment. Town Guards, Darrett.”

Darrett Highwater, Ser Becklin's Squire   “Yes, Milady!” he says and runs off.

With that, she leads you all into the keep and up to the third floor. She opens a door to a nice, if somewhat Spartan bedroom. Inside, you see a bed, a desk with a chair, and a chest of drawers, and a wardrobe. A single window, a cross-shaped arrow loop barely wide enough to put an arm through allows plenty of light into the room.

“Lieutenant,” she says, “You may stay here and there will be two guards outside your room at all times. There are dresses hanging in the wardrobe and clean undergarments in the drawers. Change out of that gambeson and I’ll have it cleaned. You will be fed as the sun touches the horizon—if your army has not already invaded. You will eat with Darrett and me, then, but remain in this room. A bath will be drawn as the sun disappears. Knock three times, then sit at your bed if you need something, and one of the guards will provide it, within reason. Welcome to Thornwall Keep, Lieutenant. The desk has some parchment, a quill and ink. There is a small library on the fourth floor you may peruse if you wish. You are now a guest of the Knights of Solamnia.”

Dame Michelle stands at attention and salutes. A gesture that that Ser Becklin returns before leaving the room.

With that she leads you all out and shuts the door behind her. A few moments later, three knocks sound and Ser Becklin takes folded pile of clothing and gambeson from her prisoner before closing the door.

It isn’t long before two Town Guards come upstairs and take up their positions. She locks the door with a large key and hands the key to one of the guards, who pockets it.

“You two, speak not of anything you see, here, and don’t converse with the prisoner, but ensure her needs are met. If she asks for more parchment, provide it. Escort her to the library and guard her there if she requests it.”

She turns to Artanis and says, “Ser Artanis, you buckle those swords around your waist and carry them with you. In the unlikely even we have to return them, you will have to have them with you. She’s technically your responsibility, but we’re in a situation where you can’t stay here to guard her—or guard over her.”

“We must begin preparing for the evacuation, and there’s no time to waste!”

She leads you back to the Brass Crab, where an expectant Mayor Raven, Cudgel, Jeyev, and other town elders are waiting you in Room 101.

With the news that the Dragon Army Soldiers have been killed—the capture of the Liutenant is omitted—Cudgel and Jeyev quickly leave to get the Ironclad Regiment in position, north of town to hold off the Dragon Army for as long as they can.

Mayor Raven uth Vogler   “I can’t thank you enough for all that you’re doing for our town,” the Mayor says to you all. “But now I need your help to prepare for the evacuation. We’ve got a little over 400 residents but only enough boats for 200 of them. I need your help in getting the other 200 out, as well . . . and then I’ll need your help convincing them to evacuate.”

Fortunately, Mery was able to identify two methods that let you make up the difference. She and two others spend two hours persuading the residents to pull down their boats in need of simple repairs, boats collecting dust in their sheds, and even boats serving as decorations in homes.

Three more of you spend two hours breaking down the pulley-system that frees up the rafts and small boats that make up the ferry crossing on the Vingaard River.

Once all that is done and prepared, Mayor Raven gathers you in the town square, and sends several pairs of town guards to knock on doors and gather the entire town in the square with you. A member of Cudgel’s Ironclad regiment joins you and informs you that they have taken up a defensive position just north of the town.

Date

The 3rd Day of the Campaign - Late Afternoon, Nearly Evening

Colorful Kingfisher Festival decorations still cover the village circle and the festival stage. Unlike the day before, the people collected in the village center are somber, muttering in worried tones as Mayor Raven takes the stage.

The mayor doesn’t mince words: “A dangerous army is headed for Vogler. The Ironclad Regiment will do what it can to defend our village, but we must be ready to flee.”

Following the mayor’s report, the locals stand in stunned silence. Then their questions come in a wave of shouting, anger, and fear.

It quickly begins boiling over, and the Mayor looks desperate for help calming down the crowd that threatening to turn riotous!

OOC

Bakaris the Younger   All of you needs to make a collective DC 84 Charisma (Intimidation or Persuasion) check in your post with what you do and say to help the mayor regain control of the crowd by speaking in support or explaining evacuation plans. As long as the sum total of your checks is 84 or greater, you succeed.

If you fail, but eh sum total of your checks is 43–83, then Bakaris the Younger, flanked by his goons, will capitalize on this moment of weakness and speak out against evacuation, claiming that Lord Bakaris and his men will protect the town and that together with everyone’s help, they’ll be able to overcome and rout this silly “Dragon” army. He will be surprisingly convincing, and at least two of you will need to individually pass a DC 14 Charisma (Intimidation or Persuasion) check to talk him, and the village down from this delusional approach. It will also take you all and the mayor over an hour to placate the community and get evacuation preparations underway.

If your collective check fails from a minimum of 7–42, then the town will become riotous and panicky and Bakaris the Younger will have gained control over enough of them to severely complicate the evacuation, if not make it nearly impossible as panicked denizens run for the warf to vie for whatever boat they can get on, damn anyone else.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 16 (+5)

Before the Army's Arrival

Mery waits until there's a lull in all the activities and then pulls Ser Becklin to the side, well away from anyone associated with the Ironclad Regiment.  "I believe Jeyev is the source of the threat.  I don't have a lot to go on, it was just a very strong gut feeling, but I trust that instinct, and I'll explain why here in a minute."

"I want you to understand that under more ordinary circumstances and if I'd had more time, I would have first attempted to gather some hard evidence of what Jeyev may be up to before coming to you, but I only got that read on him this morning when we were introduced.  I tried to warn Cudgel, that failed abysmally, but the points she made weren't unreasonable, and given how long she's known him, I can understand why it would be easier for her to trust him than me.  Immediately after that, I went up to the bluff with my companions to deal with the soldiers and lieutenant, and now one of the times I'm worried Jeyev might be inclined to act is upon us.  I felt it better to bring the matter to you even without any hard evidence because I didn't want to carry that worry alone and also because I don't know whether you're coming with the rest of the village to Kalaman or not - you don't need the same protection the villagers do and with us accompanying them, you wouldn't necessarily be needed to protect them.  Given that I believe you are a particular target of Jeyev, I felt it a matter of conscience to at least warn you, because I think there's a course of action you can take without acting unjustly toward Jeyev."

"About my gut instinct - I don't get clear reads on people like I did with Jeyev all that often, but when my read is very clear and it tells me a person is trouble despite their being well-regarded by others, it hasn't yet been wrong.  That's not to say it couldn't one day fail me, but it's been reliable thus far.  And there's another thing:  My birth father abandoned my mother when he learned she was pregnant with me, and when I was 3, she married a parchment maker in Palanthas. I lived in that home for the next 15 years.  My step-father is what I call three-faced; he has a way he acts in public, a way he acts in private when my mother and half-sister are around, and a way he would act when alone with me.  (I currently no longer allow myself to be alone with him.) His public persona makes him seem like a good person, his family persona is similar in a number of ways to how Lord Bakaris acts, and his persona when he was alone with me is kind of a devil who, when I was a maturing child, took delight in verbally ripping my sense of confidence and self-worth to shreds and then finding ways to avoid any responsibility for the hurt he caused when I would try to tell my mother what was happening. As a result of this, I can have difficulty trusting my instincts when they tell me a male is a good man, but given my 15 years of living around a three-faced father figure, I think something in me recognizes that particular pattern when I see it, at least some of the time. I lived with it long enough to be able to recognize it, even if only subconsciously."

"It's an admittedly dubious thing to be able to pick up on, and it's not something I would have ever freely chosen for myself, because it involves seeing something bad in people who are considered good.  That makes it challenging to use in a positive way and I'm honestly still figuring out how to do that.  It can be used for negative things like rumor-mongering, but in this case, I'm hoping it can give you enough of an edge to save your life.  It would also be wonderful to finally have something unabashedly good come out of the pain and suffering I endured living in the same house as my step-father.  While I can name a fairly small number of positive things I learned from what I suffered, they tend to fall into the good example of what NOT to do and painful/difficult but still profitable categories."

"I have one other thought, too.  Jeyev is a mercenary, and while knights and mercenaries both fight, mercs do it for the money.  That's not to say every merc on Krynn would switch loyalties if offered the right payment, or even that every knight could resist that particular temptation, but it does seem to me that if a person wanted to find people who would switch loyalties, it would probably be easier to figure out the sell-out price for a respected merc's loyalty than a respected knight's."

As she finally arrives at the request she wants to make of Ser Becklin, a flood of affection for the woman much like what she felt for Ispin washes over Mery.  She finds it surprising that she would feel like that toward someone she's known for such a short period of time, but she allows some of that warmth of feeling to fill her face as she says, "I just lost Ispin and I really don't want to lose you, too.  Obviously, I can't ask you to take Jeyev into custody given the lack of hard evidence, but could I ask you just to take some extra precautions when you're around him, for as long as this Dragon Army thing is going on?  You know, try not to be alone with him or limit the amount of time you spend alone with him if you can't avoid it, sleep with a weapon under your pillow or near your bed, maybe carry a hidden weapon on your person somewhere?  With as long as you've been a Knight, you may well have better ideas than I do about some good precautions to take.  That way, if I'm wrong, it was just a little wasted extra effort and Jeyev's reputation as a good man can remain intact, but if I'm right, you'll have an extra edge when he finally shows his true colors."

After the Army's Arrival

Mery is quick to speak; after all, persuading people comes naturally to her even if she doesn't always succeed at it.  She pulls out every persuasion trick she knows: standing tall, speaking calmly but authoritatively, projecting her voice, and using what she refers to as her "on" speaking voice, which she'd been told had a pleasant timbre.  "Everyone, please remain calm.  We have had you getting down your boats and dusting them off as well as disassembling the ferry system because we knew something like this might happen.  It's also why the Ironclad Regiment is here - to help buy us the time needed to get into the boats safely and on the way to Kalaman.  My friends and I are also here to help you get to safety, and we will fight for and aid you in whatever way we can." 

"However, you must do your part - we can't do this without you.  Your job is to remain calm, help your fellow villagers into boats, and watch out for each other as we travel.  If you know how to operate a boat, your job is to help people board, then keep the boat moving toward Kalaman once it is full."

"Many of you, like Mayor Raven, are descendants of the original heroes of High Hill, and their same spirit is present in this place.  I tell you, this is the High Hill of YOUR time.  This army wants to use YOUR boats to travel to Kalaman and presumably assault it.  Every boat we get on the river is a boat they can't use to accomplish that goal.  Every boat we get on the river says to this army, 'We are Solamnians and Voglerites.  We might not be soldiers, and you might be able to force us to flee our homes, but even in our fleeing, we will STILL find a way to keep you from achieving your goal.'"

"It is said that only the dead feel no fear.  It is also said that courage is not the absence of fear; it's just fear that's said its prayers.  So, say your prayers, remember we are all in this together, and let's create an experience that YOUR descendants may one day wish to re-enact in honor of YOUR courage this day!"

She then meets the eyes of each of her companions in turn. Even with her aptitude in persuading people, this was going to take all of them to pull off.

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Heat Metal

Until the spell ends (up to 1 minute), you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage (1d8 fire damage for each level the spell is cast at, minimum 2nd level) again.

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 2nd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bard spells available for spontaneous casting: 

• 1st level (4/4 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds, unseen servant

Class Features:

• Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)
  • Bardic College = College of Lore. Gain expertise in 2 skills you already have proficiency in, and proficiency in 3 new skills. (Choosing Persuasion and Deception for Expertise, adding Nature, Stealth, and Religion for Proficiency.)

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here

Name
Persuasion check - ask Becklin to take precautions
1d20+7 1
Persuasion check - calm the villagers and get them on the boats
1d20+7 3
Persuasion check - ask Becklin to take precautions (adv. for good arguments)
1d20+7 11

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Level 3 Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 19 (Splint armor +2 Shield) | HP: 31/31 (3d8+9+3) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: Speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

Coltan nods and replies, "the others are bringing her here by boat. We wanted to bring you the news."

The dwarf smiles when Ser Beckett removes the insignias. It was the first thing that he planned to do anyway. The smith unslings his pack, retrieves his smith's tools, and starts refitting his new armor while waiting for the prisoner to arrive.

After Mery reveals her suspicions, Coltan looks up from his work and offers, "well, we know mercenaries of the regiment were bribed by the dragonarmy. It's possible that not all of traitors were identified. Perhaps, the prisoner might know who was the primary contact in the regiment. It would probably be the highest ranking traitor, so she may confirm Jeyev's actions."

Starting the evacuation

After Mery's impassioned speech, the Apprentice of Reorx ascends the festival stage in his new splint armor. He holds his bluish warhammer aloft and ignites it in radiant, heatless flames. "People of Vogler, it is time to evacuate your homes. Reorx and your ingenuity can replace your possessions and homes, but your lives are too precious. Take only what you need on the boats. The dragonarmies are approaching now."

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 3 magic, fire damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 3 magic, fire damage.

Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 2 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 2 bludgeoning damage.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 3/4 | 2nd 0/2

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

1st level spells prepared

• Identify (V,S,M) Ritual. You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.
  • Searing Smite (V). The next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during the spell's duration, your weapon flares with white-hot intensity, and the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target and causes the target to ignite in flames. At the start of each of its turns until the spell ends, the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the spell ends. If the target or a creature within 5 feet of it uses an action to put out the flames, or if some other effect douses the flames (such as the target being submerged in water), the spell ends.
  1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

2nd-Level Spells Prepared

• Heat Metal (V,S,M) Concentration. Choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, that you can see within range. You cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage when you cast the spell. Until the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again. If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes the damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn't drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the start of your next turn.
  • Magic Weapon (V,S) Concentration. You touch a nonmagical weapon. Until the spell ends, that weapon becomes a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls.
  • 6. Spiritual Weapon (V,S) Bonus. When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon. On a hit, the target takes force damage equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.

Channel Divinity: 1/1 short rest

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Artisan's Blessing. You conduct an hour-long ritual that crafts a nonmagical item that must include some metal: a simple or martial weapon, a suit of armor, ten pieces of ammunition, a set of tools, or another metal object (see chapter 5, "Equipment," in the Player's Handbook for examples of these items). The creation is completed at the end of the hour, coalescing in an unoccupied space of your choice on a surface within 5 feet of you.  The thing you create can be something that is worth no more than 100 gp. As part of this ritual, you must lay out metal, which can include coins, with a value equal to the creation. The metal irretrievably coalesces and transforms into the creation at the ritual's end, magically forming even nonmetal parts of the creation. The ritual can create a duplicate of a nonmagical item that contains metal, such as a key, if you possess the original during the ritual.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)
Name
Group Persuasion to evacuate
drop(2d20,lowest,1)+1 1,4

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 16 (+1Dex + 3Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 47/44 (3d12+9+6+3) | Speed: 25'
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

Hit Die: 2/3d12 | Rages: 2/3 | Magic Awareness: 1/2

Modri says no words to try to sway the crowd. While others speak, Modri instead puts on his best scowl, and folds his arms, taking some time to look at anyone in the crowd starting to push back, question the need for the evacuation, or even make a pain of themselves in other ways.

Huh. Didn't think we'd need to win them over to save them. Bah! This is why I come to trade then be off on my ways. Let others play the politics game.

OOC

Intimidation Check

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)
Name
Intimidation (Group Check)
1d20+1 10

MerituuliToken.png.53f9774174cd1fbd27a1aa51cf1736c8.pngMerituuli Kaiutin

Level 3 Sea Elf Far Traveler Beast Master Ranger

AC: 18 (Scale Mail, +2 Shield) | HP: 36/36 (3d10+6+6) | Speed: 30 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 17 (Expertise, Darkvision 60 ft.), Insight 15, Investigation 10
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 17 (+3) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Kenderspeak, Kharolian, Khur

“My words” | ‘My thoughts’  | My actions . . .

As Mayor Raven addresses the gathered citizens of Vogler, Merituuli can practically feel the rising tension in the air. He looks around nervously as a veritable tidal wave of questions, shouting, and screams threaten to overwhelm the Mayor's control of the situation. Damn it, say something! What would Mother do?

In the moment, though, Merituuli is so overwhelmed by the panic that he can't think of anything to say. Instead he stands there dumbly, eyes rapidly swinging between every angry and frightened face in the crowd, fully able to understand but completely incapable of changing how they felt.

OOC

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Movement: —

Reaction: —

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Baculite Shell (Shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+3 bludgeoning damage.

Thorn Whip. Melee Spell Attack: +5 to hit, range 30 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 piercing damage.

Heavy Crossbow (heavy, loading, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 100/400 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d10+2 piercing damage.

Dagger (finesse, light, thrown). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Baculite Shell (Quarterstaff) (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+1 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage.

Net (thrown, special). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 5/15 ft., one target.
Hit: A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net.

Bonus Actions:

Primal Companion: Take Action. As a bonus action on your turn you command your Primal Companion to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. You can also sacrifice one of your attacks when you take the Attack action to command the beast to take the Attack action. If you are incapacitated, the beast can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge.

Other:

Favored Foe. When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

The first time on each of your turns that you hit the favored enemy and deal damage to it, including when you mark it, you can increase that damage by 1d4.

You can use this feature to mark a favored enemy a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This feature’s extra damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d6 at 6th level and to 1d8 at 14th level.

Friend of the Sea. You can communicate simple ideas to any Beast with a swimming speed. It can understand your words but you cannot understand it in return.

Ammunition:

20/20 Crossbow Bolts

Class Features:

• 1/2 Favored Foe Marks
  • 2/3 1st Level Spells
Edited by PhoenixSlayer (see edit history)
Name
Group Persuasion Attempt
1d20-1 1

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 19 (Chainmail, Shield +1) | HP: 14/22 (0 THP) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
Str: 17 (+3) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 16 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

Artanis nods at Ser Becklin's advice, more than happy to keep hold of the sword for now if the knight's imprisonment is take care of. Even without Mery's concerns over the Ironclads he'd been slightly concerned that shepherding her around town where they could see her was going to get more and more complicated.

When they make their way back to the Brass Crab he's explains along with the others their findings, and nods relieved that the Mayor has agreed to evacuation. Before heading to the square, he takes a moment to check on his steed, and hook the lance on the side. Given their time pressures and the fact he might need to cover quite a bit of ground persuading people to get their boats out of all the nooks and crannies, he figures he'd do as well mounting up on the way to the square. Plus any particularly stuck boats might need a little help being pulled free.

In the square he's not surprised the Mayors words bring distress. This was not a town used to war, none of the towns in Solamnia these days were really. Not even Artanis was. To have the tragedy of High Hill averted, people considering themselves safe, for this to land was a blow many would struggle to get up from again. There was little he could say that Mery hadn't already in her impassioned speech, but he could be a symbol. He stands tall astride Tiergan's straps, green tabard fluttering in the slight breeze, and Greenshield held proud. "Many of you recognise me, following the battle. I'm not from Vogler, and none of my companions are. But I'm not some high and mighty noble. I come from the same kind of town as you all, a little village that doesn't have wars. What it does have though, is problems every year. A big storm kills the harvest, Old Stammerton loves half his herd to blight, the church collapses. What do you do when that happens? How do we fix it? We pull together, not apart. Vogler is made of it's people, and if we pull together, it will be tomorrow too."

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 5) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Battlefield Presence.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark

Urgent Orders  

Helpful Word

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 2/2 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 2/3 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (5 THP).

Name
Persuasion Check
1d20+7 20

When she sees the scowl cross Modri's face and the subsequent display of intimidating manner, Mery can't help but inwardly chuckle a little. 'I'll have to tell him later this kind of situation isn't really my cup of tea either.'

However, it's the panicked expression on Kai's face that pushes her to act.  'Huh.  Maybe shoal Elves aren't prone to riotous behavior.'  She comes up to stand next to him, places her hand on his arm in a gesture of reassurance, and begins speaking in low tones to him.  

"Courage, friend.  We may pull this off yet if we keep working together.  I haven't felt very effective recently myself dealing with people, but I'm certainly not going to stop trying!"

"When I was younger, people would occasionally ask my mother, my sister and I to perform music in front of a crowd, and just before we were due to get started, I used to get very nervous. My mother taught me that if I would take 3 or 4 deep, slow breaths, it would help ease that. She was right, and I've found it helps to ease other uncomfortable feelings like fear and panic as well. So breathe, Kai. It's gonna be okay, even if it takes a little longer or gets a little rougher than we might hope." Privately, Mery's not so certain of this, but she remembers from her studies of persuasion and influence that while fear and panic can spread from person to person, so can calmness and steadiness. For good measure, she takes a few of her own deep, slow breaths. Then something occurs to her. "Come to think of it, if the others can't finish calming this crowd enough to get them moving into the boats, this gives me an idea." The idea reinforces her confidence that she and her friends can do this, and she hopes that her confidence will bolster Kai and the others, too.

"Remember, too, if everyone was good at this sort of thing, we'd be less effective when we needed a strong swimmer or a sharp pair of eyes and ears." She winks at the shoal Elf as she speaks the final sentence, and upon finishing, steps back a little, relaxing somewhat when Ser Artanis' words have a noticeable effect quieting some of the crowd's unease.

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

Heat Metal

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Class Features:

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 26/26 (hd 3d8) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 15 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 17 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

For her part, Hunni goes along with the others, and in her simple way, tries to convince the villagers to 'run like crazy,' although that seems to mean get the boats ready and get everything prepared for the evacuation. She doesn't pay much attention to the prisoner, or the politics going on around her.

Honestly, her clan would have probably run away ages ago, once they became aware of the dragon army. The whole mess confuses her more than anything else.

That said, she does her best to explain the gully dwarf wisdom to the villagers.

"We need to run. Like crazy. Be fast, not dead. Carry what you can, run, and hide," she advises, to anyone who stops to listen.

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 5 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10 + cha) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 13, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Improved Pact Weapon varies, usually whip (+1 to hit, damage, spell focus)

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 4) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

Staff of the Python (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d6 +3) bludgeoning damage.
Versatile: (1d8 +3) bludgeoning damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Normally Staff of the Python, but also always Pact Weapon.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  2 / 2, cast at 2nd level

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 2nd level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 13.  Spell Attack Modifier +5.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite, Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Unseen Servant, Blur
  • Invocations:  Improved Pact Weapon, Agonizing Blast

Name
Charisma (Persuasion)
1d20+3 7

token_1.png.ba18d35c074c2d2a05b1e13a8e573631.pngDecimus - Initiate of High Sorcery | Bladesinger Wizard | Human

AC: 13 [+ 3 Bladesinging][+5 Shield]  | HP: 13/21 | Speed: 40 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 15
STR: Score: -1
Athletics: -1
| DEXScore: +3
Acrobatics: +3
Stealth: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
:
 16 | CONScore: 214 | INTScore: +3
Arcana: +5
History: +5
Investigation: +5
Nature: +3
Religion: +5
:
 16 | WISScore: 0

Animal Handling: 0
Insight: +2
Medicine: 0
Perception: +2
Survival: 0
:
 10 | CHAScore: -1

Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Performance: -1
Persuasion: -1
:
Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Primordial

FeatsWar CasterPrerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting Spells in the midst of Combat, learning Techniques that grant you the following benefits:
You have advantage on Constitution Saving Throws that you make to maintain your Concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic Components of Spells even when you have Weapons or a Shield in one or both hands.
When a Hostile creature’s Movement provokes an opportunity Attack from you, you can use your Reaction to Cast a Spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity Attack. The spell must have a Casting Time of 1 Action and must target only that creature.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
Arcane RecoverYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
BladesongYou can invoke an elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus. You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time (no action required). While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits: You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

| ActionsRapierATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword)

Bladesinging Rapier StrikeATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword) 

| SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self
Target: Self
Components: V S
Duration: 1 round
Description:You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Booming BladeBooming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self (5ft radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: 1 round
Description:You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).

Green Flame Blade1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, and you can cause green fire to leap from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target on a hit, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 2d8) and 17th level (3d8 and 3d8).

1st-Level <2/4>
Expeditious Retreat1st Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: This spell allows you to move at an incredible pace. When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the Dash action.

Magic Missile1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120ft
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Tensors Floating Disk1st Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 30 Feet
Target: An unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (A drop of mercury)
Duration: 1 Hour
Classes: Wizard
Description: This spell creates a circular, horizontal plane of force, 3 feet in diameter and 1 inch thick, that floats 3 feet above the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range. The disk remains for the duration, and can hold up to 500 pounds. If more weight is placed on it, the spell ends, and everything on the disk falls to the ground. The disk is immobile while you are within 20 feet of it. If you move more than 20 feet away from it, the disk follows you so that it remains within 20 feet of you. It can move across uneven terrain, up or down stairs, slopes and the like, but it can’t cross an elevation change of 10 feet or more. For example, the disk can’t move across a 10-foot-deep pit, nor could it leave such a pit if it was created at the bottom. If you move more than 100 feet from the disk (typically because it can’t move around an obstacle to follow you), the spell ends.

Tash's Hideous Laughter1st Level Enchantment
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (Tiny tarts and a feather that is waved in the air)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Classes: Bard, Wizard
Description: A creature of your choice that you can see within range perceives everything as hilariously funny and falls into fits of laughter if this spell affects it. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone, becoming incapacitated and unable to stand up for the duration. A creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected. At the end of each of its turns, and each time it takes damage, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. The target has advantage on the saving throw if it’s triggered by damage. On a success, the spell ends.

Identify1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Casting Time: 1 Minute
Range: Touch
Target: One object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell
Components: V S M (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Wizard
Description: You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.

Detect Magic1st Level Divination
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any. The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Absorb Elements1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take when you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Components: S
Classes: Artificer, Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next melee attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type, and the spell ends. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Charm Person1st Level Enchantment
Target: A humanoid you can see within range
Classes: Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Comprehend Languages1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Components: V S M (A pinch of soot and salt)
Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text. This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]
Shield1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Duration: 1 Round
Description: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]
2nd-Level <2/2>
Misty Step2nd Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Components: V
Description: Briefly surrounded by silvery mist, you teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see.

Shadow Blade2nd Level Illusion
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Components: V, S
Duration: ConcentrationUp to 1 minute/em>
Description: You weave together threads of shadow to create a sword of solidified gloom in your hand. This magic sword lasts until the spell ends. It counts as a simple melee weapon with which you are proficient. It deals 2d8 psychic damage on a hit and has the finesse, light, and thrown properties (range 20/60). In addition, when you use the sword to attack a target that is in dim light or darkness, you make the attack roll with advantage.
If you drop the weapon or throw it, it dissipates at the end of the turn. Thereafter, while the spell persists, you can use a bonus action to cause the sword to reappear in your hand.
At Higher Levels When you cast this spell using a 3rd- or 4th-level spell slot, the damage increases to 3d8. When you cast it using a 5th- or 6th-level spell slot, the damage increases to 4d8. When you cast it using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the damage increases to 5d8.

Decimus feels slightly awkward on stage with the group, feeling grimy from the battle and worn down from their work with the rigging for the boats, this is the last thing he had been prepared to do for their escape, but they had come this far to help save the people of Vogler, stopping now, just shy of their goal, was foolish. Adjusting his sakkat, hearing the rather convincing (in his opinion) words of his smallest friend, he brings the hat back, his one eye narrowing slightly as the light hits his face. His insides squirm as he opens his mouth, his brain whirring madly trying to figure out what words he should use, but the empty thoughts do not seem to connect with his mouth, instead, the words pour from his heart and into those of the crowd, his normally lazy speech being projected forth.

"In times of war and tragedy, it is easy to give up and let ourselves become enslaved by fear, but dig deep, find that strength, step off of these shores with us and save one another"

spacer.png

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Edited by tyrtaeus (see edit history)
Name
Charisma Check for Crowd
1d20-1 20
Mery’s Bardic Inspiration
1d6 4

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 4/4 2nd 0/2 | Bardic Inspiration: 0/3

Hunni's speech is about as effective as one would expect a Gully Dwarf's to be, but Mery estimates it's about as effective as her own was. 'And here I thought mine was a good speech, too, but I guess it was too sophisticated for these villagers.'

Decimus' words, however, despite their brevity, have a noticeable effect calming the crowd, leaving a strange electric current in the air as the villagers teeter between calming down and giving in to their fears again. Acting quickly, before their fears have the chance to take hold again, Mery turns to Decimus and begins to sing:

🎵 An electrifying moment 🎶
🎶 A blast of lightning through the storm 🎵
🎵 I see it as an omen 🎶
🎶 And I choose to carry on. 🎵
🎵 This is what those tales are made of 🎶
🎶 It is rather true to form 🎵

OOC

Action -

Bonus Action: Inspire Decimus

Movement -

Mount Action -

Mount Movement -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

Heat Metal

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Class Features:

OOC

Music Credit: somethinggood by Dave 1 and P-Thugg